Metal Storm logo
Best Male Power Metal Singer

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.10.2007 - 04:52
I know there are many other great singers out there, these are some of mine. If there's someone else please list them, I'm always willing to find new bands to love! Please feel free to say what you like, dislike about anything, everyone has an opinion.

Poll

Which singer would you want fronting your Power Metal band?

Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Roy Khan (Kamelot)
Michael Kiske (Helloween)
Other (Please Specify)
Matt Barlow (Iced Earth/Pyramaze)
Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica)
Tobias Sammet (Edguy)
Fabio Lione (Rhapsody of Fire)
DC Cooper (Silent Force)

Total votes: 409
15.02.2008 - 22:40
iaberis
Advice Troll
I voted for Michael Kiske because he was one of the first and probably the best. I don't care about the people who judge him (I'd tell them simply fuck off). My second opinion would be Tobias Sammet from Edguy
----
Bitch! Please
20.02.2008 - 19:21
Mustis
Account deleted
Tony Kakko, hi sings really good, but i will say too Timo Kotipelto but he isnt in the options
22.02.2008 - 19:57
Darkest Hour
I chose Khan! He's an awesome singer and he's Norwegian(I love Norway, dear neighbour)

But I could have chosen Matt Barlow! He's just amazing.
24.02.2008 - 16:16
cadenz
IMO, Marco Hietala of Tarot/Nightwish has got the best male lead voice in traditional metal at the moment.
05.03.2008 - 09:47
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Bloody dilemma... Wanted to vote for Tobias Sammer, but Hansi is just somehow... better, IMHO.
----
28.03.2008 - 23:56
Evil Chip
Tony kakko has one of the best power metal and I like the fact that he can sing agressive too.
04.04.2008 - 02:53
Colony
Account deleted
Ilja Jalkanen would be who I would pick. He does the vocals for the Melodic Power Metal band Kiuas. They kick major ass
04.04.2008 - 12:08
LoverOfDarkness3
Account deleted
I voted for Matt Barlow because I love his voice so much, especially in "I died for you."
05.04.2008 - 20:26
eximius
Michael Kiske was born for playing power metal not just for the sake of "mooshoo"
06.04.2008 - 16:49
Stratowarrior
hey what happened with the best???? TIMO KOTIPELTO!!!!!
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
09.04.2008 - 23:36
EpicMayhem
It's hard to choose. they are all so good but i chose Tobias Sammet but my second pick would have been Khan.
10.04.2008 - 15:31
Lombjeff
i choose Fabio Lione, he is one of the best in my opinion
11.04.2008 - 02:58
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I voted for Hansi, for power metal singer.. Although my fav is Khan's voice.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
12.04.2008 - 02:32
Arçaliz
Account deleted
Whay happened with Michele Luppi of Vision Divine ? ? ?
14.04.2008 - 16:59
manos
First Michael Kiske
Then Andre Matos
15.04.2008 - 13:01
Majkojeb
Account deleted
i voted Hansi but i like tony kakko's voice too very much
15.04.2008 - 19:37
HugeTheConqeror
My vote goes to Jens Carlsson of Persuader/Savage Circus/Dark Empire. He has great range, sounding really good in high and low pitch. What sets him apart for me is that he is able to sing well, and yet still sound aggressive.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
17.04.2008 - 04:30
Haightredy
It was pretty hard to decide between Hansi and Fabio, and Kiske. But I had to give it to Hansi, just for his extreme use of multitracking.

"Blind Guardian have no instruments. Hansi just opens his mouth and all the music comes out."
22.05.2008 - 18:41
Silent_wolfer
Tony kakko. Cause he's one hell of a good power metal singer.
23.05.2008 - 10:21
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
from those bands i still listen to BG only...

anyway the quality of power metal vocal is about how much he is gay...since hammerfall vocal is the gayest ever i voted for other
05.06.2008 - 17:17
HieKuun
Account deleted
Written by Metalhead2 on 23.05.2008 at 10:21

anyway the quality of power metal vocal is about how much he is gay...since hammerfall vocal is the gayest ever i voted for other

