Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2018

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 05.01.2018 - 19:27
You know the drill, post any metal album released/upcoming in 2018 that you listened, found worthy and want to recommend to others.

UK one-man black metal with a heavy wall-of-noise production. Its on Sentient Ruin, so guaranteed to deliver.

Vessel Of Iniquity - Vessel Of Iniquity

16.06.2018 - 00:57
Mercurial
Written by Karlabos on 15.06.2018 at 23:48

Tell me about it
Last week or so they were like "the album is tba and nothing is confirmed yet"

Nice album anyway

Guess that leaves no expecations to be blown that way, kinda.
16.06.2018 - 01:18
Mercurial
Pretty unique sounding death metal from Mexico. The two songs available sound really good. It's hard to describe their sound, they go from playing fairly unusal riffs through to some full on melodic passages, and it works quite well.

A remix album of what's already one of my fave releases this year. Wasn't expecting that.

Synth black metal? It's weird. It's really chilled but has a black metal percussion and riff-style to it, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any guitars in this.

A band I forgot I liked until I clicked on the Bandcamp page and saw their previous album's artwork. Really good, dense ambient black metal. Only a sample available so probably one long song again, but appears to be part of a split.

Riff and lead-laden, frantic black metal with very nice approach to production.

17.06.2018 - 00:40
Mercurial
Cosmic Atrophy are back! I recall them being pretty good Demilich style death metal. Haven't listened to the track yet.

K, listened to it on my phone speakers. Sounds like Demilich-lite with possibly way too many solos. Not bad though.

17.06.2018 - 12:23
Mercurial
Demilich wannabes pt.2

18.06.2018 - 02:09
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Mercurial on 17.06.2018 at 12:23

Demilich wannabes pt.2

More like pt.3 Don't forget ctlheiiist
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
18.06.2018 - 03:57
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Maco on 18.06.2018 at 02:09

Written by Mercurial on 17.06.2018 at 12:23

Demilich wannabes pt.2

More like pt.3 Don't forget ctlheiiist

But that link is Chtlitist...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.06.2018 - 04:42
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Karlabos on 18.06.2018 at 03:57

But that link is Chtlitist...

Oh shiiit I should have read the band name. I didn't think it was Chtilsaijjfia
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
18.06.2018 - 13:32
Mercurial
I was very confused for a moment there
18.06.2018 - 23:56
Barren Altar - Blackened Doom.
19.06.2018 - 22:16
dimensional
Written by Mercurial on 17.06.2018 at 00:40

Cosmic Atrophy are back! I recall them being pretty good Demilich style death metal. Haven't listened to the track yet.

K, listened to it on my phone speakers. Sounds like Demilich-lite with possibly way too many solos. Not bad though.

Hail! I'm not sure I would call what we do "Demilich-lite" but I appreciate the listen. There will be more coming very soon!
19.06.2018 - 23:22
Mercurial
Written by dimensional on 19.06.2018 at 22:16

Hail! I'm not sure I would call what we do "Demilich-lite" but I appreciate the listen. There will be more coming very soon!

Lol well something sort of in the ball park that could be compared in sound to Demilich then. But yeah, I'll definitely be giving the whole thing a listen
19.06.2018 - 23:39
dimensional
Fair enough, they are a big influence on the band. But there is a vast variety of different flavors to be found here, I think. Not really down to one single band. When we have more to show you will see what I mean. The song I'm recording today sounds absolutely insane.
20.06.2018 - 05:01
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Maco on 19.04.2018 at 07:54

Ladies and gentlemen. Let me present to you to the real successor of Demilich's death metal approach

Seems it was about to be released by Caligari but got mixed up and got released under a different name now. Sounds great anyway.
20.06.2018 - 12:05
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Guys take it easy, I can't review THAT many albums. Or can I?

*points to camera* Let's find out!
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
21.06.2018 - 01:16
Mercurial
New Sleep Terror. It's been a long time since I listened to them but I recall them being nice extreme prog / instrumental death metal. Haven't listened to this yet though.

21.06.2018 - 16:35
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Amarok - I am probably the only one reading this thread that likes this kind of doom so posting it for myself Its quite melodic doom and they had a split with one the best bands in the world Hell. Two quite lengthy songs streaming already but only one at their bc.

21.06.2018 - 16:36
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by [user id=173045] on 21.06.2018 at 16:35

Amarok - I am probably the only one reading this thread that likes this kind of doom so posting it for myself Its quite melodic doom and they had a split with one the best bands in the world Hell. Two quite lengthy songs streaming already but only one at their bc.

Great stuff!!!
21.06.2018 - 16:58
Mercurial
Lol

I listened to the song that was available yesterday. It's not bad, I like the female screeching vocals. Needed some psychedelia or something to really interest me though (still pining for another Bloody Panda release).

