Metal Storm logo
Do you work out, and why?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 01.07.2007 - 16:59
well, i was just curious, with all the metal imagery consisting of so many "musclebands"(manowar, venom, hammerfall etc) who try to look so tough and "heavy", and having muscly band members is a must.

i do, for health and looking good.

Poll

Why do you work out, if you do?

both of the above
don't work out
for health
to look good

Total votes: 228
16.07.2008 - 14:17
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Guest on 16.07.2008 at 12:50

i pole dance. that's all i need! lol pole fitness is the only form of exercise other than swimming that uses every muscle group in the body.

seriously, it's for guys and girls if you've never tried it get a pole and give it a go. you'll not manage to do it for more than 10 minutes without collapsing.

why not go all the way and say - if you live in the U.K. and want to try this, go here:

http://www.pole-play.co.uk/

Hahahaha..
16.07.2008 - 14:28
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
hahaha because i thought you'd have taken it off for advertising! hahaha
18.07.2008 - 04:42
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
There are two things I do that I would suggest...belly dancing that really works out your core (especially your abs) and sword fighting which is really good for your upper arms and core as well...also, I wear a lot of armor when I do it and the sweat that is created when I do SCA events is enough to make me loose a lot of weight...
18.07.2008 - 21:15
Gordon Freeman
Written by Guest on 18.07.2008 at 04:42

There are two things I do that I would suggest...belly dancing that really works out your core (especially your abs) and sword fighting which is really good for your upper arms and core as well...also, I wear a lot of armor when I do it and the sweat that is created when I do SCA events is enough to make me loose a lot of weight...

What I always thought was funny about the SCA as a way to stay in shape is that most SCA guys I know have massive barrel arms and massive beer bellies.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
18.07.2008 - 22:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 18.07.2008 at 04:42

what's SCA? this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_Compulsives_Anonymous
19.07.2008 - 05:32
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Goatrider: Yeah, there are a lot of those in my canton that is for sure...they don't fight that often though hahaha...because most armor won't fit them...you have to make your own armor anyway...I don't have a beer belly...they drink a lot when I'm with them and eat so much...
@Valentin B: Dude... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Creative_Anachronism

Even though I may be addicted to sex and sex is a great way to exercise and loose weight, I'm not part of that SCA...
19.07.2008 - 11:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 19.07.2008 at 05:32

@Goatrider: Yeah, there are a lot of those in my canton that is for sure...they don't fight that often though hahaha...because most armor won't fit them...you have to make your own armor anyway...I don't have a beer belly...they drink a lot when I'm with them and eat so much...
@Valentin B: Dude... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Creative_Anachronism

Even though I may be addicted to sex and sex is a great way to exercise and loose weight, I'm not part of that SCA...

wow, that's awesome dude, i'd sure join one of those!
23.07.2008 - 00:44
Gordon Freeman
Written by Valentin B on 19.07.2008 at 11:20

Written by Guest on 19.07.2008 at 05:32

wow, that's awesome dude, i'd sure join one of those!

I'm pretty sure they have them in Europe...don't know about Romania though.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
25.07.2008 - 06:01
Diluted
Account deleted
i work out to have a hot body
30.07.2008 - 05:09
Darky
Account deleted
I work out mainly because of shattered body image. Health reasons too, I guess.
30.07.2008 - 10:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 25.07.2008 at 06:01

i work out to have a hot body

well then, i suggest you look at your avatar
31.07.2008 - 19:15
Soliloquy
i got a question for guys/girls that have been working out for some time now.

i used to work out religiously about 5 years ago. but after a certain point, my wrists started hurting. i mean, i was curling 50 lbs on each of my biceps, and my wrists just started killing me. as a result, i gave up working out up until march of 2008. i started of with bar bells, and i'm not where i used to be 5 years ago, but the pain started coming back in my wrists. so i ditched the barbell, and went onto a bar called 'ezbar'. if you guys are familiar with it, then you know what it is.

i gotta say, my wrists feel fine now. however, my progression in weights is much slower now, and no matter how hard i work out my biceps, i just dont feel the burn. i feel slight fatigue in my muscles as i'm working out, but i NEVER feel any burn after that...is that a good thing or a bad thing?

