08. Broken Again
09. Understand
10. Bleed With You
11. Skip To The End
12. In Memory Of...
13. Blindfold
14. Apathetic [bonus]
15. One Way Prophecy [bonus]

Drowning Pool exploded in 2001 after the release of their debut album Sinner which featured the, still as of today most recognizable song of the band, "Bodies".

Who doesn't remember hits such as "Soldier", "37 Stiches", and "Feel Like I Do" among others? Yes, those songs are from the last two albums when Ryan McCombs (SOiL) was still handling the vocal duties and therefore I was wondering if the new guy could continue the band's success.

Resilience, their fifth studio album is about to hit the streets and according to Merriam-Webster, the definition of re?sil?ience is: an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change. Oh boy and they did just that. With Jasen Moreno being the band's fourth vocalist and tagged to fill the void after McCombs's departure, he stepped up to the plate and did not strike out.

There are tons of sing-along anthems such as "One Finger And A Fist" and "Understand" but the band also dedicated a very fitting ballad "In Memory Of?", to their original vocalist Dave Williams who passed away in 2002.

With the singles Drowning Pool already released from Resilience I am pretty sure they climb the charts in no time, but the crème de la crème comes with the later songs. "Life Of Misery" has that special something which makes you head-bang from start to finish and for me it's one of the stronger tracks on the album.

Did their sound change with this release? Maybe; overall it has a less "balls-to-the-walls" vibe than their prior ones with more emphasis on big arena sounding and screaming along songs. Not saying that the last albums lacked this appeal but it seems to me they were just a tad heavier.

But on this note, I truly believe that Drowning Pool found in Jasen Moreno a worthy replacement. He has some serious pipes and proves this throughout the album; most notably on "Low Crawl". I think his voice is very similar to their original screamer Dave Williams, but me personally, I enjoyed McCombs with his groovy, low and sludgy singing style.

As expected C.J. Pierce is no slouch when it comes to great riffing and memorable solos but to my surprise those solos are not as abundant this time around. But the fact that Benton's bass is heavily in the mix makes up for this in the long run. I am also venturing to say that Mike Luce did some of his best drumming on this album. He proves that he doesn't just know how to handle the double bass technique but also how to add "melody" to any of the songs.

I would say Resilience will appeal to the fans who think Sinner is the best the band had ever done, as well as to those who liked the McCombs era albums. For me it's a toss-up since some songs remind me of either period in Drowning Pool's discography.

Pick it up, give it a spin or two and judge for yourself. Either way, the songs I like the most on this newest release are by far "Life Of Misery", "Bleed With You" and as a close third "Understand".

Written on 09.04.2013 by Former boss lady. Now just a professional concertgoer... dangerously armed with a camera!

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 346 users
09.04.2013 - 02:40
Lit.
Account deleted
I like it when an unappreciated band releases some decent stuff.
09.04.2013 - 06:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, DP surprised me with this new record and it sounds amazing.

It's worth to give it more spins.
09.04.2013 - 12:16
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
This is some fun alternative metal. I have to admit I'm quite hooked on the opener. If you dig newer Stone Sour, this should be right up your alley.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
10.04.2013 - 05:30
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I admit, I only clicked on this review hoping to see some people bashing this band. That always makes makes for fun times! But... the consensus seems that this album is pretty good. Promonex says that if you "dig newer Stone Sour" you'd like this. Well I do. So I probably would like this. I may have to end my Drowning Pool strike and give this new album a listen. Thanks!
10.04.2013 - 09:19
Big-Al
Cool, looking forward to hearing this!
----

I drink moosepiss
18.04.2013 - 22:54
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
The only album of theirs that I've listened to is Sinner, but I thought it was pretty decent stuff. Is this worth my time, or is it just "meh"?
----
18.04.2013 - 23:31
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Jaeryd on 18.04.2013 at 22:54

The only album of theirs that I've listened to is Sinner, but I thought it was pretty decent stuff. Is this worth my time, or is it just "meh"?

Sinner is their only really good album. Desensitized was similar in style and sound but not quite as good but still decent. I bought Full Circle immediately when it came out and didn't care much for it since it sounded more like Soil #2 than Drowning Pool. Never listened to the s/t album and I checked out a couple songs from this album on YT and I wasn't impressed at all, sounded better than what I recall Full Circle sounding like but still nothing like the original Drowning Pool.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

Hits total: 8503 | This month: 20