07. To Hell And Back
08. In My Darkest Hour
09. Run With The Devil
10. Swan Song
11. Legend

Staff review by
Belegûr
Rating:
After 4 years of waiting since the release of Iconoclast, Symphony X return with Underworld, an album that may divide fans of the band depending on the expectations placed on this 9th studio effort.

Read more ››
published 13.07.2015 | Comments (38)

Guest review by
Boris_Pembroke
Rating:
Fantastic production and instrumental prowess make up for some cheesy song titles & lyrics.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2015 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
qlacs
Rating:
N/A
In medias res - I guess I'm just missing some neoclassical bits and the monumental compositions that grab me and drag me along from start to finish.

Read more ››
published 21.02.2018 | Comments (1)

Found in 43 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 64   Visited by: 1268 users
19.05.2015 - 01:28
Stunning Cactus
Apparently the album art features the nine circles of hell from Dante's Inferno. Pretty neat concept - I like how the artist incorporated that.

That aside, I'll definitely be giving the album a listen!
23.07.2015 - 02:30
Rating: 10
DeathSlyzer
I was pretty blown away by this album. Some fans might be dissapointed by the lack of progressive elements. I will say that there are more of them here, than on Iconoclast. And also, those melodies! So many catchy songs here. So much emotion!

Michael Romeo was right about this album having a consistent flow all the way throughout. It really works well when listening through the whole thing. I liked Iconoclast very much when I first heard it. The same can be said about Underworld, but Iconoclast kinda dropped a little for me after a while. That's where this album might overthrow the previous one.

If it isn't obvious already, this album might just be the album of the year for me. It's been an eternity since I've felt this excited and happy after listening to a new album. Threshold came close last year, but that album was awfully short, and that's also a difference maker in the case of Underworld. What an album!
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
24.07.2015 - 00:22
Kamil
Account deleted
Great album. "Charon" is my number one
And it's already my candidate for the best progressive metal album of the year.
24.07.2015 - 00:37
Rating: 9
robpal
Proglord
Excellent, like it more than "Iconoclast".
24.07.2015 - 03:43
Rating: 5
Rulatore
Pretty weak. Only Nevermore and In my Darkest Hour are really worthy imo
24.07.2015 - 09:31
DeathSlyzer
Written by Rulatore on 24.07.2015 at 03:43

Interesting. What of their earlier stuff do you like?
----
24.07.2015 - 22:13
Rulatore
Written by DeathSlyzer on 24.07.2015 at 09:31

From The Divine Wings Of Tragedy to Iconoclast (regular version I might say). Paradise lost not that much, but more than half of it
25.07.2015 - 01:45
indexqwest
Excellent!
25.07.2015 - 02:40
DeathSlyzer
Written by Rulatore on 24.07.2015 at 22:13

From The Divine Wings Of Tragedy to Iconoclast (regular version I might say). Paradise lost not that much, but more than half of it

Hmmm. I find it strange that you don't like this album. What were your biggest issues?
----
25.07.2015 - 03:25
marshalldml
Best album of this year!
25.07.2015 - 13:57
Kalmah
Best album of 2015
25.07.2015 - 14:01
TemplarLS
NO WORDS FOR THIS ONE!!!! \m/
25.07.2015 - 16:12
Therapy?
It looks like Symphony X has gone for a bit of a Rhapsody-esque approach with this album, although a bit rougher around the edges, a bit like the Power of the Dragonflame album. This is especially apparent in the intro and the chorus from Underworld (check from 2:35 into the song). I kinda like it but it's also quite surprising.
25.07.2015 - 16:58
Nicko's Nose
Great album. My only complaint is Romeo's riffs are starting to get a little repetitive.
25.07.2015 - 18:17
Absolute masterpiece. The talent these guys have is amazing
25.07.2015 - 19:47
Rating: 8
Anonawut
A great album, though not a pinch on Divine Wings, V, or The Odyssey. You can tell it certainly belongs with Paradise Lost and Iconoclast: the neoclassical, progressive focus of old no longer takes center stage. Instead, what we have are riffs that sound somewhat generic and repetitive for them, and songs that don't seem to have the same twists and turns as we might come to expect of them. As a metal album in it's own right it is pretty good, though certainly not 'excellent' or 'perfect'. We know Symphony X own the neoclassical-power genre - they are the kings in that field - but this is a different direction, and it doesn't feel like they 'own it'. It's the sound of a band with exceptional technical talent, yet seemingly just "pretty good" song-writing capabilities. It does them a disservice saying this because, genre aside, we all know what this band can do as musicians in general. This isn't about asking them going back to neoclassical stuff or to not go where they want; it's more that they should be pushing the boundaries of wherever they go, musically and creatively. It seemed like that was their forte judging by their ways the carried themselves across the neoclassical genre. This is what a progressive band does, right?

