Lots of metal Heads feel that this genre has
nothing to offer, that it is unintelegent and
without feeling, that it's all about smokin'
joints and gang wars.

But others may realize that rap and metal
arn't so different after all. Just look at
How Public Enemy Did a Song with Anthrax,
It's simple, both metal and rap can tend to have
rebelious and politically themed music. (punk to actually)
They both can indicate Drug problems and spiritual
Awareness.

For me, Rap is my favorite Genre of Music second
only to metal (Of Course!) Because I feel, well......
Pretty much the same as how I explained on the previous
Paragraph. It's intelligent, Political and for the most part
rebellious music. It also sounds good to me, If it's a good
M.C., the words flow like water with the Beat in the background.

So, what about you, is it stupid to you?
Do just not like the Sound?
Or maby you Love the sound,
and hey, do you relate to it?

Go Forth and Tell me!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: If you're going to critisize this genre of Music in any Negative way, Please make sure you critisize it with some inteligence. Statements like "The Only Good Rapper is a dead one," WILL BE MARKED AS A SPAM POST!!!
So please, remember that, and we're cool
12.02.2007 - 23:26
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=20319] on 12.02.2007 at 04:41

Written by Arian Totalis on 12.02.2007 at 04:20

Written by [user id=20319] on 12.02.2007 at 04:12

Written by Arian Totalis on 12.02.2007 at 03:36

Written by [user id=20319] on 12.02.2007 at 02:15

Really? As far as I knew, Easy left. But shows what I know in depth on the rap scene. His non-presence on Chin Check through me off. I'll look more into the later stuff .

Well, what happened is that Ice Cube Got tired of eazy Ripping him off, so he left and released the Diss track on Eazy called "No Lube" and then Dre left because he got tired of Eazy's Shit and formed his own Record label with suge knight (Death Row Records) and released the diss track "Fuck Wit Dre Day" and after that it all sorta fell apart for NWA so Eazy and Ren also pursued solo careers, the only former member of NWA that Didn't have a succesful career was MC Ren.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.03.2007 - 20:54
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
lately I've been listening to Dre's "The Chronic" and that album is Legendary. I really like how it starts off with Snoop Dogg Steppin' to ruthless records.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

22.04.2007 - 00:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Any Cypress hill fans?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

22.04.2007 - 01:24
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
I'm not trying to spam here but how is rap music? I don't mean that in a negative way but when you look at it, isn't rap more like a type of poetic reading then music? I mean, there's no singing involved, just a person talking about different subjects (usually telling a story with some emotion from what ive heard) and the backround sounds sound very computerized so isn't that kind of like a poetic reading? Correct me if i'm wrong, just asking.
22.04.2007 - 02:10
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Music is the deliberate arrangement of sound in time. I don't see how rap doesn't fit this description.
22.04.2007 - 02:50
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I never liked Rap music, but I respect it. The problem is that, IMO, 90% of rap musicians went awfully comercial (any music is more or less comercial), but I think, Rap was once underground music, and it had some message at least. Of course, some rappers, still try to spread some thoughts through their music, but mosto of them want money and fame, better than music. So if I sometimes say "Rap sucks" i think of that kind of stuff. Others, have my respect, at least.
----
22.04.2007 - 06:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=19092] on 22.04.2007 at 01:24

I'm not trying to spam here but how is rap music? I don't mean that in a negative way but when you look at it, isn't rap more like a type of poetic reading then music? I mean, there's no singing involved, just a person talking about different subjects (usually telling a story with some emotion from what ive heard) and the backround sounds sound very computerized so isn't that kind of like a poetic reading? Correct me if i'm wrong, just asking.

Well actually lots of rappers now-a-days actually use real instruments and bands to produce albums, maby with some use for computerised sounds. Dr. Dre actually writes out the instrumentation to all of his beats. And Grouips like the roots actually play live instruments. Lots of rappers use R&B Singers in their choruses, so there's your vocals, and rapping is more than just talking, it's an art form. If I just talk and say a bunch of rhymers, it's different than actually rapping lines. Rap, Dispite what some extremists say (Not calling you an extremist, but I know some) IS a Legitimate genre of music.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

22.04.2007 - 07:19
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 22.04.2007 at 06:18

Written by [user id=19092] on 22.04.2007 at 01:24

Well actually lots of rappers now-a-days actually use real instruments and bands to produce albums, maby with some use for computerised sounds. Dr. Dre actually writes out the instrumentation to all of his beats. And Grouips like the roots actually play live instruments. Lots of rappers use R&B Singers in their choruses, so there's your vocals, and rapping is more than just talking, it's an art form. If I just talk and say a bunch of rhymers, it's different than actually rapping lines. Rap, Dispite what some extremists say (Not calling you an extremist, but I know some) IS a Legitimate genre of music.

