03. Värähtelijä
04. Hypnotisoitu Viharukous
05. Vasemman Käden Hierarkia
06. Havuluu
07. Valveavaruus

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
It is happening again, here and now. After sailing on the outer regions of the Kuiper belt, and interacting with several extraterrestrial species who could impart new wisdom to them, Oranssi Pazuzu have arrived back on Terra, eager to apply this fresh knowledge to their music. What did the words of those ice giants from beyond Neptune contribute to their new sound? What about the teachings of the Tsuthians, the 9 foot tall gas ghosts who speak only in hisses? Listen carefully, ye carbon-based life forms, and Värähtelijä shall unveil the answers.

Read more ››
published 04.02.2016 | Comments (21)

Found in 42 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 42   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 488 users
14.12.2015 - 15:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
W00T W00T!??!?!?

I didn't now about this at all! So I guess I'll hear some cool new tunes when they swing by Roadburn. Awesome.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.12.2015 - 15:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'll probably listen to this.
14.12.2015 - 15:43
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.12.2015 at 15:00

W00T W00T!??!?!?

I didn't now about this at all! So I guess I'll hear some cool new tunes when they swing by Roadburn. Awesome.

AND they'll probably be selling it as well.... awesome news, I know what band's merch I'm binging on this year
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.12.2015 - 15:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Let's see what these Finnish psychedelic warlords came up with this time around...

Title: Värähtelijä = "The vibrator" (oh my, a concept album about dildos in space?)

1. Saturaatio = "Saturation"
2. Lahja = "Gift"
3. Värähtelijä = we went over this already
4. Hypnotisoitu Viharukous = "A Hypnotized Anger Prayer"
5. Vasemman Käden Hierarkia = "Left Hand Hierarchy"
6. Havuluu = ? (translator misbehaving)
7. Valveavaruus = "Valve Space"
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.12.2015 - 16:39
Risto
Wandering Midget
6. Sprig Bone
7. untranslatable (play on words)
14.12.2015 - 16:49
Gothmog_Motsham
YES!!!!!
14.12.2015 - 18:13
Zap
<understatement>I am excited.</understatement>
14.12.2015 - 21:30
Rating: 8
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Yes please yes please yes please
14.12.2015 - 22:23
Lit.
Account deleted
Aw, hell yeah.
15.12.2015 - 18:34
Zap
Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.12.2015 at 15:43

AND they'll probably be selling it as well.... awesome news, I know what band's merch I'm binging on this year

Yeah, I'll be keeping some cash in a separate wallet for these guys I've never been able to find any of their albums for a reasonable price so if they bring all of them... I'm buying all of them.
15.12.2015 - 18:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Zap on 15.12.2015 at 18:34

Yeah, I'll be keeping some cash in a separate wallet for these guys I've never been able to find any of their albums for a reasonable price so if they bring all of them... I'm buying all of them.

Word up dude. I've got Kosmonument and Valonielu on CD, but if they bring the whole bundle, definitely getting this and the debut. Plus a shirt.... and a poster too if they happen to bring some
----

~ II. VII
15.12.2015 - 19:09
Zap
Written by Auntie Sahar on 15.12.2015 at 18:46

Word up dude. I've got Kosmonument and Valonielu on CD, but if they bring the whole bundle, definitely getting this and the debut. Plus a shirt.... and a poster too if they happen to bring some

Maybe get a keychain, necklace and a pair of pants too now that you're at it?

Come to think of it, Kosmonument would make a great shirt if the shirt itself was blue and the artwork integrated nicely (not the copy-paste job some shirts appear to be where it's a black shirt with an album cover printed on it all rectangularly... I hate those.)
15.12.2015 - 19:13
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Zap on 15.12.2015 at 19:09

Come to think of it, Kosmonument would make a great shirt if the shirt itself was blue and the artwork integrated nicely (not the copy-paste job some shirts appear to be where it's a black shirt with an album cover printed on it all rectangularly... I hate those.)

I know what you mean, there are some album covers that are so colorful a simple transplant onto a black shirt doesn't really do it. Something else I've been dreaming on is a Womlust shirt that integrates the cover of The Feral Wisdom.... imagine how cool that'd be, just a solid blue shirt with all the yellow stripes and design and shit going all over it. Yummy.
----

~ II. VII
15.12.2015 - 19:16
Zap
Written by Auntie Sahar on 15.12.2015 at 19:13

I know what you mean, there are some album covers that are so colorful a simple transplant onto a black shirt doesn't really do it. Something else I've been dreaming on is a Womlust shirt that integrates the cover of The Feral Wisdom.... imagine how cool that'd be, just a solid blue shirt with all the yellow stripes and design and shit going all over it. Yummy.

Totally, and it would be a good excuse to have another non-black shirt.
15.12.2015 - 22:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Their previous time at Roadburn was 2012 and they only had a black tshirt with the logo. It's an awesome logo so I still bought it. I don't usually have more than one tshirt per band so unless they have a really amazing non-black tshirt, I'm just gonna stick to cds (I only have the first two).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.01.2016 - 15:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretty solid - impressive throughout. I still find the mix a tad abrasive, particularly at the end of Havuluu for example, but it's not egregiously bad or anything. I just prefer the softer edges of Valoneilu I think. A wild trip, as per standard Pazuzu.
19.01.2016 - 18:42
Zap
Yes, this pleases me.