New Grey Widow. Partially from my hometown and probably the heaviest band I've ever seen play there. "I" was a favourite when it came out, but it sounds like they've toned down the vitriol and heaviness for this one, but you can still expect some stoner-tinged ultra sludge here.

High quality, ultra-classic sounding OSDM. Nice.

Crusty deathgrind, for all your crusty deathgrind needs.

Soaring, melodic post-black with frenetic percussion and Emperor-ish vocals (and sweet art).

There was also a new Fukpig album thrown out. Has ex-Mistress and possibly Anaal Nathrakh members in if I remember right. Super fun, crusty black / grind / punk. Or as the bandcamp review rightly says: "Good soundtrack while kicking cunts out of the way in Asda."

Two EPs of very interesting journeys consisting of trippy ambient texturing and black metal. Excellent atmosphere created with these.

Play them at the same time to gain an audience with Oedon.
21.06.2018 - 20:47
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 21.06.2018 at 16:58

Needed some psychedelia or something to really interest me though (still pining for another Bloody Panda release).

This year will be simple, I have settled for a meat and potato year. I can sense there will be a Three Knights of Great Potato relase this year. All nourished on meat and potatoes. Mournful Congreagation, which is excellent meat and potatoe, this potato and then Another potato and meat relase which I dont know yet.
21.06.2018 - 21:02
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 21.06.2018 at 16:58

High quality, ultra-classic sounding OSDM. Nice.

This sounds kind of good but damn theres so many bands thats just an inch from this is in sound.
21.06.2018 - 21:11
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Microcosmys / La Torture des Ténèbres. New La Torture des Ténèbres Seems like a long split. This is best black metal if there is a genre like that, with a slight raw and industrial feel to it. Women! Theyre fucking awesome at doing metal.

21.06.2018 - 23:17
Mercurial
Written by [user id=173045] on 21.06.2018 at 21:02

This sounds kind of good but damn theres so many bands thats just an inch from this is in sound.

I guess you could say it's pretty meat and potato
21.06.2018 - 23:20
Mercurial
Found this on Spotify on the way home, though I realise now I rec'd their previous album in the 2017 thread. This one is less weird sounding, but the songwriting is absolutely top notch. Pagan folk influenced black metal with a strong, very high riff quotient, excellent shriek-style vocals, nice raw but clear production and chewy sounding bass.

Curious sounding death metal thing from Finland. It's hard to get a full idea of what approach they're going for with this track but could be good.

22.06.2018 - 23:20
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
RIPIS - I like this and I am pretty sure that this will be liked by the semi big mass that isnt the biggest mass, but they dont read this thread so they probably catch up a couple of releases further down the line. Its standard doom with cleans, sounds a bit gaze at times but its great. And artwork is?

22.06.2018 - 23:27
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
The finns are creating a distinct sound around tampere which isnt depressive black, its more like melancholic black. This album was from last year

But its this 2018 I want to rec, sounds very alike

23.06.2018 - 01:06
Mercurial
Yesss, new EP from The Secret. Haven't listened to it but apparently it's very black metal, so may have lost their hardcore / grind / sludge edge, but I'm sure it'll be good.

Dissonant, chaotic and muddy death metal on Dark Descent.

This is now out in full. Ancient Moon knocks it out the park and Prosternatur does a solid effort on their side.

Don't know how I would classify this. Perhaps some kind of extreme prog with death metal touches. Liking it a lot though. Incredibly tight, technical but song-like approach, nice bouts of melody and Cynic and Darkane-esque clean vocals. No Bandcamp for these guys.

23.06.2018 - 17:14
Mercurial
Written by [user id=173045] on 22.06.2018 at 23:27

The finns are creating a distinct sound around tampere which isnt depressive black, its more like melancholic black. This album was from last year

One of the first bands I ever reviewed for this site. They don't sound like they've changed much lel.
24.06.2018 - 05:18
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Mercurial on 23.06.2018 at 01:06

Don't know how I would classify this. Perhaps some kind of extreme prog with death metal touches. Liking it a lot though. Incredibly tight, technical but song-like approach, nice bouts of melody and Cynic and Darkane-esque clean vocals. No Bandcamp for these guys.

Looks like a great find when there is no bandcamp and no label, I can see only NCS has posted about this. Good album, spinning it now.
24.06.2018 - 19:31
Mercurial
Written by 3rdWorld on 24.06.2018 at 05:18

Looks like a great find when there is no bandcamp and no label, I can see only NCS has posted about this. Good album, spinning it now.

Yeah found it on NCS Just the kind of thing I needed to hear this year, to make a change from all the soundscape-y stuff.
24.06.2018 - 23:26
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Quote:
[quote author=180472]
*continuous batches of goodies*

*sigh*

choose two more
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?