09. Regain The Fire
10. One For Sorrow
11. Weather The Storm [Special Edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
12. Beyond The Horizon [Japanese bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2011: 8

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
If I were to ask you what makes a great Metal band, the answer should be pretty much the same across the board: great albums. In truth, a series of great albums that follow the same structure yet manage to be different enough to be individual works while being similar enough to create a unique trademark sound. Do you see now how fine of a margin bands have to operate? Finland's Insomnium have established themselves as a juggernaut of Gothenburg Metal with a trilogy of sublime releases 2002's In The Halls Of Awaiting, 2004's Since The Day It All Came Down & 2006's Above The Weeping World. Then they managed to cleverly modernize their sound with 2009's Across The Dark. With a growing fan base and so many solid works behind them, their new release One For Sorrow has been one of the most anticipated albums of the year, and for good reasons.

Read more ››
published 01.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Risto
Rating:
One For Sorrow: the old children's nursery rhyme about counting up to ten birds in a tree. Makes sense for an Insomnium album to be inspired by it; after all, they've had these birds flying around in their album art for a while. Their fifth full-length respectively adapts to the rhyme with ten tracks of fairly varied Gothenburg metal in that trademark Insomnium sound.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2011 | Comments (4)

Found in 87 lists
Top lists

Comments page 8 / 8

Comments: 223   Visited by: 2150 users
28.08.2013 - 13:45
Rating: 5
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Gave this a good run but just couldn't get into it. I think they are good musicians but none of the songs are memorable or evoke any emotion in me. Just bland and uninspired. Just not my cup of tea, I suppose. The high rating from others indicates it's popular and well-liked, so I guess I'm in the minority.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.08.2013 - 14:44
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Ace Frawley on 28.08.2013 at 13:45

none of the songs are memorable

My problem too...I can't tell any songs from any of their albums apart, aside from the production value
29.08.2013 - 00:07
Rating: 5
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Pretty album cover though, don't you think?
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
31.08.2013 - 06:12
Mattybu

Written by Ace Frawley on 28.08.2013 at 13:45

Gave this a good run but just couldn't get into it. I think they are good musicians but none of the songs are memorable or evoke any emotion in me. Just bland and uninspired. Just not my cup of tea, I suppose. The high rating from others indicates it's popular and well-liked, so I guess I'm in the minority.

I'll add myself to that minority, even as a fan of melodic death metal. I agree with everything you said.

As for the cover art, it's okay. Better than the music at least.
17.10.2013 - 11:28
Rating: 9
NorthernDickhead

Maybe best Insomnium album by so far....hope we get more albums like this!
21.11.2013 - 04:56
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by NorthernDickhead on 17.10.2013 at 11:28

Best Insomnium album by so far....hope we get more albums like this!

This is great, but I do miss their more "epic" songs from AtWW:(
07.10.2014 - 20:34
Rating: 6
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Milena on 27.12.2011 at 08:33

Maybe after this Insomnium will deteriorate and people will refer to One For Sorrow as the last good album of theirs.

Above the Weeping World is their last really great abum imo
----
pewpew.. gotcha
20.08.2016 - 09:29
Rating: 8
s_t_s

Listened to this album again the other day and was almost shocked to realize how poor the whole mixing sounds like ! Compared to "Shadows of a Dying Sun" this album sounds like chaos. You can hardly make voices froms guitars or drums. I need to listen again to older albums of the band to see how they sound now but I am afraid that same impression will hit me hard in the face :/
20.08.2016 - 10:25
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by s_t_s on 20.08.2016 at 09:29

Listened to this album again the other day and was almost shocked to realize how poor the whole mixing sounds like ! Compared to "Shadows of a Dying Sun" this album sounds like chaos. You can hardly make voices froms guitars or drums. I need to listen again to older albums of the band to see how they sound now but I am afraid that same impression will hit me hard in the face :/

This album probably has the worst production considering the music behind it. Above the Weeping World is relatively raw for example but is better suited there.
20.11.2019 - 18:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Strong album, but somehow I think nothing can be best as their latest one, more clean singing into it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.02.2020 - 23:33
Redel

Written by Bad English on 20.11.2019 at 18:46

Strong album, but somehow I think nothing can be best as their latest one, more clean singing into it

Been revisiting this one. Better than I had in mind, upvoted to a 7.5.
Nothing reaches Above the Weeping World for me. But this might be my 2nd favourite album of them, with a huge gap to the former.
I definitely prefer it to everything they released thereafter, where I might be in the minority, too.
Through The Shadows and Unsung stand out.
29.03.2022 - 14:16
nonZero

Probably the most beautiful intro to any Insomnium album. Some great songs on this one. Their 4th best IMO.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
25.09.2022 - 13:30
Rating: 7
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Another pretty solid release, but if I'm tbvh I prefer the previous release overall to this one. Eventhough this is a very strong release, it somehow didn't exite me in the same way the previous few albums did unfortunately

Once again there's some quality songwriting, and it's beautifully constructed with some very impressive melancholic melodies throughout, and there's some really good songs on here, although some songs are better than others. The main downfall for me is the production, it's more refined but sounds a wee soft imo, it misses that slightly stripped back heavier sound. I would say though that this is probably their best cover art

"Song Of The Blackest Bird", "Lay The Ghost To Rest", "Through The Shadows" and "Unsung" are the main highlights for me with the rest ranging from average to fairly good.

Hits total: 56912 | This month: 48