Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Riot 'Em All In Colombia

Violence and chaos broke out around Bogota's Simon Bolivar park last Wednesday night, when hundreds of frenzied fans tried to crash Metallica's first Colombian concert in eleven years.

Bogota's Regulatory Center of Emergency Services reported that four policemen and four civilians were hospitalized throughout the evening for cuts, lesions to the head and one fractured leg. One youth was stabbed with knife in the hand.

160 people were arrested and property was vandalized and destroyed, as ticketless fans tried to storm the venue in order to catch a glimpse of their "rock-god idols". Radio Santa Fe reported that prior to the concert, there were posts on social networking site Facebook inciting fans to crash the Metallica concert. Estimates of audience numbers by Colombian media sources oscillate wildly between 20,000 and 70,000.

Authorities implemented security measures as heavy as the band's music, with some 1,500 police employed to stand guard during the event, as well as four tanks and several police trucks. There were no reports in the Colombian media that the tanks had been deployed.

The Metallica riots are reminiscent of those that rocked Bogota during a concert by British heavy metal group Iron Maiden in March 2009.

Metallica last played in Colombia on May 2, 1999. To view their 2010 and 1999 playlists, click here.

Source: colombiareports.com
Band profile: Metallica
Event: Metallica: Latin American Tour
Posted: 12.03.2010 by Shadowcross

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 34   Visited by: 332 users
12.03.2010 - 21:15
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
DAAAAAAAMN. Colombian cops don't fuck around. i want that huge water cannon truck/tank thing, though.

and ZOMG HOT PURSUIT ON A HORSE!!!1
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
12.03.2010 - 21:18
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I hope that +{Jho'nass}+ is ok - he had a ticket for this gig.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
12.03.2010 - 22:08
xVovax
Old news
12.03.2010 - 22:41
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
I would riot also after the shit music they put out!!!!
----
Chef Metal Head
12.03.2010 - 22:53
WorpeX
Made of Metal
What the hell is the point of this? Why didnt they just buy a ticket if they wanted to see them so bad...?
12.03.2010 - 22:55
JÄY
Metal slave
I love it when young people are referred to as "youths"...

ah! youths!
12.03.2010 - 23:02
Zeh
The only thing they can win is getting out of big bands tour. Shame on them.
----
Zeh
12.03.2010 - 23:11
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Damn...terrible news...mmm i also hope jonas is ok
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
12.03.2010 - 23:27
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Hey Colombia, maybe this is why bands don't play in your country.
12.03.2010 - 23:47
csiga
Munin
Written by Marcus on 12.03.2010 at 23:27

Some idiots not = Colombia.
----

i survived the lake bodom!
12.03.2010 - 23:50
Written by csiga on 12.03.2010 at 23:47

I agree.. these are just some a few fucking idiots that always have to make the news and give bad rep to the entire country...
----
...SHADOWEDFIRE...
13.03.2010 - 00:20
Symmachus
Oy, what lousy fans of Metallica. When I first read the title of this news bulletin, I wondered whether this was a DVD release or whether it was something else. To my non-surprise, it was the latter. People being desparate enough to crash the concert without permission and cause riots like this is very stupid on the behalf of the fans. What a way to spoil the night of the good-intented fans. What is even worse is that Colombia has a history of such unhealthy, raucous. I hate it when majorities or large groups of people are stupid or misguided. Also, I will give a tip of the hat to the Colombian police for the action that they took against the imbecile fans.

And last but not least, I hope Jonas is okay. I didn't know that he was a Colombian or lived near Colombia.
13.03.2010 - 00:39
x_therion_x
It's really sad, this people want to enter to the concert for free with violent methods Metalñeros are called here.
13.03.2010 - 00:42
xplanet2112
It's a shame something like this happened... bad news indeed.
----
www.myspace.co.uk/interminate
13.03.2010 - 00:44
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by ShadowedFire88 on 12.03.2010 at 23:50

Written by csiga on 12.03.2010 at 23:47

I agree.. these are just some a few fucking idiots that always have to make the news and give bad rep to the entire country...

Oops, sorry I didn't mean that it was the whole country's fault, but it usually isn't a good idea to riot every time a big band comes to your country.
13.03.2010 - 01:36
vikingman369
Written by CHEF METALHEAD on 12.03.2010 at 22:41

Bah at Metallica like a good little pop-metal sheep, show them that you care!

As for the riots, hell yeah! Same thing happened in Russia back in the 90s. So what?
----
"God it feels
Like it only rains on me" -- My World
13.03.2010 - 03:15
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Yeah, this was in all news today...
----
13.03.2010 - 05:21
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I gotta say something: 200 stupid guys trying to do the same stupi thing for every single show from an important band. Now the point is that more than 50.000 well-behaved people were attending the show with no problems.

I feel sad because of those riot news, but please: Why don't you also talk about the surprise Metallica had when receiving a huge colombian flag (I mean: really, really huge - like more than 20 meters long) and the excellent attitude of the colombian audience?
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
13.03.2010 - 08:48
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by CHEF METALHEAD on 12.03.2010 at 22:41

Agreed, I don't actually like Metallica save the first few albums, I just posted this because I love anarchy.

Written by Symmachus on 13.03.2010 at 00:20

Oy, what lousy fans of Metallica. When I first read the title of this news bulletin, I wondered whether this was a DVD release or whether it was something else. To my non-surprise, it was the latter.

When I originally posted this news I had a title like 'Hundreds of fans go on violent rampage' which I think was more accurate.. but meh what can you do! The news title definitely sounds like a DVD release.
13.03.2010 - 09:31
..ExoTeaR..
Meh! good or bad its fucking awsome woulda been crazy to see for real << its a shame that people were unfortunatly hospitalised tho.
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
13.03.2010 - 10:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Wasnt it also Colombia where were riots due to Iron Maiden gig in 2008?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.03.2010 - 11:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hope Tulkas and Jonas is OK
Well what van be next ban of metal there like rammstein banned in bellorussia
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.03.2010 - 11:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 13.03.2010 at 10:44

Read a news carifully
http://colombiareports.com/colombia-news/news/3144-riots-at-iron-maiden-concert-in-bogota.html
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.03.2010 - 11:17
benvolent
Eh, stupid?
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
13.03.2010 - 12:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Bad English on 13.03.2010 at 11:10

Written by Ellrohir on 13.03.2010 at 10:44

Read a news carifully
http://colombiareports.com/colombia-news/news/3144-riots-at-iron-maiden-concert-in-bogota.html

so it was only it was 2009, not 2008
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.03.2010 - 18:01
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Hanna: I can only hope that, too.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
13.03.2010 - 19:43
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Heyy i was there!!!(concert not riots) and to be honest i didnt see the riots until the next day on the news... mmm is just some misfits trying to draw attention but it was a good concert!!
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
13.03.2010 - 20:05
Jiri
That's what happens when they play old songs like "Creeping Death".
13.03.2010 - 22:15
tulkas
el parcero
The riots just occurred outside the place where the concert was taking place, but inside it was all good, so don't worry about Jonas or anything. I wasn't able to go, such a shame, but they told me that it was amazing. It's a shame that because of a few uncivilized assholes all these things take place. And you want to hear the saddest bit of it all? Like a week or so before the concert, these assholes opened a group on facebook for all of those "who were going to try to get into the concert without having the ticket"
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
13.03.2010 - 22:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Like someone had already said. If these morons wanted to see the concert they should have bought a fucking ticket. what a bunch of freeloading no-good-for-anything parasites.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 5117 | This month: 6