Metal Storm logo
Top Favourite Progressive Metal Albums

Thumbs up: 0
Not my genre so this is a pretty limpdicked list.

Inc. Avant Garde Metal because I'm a Philistine who can't tell the difference.

Created by: blackwreath13 | 27.04.2021

1. Tool - Lateralus
2001 Schism, Parabola, The Grudge
2. Celtic Frost - Monotheist
2006 Ground, Drown In Ashes, Os Abysmi Vel Daath
3. Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
1997 The Chaos Path, Painting My Horror, Master Of Disguise
4. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
2005 The Grand Conjuration, Ghost Of Perdition, The Baying Of The Hounds
5. Death - Symbolic
1995 Zero Tolerance, Symbolic, Empty Words
6. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
2000 Engines Of Hate, Narcosynthesis, The Sound Of Silence
7. Savatage - Hall Of The Mountain King
1987 Hall Of The Mountain King, Prelude To Madness, Beyond The Doors Of The Dark
8. Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
1985 Dawn Of Meggido, Circle Of The Tyrants, Necromantical Screams
9. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
1988 Moonchild, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, The Evil That Men Do
10. Crimson Glory - Transcendence
1988 Masque Of The Red Death, Eternal World, Where Dragons Rule
11. Opeth - Blackwater Park
2001 Bleak, The Drapery Falls, The Leper Affinity
12. Tool - 10,000 Days
2006 Vicarious,
13. Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork
1998 Dreadventuouz, The Eerie Obzidian Circuz, Thiz Ghoultimate Omen
14. Tool - Ænima
1996 Stinkfist, Jimmy, Hooker With A Penis
15. Alchemist - Austral Alien
16. Tool - Undertow
1993 Sober, Intolerance, Prison Sex
17. Savatage - Sirens
1983 Sirens, On The Run, Holocaust
18. Opeth - Deliverance
2002 Wreath, By The Pain I See In Others, A Fair Judgement
19. Meshuggah - Nothing
2002 Rational Gaze, Spasm, Perpetual Black Gaze
20. Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
1998 Bite The Pain, To Forgive Is To Suffer, Story To Tell
21. Death - Human
22. Enslaved - Below The Lights
23. Vektor - Black Future

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by blackwreath13 ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 8   Visited by: 10 users
22.06.2021 - 14:41
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
You should check out Terminal Redux (Vektor) and Crimson (Edge of Sanity). Great concept albums with incredible riffs and progressive elements
25.06.2021 - 11:54
blackwreath13
Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.06.2021 at 14:41

You should check out Terminal Redux (Vektor) and Crimson (Edge of Sanity). Great concept albums with incredible riffs and progressive elements

I'll certainly add them to the list but I haven't found Vektor to be the easiest thing for me to get into even though I love Thrash, not sure what it is.
25.06.2021 - 14:45
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by blackwreath13 on 25.06.2021 at 11:54

I'll certainly add them to the list but I haven't found Vektor to be the easiest thing for me to get into even though I love Thrash, not sure what it is.

Funny that you should say that - I saw that Terminal Redux was highly regarded by a lot of people, so I tried listening to it. But I hated it at first: I thought it was way to fast (kind of like Slayer ) and I didn't like the vocals. But I kept trying and listened to the first track over and over. I was then starting to see the appeal... then I heard the second track and it clicked: I was hooked! I especially recommend the first three and last three tracks. (The fourth is a short instrumental and the other three are good but not masterpiece-level thrash songs). The second to last song will take you by surprise - it's suddenly a slow, reflective song that builds to a climax with an epic conclusion in the last track.
Also, you need to read the lyrics while listening to this album: it's a masterpiece of storytelling. And every time I listen to it again, I notice a new detail in the overarching story. Give it a try - I find it was definitely worth it!
18.10.2021 - 14:33
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Cool to see that Vektor made your list!
18.10.2021 - 14:46
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Good list Not sure what you would think, but how about Queensrÿche - Operation Mindcrime, and Dream Theater - Images And Words.
18.10.2021 - 16:16
blackwreath13
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 18.10.2021 at 14:46

Good list :thumbup Not sure what you would think, but how about Queensrÿche - Operation Mindcrime, and Dream Theater - Images And Words.

Thank you. I gave both of them a shot but neither’s sound really did it for me sorry I’m just not the Prog dude. There’s a bunch of albums I love which I made this list for but the genre as a whole isn’t for me though I do respect it.
18.10.2021 - 16:54
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by blackwreath13 on 18.10.2021 at 16:16

Thank you. I gave both of them a shot but neither’s sound really did it for me sorry I’m just not the Prog dude. There’s a bunch of albums I love which I made this list for but the genre as a whole isn’t for me though I do respect it.

The progressive genre isn't to everyone's taste, you still have some quality albums though. I don't really listen to Opeth as much as I used to, Still Life was always my favourite album of theirs.
18.10.2021 - 17:19
blackwreath13
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 18.10.2021 at 16:54

Written by blackwreath13 on 18.10.2021 at 16:16

The progressive genre isn't to everyone's taste, you still have some quality albums though. I don't really listen to Opeth as much as I used to, Still Life was always my favourite album of theirs.

For me it might be the most hit and miss genre, seems like I’m either going to really love it or just get bored lol. I also don’t listen to Opeth much these days and I never got around to Still Life but I credit Ghost Reveries as the album that was pretty much the gateway for getting me into Extreme Metal bands so that one is special to me.

Hits total: 317 | This month: 4