04. Harker's Tale (Mass Of Death)
05. Perseverance And Desperation
06. The Curse Has Passed Away
07. Benediction
08. Harsh Reality
09. Swirling Madness
10. Von Am Lebem Desto Strum
11. Aieliaria And Everonn

In 1988, Helstar's release of Distant Thunder saw the band break away from the pure thrash metal genre and expand in a more progressive direction. The blistering dual guitars were relentless, but now the picking became a little more intense and the soloing went into the stratosphere. Titles like The King is Dead and Abandon Ship were merely portents of things to come in 1989. Although A Distant Thunder was well produced, the band wouldn't peak until their next release.

Nosferatu saw the band completely come together as a tight cohesive progressive metal unit with a more or less central theme. While there were a mix of metal bands in '89 like Morbid Angel, Sepultura and Kreator all exploring heavier, more in-your-face riffs, only a handful were really daring to plunge headlong into the music and start playing with the time changes and adding progressive scales and picking techniques.

Nosferatu is a behemoth in the progressive metal scene. From the opening of Baptized in Blood it's clear this band isn't holding any punches. The dueling guitars enter in a frenzy of picking only to be backed up by the bass and drums following the same psychotic level of intensity. James Rivera presents us with a more controlled and mature effort letting us actually see his full vocal range. To Sleep, Per Chance to Scream is Helstar showing the metal scene what the definition of progressive metal is. The guitars, bass and drums are nothing less than exceptional leaving most other bands from the era in the dust. Incorporating speed with blistering technique and phenomenal picking became Helstar's hallmark throughout Nosferatu. Even the somewhat mellower ballad The Curse Has Passed Away retains all the musical prowess conveniently hidden behind a beautiful acoustic intro. The combination of complicated chords interlaced with Helstar's picking technique and half-second, 10 note scales is awe inspiring. Think you can play guitar? This album will either inspire you or make you quit all together as few but the truly gifted can even comprehend the level of musicianship going on here. Nosferatu is a gargantuan progressive metal effort which destroys any notion that a band can only be thrash or death metal without exploring other areas at the same time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by ponderer | 29.06.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 129 users
01.05.2009 - 02:18
I haven't heard anything by hellstar but seems very interesting... I'm gonna check it out
22.11.2009 - 06:06
Rating: 8
sbgmetal
This is an awesome cd definitely worth listening to
09.12.2010 - 13:48
Zoka
Just perfect!
03.07.2021 - 01:03
Redel
Wasnt this the guy (ponderer) who was permanently banned from the site after a discussion about the proper use of the definite article "the" in the English language in some thread?
He corrected people posting here about some "paradise" vs "the paradise" thing and subsequently insulted some severely.
Well, here in his own review it seems he himself used the definite article "the" improperly.

"While there were a mix of metal bands in '89 like Morbid Angel, Sepultura and Kreator (...) and start playing with the time changes and adding progressive scales and picking techniques."

I find this immensely funny.
06.07.2021 - 10:49
Zap
Written by Redel on 03.07.2021 at 01:03

Wasnt this the guy (ponderer) who was permanently banned from the site after a discussion about the proper use of the definite article "the" in the English language in some thread?
He corrected people posting here about some "paradise" vs "the paradise" thing and subsequently insulted some severely.
Well, here in his own review it seems he himself used the definite article "the" improperly.

"While there were a mix of metal bands in '89 like Morbid Angel, Sepultura and Kreator (...) and start playing with the time changes and adding progressive scales and picking techniques."

I find this immensely funny.

Yeah that's the one...
I think there is another error in that sentence but I could be wrong. Funny how he got so hung up on grammatical errors with others but this review is no different. Great English teacher he must have been.

The review itself isn't great. He mentions Helstar's "picking technique" five times without ever explaining what makes it stand out or what it adds to the music. Also, what the hell does "adding progressive scales" even mean?
The rest is similarly nonsensical with very little explanation as to why this album is any good.
06.07.2021 - 10:59
Redel
Written by Zap on 06.07.2021 at 10:49

Yeah that's the one...

Do we know if he ever returned to the site as some alias?
06.07.2021 - 11:04
Zap
Written by Redel on 06.07.2021 at 10:59

Not sure, I remember him being mentioned a lot when I first joined, people comparing every troll to ponderer, etc.
Some staffer that was around back then should know if he attempted to resurrect at any point.
06.07.2021 - 11:40
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Zap on 06.07.2021 at 11:04

Written by Redel on 06.07.2021 at 10:59

Not sure, I remember him being mentioned a lot when I first joined, people comparing every troll to ponderer, etc.
Some staffer that was around back then should know if he attempted to resurrect at any point.

I remember him creating a couple of other profiles after being banned. Problem was, dude was not bright enough to hide his true identity very well and he was so short-fused he got into fights like 20 minutes after his return, making him an easy target for us staffers He either gave up fast or became more competent at not being his true self. More likely the former.
06.07.2021 - 11:46
Redel
Written by Deadsoulman on 06.07.2021 at 11:40

Problem was, dude was not bright enough to hide his true identity very well and he was so short-fused he got into fights like 20 minutes after his return, making him an easy target for us staffers He either gave up fast or became more competent at not being his true self. More likely the former.

I guess that generally helps at identifying trolls: They are not good at hiding.
08.07.2021 - 11:13
Zap
Written by Deadsoulman on 06.07.2021 at 11:40

Problem was, dude was not bright enough to hide his true identity very well and he was so short-fused he got into fights like 20 minutes after his return

Hahaha, I love this.

It's still strange how people can get so wound up on the internet. I get it from a 12-year old, but this guy was old and seemed pretty knowledgeable about metal. His Mercyful Fate review wasn't half bad.

Hits total: 8825 | This month: 22