Metal Storm logo
Týr

Original post

Posted by Ernis, 18.10.2006 - 21:49
I made a search that showed that no topic is here for them....now there is...

I shall now try to put it in a nutshell...Tyr is fine...the voices are good and the overall impression it has left me is wonderful....Especially good is to hear the songs in the authors' native language....I am not an expert of germanic languages so I cannot tell whether it is norwegian, danish or faroese but if anyone here is aware of it then just do not forget to mention it.......

The melodies are great.....the musical emotion is simple and just flows into the hearts of those who are listening...

now your opinions....if you doubt then I just mention that is you respect the culture of vikings and prefer northern way of life and attitude...then it shall be probably satisfying for you.....
09.02.2007 - 15:07
Eight
Shapeshifter
I've seen a girl in town yesterday, she was bout 10 years old and he had a bag like Týr backpack
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
10.02.2007 - 01:26
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Jester Eddie: that sounds pretty wierd...but again better listen to Týr at that age than Britney Spears
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.02.2007 - 14:51
Ernis
狼獾
I'm afraid Britney is history....

But yeah......Tyr is wondrous....If they came to HRL this year I'd go in a heartbeat.....
11.02.2007 - 12:12
Eight
Shapeshifter
Written by GT on 10.02.2007 at 01:26

@Jester Eddie: that sounds pretty wierd...but again better listen to Týr at that age than Britney Spears

Thats pretty much not wierd comparing to if you see a 20 year old babe with a Britney backpack - now thats wierd
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
11.02.2007 - 14:05
APOHAKC
The Bard
Tyr is awesome but I only have one album, Ragnarok, and I have some other songs I get on some compilations, it is really good band to me and I am sorry I didn't manage to hear more, really like their sound, sound of guitars are good and vocal is very joyful.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.02.2007 - 15:24
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Ragnarok was a very pleasant surprise last year, I immediately fell in love with Tyr simply due to the fact that they play folk metal with a bit of a progressive edge, giving the music such depth and lastability. my favorite songs are "The Hunt", "Ride to Hell" and "The Brothers Bane"

Fabulous music..
11.02.2007 - 18:16
baldur
Written by Warman on 03.02.2007 at 16:17

28 hours left till their show here in Stockholm! I'm gonna scream my lungs out during Hail to the Hammer which I still hate but have listened to so many times with my friends (we're bored often apparently) so we know most of the lyrics.

i cant stand them either!!! they re just totally lame!!

when i saw them at concert i just looked every 5 min on my watch hoping wintersun and amon amarth will start soon!!
12.02.2007 - 21:26
Pinusar
Account deleted
I consider them a good band, and I really like their music. It is powerful. My favourite song has to be Regin Smidour. I hope to see them live sometime.
03.03.2007 - 17:06
Ernis
狼獾
Ragnarok is basically a further development of "Eric the Red"....a very fine one by the way. It's baroque.....very baroque.....they have used very similar melodies to those we already know and love from "Eric the Red"....and they have woven these melodies into fugues....fine thick and powerful forms of music....it really reminded me Bach's music....and they have used more variations of using melodies....from fine difficult parts to simple folk influenced songs.....
"Ragnarok" has indeed proven that Tyr is without any doubt the absolute classic in one's genre.....
04.03.2007 - 02:31
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I heard Tyr for the first time this year with Ragnarok. At first I didn't really like it (the sometimes dissonant vocal harmonies were off-putting) but it quickly grew on my and I discovered the genius and originality of their take on folk metal.

I recently heard their Eric the Red album (after hearing lots of people say it was great) and was a little disappointed. It seemed like mostly basic metal drinking songs and got a little boring. There were a few good songs but the album as a whole lacked the pure magic of Ragnarok. Of course, I only listened the once so will try to reserve my opinion.

This band definitely has talent and fun so I'm already waiting for their next album (and rocking out to Ragnarok in the meantime)
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.03.2007 - 10:45
ylside
Staff
Written by Susan on 04.03.2007 at 02:31

I heard Tyr for the first time this year with Ragnarok. At first I didn't really like it (the sometimes dissonant vocal harmonies were off-putting) but it quickly grew on my and I discovered the genius and originality of their take on folk metal.

I recently heard their Eric the Red album (after hearing lots of people say it was great) and was a little disappointed. It seemed like mostly basic metal drinking songs and got a little boring. There were a few good songs but the album as a whole lacked the pure magic of Ragnarok. Of course, I only listened the once so will try to reserve my opinion.

This band definitely has talent and fun so I'm already waiting for their next album (and rocking out to Ragnarok in the meantime)

Don't omit their debut album !! In my opinion their best. You heard it (How Far To Asgard) ?
04.03.2007 - 11:19
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
@Ylside,

No I haven't heard it but I mean to! Yes, I definitely enjoy listening to the older recordings of bands that I'm getting into You say it's your favourite? Now I'm really excited to hear it
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.03.2007 - 17:42
ylside
Staff
Yes, my fav ! And tell me your opinion when you give it a spin.
26.03.2007 - 13:52
razorblade_666
Account deleted
I saw them 24.03 at METALMANIA FEST in Katowice [PL]
they were very, very good

during the Testament concert I drank with Terji and guys from Korpiklaani vodka with juice
hehe Terji is soooooo cute
and he sings amazing when he's drunk
27.03.2007 - 21:30
Ernis
狼獾
I heard that they are coming to Estonia...well...they will perform on a lovely Tolkien fan club happening....So sad...I amn't going to see them there....though I love this music very much....but at least all little Tolkien fans may jump and sing "We are beautiful! We are the true viking warriors...Period"
30.03.2007 - 08:18
razorblade_666
Account deleted
don't worry; maybe this can batter your humour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIyBrwugmCk

