03. Hole In The Sky
04. Highway
05. Bermuda Riviera
06. Resonance
07. Solaris
08. Rainmen
09. Saturn & I
10. Cloud Nine

We're all still alive it seems. There was no apocalypse for us as 2012 came to a close but the year did treat us with a premeditated glimpse of how things may have turned out in its aftermath with this compelling piece of post metal by Atoma.

Eight years ago the band Slumber produced an album of melodic doom entitled Fallout, it being their only full length release. It is truly sorrowful in its musical expression of humanity in its death throes. From such an end emerges a new beginning; forming from the remnants of Slumber are Atoma gracing us with this debut effort which they label as "post-apocalyptic" metal.

Residual elements of Slumber's uniquely spacey atmosphere are used to their fullest capacity on Skylight as they emanate from the electronically enhanced melodies. There is a resemblance in the guitar work as Jari Lindholm, previously of Slumber, carries on among the trio of guitarists who weave their melodic magic through the densely layered atmosphere. Some tracks express this electronic array more earnestly, such as "Bermuda Riviera", "Solaris" and "Cloud Nine", whereas others like "Hole In The Sky" follow a more determined rhythmic pattern in which the post rock/metal guitar lines are more formative.

The album is characterised by simple yet impressively climactic drum patterns which emerge from and into thoroughly immersive ambient passages. The vocal work is wonderfully diverse as it fills the atmospherically spatial void whether it is those of keyboardist Ehsan Kalantarpour, guitarist Christian Alvestam or those placed within the well conceived backing orchestrations. The title track for instance bears the inclusion of harsh to clean vocals which are highly emotive and enable the riffs and electronic patterns to strike out in spectacular fashion like an aged star's final burst of light.

The way many tracks merge together to form a composite whole enhances the general atmosphere, though those after some more solidified metal will have to traverse this post-apocalyptic environment in search of it. Initially though you won't have to traverse very far as the metal is more prevalent of the first half of the album, which also grants something more to the replay value of the earlier tracks as opposed to the latter which may seem to drag in comparison in its tendency for a thicker saturation of electronic ambient elements.

However, once you've witnessed the awe inspiring imagery this album conjures up it's likely you'll never want to leave.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 04.01.2013 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 28   Visited by: 474 users
04.01.2013 - 05:00
Ap46

Loved the review. This one along Be'lakor's Of Breath And Bone are my 2012 favs. Just amazing and chills-inducing album!.
04.01.2013 - 05:41
Rating: 9
DelightfulJim

Great review. Easily one of my favourites of 2012!
04.01.2013 - 06:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Oh right, this thing everybody likes.
Post-apocalyptic? I like almost everything that is post-apocalyptic, so consider me in for a try.
04.01.2013 - 07:17
Rating: 10
SyntheticBreed

Christian isn't on this album btw.
04.01.2013 - 11:25
Fredd
Account deleted
I've only recently started to FUCKING LOVE this album.
04.01.2013 - 12:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Definitely one of the best released this year in post and in general. A must-hear. You don't hear something as inspired as this everyday.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.01.2013 - 13:53
CyberSymphony
Ollie
One of my favourite albums of last year, can't wait for their next one.
04.01.2013 - 14:09
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by SyntheticBreed on 04.01.2013 at 07:17

Christian isn't on this album btw.

Holy hell, the vocals are done by the one guy, both growls and cleans!? Apparently you're right Christian isn't on this one, but he'll be joining them on their next album Nova. I wonder what effect having an additional vocalist will have on their sound. I found the vocals so varied I could have sworn there was at least two guys there. Ehsan has serious talent.
04.01.2013 - 16:45
Kuroboshi

This album's atmosphere is so amazing; you just "float". "Rainmen" is my favorite. Very good review. Looking forward to Nova with Christian.
04.01.2013 - 19:36
SyntheticBreed

Christian on the next album will not be doing many vocals. Cleans are done by Ehsan, Growls by either their bassist or guitarist like on Skylight. Christian is mainly doing guitars.
04.01.2013 - 19:39
Justicelust

My number one album of 2012
04.01.2013 - 21:14
Paz

Nice review! Post-metal AOTY and Resonance is album's highlight for me (that solo is just beautiful).
04.01.2013 - 22:03
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Terrific review, very well-written. Top 10 AOTY for me. So different than anything else I listened to in 2012.
----
rekt
05.01.2013 - 02:37
Hooman

I really love this album, can't wait for Nova.
05.01.2013 - 16:11
Rating: 8
Erik M.

