Metal Storm logo
Your response when people insult your music taste

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 06.02.2012 - 19:49
I often encounter people who either see me listening to metal, hear me talking about it, wearing a shirt etc. and have nothing better to say than something ignorant like "all that metal music sucks" or metal is shit etc., you can fill in the gaps.

Anyway I think this is one of the universal annoyances metalheads have to suffer at least every now and then. And I've noticed that everybody seems to have a different approach to responding. Some people get into music taste bitching battles, some call each other gay, some even claim that metal takes more talent to play than other genres. I'm at the stage where I just ignore it and let them get whatever dumb remarks they want to off their chest.

So what do you guys do when people say this to you?
10.02.2012 - 18:26
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Zombie94 on 09.02.2012 at 22:42

I certainly haven't heard of 'funk carioca' lol.

Well to be honest if they don't like Slipknot or other nu metal bands like them I tend not to think there's much potential for them liking other metal bands. Just because it's bands like that which tend to be gateways for people into heavier stuff. I started off with bands like Slipknot and Disturbed and it doesn't seem heavy at all now. Back then I thought it was as hardcore as it gets ahaha. In general though I'm not really for the idea of trying to 'convert' someone into a metalhead. Maybe if the person is already listening to hard rock or something to that effect, then you could ween them on to bands like Maiden, Priest, Saxon, Black-album-Metallica. But not if they're the kind of person who insults your taste when all they listen to is what the radio feeds them. They're not worth any metalhead's time when it comes to conversion.

There is! They think that Slipknot is the most hardcore band in the whole metal scen, then System Of A Down and Rmmstein, that are too popular here. Disturbed is kinda unknown, compared to these three bands mentioned above. I started my metal journey with Disturbed, new KoRn stuff and even some Slipknot, that I hate now. I still like and listen to Korn and Disturbed mainly for nostalgic terms. I cant believe that a person can be converted into a metalhead. Like you said, these bands are a way for then to become a metalhead in the future, like what happened to me But the thing that get in my nerves is the prejudice against all ... unless slipknot.

Also, you don't know "funk carioca", eh? Let me introduce you!

Music (lyrics below).

The lyrics are more or less like this, they repeat at least three times, I guess (never listed to this whole shit!).

"What a delight!"

Suck I, Suck I, Suck, Suck Suck I

Little girl, you fascinates me
You are tasty
You get me crazy when you use your mounth
So, get on your knees, put your hands in my waist like you promised
Look into my eyes and

Serioulsy. Tell me: Is there a worst song and/or lyrics in the WHOLE UNIVERSE??
10.02.2012 - 20:44
Zombie94
Written by [user id=114505] on 10.02.2012 at 18:26

There is! They think that Slipknot is the most hardcore band in the whole metal scen, then System Of A Down and Rmmstein, that are too popular here. Disturbed is kinda unknown, compared to these three bands mentioned above. I started my metal journey with Disturbed, new KoRn stuff and even some Slipknot, that I hate now. I still like and listen to Korn and Disturbed mainly for nostalgic terms. I cant believe that a person can be converted into a metalhead. Like you said, these bands are a way for then to become a metalhead in the future, like what happened to me But the thing that get in my nerves is the prejudice against all ... unless slipknot.

Also, you don't know "funk carioca", eh? Let me introduce you!

Music (lyrics below).

The lyrics are more or less like this, they repeat at least three times, I guess (never listed to this whole shit!).

"What a delight!"

Little girl, you fascinates me
You are tasty
You get me crazy when you use your mounth
So, get on your knees, put your hands in my waist like you promised
Look into my eyes and

Serioulsy. Tell me: Is there a worst song and/or lyrics in the WHOLE UNIVERSE??

That has 6 million view?

Wow that really ranks as one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Give me Korn any day over that shit! Seriously, I know everyone is entitled to their own tastes in art and opinions etc.. But I really could not take anybody who listens to that shit seriously. You have it tough bud. Hang tough and keep flying the metal flag in Brasil!
10.02.2012 - 22:23
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Zombie94 on 10.02.2012 at 20:44

That has 6 million view?

Wow that really ranks as one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Give me Korn any day over that shit! Seriously, I know everyone is entitled to their own tastes in art and opinions etc.. But I really could not take anybody who listens to that shit seriously. You have it tough bud. Hang tough and keep flying the metal flag in Brasil!

I told you. You must be the first guy outside Brazil that know this crap. This is one of the biggest hits in brazil, and that's why I started wars with everybody, and that's why I respect Justin Bieber. And thanks, I will be more metal as possible, and my sons and all the sons of my sons wil be too!

(Note: the lyrics are even more stupid. There's no english words that can fully translate this).
17.02.2012 - 18:54
Guib
Thrash Talker
Personally usually I just tell them that arguing about musical tastes is like driving without a car, it leads nowhere... and that I probably hate his/her music just as much as he/she hates mine... and then to get the fuck out of my face before I get angry.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
17.02.2012 - 21:53
dr.doom
Them: Your music sucks
Me: You suck
THE END
17.02.2012 - 22:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by dr.doom on 17.02.2012 at 21:53

Them: Your music sucks
Me: You suck
THE END

Me: Harlan Ellison's voice acting in the video game adaptation of I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream sucked. So there.