Well I suppose your right when you put it like that. I had no idea rap artists actualy use instuments and actual singing nowadays , but then again all I hear is mainstream rap that people in my school listen to. Guess whichever part of a music style is most mainstream is usually the worst .
22.04.2007 - 11:56
Jg1
Some rap songs have very boring background, but I know many that are beautiful. Even some mainstream songs like Eminem have quite good, melodic backs. Also, some songs use real piano or other instruments, for example Curse-Was ist jetzt or Eminem-Stan(live)
23.04.2007 - 13:10
charon
Account deleted
I think rap is proper crap music...so boring...sorry to all rap fans but that is just my opinion.
23.04.2007 - 16:52
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Arian Totalis on 22.04.2007 at 00:53

Any Cypress hill fans?

Awesome!
I am sorry I didn't reply earlier, I went to see them alive few years ago, here in Novi Sad and they are awesome, many metalheads came, only think I minded were gipsies that thinks that they are negroes so they were going around pushing other people, and than fight started... idiots
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
24.04.2007 - 03:16
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by APOHAKC on 23.04.2007 at 16:52

Written by Arian Totalis on 22.04.2007 at 00:53

Any Cypress hill fans?

Awesome!
I am sorry I didn't reply earlier, I went to see them alive few years ago, here in Novi Sad and they are awesome, many metalheads came, only think I minded were gipsies that thinks that they are negroes so they were going around pushing other people, and than fight started... idiots

Yeah Dude Cypress is the Shit. I am Borrowing their Fourth album from a friend and they are Soooo sick. Seriously, that shit is insane. Have you ever heard tequila Sunrise? If not here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaxVViPUQtI

Some Guys thought they were black? Cypress Hill is Mexicans lol.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

05.05.2007 - 16:53
Sunioj
I think the album name is Cypress hill IV? If thats the right name, thats one of my favorite albums of all time, Live at the philmore is also a really really good live album.
05.05.2007 - 20:38
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Sunioj on 05.05.2007 at 16:53

I think the album name is Cypress hill IV? If thats the right name, thats one of my favorite albums of all time, Live at the philmore is also a really really good live album.

Yes you're right, I just checked. I knew it was IV but I thought maby it had a title as well, seeing as how III was "Temples of Boom"
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

06.05.2007 - 12:46
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Does anybody here dig Cunninlynguists?

I am listening to "A Piece of Strange" and this already may be among my favourite hip-hop albums.

Overall I am not very familiar with hip-hop but I really love Aesop Rock, Immortal Technique and "Cold Vein" by Cannibal Ox. Oh, and Dälek is also great, I especially like the song "Forever Close My Eyes" (although IMO it's on the border of hip-hop music).
06.05.2007 - 16:31
APOHAKC
The Bard
It is not bad, I used to listen that some time ago.. But nothing special
@Hellraizer - Yeah dude, that album kick ass, and Live at Philmore is also fucking great, it is always in my deck so I can turn that on when I get tired of metal
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
06.05.2007 - 17:29
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by APOHAKC on 06.05.2007 at 16:31

It is not bad, I used to listen that some time ago.. But nothing special
@Hellraizer - Yeah dude, that album kick ass, and Live at Philmore is also fucking great, it is always in my deck so I can turn that on when I get tired of metal

yeah dude it's in my CD player right now
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

06.05.2007 - 23:18
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Jg1 on 22.04.2007 at 11:56
Also, some songs use real piano or other instruments, for example Eminem-Stan(live)

Eminem's Stan uses actually the melody of Dido's song "Thank You" and it's chorus. In fact "Stan" and "Thank You" share the chorus. And Dido herself sings it in both songs. She also appeared in the video of Eminem as well.

I don't remember the performers but some rap group used the song "Boadicea" by Enya as a melodic background in their song, particularly in the chorus section. It seems common to use other musician's and their songs as a musical background in rap recitative tracks.
07.05.2007 - 19:38
Jg1
I said Stan live(some awards show I think), that's the version where Elton John plays piano.
07.05.2007 - 23:07
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Jg1 on 07.05.2007 at 19:38

I said Stan live(some awards show I think), that's the version where Elton John plays piano.