Great review, man. Slumber made one excellent album (I only recently discovered it). Atoma isn't quite as great for me, but it's still great. Love the atmosphere.
06.01.2013 - 12:36
PocketMetal

Can't help being proud of Ehsan and Siavosh , this is probably the highest place Iranian metal musicians have ever been . gotta listen to this a few more times.

nice review !
14.01.2013 - 21:32
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 04.01.2013 at 21:14

Nice review! Post-metal AOTY and Resonance is album's highlight for me (that solo is just beautiful).

Right, after hearing this solo all other seems to be the average. Chills every time.
14.01.2013 - 22:32
Paz

Written by Góral on 14.01.2013 at 21:32

Right, after hearing this solo all other seems to be the average.

Dude you probably haven't heard about Lost Wisdom's solo on one string
14.01.2013 - 22:43
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Paz on 14.01.2013 at 22:32

Dude you probably haven't heard about Lost Wisdom's solo on one string

two strings! yes, best solo eeeeverrrrr xD
03.10.2013 - 09:06
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by PocketMetal on 06.01.2013 at 12:36

Can't help being proud of Ehsan and Siavosh , this is probably the highest place Iranian metal musicians have ever been . gotta listen to this a few more times.

FFS Although I myself love Ehsan's personality so much, the music has nothing to do with musicians' nationalities,I'm just saying.I mean has nothing to do with making me feel proud of anyone.Well that's your opinion anyway .
----
The Fangirl.
03.10.2013 - 09:42
PocketMetal

Written by angel. on 03.10.2013 at 09:06

FFS Although I myself love Ehsan's personality so much, the music has nothing to do with musicians' nationalities,I'm just saying.I mean has nothing to do with making me feel proud of anyone.Well that's your opinion anyway .

oh don't get me wrong , there's no reason for me to feel proud if someone from my country does something good , I mean I shouldn't take any credit for it , and I'm not a fan of the nationality thing either. it was just a figure of speech , I mean I'm even of proud of Diablo Swing Orchestra now because I've supported them for years and now they're in a good place.

this is the kinda pride similar to what you feel when your favorite football team wins a match , got nothing to do with your own achievements.
03.10.2013 - 09:58
angel.
Evil Butterfly
R'Vannith you're one of my favorite reviewers here, it's so helpful to read what you write on albums, I like your sophisticated language of writing.
----
The Fangirl.
03.10.2013 - 09:59
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by PocketMetal on 03.10.2013 at 09:42

oh don't get me wrong , there's no reason for me to feel proud if someone from my country does something good , I mean I shouldn't take any credit for it , and I'm not a fan of the nationality thing either. it was just a figure of speech , I mean I'm even of proud of Diablo Swing Orchestra now because I've supported them for years and now they're in a good place.

this is the kinda pride similar to what you feel when your favorite football team wins a match , got nothing to do with your own achievements.

alright, I see what you mean
----
The Fangirl.
03.10.2013 - 15:10
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
It's sad that they're taking a break. I heard something about the situation in Sweden towards immigrants and stuff and they've decided to keep low for a while. Not sure about the exact reason though. I thought I saw something on their facebook a while back.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.10.2013 - 15:35
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Spirit Molecule on 03.10.2013 at 15:10

It's sad that they're taking a break. I heard something about the situation in Sweden towards immigrants and stuff and they've decided to keep low for a while. Not sure about the exact reason though. I thought I saw something on their facebook a while back.

yes I read the same thing on their facebook. It was written something like they should study and work harder to suppoert their family and closed ones because of the uncertain situation for immigrants in Sweden which is getting harsher , they mentioned something about racism also which I don't know what they exactly meant by that, I was really pissed and sad when I read that status, I remember it was like right when I opened my news feed the first post was theirs
----
The Fangirl.
05.10.2013 - 10:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by angel. on 03.10.2013 at 09:58

R'Vannith you're one of my favorite reviewers here, it's so helpful to read what you write on albums, I like your sophisticated language of writing.

Honestly don't know how to respond to such kind words. Thank you so much, it means a lot to hear my own words have something to say about the music I listen to.

And it is sad to see that Atoma won't be writing any more music for a while, I read that the band members were concerned for their families in the uncertain situation you mentioned. That's what's most important to them, their music can wait so we'll just have to hope for the best that they can find themselves in a situation where they can write together again without the fear for their own safety and security.
31.10.2015 - 19:46
MetalManic

Nice review however I'm a little confused of the rating. 9's across the board in the grading but an overall of 8.6?
04.11.2022 - 19:28
Zakzakzi

2022 and this is still stunning

Hits total: 14001 | This month: 15