Metal Storm logo
Pink Floyd

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 12:13
One of the most influential rock bands that have ever existed, in my opinion!

Until their first album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, led by Syd Barrett.
From there on having David Gilmour on the guitar, together with Roger Waters composing the music for Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals.
Roger Waters composed The Wall and The Final Cut almost completely by himself. And after that he left the band.
Pink Floyd produced 2 more albums after The Final Cut.

They have performed recently on the Live8 festival, and they're touring again. Unfortunately, I'm not going to see them here in Holland. I don't know if Roger Waters is touring with them now or if it's just him and other band members.

I wonder what you all think of this band. What album you like best and what period you prefer (With Syd or with Roger Waters)?

But wether you like this band or not, they truly have had a damn lot of influence on the music of today.
14.11.2021 - 10:53
JoHn Doe
Written by Roman Doez on 14.11.2021 at 10:45

Written by JoHn Doe on 14.11.2021 at 10:24

Also AMLOR ahead of Animals? Dogs and Sheep are better than anything on AMLOR and I even dare say any songs they released after 1977, but that's just my opinion.

That's where the "controversial" part kicks in. Animals has some very high highs but also can get very boring at times, while AMLOR is an all around pretty consistently cool album although it doesn't nearly reach the highs of previous PF albums. But overall I still like AMLOR more.

that's all right. Make sure you listen to the live album Delicate Sound of thunder, the AMLOR song sound great live.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
18.11.2021 - 21:54
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
I have never even listened to AMLOR, I guess I thought The Final Cut was their last album for some reason. I'm gonna try it a few times and report back later.
----
My vision is augmented
18.11.2021 - 22:15
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Jope"Steele"Nada on 18.11.2021 at 21:54

I have never even listened to AMLOR, I guess I thought The Final Cut was their last album for some reason. I'm gonna try it a few times and report back later.

AMLOR is a decent album, and so is Division Bell. It showed that Roger Waters was not at all missed, he lost it with The Final Cut.

I always preferred David Gilmour as a musician to Roger Waters though. Roger Waters had some good moments with Pink Floyd, especially in his early days, and he was a good songwriter, but Gilmour for me was the real deal, and his live performance on The Pulse, is still the best display I have ever seen, from any musician.
18.11.2021 - 22:57
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
Quote:
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 18.11.2021 at 22:15

Written by Jope"Steele"Nada on 18.11.2021 at 21:54

AMLOR is a decent album, and so is Division Bell. It showed that Roger Waters was not at all missed, he lost it with The Final Cut.

I always preferred David Gilmour as a musician to Roger Waters though. Roger Waters had some good moments with Pink Floyd, especially in his early days, but Gilmour for me was the real deal, and his performance on The Pulse live album, is still the best display I have ever seen from any musician.

I like them both as songwriters, they were in the same band and they can write so different sounding songs, that maybe also caused some beef between them. I agree about the Final Cut, it had some misses and Water's songs weren't all very good on the Wall either. The band couldn't be a one man's effort.
----
My vision is augmented
19.11.2021 - 08:23
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Jope"Steele"Nada on 18.11.2021 at 22:57

I like them both as songwriters, they were in the same band and they can write so different sounding songs, that maybe also caused some beef between them. I agree about the Final Cut, it had some misses and Water's songs weren't all very good on the Wall either. The band couldn't be a one man's effort.

They are great songwriters indeed, but let's not forget about their co-founder Syd Barrett, his lyrics on Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, are just legendary! I laugh everytime I hear "Bike", and Interstellar Overdrive which has to be one of the most trippy and fun songs to listen to of all time, you just can't imagine music made in such a way now.
21.11.2021 - 22:19
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
A Momentary Lapse of Reason :
I tried it a couple of times and I think the album didn't sound good so far. The production is too AOR/pop for PF, and the 80s drum sound is dogshit as per usual. None of the songs appear especially good, which is surprising, because rarely I find no song to stand out at least in some way as a some kind of favorite. I'd prefer the Final Cut to this. 5/10 for me.
----
My vision is augmented
22.11.2021 - 08:19
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Jope"Steele"Nada on 21.11.2021 at 22:19

A Momentary Lapse of Reason :
I tried it a couple of times and I think the album didn't sound good so far. The production is too AOR/pop for PF, and the 80s drum sound is dogshit as per usual. None of the songs appear especially good, which is surprising, because rarely I find no song to stand out at least in some way as a some kind of favorite. I'd prefer the Final Cut to this. 5/10 for me.