I didn't know about that....but did Dido perform there as well?
08.05.2007 - 02:28
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Magnus and Frodo of Steel: Using other peoples songs in the background is what we call sampleing, yes it is common. But lots of rappers also use origional beats as well.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

08.05.2007 - 10:43
Jg1
Written by Ernis on 07.05.2007 at 23:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2p7oE7Bpw
I was wrong, it looks like he is using keyboard not piano, but anyway he is playing it not using beat.
Who does not know, this is one time live version, the song itself uses sample and Dido's vocals.

I like this song, as it shows rap does not have to use electronic beat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZrVzoPSeTQ
08.05.2007 - 23:19
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Jg1 on 08.05.2007 at 10:43

Well, the music behind is very somber, and melancholy, but I don't like the rapper. Maby I would like it better if I could understand lol.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

15.05.2007 - 13:24
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Jg1 on 08.05.2007 at 10:43

Ok, I saw the video....well...I have never been a fan of Elton John's music....so I tell you honestly that I prefer Dido's version....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2p7oE7Bpw
I was wrong, it looks like he is using keyboard not piano, but anyway he is playing it not using beat.
Who does not know, this is one time live version, the song itself uses sample and Dido's vocals.

22.05.2007 - 00:09
BrightNight
I do not have trouble with HipHop but I really hate Rap music, especially the Gangstah rap stuff. I also really dislike the whole "vibe" whats around it. Talking/rapping about how cool you are, how many cars youve got, that youve got much friends (all with big arms, and sixpacs), how much money youve got, your "soldiers" and how many Woman you can get (whores in my humble opinion). I dislike the Player type's, and my stumache turns around 3 times when i see a though looking gangstah rapper in a car which bounces through the street......gold around his neck even B.A Barrackus from the freaking A-Team would be jealous at.....it's all about how you look and how rich you are....and how many times youve got shot by the mothah f*cking police, or something like that.....

If i turn on any singel music channel on tv i get to see those rappers....every minut of the day they are there...to me this is a sign how many dumb people there are on the world. It makes me sick really. Its pathetic and uninteresting. The worst thing of it all is that it makes kids think thats its "NORMAL" what they see on tv....talking about woman like they are whores, talking about shooting niggahs and cops and that kind of stuff. Its not very bright now is it? Very unintelligent. Lots of kids start acting like a Gangstah Rapper.

I respect every ones taste in music and your own oppions, but i will never respect Rap music.

Heavy Metal stands for everything what Rap music is NOT. There is nothing the same in them to me. Thats also why i say that Metal bands who use rappers are no metal bands. Rap is not about singing or music, its about talking something you writed down about how cool you are or how pathetic your youth was or how difficult it is living on the street (all the same to me) and then put a Beat behind it (often stolen from some great musician or band) and some whores in your clip on the tv. Thats How i personally see it.

But i can see why lots of people like this shit.....nobody is the same. I will also respect Metal heads who like rap music....but i will never think they get the feeling i have with the Heavy Metal life style....because in my humble opinion there cant be rap in Heavy Metal.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
22.05.2007 - 00:43
darksun
I don't think rap is a real music.But to tell the truth gangsta's paradise was among my fav. in music history.But i know that was just an exception.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
22.05.2007 - 03:34
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by BrightNight on 22.05.2007 at 00:09

I do not have trouble with HipHop but I really hate Rap music, especially the Gangstah rap stuff. I also really dislike the whole "vibe" whats around it. Talking/rapping about how cool you are, how many cars youve got, that youve got much friends (all with big arms, and sixpacs), how much money youve got, your "soldiers" and how many Woman you can get (whores in my humble opinion). I dislike the Player type's, and my stumache turns around 3 times when i see a though looking gangstah rapper in a car which bounces through the street......gold around his neck even B.A Barrackus from the freaking A-Team would be jealous at.....it's all about how you look and how rich you are....and how many times youve got shot by the mothah f*cking police, or something like that.....

If i turn on any singel music channel on tv i get to see those rappers....every minut of the day they are there...to me this is a sign how many dumb people there are on the world. It makes me sick really. Its pathetic and uninteresting. The worst thing of it all is that it makes kids think thats its "NORMAL" what they see on tv....talking about woman like they are whores, talking about shooting niggahs and cops and that kind of stuff. Its not very bright now is it? Very unintelligent. Lots of kids start acting like a Gangstah Rapper.

I respect every ones taste in music and your own oppions, but i will never respect Rap music.

