03. Death Does Us Part
04. The Moon-Eyed People
05. Second Coming
06. Welcome To The Horror Show
07. Under Satan's Sun
08. Dead Man's Shadow On The Wall
09. The Last Alarm
10. Necromancer

Let's face it: we've all been guilty of complaining about originality in music at one point or another. Many people (self included) have proudly boasted an "if it aint new, it aint true" type of outlook, rejecting many bands that recycle old formulas and don't push boundaries. Pretentious elitism aside, however, there are admittedly a good number of bands that stick to more orthodox approaches and still get the job done, and Bloody Hammers are on the scene this year as one of them.

Under Satan's Sun, the band's third album, retains most if not all of the features of their previous two: a very old time, hard rock sort of approach, with plenty of groovy riffs to accompany, and a really cheesy, spooky type of aesthetic set by the band's lyrical and visual themes (that album cover just screams Misfits influence, don'tcha think?). Opener "The Town That Dreaded Sundown," for example, kicks off with the classic "Did you ever think, when the hearse rolls by..." line, and the rest of the song rolls by with a thick, doom-ish tempo, appealing chorus, and even a little piano to help complement the vibe established by the lyrics, the other tracks following similar suit.

In addition, Bloody Hammers also make use of some clever, albeit brief audio samples and effects, such as at the beginnings of "Moon Eyed People," "Second Coming," and "Necromancer," to accentuate the pseudo-haunting feel of the music. Though effective however, this technique feels a bit underdeveloped, and probably would have served Under Satan's Sun a lot better had it been further expanded upon. After all, when the right samples are used with the right type of music, the results can be quite splendid indeed.

The key word with Bloody Hammers then, is fun. The band aren't really doing anything new or extravagant here with their third album, but the music definitely succeeds in creating a very memorable hook that ensnares the listener (or at least this one) and keeps them interested in the music's bouncy, horror rock atmosphere. Is Under Satan's Sun original? No. Creative? Not really. But I'll be damned if it isn't catchy as all hell!

Check out "Welcome To The Horror Show," and be sure to stay tuned for the album's full release on June 10th.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 01.06.2014 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 108 users
01.06.2014 - 19:40
Sand
Let's count how many times a review,article or whatever started with "Let's face it"
----
Non serviam
01.06.2014 - 19:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 19:40

Let's count how many times a review,article or whatever started with "Let's face it"
I'm annoyed to death right now

Let's face it, this is kind of a small thing to get annoyed at
01.06.2014 - 19:58
Sand
Written by [user id=4365] on 01.06.2014 at 19:53

I'm annoyed to death right now

Let's face it, this is kind of a small thing to get annoyed at

The fact that its a small thing makes it even more annoying
Dont you hate it? Come on..its such a stereotype sentence.. I mean, the rest of the review is great as always but that little shit in the beginning..
----
Non serviam
01.06.2014 - 20:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 19:58

Dont you hate it? Come on..its such a stereotype sentence.. I mean, the rest of the review is great as always but that little shit in the beginning..

I guess I don't read too many reviews so I don't pick up on these things
01.06.2014 - 20:03
Sand
Written by [user id=4365] on 01.06.2014 at 20:00

Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 19:58

I guess I don't read too many reviews so I don't pick up on these things

Good guy Joe
----
Non serviam
01.06.2014 - 20:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

This is the first time a Metal Storm review started with "let's face it".

"Let's face it" has been used three other times in Metal Storm reviews, however - one of which is a guest review.

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12512
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12201
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=12272

What an absurdly high proportion of "let's face it" reviews. I won't bother looking up articles as it will clearly take up too much of my time to count them all.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.06.2014 - 20:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 20:03

Good guy Joe

Well grammatical errors are what get to me. People saying "less" instead of "fewer" or misusing terms like "comprised" or "nauseous" and so on. I lose a lot of sleep over this kind of thing.
01.06.2014 - 20:15
Sand
Written by [user id=4365] on 01.06.2014 at 20:06

Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 20:03

Good guy Joe

Well grammatical errors are what get to me. People saying "less" instead of "fewer" or misusing terms like "comprised" or "nauseous" and so on. I lose a lot of sleep over this kind of thing.

In that case you should read less reviews and get some more comprised sleep
----
Non serviam
01.06.2014 - 20:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 20:15

In that case you should read less reviews and get some more comprised sleep

*winces*

I'm walking away now...
01.06.2014 - 21:01
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 20:13

Ive read a lot of shit starting with "Let's face it" and I think its the worst possible beginning of anything.

Then deal with it on your own terms and stop blowing up this whole thread and bitching on and on about how much sand it creates in your vagina because you can't stand it. My writing is not catered to what you want to read, so either express the fact that you don't like it in a calm, respectful manner, or just go away
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.06.2014 - 21:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
OMG SO SEXIST..... Hahahahaha.

I dig the track you posted. Sounds like I'm going to enjoy the full album. Sexy vocals.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.06.2014 - 21:10
Sand
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.06.2014 at 21:01

Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 20:13

Ive read a lot of shit starting with "Let's face it" and I think its the worst possible beginning of anything.