Looking back at AMLOR now, I think your right in saying it wasn't that good of an album, I used to appreciate it more than I do now, I find it's a very clean and safe album, a bit to mainstream sounding for PF really, aside from "Learning To Fly" no songs really stood out for me, I think Division Bell was a massive improvement, I prefered Gilmour songwriting on that one.
25.11.2021 - 22:49
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 19.11.2021 at 08:23

Written by Jope"Steele"Nada on 18.11.2021 at 22:57

They are great songwriters indeed, but let's not forget about their co-founder Syd Barrett, his lyrics on Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, are just legendary! I laugh everytime I hear "Bike", and Interstellar Overdrive which has to be one of the most trippy and fun songs to listen to of all time, you just can't imagine music made in such a way now.

Syd Barrett was definitely a master artist no matter what happened to him with LSD. I would've never ended up listening to Pink Floyd if I hadn't heard about Syd on the "Lord of the flies" episode of X-Files. I don't consider Piper At The Gates Of Dawn as one of their of their masterpieces, but Syd had a huge impact on many people and when reading online, he has lots of fans to this day. It was good to see the band doing tributes to him on the later albums.
----
My vision is augmented
04.12.2021 - 19:40
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (Roger Waters solo album; I know this isn't PF but it's related, so...) :
I have been listening to this album a lot lately and it always surprises me how good it is; to me this is markedly better than The Final Cut is -- while it's somewhat similar to it. And I think it is a pretty unique album. From the songs it's hard to say which are better and which are worse, a whole lot of them are great, and I like the repetition between some of the songs; it adds to the concept factor and kind of ties the album together.

When it comes to rating it, it can be a little bit tricky; as whole it works better, the individual songs aren't all totally masterpieces. I'd say in one listen it's 10/10 and as individual songs it's 8/10. But I'd still say it's 10/10 album, and as good as the best Pink Floyds (Dark Side... and Wish You...). Roger Waters proved here that he can be a genius songwriter and Eric Clapton added some amazing guitar-work!

P.S. And yes I like the cover image, hehe.
----
My vision is augmented
04.01.2022 - 23:31
MicMet
Several years ago, when I was still in school, my father was working on the car outside one evening. He had the car CD player on and it was playing such beautiful slow music, endless songs that blended into each other. The music totally captured me. It was a totally pleasant mood that it awakened. I asked him what he was listening to. It was Pink Floyd's Wish you were here. Even though I don't listen to this album that often, usually preferring faster music like metal, I am sometimes in the mood for it and then really love it. It belongs to my all time favorites. A top album for me. I haven't heard several Pink Floyd albums yet, but this thread reminds me that I should listen to other stuff from them again. I also know the Wall, of which I was slightly disappointed. Not that it's a bad album, but I kind of expected something different, especially since it's so highly praised. After listening to it several times, I thought it was good, but not quite as much as Wish you...I also heard an old record (vinyl!) from my father, kind of a best of, I guess. Perhaps I should listen to the albums which were published before and after wish you were here.
04.05.2022 - 12:13
Jack_Torrance
So why exactly is Pink Floyd not added to MS when even f*king Rush is on here?
04.05.2022 - 13:21
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Jack_Torrance on 04.05.2022 at 12:13

So why exactly is Pink Floyd not added to MS when even f*king Rush is on here?

The subject of adding Pink Floyd to the MS database seems to have been an on going matter of debate since I first joined, I think if all the users were to have a vote on whether to add them or not, it would literally come down to the wire, maybe a borderline decision would have to be made by the staff. I for one though wouldn't mind see them on here, especially with King Crimson already bring here, who's influence (imho) plays an equal part, but then there are others that would always argue that Pink Floyd haven't had enough influence on metal.