Seriously though, metalheads complaining about rap. I think I've seen that somewhere before.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
19.02.2012 - 05:46
The Turbanator
If people insult your music taste, just ignore. They're not paying you to listen to the music.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
30.03.2012 - 14:30
listmor
Meh
30.03.2012 - 15:29
Branzig
Very rarely have people insulted me for my music taste, at least not since like high school.

In the "grown-up" world, most people could give two shits about the type of music you listen too. At least it seems that way to me.
----
In Grind We Crust
30.03.2012 - 15:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 30.03.2012 at 15:29

Very rarely have people insulted me for my music taste, at least not since like high school.

In the "grown-up" world, most people could give two shits about the type of music you listen too. At least it seems that way to me.

True, it's only in high school that you get shit for a certain taste in music, be it metal, rap, techno, pop etc etc.
In primary school you don't see that either. It's probably got to do with raging hormones and people trying to ascert themselves in high school.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.03.2012 - 15:36
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.03.2012 at 15:32

It's probably got to do with raging hormones and people trying to ascert themselves in high school.

Yeah, I think it has to do with that "need" to be popular and to feel wanted by the masses.

But even still, I wore band shirts and band patches in High School, and a lot of kids were still cool with me. I suppose a lot of it has to do with your own personality and how you take things in life.
----
In Grind We Crust
30.03.2012 - 16:02
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Branzig on 30.03.2012 at 15:29

+1
30.03.2012 - 18:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
My response when people insult my music taste...I insult their girlfriend and wife.
30.03.2012 - 23:39
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
A lot of people don't like progressive metal...the only reason why people insult it that I know of is because it goes over their heads...

THIS IS NOT YOU GUYS OF COURSE....this is people who listen to top 40 bullshit...you know...fucking Katy Perry, Justin Beiber 'Insert One Letter Here'-'Insert Four Letters here'-'Insert Four Letters Here' Ft. Some Dumb Bitch...

The thing is people...and you all know it...heavy metal follows more than just the standard verse-chorus or JUST FUCKING CHORUS structure that people listen to...

Don't hate...just laugh and point!
31.03.2012 - 03:45
Branzig
Written by [user id=111172] on 30.03.2012 at 22:28

I hate them

I turn into a Misanthrope

That a' boy!

I smell a Black Metal project on the horizon
----
In Grind We Crust
31.03.2012 - 03:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Branzig on 31.03.2012 at 03:45
I smell a Black Metal project on the horizon

Well he is a son of northern darkness...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.03.2012 - 03:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I stab them.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.03.2012 - 09:44
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
"Metal gives me a headache"

Assholes are like opinions, you run into them once in a while.

Just remember, the person who needs to strongly defend their taste and feel superior in condescension, loses.
31.03.2012 - 12:52
My response: fuck you.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
31.03.2012 - 12:52
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Boxcar Willy on 31.03.2012 at 03:54

I stab them.

23 times in self defense?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
06.04.2012 - 12:52
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I'm like you, I generally just ignore it and let them rant as much as they want. Somebody enjoying music - whatever type it is - is somebody enjoying life and having a good time, so it should be applauded, not denigrated.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
06.04.2012 - 20:43
ctenicera
Just don't tell them!!

Seriously though, I would say that music taste is such a personal thing that no one could possibly insult anyone else's taste.
07.04.2012 - 05:09
I_Die_Often
Generaly, those who comment to me about what i listen to are of lower intelligence and listen to crap themselves (country music, 80's pop, current pop, etc).
Why do these hypocrites insist on harassing me when I don't attack them? I hate people...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
08.04.2012 - 06:45
Vikingr
I actually really dig Wu Tang Clan, RZA and Ghostface are the shit But as for the occasional asshole I tend to enjoy telling them to go fuck themselves (I'm a decent sized guy with long hair and tattoos, it tends to help xD). However if it's someone who says it's scary or just noise I suggest a few bands or genres that they might like to try. To me it seems to much of the time be a combination of genuine curiosity and ignorance and they cover it up by being douche bags, and it always helps to remember that women seem to be more attracted to scary, tattooed metal heads than some little shit who digs country or pop
08.04.2012 - 10:01
bran
Written by Infernal Eternal on 31.03.2012 at 12:52

this works like a charm every time
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
09.04.2012 - 00:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.02.2012 at 08:44

Written by Zombie94 on 10.02.2012 at 00:37
I would actually love to see a metal cover of this. Or any of the songs from that game!

If I was in a metal band, I would definitely cover a tune or two from Zombies! This was a really awesome one!

Damn that game is fucking awesome (although a bit hard sometimes), nice tunes too!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.04.2012 - 12:38
Written by bran on 08.04.2012 at 10:01

Written by Infernal Eternal on 31.03.2012 at 12:52

this works like a charm every time

Sure it does.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
09.04.2012 - 13:55
FinnishSammich
"Well you're a fag!"
So much win, so much win everywhere.
09.04.2012 - 18:50
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Usually this

''Well, you are missing out on some crazy good shit''
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
10.04.2012 - 10:25
Nosfer
PEople who insult music taste are not quite worthy of a response ... so I give 'm just that ; o)