Terji & Cane and Jonne from Korpiklaani at 'afterparty' at Metalmania Fest
my humour always get better after see this
01.04.2007 - 08:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
So I was at the CD store yesterday, and I saw the Tyr album Ragnarok sitting on the shelf, now i was unsure whether or not to get it, the sound of Epic Progressive Folk metal really apeals to me, but ive been having really bad luck as to buying cds off a whim lately. So could someone describe there sound a little more deeply to me, like maybe in relativity to other bands....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.04.2007 - 09:41
AnneVZ
heya guys.
Does enybody know's if Tyr Have an Album called "Hipokrisia?"
25.05.2007 - 09:51
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Finally Týr is coming to Denmark...and with Lumsk as support!! It's going to be a great day. Final exam in the morning and the these two bands at night...Wuhu!!
----

29.05.2007 - 16:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
Is there any difference between the Eric the Red released 2003 and the Eric the Red released 2006, except for the album covers and two bonus songs?
----
31.05.2007 - 10:29
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Warman: no I don't think so...but I haven't really checked
----

15.06.2007 - 10:45
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Eric the Red was simply one of the best albums I've ever heard. I was in bliss while listening to the whole album. It's catchy, the music is nice, I really don't see what not to like about that cd, as far Ragnorak is concerned, I havent heard it, so no comments on that one. From listening to Eric the Red though, these guys should be huge.
15.06.2007 - 21:25
MissRagnarok
Written by [user id=3177] on 26.03.2007 at 13:52
during the Testament concert I drank with Terji and guys from Korpiklaani vodka with juice
hehe Terji is soooooo cute
and he sings amazing when he's drunk

Yay for fangirl stories Sightly jealous, there =P Korpiklaani guys must've been awesome..
Terji IS cute really, nice guy..
So is Heri, though =) Remember talking about Wacken with him back in November.. Really looking forward to see them at Wacken!

They're a great band, but I think they're rather difficult to listen to live.. Especially if you don't know the songs.
You really have to be in the mood.. Luckily though, I mostly am =)
----
For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences's; I would be both!
- Ziltoid
16.06.2007 - 06:43
Bard
Account deleted
Tyr is an awsome band, awsome singing and sound. and as a reply to the poster, im not sure if anyone has answered, but i think their native language is call Farose or something, from the Faroe islands jsut off iceland? or was it greenland but anyways thats just what ive been told so i am not 100% sure on that. but lucky for you guys being able to see them in wacken this year, i wanted to go to it so badly, awsome bands this year. though i tihnk i am going sometime in the next two years which should stil be wicked, hopefully they are playing there when i go!
16.06.2007 - 09:43
MissRagnarok
I guess the language they sometimes sing in is called 'Faroese' or 'Faeroese'.. They're from the Faroe/Faeroe Islands, yes..

BTW, shouldn't some genre be added to the topic? I suggest 'Viking' =)
Besides, the band is called Týr, with the accent that is, but I guess most of you knew that [/bitch]
----
For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences's; I would be both!
- Ziltoid
16.06.2007 - 14:03
Ernis
狼獾
Faeroe Islands are situated somewhere in the sea near the coast of Norway....the islands belong to Denmark...the language spoken there is Faeroese and it's more or less closely related to Old Norse language.....it isn't that close to Danish.....
16.06.2007 - 14:57
Storchillarn
Týr is really great. I love that they sing stuff in Faeroese even though I don't understand a single word in that language. Ragnarok was great but I think they're a bit too complex at times.
16.06.2007 - 16:54
Ernis
狼獾
For me it's grand that they sing some verses in English and then switch back to Faeroese again.....it's grand for the Faeroese language has a very viking sound that fits perfectly with the music and creates just the atmosphere needed....it's excellent....and English doesn't bother me here because actually it has a bit similar sound...both are Germanic languages...besides...I love their lyrics...so I can understand everything....
29.06.2007 - 01:47
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by AnneVZ on 02.04.2007 at 09:41

heya guys.

You could always...you know, check the band discography page

Anyways, I just bought Ragnarok today and I like it quite a bit, I could see myself getting into these guys deeper, but there kind of like Tool for me; I cant listen to them for long periods or else I just get slightly bored.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.07.2007 - 10:18
AnneVZ
Written by Doc G. on 29.06.2007 at 01:47

Written by AnneVZ on 02.04.2007 at 09:41

heya guys.

You could always...you know, check the band discography page

Anyways, I just bought Ragnarok today and I like it quite a bit, I could see myself getting into these guys deeper, but there kind of like Tool for me; I cant listen to them for long periods or else I just get slightly bored.

I know that they don't have an album cald Hypokrisia but i checked it & I know [now ] that the Band who played the album "Hypokrisia " is cald Tyr too,but they are from spain...
I must to say that they are good,but not too much