And I don't mean to sound controversial or anything, but if The Doors are on listed on the database (which i'm really glad to see by the way), then maybe Pink Floyd could be?
06.05.2022 - 14:48
gavdann
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 04.05.2022 at 13:21

And I don't mean to sound controversial or anything, but if The Doors are on listed on the database (which i'm really glad to see by the way), then maybe Pink Floyd could be?

I can see the argument for having Rush but not Pink Floyd personally. Most Pink Floyd barely breaks out of a walking pace.

I'm sure there are some metal musicians who were influenced by them, I just don't see how they influenced metal itself. Even for genres like progressive-metal I don't see any parallels.

I don't get why The Doors would be included either though to be honest. Even at their most rockin' on tracks like 'Break on Through' or 'Roundhouse Blues' I don't see how they influenced metal.
06.05.2022 - 16:00
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by gavdann on 06.05.2022 at 14:48

I can see the argument for having Rush but not Pink Floyd personally. Most Pink Floyd barely breaks out of a walking pace.

I'm sure there are some metal musicians who were influenced by them, I just don't see how they influenced metal itself. Even for genres like progressive-metal I don't see any parallels.

I don't get why The Doors would be included either though to be honest. Even at their most rockin' on tracks like 'Break on Through' or 'Roundhouse Blues' I don't see how they influenced metal.

I would say going way back, Jimi Hendrix was one of the first main influences on metal, with songs like "Purple Haze", which must of sounded really heavy back in it's day. He was probably most important for the development of hard rock, which was then followed by Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple.

But like you said I don't think The Doors, or Pink Floyd had much influence on metal as such, I personally think that Cream could of had just as much influence on metal than those, with being a psychedelic rock band, but then The Who is also on the database, which I suppose had an influence on punk in a way.
06.05.2022 - 17:01
gavdann
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 06.05.2022 at 16:00

but then The Who is also on the database, which I suppose had an influence on punk in a way.

The Who were very popular with the mod/northern soul crowd, I'm not sure they were with the punks. By '76/'77 The Who were boring old dad-rock, whereas the Punks (in the UK at least) were mainly influenced by Bowie.

I get your points about Hendrix and Cream though. There's an argument for them being proto-metal.
15.05.2022 - 20:59
Jack_Torrance
You could even argue that the Beatles influenced Metal with Helter Skelter
17.05.2022 - 13:48
gavdann
Written by Jack_Torrance on 15.05.2022 at 20:59

As written in the gospel according to Paul McCartney, The Beatles invented everything.
17.05.2022 - 17:02
Jack_Torrance
It's kinda true though
17.05.2022 - 21:04
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by gavdann on 17.05.2022 at 13:48

As written in the gospel according to Paul McCartney, The Beatles invented everything.

I'm sure Elvis Pressley would of had something to say about that, some would even say he invented rock music
17.05.2022 - 23:10
gavdann
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 17.05.2022 at 21:04

Written by gavdann on 17.05.2022 at 13:48

I'm sure Elvis Pressley would of had something to say about that, some would even say he invented rock music

And some would say Elvis appropriated his style from the black rock n rollers of the early 50's who came before him.

It's difficult to say for sure who invented what as nearly everything is just a continuation of what came before. Especially in pop music.
21.06.2022 - 12:12
heavyriffs
Account deleted
One of my fav bands of all time
02.07.2022 - 19:40
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
Finally managed to listen to The Division Bell. Have to say that I am surprised at how good an album they could make this time. Most of the songs are rather good and as an over 1 hour album there is very few weaker moments. I wasn't too impressed with Momentary Lapse Of Reason, so this album sounds like a great return to form. I would rate it 8,5/10 for now.
----
My vision is augmented
04.07.2022 - 09:38
IronAngel
I think I have to accept that I'm never going to really get Pink Floyd. I've listened to them quite a lot, I guess out of some conviction that they're a great band and there's something to appreciate there. Partly because my late-teens/early-20s favorites (Anathema, Porcupine Tree etc.) were influenced by them. And I did like them, sort of still do.

But meh, I don't know why they're so well-loved over the other prog giants. Compared to their contemporaries, they sound cold, spiritless, and dreary. I'd take organic lushness of Thick as a Brick, the mad ambition of In the Court of the Crimson King, possibly even the cheesy bravado of Close to the Edge and the homely catchiness of Selling England by the Pound, over Pink Floyd any day.