Heavy Metal stands for everything what Rap music is NOT. There is nothing the same in them to me. Thats also why i say that Metal bands who use rappers are not metal bands. Rap is not about singing or music, its about talking something you writed down about how cool you are or how pathetic your youth was or how difficult it is living on the street (all the same to me) and then put a Beat behind it (often stolen from some great musician or band) and some whores in your clip on the tv. Thats How i personally see it.

But i can see why lots of people like this shit.....nobody is the same. I will also respect Metal heads who like rap music....but i will never think they get the feeling i have with the Heavy Metal lifestyle....because in my humble opinion there cant be rap in Heavy Metal.

I respect that this is your oppinion, I really do, but there are a few things I would like to say to you.

First of all you talk about rap as if it isn't music, and all of it is the same. I don't blame you for hating what you see publisized by the mainstream media, and I won't deny, most of it is discusting, and quite frankly annoying. But lots of rap in the underground and even some in the mainstream is very respectable. There are rappers who rap about things like problems in an urban environment and trying to overcome that struggle to live a better life. Rap can also focus on Political subject matter, internal conflict, and I've even seen a satanic rapper, which is really odd. lol. S be sure to fully explore the genre of music before saying that it's all the same, because it isn't.

Also, you said that metal stands for everything that rap is not. How can that be, if a genre of music can cover unending amounts of subject matter in the lyrical content? Metal can just as easily sing about guns and shooting cops as rap can have lyrical content about fighting Dragons and slaying orcs, or anti-christian themes, (As seen with the satanic rapper XD) or danm near anything else metal covers. How does a Genre of music stand for any one thing? The answer is very simple, no genre of music stands for any one messege, it all varies with the artist and the individual song.

You also say that rap is unorigional and often uses other artists music. That's also not always the truth, and actually now-a-days not even close to the truth. Most rap artists use studio artists and real instruments to rap over in today's day and age. Many rappers also play with live bands. There is a Rap band called "The Roots" who actually play their own instruments and the front man (an amazing lyricist) raps.
Rap is a subgenre of hip hop, and rap is one of many genres in hip hop, and hip hop is just as much of a unique genre of music as any other genre.

And really, Metal is just as responsible for having unintelligent things ad stereotypes about it. I mean, Death Metal bands can Talk about Killing people mindlessly, Black Metal Mindlessly can talk about Burning Christians, Power metal can talk about slaying dragons and white knights in shining armor, but there are Artists in each of these genres that overcome their perspective stereotypes, and still make quality music. Rap is no different, case closed.

But hey, I understand this is all just your oppinion, it's just that I had seen some flaw in your logic and I'm trying to help you see things from my perspective, that's all.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

29.05.2007 - 18:37
BrightNight
For what i have seen and heard i do not feel the need to Look Further into the rap genre. It just cant catch my attention. The people who listen to it and the rap artist themselves are NOT my type of people to hang around with. I really do think that metalheads have a very different set of mind and other ways of thinking and living. These things come forth through the music. And so does rap have their own things.....ways i do not always understant and simply do not want to get into. Its not my way of looking to the world and to others.

I believe you when you say that its not all the same. Cause, most non metal heads dont hear the difference between death metal and power metal. So it will be with rap music the same way i guess.

And i will also agree with you that metal has some very unintelligent stereotypes, you find this with every music genre. For me those artist (claim to be artist) are not true to them selves, or if they are they are not Metal....or not Rap (in your case). So i do not spent time on it either way.

Music Taste is something people can argue over for ages. But its of not much use in the end. Everyone is different, so i respect everyone's oppinion and own taste and mindset of things. But dont ask me to respect Rap music ...i simpely cant and wont. In my eyes its useless. But im happy for rap music fans who can get their frustrations and emotions out of it. But then again, these are not the emotions and frustrations i have. For that its to different.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
02.06.2007 - 15:10
Piro
I detest the whole Rap genre. Rappers seem to think they are above the world and the law. Half of it is about the hood joints and gangs, the meaningful stuff usually gets thrown out of buisness.
Also, I simply do not like the beat and way Rap is sung, to me it is insulting. Still, like BrightNight said, everyone has their own musical tastes, so I guess there is nothing much to discuss here, some people like Rap, others do not like it. I'm the latter. As most people on metal music forums probably are.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
02.06.2007 - 15:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i can stand battle rap performed by Eminem, because he has nice performance and some lyrics to really think about...but nothing else from this genre seems good to me...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep