04. Delirium Veil
05. Return To Innocence
06. Under Somber Skies
07. Seventh Dawn
08. Enslaved To The Mind
09. Masked Ball Dalliance
10. The Escapist [Japanese bonus]
11. Affection Seeker [Japanese bonus]

I have to admit it, my favorite metal bands come from Finland, what's the deal with that country? Everybody was born with a musical instrument in their hands? The range and variety of musical styles is impressive! But Finland is more know by their Gothic Metal bands than their Power Metal bands, with the exceptions Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica, some of the BIG names in power metal these days.

So we have these young Power Metallers from Suomi, this is their debut album and let me tell you that the people that worked in this album is really something, besides that they're signed to Spinefarm, one of the biggest record companies in metal nowadays, this album was recorded at Astia Studio by Anssi Kippo; mixed at Finnvox Studios by Timo Tolkki and mastered at Finnvox Studios by Mika Jussila. Besides the nice team that worked with them, they didn't manage to find a nice cover artist, it could be just me, but I think that the cover is a little cheesy, and many, many people buy discs based only on the cover art you know.

So, I don't have to mention that the production is superb, you've seen the credits, but big budget productions isn't all in this life, so how they sound? Despite their young age, this sextet have the musical skills? Or they are another clone of Stratovarius an Sonata Arctica?

All these answers will be answered as soon you put the record in your Cd player and listen 'Gone To The Wall' opener track, and what a opener! Killer track my friends! The riffing is amazing and the singing is great ! I was blown away by this one! The band stay away from being a clone of the after mentioned bands because beside the Power Metal roots, they add a lot of 80's influences like Hard Rock and classic Heavy Metal, cool!

'At the Forge' starts with nice a synth and galloping drums, second song, another killer track, the lead guitar work in this one is amazing. As a matter of fact, I was really impressed by the guitar work all through the album. 'Seventh Dawn' and 'Enslaved To The Mind' are also great tracks.

The singer, Heikki Pöyhä has an amazing vocal range, sometimes he reminds me of James LaBrie of Dream Theater, just listen him on 'Return To Innocence' amazing!

Very talented young band, a very pleasant surprise, they just need to refine their sound a little more. Because even if they are not copying anyone, the influences are clear, and I think that the goal of every band is to find their own sound.

Written by Undercraft | 09.10.2004

Guest review by
Escapist
Rating:
I started to listen to metal music four years ago and Sonata Arctica was my favorite band. Then I discovered Twilightning in a music magazine and that marked my musical taste forever. Yes, this band made me realize how simple the majority of power metal bands sound. I'll tell you why.

Although this Finnish combo has been categorized as a power metal band, they have a lot of elements from 80's rock, heavy metal and even progressive metal in their music. Ok, maybe now you are thinking about other bands that play in a similar way but, believe me, their playing is really amazing considering that this is their debut album. Don't pass up this album because of the unfortunate cover, too cliché in my opinion and not representative of what you will find.

Read more ››
published 18.12.2008 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 65 users
03.03.2007 - 01:51
Rating: 9
iaberis
Advice Troll
Wow! I was amazed by this album. Till few minutes ago, they remained totally unknown to me, but now I've heard this album, I can say it's just amazing! Their music is similar to Edguy's "Mandarake" album. Great band...
----
Bitch! Please
27.06.2007 - 03:23
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Great piece of the Melodic Power Metal .
Amazing and Brutal Album.
11.08.2007 - 23:26
TSF
Account deleted
Well, Delirium Veil is just great. Probably one of my favorite albums. I just love it! By far the best album by Twilightning (although I do like all of them)
18.10.2008 - 16:29
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
Just discovered this band and it's quite good...but the rating is a bit excessive IMHO.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.

Hits total: 4733 | This month: 16