Metalheads like yourseld always keep disappointing me...:noidea:
05.06.2008 - 18:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast

hammerfall rules with balls of steel, and Cans has one of the most unique voices in all power metal.

as for me, it's a battle between the guy from nostradameus, cans, and kursch, and i choose hansi kursch because he has a versatile and extremely powerful voice, a great range and he's not only good at raspy screaming(the bit in time stands still when he sings 'come out! cowaard!!') but also at soft singing, like on Nightfall and Demons and Wizards' Fiddler on the Green. also a great frontman.

as for my fav vocalist out of the list, hands down Matt Barlow, but i don't consider Iced Earth power metal, more like some dark thrash/heavy metal)
05.06.2008 - 19:01
Abattoir
Staff
The above listed vocalists are very good ones, but I think that one of the greatest one is missing on this list. And that would be good, old and well-known Kai Hansen (Gamma Ray) ...he was, is, will be for me the best heavy/power metal vocalist...
06.06.2008 - 00:36
Freezer
Ehm, where are Kotipelto, Matos and Hansen? :| In that list, I pick Herr Kursch
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
06.06.2008 - 09:14
Hrothdane
Written by Valentin B on 05.06.2008 at 18:15

hammerfall rules with balls of steel, and Cans has one of the most unique voices in all power metal.

as for me, it's a battle between the guy from nostradameus, cans, and kursch, and i choose hansi kursch because he has a versatile and extremely powerful voice, a great range and he's not only good at raspy screaming(the bit in time stands still when he sings 'come out! cowaard!!') but also at soft singing, like on Nightfall and Demons and Wizards' Fiddler on the Green. also a great frontman.

as for my fav vocalist out of the list, hands down Matt Barlow, but i don't consider Iced Earth power metal, more like some dark thrash/heavy metal)

I completely agree, with one caveat. I personally consider Iced Earth to be power/thrash or power/heavy. Frankly, I can see alot of similarities with some of Blind Guardian's first couple CDs. The guitar riffs tend to be heavier than alot of power metal, but Matt Barlow's vocals are definately suited for power metal and the themes of alot of their songs seem power metal to me. Hold At All Costs, Stormrider, the Hunter, and Dark Saga are some good examples. Hold At All Costs is about triumphing over overwhelming odds, I'm pretty sure Stormrider has at least a couple DND references, the lyrics to the Hunter could have almost been written by Hammerfall, and the Dark Saga is about refusing to accept fate and creating your own destiny. Overall, their songs are just darker than most power metal, thus making them more power/thrash or power/heavy.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
08.06.2008 - 08:09
Bitch Boy
Daniel Heiman, ex-Lost Horizon is missing. I voted "Other" because of his powerful and really cool voice. If I hadn't voted other, I think I would have voted Matt Barlow, another powerful voice, and such a great thing to have him back to Iced Earth.
08.06.2008 - 18:51
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
My vote goes to ZP Theart, Dragonforce's (also known as DragonHeart) Vocalist, then it's OTHER.
and my next choice would be Hansi Kursch...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
10.06.2008 - 23:20
Gordon Freeman
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 08.06.2008 at 18:51

My vote goes to ZP Theart, Dragonforce's (also known as DragonHeart) Vocalist

I can not possibly overstate how average this singer is. Not even to be considered in a top 50 power metal singer discussion.

Maybe it's just the speed at which he is forced to sing that makes his voice sound so poor...I don't know.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
10.06.2008 - 23:42
Varegan
Hamranakara
I don't know many power metal vocalist, but I love Hansi Kursch's voice,really strong and full of power, I also love Eric Adams vocals, he is a heavy metal vocalist but i prefer his vocal to other power singers.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
11.06.2008 - 00:07
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Gordon Freeman on 10.06.2008 at 23:20

I can not possibly overstate how average this singer is. Not even to be considered in a top 50 power metal singer discussion.

Maybe it's just the speed at which he is forced to sing that makes his voice sound so poor...I don't know.

i know it's just the matter of personal oponions and i'm not going to argue over this, but he is not as talentless as you say, i.e :he can sing extremely high notes AND Li (his band-mate) said that "He was the first guy we met who could actually sing what he said he could".
but as Li is his bandmate, he might be exaggerating!!!
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face