and if its a good thing, does that mean that my biceps recover much faster? i had something similar 5 years ago. i could work out my biceps pretty much 6 times a week without them feeling tiered at all, and i could still get stronger/bigger etc...:S
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
31.07.2008 - 23:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Soliloquy: You shouldn't have been curling that much in the first place...that's overkill...your progression is much slower because you started out too hardcore...I did that too...I started out hardcore and I had to go to the hospital...
31.07.2008 - 23:55
Soliloquy
Written by Guest on 31.07.2008 at 23:12

@Soliloquy: You shouldn't have been curling that much in the first place...that's overkill...your progression is much slower because you started out too hardcore...I did that too...I started out hardcore and I had to go to the hospital...

actually, for me to get up to curling 50lbs, it took me about 2 years of working out. and naturally, my biceps were much stronger than my other parts of my body in comparison. but after i stopped working out, and then started again, i began at curling 20s, coz thats how weak i had gotten. and right now i'm 60 with EZ-bar, and then 35 if its a dumbell...

but curling anymore than 50 on the normal straight bars just destroy my wrists for some reason...maybe bad angle..?
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
01.08.2008 - 02:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Soliloquy on 31.07.2008 at 23:55

actually, for me to get up to curling 50lbs, it took me about 2 years of working out. and naturally, my biceps were much stronger than my other parts of my body in comparison. but after i stopped working out, and then started again, i began at curling 20s, coz thats how weak i had gotten. and right now i'm 60 with EZ-bar, and then 35 if its a dumbell...

but curling anymore than 50 on the normal straight bars just destroy my wrists for some reason...maybe bad angle..?

That's why you use the preacher bar with the indents in the middle. I curl 65 pounds with that bar, but I do it while standing which takes some stress from your wrists. Before I did that, mine would hurt really bad. But, dumbbells work your arms better anyways, so that's what I stick with.
01.08.2008 - 03:15
thesabbathfan
health, mainly.

although i do still have a bit of flab from when i was a five year old fatty, but i still look buff when i wear tight shirts =D
----
01.08.2008 - 22:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Soliloquy on 31.07.2008 at 23:55

yeah, i agree with pyro, the preacher is the shit! my opinion is if you can't feel the burn after overloading a seated preacher curl, there's something wrong or you've just reached a plateau in your biceps development, and you might want to focus on something else like back work or something that helps your arms develop, and after you've gotten bigger and stronger in the back, biceps growth should be easier. also you might not want to fuck up your biceps, huge arms combined with smaller torso just doesn't look good imo.

as for the EZ/straight bar dilemma, i don't know, i never felt any different, though the straight bar is much harder, and i feel somehow uncomfortable with the EZ(also i don't like standing barbell curls, sometimes i don't notice that i tilt my torso back and that's not a good sign). you might wanna try going to the doctor, of course he'll tell you to stop bodybuilding and shit, but ignore that, and he'll probably tell you what to do with your wrists, maybe some medicine etc.
01.08.2008 - 23:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
i do it for many reasons: healt and body as said in the poll but also as an hobby (as metal music ) and to make people think I'm strong so they fear me
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.08.2008 - 00:28
Thunderdrake
I was in fencing for a while which really helped me actually get some exercise. I also ended up taking a weight lifting course. I like it because
a)health reasons
b)the sense of accomplishment you get after a good work-out and
c)being able to do more without getting tired/ being prepared for when s*** goes down.
Also, yoga or just casual stretching is really good whether you're working out or not. Keeps you flexible and helps muscles build faster.
----
For Metal!!!
09.08.2008 - 09:50
Hamird
Lieutenant
And today I had my first professional training, and my body is fucked already. ... It was really hard.
In fact it was alright until I started training for my back-shoulder. Ah.. that training killed my all energy..

Ok, I work out, because everybody around me say that my body is very good for it. I have a large shoulder and a strong skeleton as well. Specially my legs.. I'm 93 kilo grams right now, but I have extra fats, so I want to exchange fat with muscle
09.08.2008 - 16:43
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Hamird on 09.08.2008 at 09:50

And today I had my first professional training, and my body is fucked already. ... It was really hard.
In fact it was alright until I started training for my back-shoulder. Ah.. that training killed my all energy..