We all want another one of those Symphony X masterpieces, but this isn't it. If the last three albums suggest anything, it's that the band are having a hard time finding a direction to go in here. If a progressive band are to move on to a different place from their original style, like these guys have, to have subsequent releases sounding 'samey' has the air of them hitting a wall rather than being 'progress'(-ive).

We know they have the creative capability to match their technical ability. However, I want to be pulled through their songs to all kinds of unexpected places and extremes, and pulled through the album in kind too. A lot of these songs are enjoyable, yes, yet I didn't get those feelings. Oh, how I miss that!
26.07.2015 - 12:35
Zap
Written by Anonawut on 25.07.2015 at 19:47

You can tell it certainly belongs with Paradise Lost and Iconoclast: the neoclassical, progressive focus of old no longer takes center stage. Instead, what we have are riffs that sound somewhat generic and repetitive for them, and songs that don't seem to have the same twists and turns as we might come to expect of them. As a metal album in it's own right it is pretty good, though certainly not 'excellent' or 'perfect'. We know Symphony X own the neoclassical-power genre - they are the kings in that field - but this is a different direction, and it doesn't feel like they 'own it'. It's the sound of a band with exceptional technical talent, yet seemingly just "pretty good" song-writing capabilities. It does them a disservice saying this because, genre aside, we all know what this band can do as musicians in general. This isn't about asking them going back to neoclassical stuff or to not go where they want; it's more that they should be pushing the boundaries of wherever they go, musically and creatively. It seemed like that was their forte judging by their ways the carried themselves across the neoclassical genre. This is what a progressive band does, right?

We all want another one of those Symphony X masterpieces, but this isn't it. If the last three albums suggest anything, it's that the band are having a hard time finding a direction to go in here. If a progressive band are to move on to a different place from their original style, like these guys have, to have subsequent releases sounding 'samey' has the air of them hitting a wall rather than being 'progress'(-ive).

We know they have the creative capability to match their technical ability. However, I want to be pulled through their songs to all kinds of unexpected places and extremes, and pulled through the album in kind too. A lot of these songs are enjoyable, yes, yet I didn't get those feelings. Oh, how I miss that!

Well said, man. I have nothing to add.
26.07.2015 - 12:48
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I have to say I'm disappointed. And I agree with Anonawut, seems like they have reached a dead end and don't know where to go from here and stick to this repetitive style. It's sad to me because I love Symphony X but I'm not getting it this time.

Maybe my opinion will change with time, who knows...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.07.2015 - 18:11
Rating: 6
Sadly absolutely nothing sticked with me on my 3 listens of the album. Also nothing really did surprise me in the way The Odyssey or Paradise Lost did. Iconoclast had it's moment but couldn't live up to the beforementioned albums. I really hoped for this album to be some kind of comeback because they said they would try to incorporate a lot of elements from The Odyssey and Paradise Lost.
27.07.2015 - 16:26
Rulatore
Written by DeathSlyzer on 25.07.2015 at 02:40

Written by Rulatore on 24.07.2015 at 22:13

Hmmm. I find it strange that you don't like this album. What were your biggest issues?

Anonawut said pretty much what I thought. It sounded simple and not really inspired. Also, I have issues with the vocals here, I'm tired of it already haha
28.07.2015 - 00:07
Gelati
I've always praised Symphony X for literally getting better and better with each album, something only a few bands have really done. This is not really a step forward in a progressive sense but it's full of vigor and energy even if it's in a more straight forward style. I've never really listened to Symphony X for the composition complexity alone as most of their songs are pretty straight forward but god damn this is a shredders dream. Catchy melodies, saucey solos all over the place, and an excellent mixing job made this one incredibly fun for me. I've only got a handful of listens so far but it's a blast every single time. Every year there are a handful of albums that just get to me even if they're not quite complex or appealing to my typical tendancies in taste and this seems to be one of them. We'll see how it does but it was certainly a fun one! 'Underworld' wasn't what I expected but in a weird way it was exactly what I wanted and needed.
28.07.2015 - 00:50
Rating: 6
drummercrm
A huge let down. Only a couple songs seemed to stand out. I'm surprised at how many high ratings this album is receiving. This is not what one would expect from Symphony X
28.07.2015 - 22:50
Therapy?
Written by Gelati on 28.07.2015 at 00:07