That said, my favorite album of theirs is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, along with Barrett's The Madcap Laughs. It's not that ambitious or unique, but it has genuine warmth and joy, as opposed to the serious sterility of what followed.
19.07.2022 - 16:53
Best Metalhead
Written by IronAngel on 04.07.2022 at 09:38

I think I have to accept that I'm never going to really get Pink Floyd. I've listened to them quite a lot, I guess out of some conviction that they're a great band and there's something to appreciate there. Partly because my late-teens/early-20s favorites (Anathema, Porcupine Tree etc.) were influenced by them. And I did like them, sort of still do.

But meh, I don't know why they're so well-loved over the other prog giants. Compared to their contemporaries, they sound cold, spiritless, and dreary. I'd take organic lushness of Thick as a Brick, the mad ambition of In the Court of the Crimson King, possibly even the cheesy bravado of Close to the Edge and the homely catchiness of Selling England by the Pound, over Pink Floyd any day.

That said, my favorite album of theirs is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, along with Barrett's The Madcap Laughs. It's not that ambitious or unique, but it has genuine warmth and joy, as opposed to the serious sterility of what followed.

I can get into PinkFLoyd, but I cant go to Opeth, I dont understand why Opeth they are so popular and famous but I dont feel liking their music.
28.11.2023 - 15:26
Best Metalhead
Written by [user id=329624] on 25.11.2023 at 18:44

I think that the fact that they sound "cold, spiritless, and dreary" is the exact reason why they were so successful. Very lush and easy to listen in the background - static, without eclectic compositions and arrangements that could potentially turn off someone completely new to the genre. They are basically baby's first sophisticated rock band.

Written by Best Metalhead on 19.07.2022 at 16:53

I can get into PinkFLoyd, but I cant go to Opeth, I dont understand why Opeth they are so popular and famous but I dont feel liking their music.

What's the relevance between them?

Both have progressive metal element.
28.11.2023 - 16:22
JoHn Doe
Written by Best Metalhead on 28.11.2023 at 15:26

I think that the fact that they sound "cold, spiritless, and dreary" is the exact reason why they were so successful. Very lush and easy to listen in the background - static, without eclectic compositions and arrangements that could potentially turn off someone completely new to the genre. They are basically baby's first sophisticated rock band.

Are you sure about that?
I think David Gilmour and Richard Wright especially were an influence on rock and metal musicians, but other than that, there is no progressive metal element in Pink Floyd.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
28.11.2023 - 16:28
Best Metalhead
Written by JoHn Doe on 28.11.2023 at 16:22

Written by Best Metalhead on 28.11.2023 at 15:26

Are you sure about that?
I think David Gilmour and Richard Wright especially were an influence on rock and metal musicians, but other than that, there is no progressive metal element in Pink Floyd.

I'm not sure too, but as far as I remember Pink Floyd is psyedelic n progressive inspired and influencing... I've been around the age of metal rock for20 years that's all I remember they said.
28.11.2023 - 16:37
JoHn Doe
Written by Best Metalhead on 28.11.2023 at 16:28

Are you sure about that?

I'm not sure too, but as far as I remember Pink Floyd is psyedelic n progressive inspired and influencing... I've been around the age of metal rock for 20 years that's all I remember they said.

What do you mean "I'm not sure too"?
They as in Pink Floyd? I'm sure they don't care how they are being classified.
----
28.11.2023 - 16:40
Best Metalhead
Written by JoHn Doe on 28.11.2023 at 16:37

Written by Best Metalhead on 28.11.2023 at 16:28

Are you sure about that?

I'm not sure too, but as far as I remember Pink Floyd is psyedelic n progressive inspired and influencing... I've been around the age of metal rock for 20 years that's all I remember they said.

What do you mean "I'm not sure too"?
They as in Pink Floyd? I'm sure they don't care how they are being classified.

Hahaha yea becuz it's so long time ago, i can't be sure I remember right, you know more than 20 years with metal, hundreds bands n the scenes, you know... lot of metal information, so I can't be sure lol haha..
28.11.2023 - 16:41
Best Metalhead
They said, I mean all metal heads, metal ppl, in the scene of metal culture group..