Then deal with it on your own terms and stop blowing up this whole thread and bitching on and on about how much sand it creates in your vagina because you can't stand it. My writing is not catered to what you want to read, so either express the fact that you don't like it in a calm, respectful manner, or just go away

I was calm I put happy smileys all the way,didnt you see? Im calm when Im annoyed But are you offended,Che? Yes you are, you answered me like a true American asshole
----
Non serviam
01.06.2014 - 21:17
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 21:10

You answered me like a true American asshole

The one bringing an attack on nationality into the picture is calling me an asshole. I smell irony.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.06.2014 - 21:24
Sand
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.06.2014 at 21:17

Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 21:10

You answered me like a true American asshole

The one bringing an attack on nationality into the picture is calling me an asshole. I smell irony.

The one calling you an asshole is not the one bringing an attack on nationality into the picture, that one is actually implying on your assholery skills being an American Ive nothing against Amers, theyre sick.
----
Non serviam
01.06.2014 - 21:34
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 21:24

That one is actually implying on your assholery skills being an American Ive nothing against Amers, theyre sick.

Oooooook?
Well, I can't deny we tend to be quite skilled in the arts of dumbassery and extreme sarcasm. Maybe it is just in the blood.

Anyway, back to topic of review plz.
----

~ II. VII
01.06.2014 - 21:42
Sand
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.06.2014 at 21:34

Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 21:24

That one is actually implying on your assholery skills being an American Ive nothing against Amers, theyre sick.

Oooooook?
Well, I can't deny we tend to be quite skilled in the arts of dumbassery and extreme sarcasm. Maybe it is just in the blood.

Anyway, back to topic of review plz.

Okay,youre the one who reacted like a bitch. I wrote before "I mean, the rest of the review is great as always but that little shit in the beginning.." because Ive read every single review you wrote since Ive joined ms (and many older reviews), which means something, BUT I am unbelievably (and perhaps unreasonably) annoyed by "Let's face it" and I had to let that mindfuck fly out of me by writing that first comment.
----
Non serviam
01.06.2014 - 21:45
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Sand on 01.06.2014 at 21:42

I wrote before "I mean, the rest of the review is great as always but that little shit in the beginning.." because Ive read every single review you wrote since Ive joined ms (and many older reviews), which means something, BUT I am unbelievably (and perhaps unreasonably) annoyed by "Let's face it" and I had to let that mindfuck fly out of me by writing that first comment.

Alright, well now it's out of you. No hard feelings, let's all just agree to disagree, shall we?
----

~ II. VII
01.06.2014 - 21:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Ok, now kiss it all better and enjoy the music or something.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.06.2014 - 22:33
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.06.2014 at 21:50

Ok, now kiss it all better and enjoy the music or something.

Need pic before knowing if I would kiss
----

~ II. VII
02.06.2014 - 01:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Get the fuck back on topic. It's about the Roky Erickson wannabee band who fail totally at it Bloody Hammers
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2014 - 01:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The K7 is strong with Marcel tonight
02.06.2014 - 01:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 02.06.2014 at 01:24

The K7 is strong with Marcel tonight

Almost still have to get suède to my new phone's autocorrect which corrects in into Dutch ;-)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2014 - 01:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.06.2014 at 01:27

Almost still have to get suède to my new phone's autocorrect which corrects in into Dutch ;-)

I won't even mention the bizarre word that just made it into that sentence

But anyway, back to the review: Let's face it...
02.06.2014 - 01:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Yeah times totally normal english words will turn into totally bizar words which are totally normal dutch words hahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.06.2014 - 01:37
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Let's face it: You guys just can't stay on topic, can you?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.06.2014 - 04:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by deadone on 02.06.2014 at 01:37

It sounded interesting untl Marcel gave it a one sentence review that put me off.

Take Marcel's opinions with a grain of salt, he hates everything
----

~ II. VII
02.06.2014 - 05:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by deadone on 02.06.2014 at 04:56

Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.06.2014 at 04:52

Written by deadone on 02.06.2014 at 01:37

It sounded interesting untl Marcel gave it a one sentence review that put me off.

Take Marcel's opinions with a grain of salt, he hates everything

So do I.

Yeah, I've kinda stopped taking the statements of those who have a complaint about everything seriously
----

~ II. VII
04.06.2014 - 06:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.06.2014 at 05:25
Yeah, I've kinda stopped taking the statements of those who have a complaint about everything seriously

Let's face it, there's too much complaining here.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.06.2014 - 02:26
afu
I listened to the 3 songs on Youtube that have been released so far. If those are the best tracks, this is a 6 at best. Welcome To The Horror Show had me singing Cranberries Zombie over it. The biggest difference between the two songs is that The Cranberries know what dynamics and hooks are. The rest of the songs follow that same mid-tempo, repetitive, sameness that has ruined rock radio. It sounds like any inspiration was click tracked and auto-tuned out of it. It's like jacking off and going limp instead of climaxing; like a coked-up yuppie who's bored.
06.06.2014 - 02:34
afu
Also, the singer looks like a cross between Eerie Von and Chuck Biscuits, the album cover is borrowed from the same place The Misfits borrowed from for the Evilive cover, and they write songs about horror movies and real life horror. This shit has been done before and done more betterer, duh. Instead of having the spark that made The Misfits or Danzig fun, they're more like the creepy, retarded, uncle, Samhain.

Hits total: 5295 | This month: 7