Definitely have some problems with the mix as well though. Not enough room to breathe.
19.01.2016 - 21:45
Rating: 10
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
I guess i found my 2016 best album already
19.01.2016 - 22:05
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
On the third playthrough now, shit is pretty solid. It seems to be following from Valonielu in that it's more space rock oriented than it is BM... but the BM that is there somehow feels stronger than it did on the previous album, more developed, or better infused into the psychedelic elements or something. There's also a really good riff-heavy, jammish kind of vibe to it as well that almost comes off as doomy and slightly similar to Dark Buddha Rising at points. Maybe working with those guys for that Atomikyla collab album in 2014 rubbed off on them. Maybe not. Either way, this sounds awesome.

Slowly turning into my favorite Oranssi album after Kosmonument, although more plays could change that.

EDIT: DAMN, that 5th track is hella tasty. When I saw the 18 minute time pop up in my music library when first ripping it, I thought "this is either going to totally suck or be 18 minutes of cosmic DMT black metal orgasm." Thank the Old Ones that it's the latter.
----

~ II. VII
19.01.2016 - 22:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I think this is the most "psychedelic black metal" album Oranssi has ever released.
Valonielu felt a bit stoner. The previous one had some jazzy vibes
But this one is indeed a blend of bm and psychedelic rock
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
20.01.2016 - 01:50
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Karlabos on 19.01.2016 at 22:26

I think this is the most "psychedelic black metal" album Oranssi has ever released.
Valonielu felt a bit stoner. The previous one had some jazzy vibes
But this one is indeed a blend of bm and psychedelic rock

I think that's a good way of putting it actually. I would still say that the psychedelic aspect of Oranssi Pazuzu's music is more dominant here than the BM (always has been, really), but the two seem to have combined into each other more seamlessly. Valonielu tried to do that in a way I think, but the result felt more like "blackened space rock" than anything else. This is more like what I wanted out of Valonielu, but didn't get: an album that grounds itself more in psychedelia and krautrock but that infuses the remaining BM influence into it, rather than just throwing it on top
----

~ II. VII
20.01.2016 - 07:15
Joe Zombie
Much stronger than their last album. I'd place this behind or next to Kosmonument.
20.01.2016 - 18:24
Zap
I prefer Valonielu and Kosmonument, but it might beat Muukulhjfkdsgys for third place. Definitely gonna end up high on my 2016 list though.
21.01.2016 - 14:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=142921] on 21.01.2016 at 14:39

I wouldn't say these guys have made a properly excellent album. They've made some good to really great ones but they've never reached that next level for me. Though I think i'd take 4 great albums over one diamond in a courtyard of trash... i'm looking at you Aevangelist

I weirdly sort of agree, but I'm not sure if that's just down to my tastes and wishing they did a better job of layering cool, overlapping guitars ala Aluk Todolo, Arizmenda etc. instead of relying on synthy mellotrons and other psychedelic rock features, which I personally don't find very psychedelic. I wouldn't score anything they did more than an 8 anyway, but I wouldn't score anything of theirs much lower either.

As it stands, this one is my least favourite so far. The overall sound can make it hard to fully enjoy.
22.01.2016 - 01:53
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by [user id=142921] on 21.01.2016 at 14:39

I wouldn't say these guys have made a properly excellent album. They've made some good to really great ones but they've never reached that next level for me.

Kosmonument is definitely that "next level" for me, probably my favorite of theirs. I'd agree that every else is pretty much in that "good to really great" range you mention, but that one... everything that combines on it, from the catchy riffs, to the awesome bass sound, to the atmosphere is superb. I'd also say it's their best production-wise, one of the finest examples out there of how to layer electronic effects on top of each other... any band looking for a "Psychedelic Effects 101" should definitely sit down and spin Kosmonument.

I'm tempted to agree with Joe Z. that this one is at or slightly below the level of Kosmonument though. The two albums really don't sound all that alike in their specifics, but the band are definitely onto something special here, something better than Valonielu and the debut at the very least.
----

~ II. VII
28.01.2016 - 15:07
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
I keep misreading that last track as "Vulvasaurus," obviously imagining that it's about a giant T Rex composed only of vaginas roaming the outer fringes of the Milky Way in the final days of man
----

~ II. VII
28.01.2016 - 16:10
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ That would probably be a lot more terrifying on image than in text.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
29.01.2016 - 18:26
Lethrokai
I'm still not all that "expert" with this area of metal (still have a lot to learn from you guys) but I've been listening to some of the preview songs here and it's really clicking with me. Looking forward to trying out the full meal.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
30.01.2016 - 15:39
Paz
Elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 19.01.2016 at 22:05

EDIT: DAMN, that 5th track is hella tasty. When I saw the 18 minute time pop up in my music library when first ripping it, I thought "this is either going to totally suck or be 18 minutes of cosmic DMT black metal orgasm." Thank the Old Ones that it's the latter.

Mind-blowing trip, indeed!

As for the album itself, it's a little too long for my liking. I would personally cut the last track, which doesn't bring up anything interesting to the table, and close it at around 58 minutes. 7.5/10, so far.
30.01.2016 - 16:15
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Paz on 30.01.2016 at 15:39

Mind-blowing trip, indeed!

As for the album itself, it's a little too long for my liking. I would personally cut the last track, which doesn't bring up anything interesting to the table, and close it at around 58 minutes. 7.5/10, so far.

Yeah, that last track isn't all that special... Oranssi Pazuzu have had a habit of closing out their albums with more atmospheric tracks, but it would've been interesting to end this one with that 6th track, and then end it on a heavier note. It's still not all that bad though, this one is sitting in solid 8 - 9 territory for me
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 11151 | This month: 6