Ok, I work out, because everybody around me say that my body is very good for it. I have a large shoulder and a strong skeleton as well. Specially my legs.. I'm 93 kilo grams right now, but I have extra fats, so I want to exchange fat with muscle

you should first try to lose fat before training...otherwise will be very hard to lose it when you'll have muscles...and your abs will be hidden just as in my case (even if the rest of the body is fit)
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.08.2008 - 18:14
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Elio on 09.08.2008 at 16:43

you should first try to lose fat before training...otherwise will be very hard to lose it when you'll have muscles...and your abs will be hidden just as in my case (even if the rest of the body is fit)

Yes I knew it, and I'm doing it of course. My diary for 2-3months is just to become fat-free and then the new program for muscles...
09.08.2008 - 18:23
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Hamird on 09.08.2008 at 18:14

Written by Elio on 09.08.2008 at 16:43

Yes I knew it, and I'm doing it of course. My diary for 2-3months is just to become fat-free and then the new program for muscles...

well done
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
17.03.2009 - 05:44
ToMegaTherion
I usually go for a run every second morning, purely for health reasons because I don't have a great metabolism thus it is a way to stay reasonable healthy because I have no time for sport these days.
17.03.2009 - 06:00
tulkas
el parcero
Since december i started to turn up my work out a notch to try and gain the wight that i need. i need to be, according to height, at about 60kg. last year, due to a depression, i gt as low as 52 kg and it sucked. so, i started training a lot, a good workout routine, apart form my usual taekwondo work-out hoping that would help me. but it's been 3-4 months since i started, and i'm currently at 55kg, and i was at 54kg on december! it sucks! i don't understand my body, or metabolism or whatevr is in charge in the body to put up weight. i hate it, i don't know what else to do 'cause i reallwant to gain some weight, on muscles, that is, because i know i'd be healthier, and it would also help a lot with my taekwondo. i'll keep it u and hopefully can put up the weight that i need
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
17.03.2009 - 06:48
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Mmm i used to run a few miles every week but i have since stopped doing so, mainly due in part to the fact that my time is allocated elsewhere. but to my credit i walk everywhere and dont drive so im not a completely lazy piece of shit.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.03.2009 - 09:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by tulkas on 17.03.2009 at 06:00

Since december i started to turn up my work out a notch to try and gain the wight that i need. i need to be, according to height, at about 60kg. last year, due to a depression, i gt as low as 52 kg and it sucked. so, i started training a lot, a good workout routine, apart form my usual taekwondo work-out hoping that would help me. but it's been 3-4 months since i started, and i'm currently at 55kg, and i was at 54kg on december! it sucks! i don't understand my body, or metabolism or whatevr is in charge in the body to put up weight. i hate it, i don't know what else to do 'cause i reallwant to gain some weight, on muscles, that is, because i know i'd be healthier, and it would also help a lot with my taekwondo. i'll keep it u and hopefully can put up the weight that i need

yeah, can't understand my body either... but eating a whole chocolate(575 kcal) once in a while is fun
17.03.2009 - 10:17
Ernis
狼獾
They opened a new sports facility on the campus at my school and I'd really like to go and involve in some sports....
But I'm too lazy for it.......
I saw some self-help style book about workout at the bookstore once....maybe I should consider buying it.....
17.03.2009 - 16:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I was used to work out during trainings while i was rowing...but i quit it because i somehow lost motivation, so now i dont work out at all...and you can see it on my body immediately...the best will be to start again, but i really cant find "courage" to do it... :?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.03.2009 - 16:56
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ellrohir on 17.03.2009 at 16:17

I was used to work out during trainings while i was rowing...but i quit it because i somehow lost motivation, so now i dont work out at all...and you can see it on my body immediately...the best will be to start again, but i really cant find "courage" to do it... :?

Same here....I often feel tension before and during the exercises....the laziness keeps me away from it...and it is so nice to eat a lot and then land in chair and work out by doing some parkour (as Prince of Persia....), meanwhile also having few snacks.....