02. Velvet Tongue
03. And The Kiss Of God's Mouth - Part 1
04. And The Kiss Of God's Mouth - Part 2
05. Renaissance
06. The Everlasting
07. Cult Of Crucifixion
08. Beloved
09. Our Wings Are Burning

The Gothic powerhouse that is Virgin Black is a proud leader of the Australian gothic scene. Since the release of their acclaimed debut album Sombre Romantic, the band led by the brains of Rowan London [vocals, keyboards, piano] and Samantha Escarbe [guitars, cello] had been busy creating another standout album. 2003 saw the birth of the second installment of their dark gothic metal, Elegant? And Dying.

Unlike most of the recent so-called Gothic bands, Virgin Black has a genuine Gothic vibe. Elegant? And Dying recaptures the dark atmosphere from their debut-album. The songwriting on this album is focused on more experimental harmonies than their debut album, with longer compositions and less explosive elements. The vocals are still at times borderline insane, in that peculiar Rowan London style. Unlike on Sombre Romantic, Samantha actually played the cello herself, on top of handling the lead guitar duties. The line-up remained stable with Dino Cielo [drums], Craig Edis [guitars, vocals] and Ian Miller [bass, vocals].

As with Sombre Romantic, this gem of an album is a really compelling and worthy musical experience. Detailing this album would be futile. Just listen to any of their songs, if you like it, get this album. Overall, this record features a slower, slightly softer and gloomier pace than its predecessor. The dramatic imprint of Virgin Black is kept alive throughout the record, with some really standout moments. However, "Sombre Romantic" is globally a more appealing album than this one, although Elegant? And Dying stands out as a terrific effort, without trying to emulate the recipe of their previous success.

Highlights: 'Our Wings Are Burning' and 'Adorned in Ashes'

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 07.10.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 101 users
08.10.2007 - 12:04
Rating: 10
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Wonderful album, I love Our Wings Are Burning, Adorned In Ashes and The Kiss Of God's Mouth! Very mystic band, one of my favourites ever, though this isn't their masterpiece album (it's "Sombre Romantic" IMO)... good review!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
09.11.2007 - 02:57
nehrodwarf

I'm hearing this album, and I'm thinking fine very fine, they melody it's so heavy and in sae time so soft, it's mixing two types of song, and having a very strong vocals in some tracks

very good!!!!!!!!
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
26.10.2009 - 22:10
Rating: 9
Solstafir!

Great album! Love the atmosphere of this album...so damn heavy...
My favourite tracks : "And the Kiss of God's Mouth Pt.II" and the really eerie "The Cult of Crucifixion"...

Hits total: 6605 | This month: 9