I've always praised Symphony X for literally getting better and better with each album, something only a few bands have really done. This is not really a step forward in a progressive sense but it's full of vigor and energy even if it's in a more straight forward style. I've never really listened to Symphony X for the composition complexity alone as most of their songs are pretty straight forward but god damn this is a shredders dream. Catchy melodies, saucey solos all over the place, and an excellent mixing job made this one incredibly fun for me. I've only got a handful of listens so far but it's a blast every single time. Every year there are a handful of albums that just get to me even if they're not quite complex or appealing to my typical tendancies in taste and this seems to be one of them. We'll see how it does but it was certainly a fun one! 'Underworld' wasn't what I expected but in a weird way it was exactly what I wanted and needed.

Very nicely said and I think I share this train of thought of yours. Definitely not a technical or complex masterpiece, but very energetic and tasty! The quality of the production is also top notch in my opinion.
31.07.2015 - 23:44
x-avier
Written by drummercrm on 28.07.2015 at 00:50

A huge let down. Only a couple songs seemed to stand out. I'm surprised at how many high ratings this album is receiving. This is not what one would expect from Symphony X

I'm feeling the same here. I used to be delighted with their albums until Iconoclast and this one is just a confirmation that they changed their sound way to heavy, to bombastic. What this band used to mix (Metal, Progressive Rock, Medieval Choruses, Catchy Riffs and Chorus) are all long. All songs feel the same. Yes, they do have some ballads but I think that they have created them in order to satisfy masses, its not even near Paradise Lost (song) and I couldn't even compare ir to The Accollade 1 and 2.

I hope this album growths on me, but I think this a major dissapointing waiting so many years for these.
01.08.2015 - 21:12
JÄY
Metal slave
Yeah, cool album but I don't get any Symph X feels from it.
04.08.2015 - 02:02
Mr.Wilson
People have to start letting the past where it belongs. SX will never make another V or The Odyssey, so you have 2 options: Accept the fact that they evolved their sound or listen the old albums.It really gets on my nerves when people constantly bitch about a band that changed their sound. For me would be pretty boring if Sx always played medieval themed music with neoclassic arrangements. this album is really strong, very groovy, it has the perfect balance between power and melody. The vocals are amazing, once again, Russel Allen shows that he can pretty much sing anything. The songwriting is straight forward, like some of you have mentioned, and, for me, it worked out great, a lot of catchy choruses and memorable guitar hooks.

Not the best SX album but still a great one. So if you still live in the past, just stay there.
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
04.08.2015 - 19:19
Metal_Elle
Very good album !
05.08.2015 - 03:39
Rating: 7
farfaramir
Written by Mr.Wilson on 04.08.2015 at 02:02

People have to start letting the past where it belongs. SX will never make another V or The Odyssey, so you have 2 options: Accept the fact that they evolved their sound or listen the old albums.It really gets on my nerves when people constantly bitch about a band that changed their sound. For me would be pretty boring if Sx always played medieval themed music with neoclassic arrangements. this album is really strong, very groovy, it has the perfect balance between power and melody. The vocals are amazing, once again, Russel Allen shows that he can pretty much sing anything. The songwriting is straight forward, like some of you have mentioned, and, for me, it worked out great, a lot of catchy choruses and memorable guitar hooks.

Not the best SX album but still a great one. So if you still live in the past, just stay there.

It's a weird statement, since this album sounds exactly like the last two albums. Yeah, change is good, but this is the same "change" we've hearing since Paradise Lost.

(Keep in mind, Paradise Lost is from 8 years ago)
05.08.2015 - 08:13
Mr.Wilson
Written by farfaramir on 05.08.2015 at 03:39

Written by Mr.Wilson on 04.08.2015 at 02:02

It's a weird statement, since this album sounds exactly like the last two albums. Yeah, change is good, but this is the same "change" we've hearing since Paradise Lost.

(Keep in mind, Paradise Lost is from 8 years ago)

Well if you think this album sounds exactly like the previous ones, you didn't pay attention! and Btw, i said (read it again if you want) or implied, that they changed their sound after The Odyssey! and my statement illustrastes clearly that people should come to terms to the fact that they changed their sound over the years! Not weird at all...

So, it´s simple, if you like the direction the band took, good! if not you´re free to listen whatever you want...
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
05.08.2015 - 14:10
Sword_Chant
Yes it's an impressive album (especially the first half of the album) but it's not the best in their discography, it's a little overrated if you ask me, i've heard better albums from this year.

Hits total: 25162 | This month: 12