03. Be Loud
04. On The Outside
05. Defy You
06. Enforcer
07. Tools For War
08. Born To Expire
09. Marathon
10. Self Defence
11. Catholic High School (Girls In Trouble)
12. Unexpected

Leeway, after sifting through rough demos, finally settled down with a brilliant debut release in the form of Born To Expire in 1989. It's a defining artifact in the NY hardcore punk that leaps into crossover thrash, representing a perfect synthesis of aggressive intensity, streetwise lyrical realism, and "genre-defying musicianship". No wait, Suicidal Tendencies's self-titled defied the genre in 1983, Stormtroopers Of Death's Speak English Or Die in 1985, Cro-Mags's The Age Of Quarrel did in 1986, D.R.I.'s Crossover in 1987...

Does Leeway's debut release in 1989, namely Born To Expire, have genre-defying musicianship? Let's unravel it.

From the opening chords of "Rise And Fall," it's clear that Leeway were no ordinary hardcore band. Guitarists Novello and Gibbons deliver a dual assault of intricate riffs and lightning-fast solos that bear the influence of thrash metal titans like Metallica and Slayer. Their technical proficiency is evident during "Mark Of The Squealer" and "Be Loud", where the complexity of the guitar challenges traditional expectations of hardcore simplicity. The rhythmic drumming is equally formidable, while bass lines adds a robust foundation, often driving the songs forward with a sense of urgency and power that complements the crushing drums. The synergy is particularly evident in "Enforcer", providing the perfect backdrop for the band's explosive energy. Vocalist Eddie Sutton's delivery on the album is raw and passionate, capturing visceral emotions on "Defy You" and "Self Defense", imbuing them with a sense of defiance and empowerment.

Born To Expire sounds sharp and polished, yet retains the raw edge essential to its hardcore roots. The production quality allows each instrument to shine without diminishing the overall intensity, resulting in sonical escapades that feel both expansive and therapeutic, and successfully earning the record its position as a seminal release in the crossover thrash genre, influencing countless bands. The blend of hardcore attitude and thrash metal precision set a new standard for what could be achieved within the genre. Bands like Suicidal Tendencies or D.R.I. may have laid the groundwork, but Leeway accelerated the level, crafting an album that remains a touchstone for fans and musicians alike.

If you're a fan of NYHC or crossover, Leeway's Born To Expire is definitely worth your time. While it may not be groundbreaking, it's an album that delivers fun, and is well worth a listen for the experience it offers.

Highlights: "Enforcer", "Self Defence", "Defy You", and "Enforcer"

Written by Cynic Metalhead | 22.08.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 37 users
22.08.2024 - 21:44
Rating: 9
Guib
Thrash Talker
Great review Cynic. To me, Born To Expire stands as one of the best crossover album to be ever released and I do not say this lightly or without consideration. As one of my favourite metal subgenre, I can say confidently that this is an iconic and legendary recording and it certainly is worth a spin if you've never yet had to chance to treat yourself to it. I also highly recommend their second album Desperare Measures.

R.I.P. Eddie.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.08.2024 - 21:59
A Real Mönkey
Only 7.5? Now that’s just insulting to this classic.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
23.08.2024 - 00:00
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by A Real Mönkey on 22.08.2024 at 21:59

Only 7.5? Now that’s just insulting to this classic.

I mean, not what I would personally give but it's still a respectable score. Not everyone vibes the same. Although I sure agree with you that this is classic material.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.08.2024 - 07:10
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Guib on 22.08.2024 at 21:44

To me, Born To Expire stands as one of the best crossover album to be ever released and I do not say this lightly or without consideration. As one of my favourite metal subgenre, I can say confidently that this is an iconic and legendary recording and it certainly is worth a spin if you've never yet had to chance to treat yourself to it. I also highly recommend their second album Desperare Measures.

Indeed, one of the bests crossover thrash metal releases that with times must have got the recognition. We can't take away the shine it deserves, and I've always enjoyed this release immensely. I still think that my score was apt to what the highlight got from on other channels as well. With every close to your heart, I think it didn't take me to that level seeing how past successors have delivered phenemonal releases(mentioned in my review), and Leeway's Born To Expire had a diminishing effect comparing with those epics. I wouldn't deny its classic status. If it had been released earlier before it hit the scene, this could have been one of the pivotal crossover thrash metal releases of all time.
23.08.2024 - 09:26
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
This is a fantastic album, even better than I could've anticipated. It has so much energy and ferocity, the vocals aren't great but have so much character, and it some of the best riffs I've heard in thrash period! Definitely overlooked that's for sure
23.08.2024 - 13:50
Redel
I will need to listen to this asap. Dont know if I ever have before. ...
24.08.2024 - 03:50
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Redel on 23.08.2024 at 13:50

Redel, the time is now! Do It!
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.08.2024 - 09:35
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena

What do you have to say about this album now, Redel?!
26.08.2024 - 15:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Yes you most certainly do.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.08.2024 - 12:05
Redel
Yes, this is indeed a great hardcore/crossover-thrash album, and it should definitely be listed among the genre defining ones.
I guess I have actually never listened to it before, and this is probably because I have only come across their two later albums from 1994 and 1995 back at the time and was pretty underwhelmed so that I didnt bother to check their debut. Thanks for pointing me to it with this review and your comments.

Edit: My rating equals the reviewer's one btw, 7.5.
28.08.2024 - 06:25
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Redel on 27.08.2024 at 12:05

I guess I have actually never listened to it before, and this is probably because I have only come across their two later albums from 1994 and 1995 back at the time and was pretty underwhelmed so that I didnt bother to check their debut.

I got the recommendation to listen debut album couple of years back. While not much I did find to discover in my initial spins, I left and revisited to attracted with more elements. One thing was common during these years, this album has low visibility. Such a powerful album deserves to be in limelight.

Hits total: 669 | This month: 249