Metal Storm logo
Favourite "The Devin Townsend Project" Album?

Poll

What ia your favourite album?

Addicted
Deconstruction
Ki
Ghost

Total votes: 13
16.11.2011 - 06:51
whatsacow
Devin Townsend has released four newish records under what he dubs: The Devin Townsend Project. This was a process of self discovery and was basically his attempt to write music while not on drugs. This has resulted in four exceptionally good albums. The question is simple. Which is your favourite? At the moment mine would have to be Deconstruction, because, to me, it ties together everything he has done during his career.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
16.11.2011 - 08:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I tried listening to a few songs from SYL and Devin's Project, but nothing clicked. I remember I listened to one album...had a white cover with what looked like a bar graph or something on it. Didn't mind some of the songs but there were moments that were just simply awful.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.11.2011 - 20:00
IronAngel
Addicted all the way. Possibly the best album he's made after SYL, and at least since Terria. Good songs, no bullshit. The rest of the Project range from OK (Deconstruction) to awful (Ghost).
17.11.2011 - 09:00
whatsacow
Written by IronAngel on 16.11.2011 at 20:00

Addicted all the way. Possibly the best album he's made after SYL, and at least since Terria. Good songs, no bullshit. The rest of the Project range from OK (Deconstruction) to awful (Ghost).

Ghost is awesome. Not metal, but still awesome. And so is Ki. But nah... I love addicted, but for some reason deconstruction just appeals to me the most. Terria is his best overall album though... then Ziltoid.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
17.11.2011 - 10:43
IronAngel
I don't care whether Ghost is metal or not; I prefer and mostly listen to non-metal anyway. It's just that I have nothing positive to say about Ghost. The production is sterile and bland, and there's not a single memorable melody or rhythm on the album. I seriously cannot remember anything about the album after it stops playing. It's not offensively bad or disruptive, but I just find it a pointless exercise. Ki is OK though somewhat uneven.
17.11.2011 - 12:11
whatsacow
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2011 at 08:20

I tried listening to a few songs from SYL and Devin's Project, but nothing clicked. I remember I listened to one album...had a white cover with what looked like a bar graph or something on it. Didn't mind some of the songs but there were moments that were just simply awful.

He's very varied. That was addicted, which is quite different to his usual stuff. Listen to Terria, and if you dont like that, then I'll know you dont like devin.

Written by IronAngel on 17.11.2011 at 10:43

I don't care whether Ghost is metal or not; I prefer and mostly listen to non-metal anyway. It's just that I have nothing positive to say about Ghost. The production is sterile and bland, and there's not a single memorable melody or rhythm on the album. I seriously cannot remember anything about the album after it stops playing. It's not offensively bad or disruptive, but I just find it a pointless exercise. Ki is OK though somewhat uneven.

I'm a massive fan of ambient music. Stuff like post rock, post metal, drone metal etc. so maybe thats why I liked them more.
----
17.11.2011 - 21:50
IronAngel
Written by whatsacow on 17.11.2011 at 12:11

Written by IronAngel on 17.11.2011 at 10:43

I'm a massive fan of ambient music. Stuff like post rock, post metal, drone metal etc. so maybe thats why I liked them more.

Same here, mate. Peter Broderick, Rafael Anton Irisarri, Earth, Boris, Talk Talk, Stars Of The Lid, Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, GY!BE, etc. etc. are some of my favorite artists. That's actually why I think I didn't like it: I've heard so much better. But whatever, a matter of taste!
17.11.2011 - 22:06
Voted for Addicted as it's still my favourite but having just seen Devin play Ghost at Union Chapel in London last weekend that one really is creeping up the list, it's not heavy but it is good and hearing it in an intimate chapel venue was amazing... also the little chuckle to myself at the sight of about 400 metal heads queueing to get into a church
----
Heavy Metal Bullet
Blog for New Metal Bands and Album/Gig Reviews
http://heavymetalbullet.blogspot.com/
18.11.2011 - 08:28
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by whatsacow on 17.11.2011 at 12:11

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.11.2011 at 08:20

He's very varied. That was addicted, which is quite different to his usual stuff. Listen to Terria, and if you dont like that, then I'll know you dont like devin.

I would have to suggest trying SYL again, before you re-listen to devins solo stuff
19.11.2011 - 18:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Voted for Addicted. Still my favourite. Even though I still feel like the others still have a lot of room to grow on me more.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.02.2012 - 02:21
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Easy for me: Deconstruction, without doubt! Addicted was good, but I do prefer Devin's crazier side.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"