Metal Storm logo
Kreator's Best Guitarist

Poll

Who do you think is the best guitarist of Kreator?

Frank "Blackfire" Gosdzik
Sami Yli-Sirniö
Tommy "T. Baron" Vetterli
Jörg "Tritze" Trzebiatow

Total votes: 13
13.01.2012 - 06:32
TerrorZone
Kreator's second guitarist has changed a few times throughout their more than 25 year career.

Comment on who you think is the best guitarist for this band.

Tritze played on Pleasure to Kill, Terrible Certainty and Extreme Aggression.

Blackfire played on Coma of Souls, Renewal and Cause for Conflict.

Tommy Vetterli played on Outcast and Endorama.

Sami played on Violent Revolution, Enemy of God and Hordes of Chaos

For me its a hard choice between Blackfire and Sami, at the end I choose Sami because Renewal and Cause for Conflict are not as enjoyable to listen to as Kreator's post 2000 albums. But Coma of Souls remains my favorite Kreator album.
13.01.2012 - 07:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Tritze didn't play on "Pleasure To Kill", and I also believe he never played any solos either. Mille played all the solos on the Kreator albums until Frank joined the band.

As for my fave, it really has to be Frank, which is all down to "Coma Of Souls". For lead guitar interplay, it's one of my fave albums of all time, and Frank's performance on it is just mesmerising. It's such a shame they only made one album in that style when Frank was in the band. Also, Frank has still played the best solo in "Riot Of Violence" to date. Just check it out on the "Live In East Berlin" video!
13.01.2012 - 10:43
TerrorZone
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.01.2012 at 07:22

Tritze didn't play on "Pleasure To Kill", and I also believe he never played any solos either. Mille played all the solos on the Kreator albums until Frank joined the band.

As for my fave, it really has to be Frank, which is all down to "Coma Of Souls". For lead guitar interplay, it's one of my fave albums of all time, and Frank's performance on it is just mesmerising. It's such a shame they only made one album in that style when Frank was in the band. Also, Frank has still played the best solo in "Riot Of Violence" to date. Just check it out on the "Live In East Berlin" video!

Seems like Metalstorm is wrong after checking Wikipedia and Metal Archives about Tritze playing on Pleasure to Kill.

I wish Kreator did something in the vein of Coma of Souls in the 1990s to make use of Frank Blackfire's talent.
13.01.2012 - 10:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by TerrorZone on 13.01.2012 at 10:43
Seems like Metalstorm is wrong after checking Wikipedia and Metal Archives about Tritze playing on Pleasure to Kill.

The goal of the database is to be as accurate as possible, but with the way line-ups and albums are set up, your best bet is to look elsewhere for that information.

And then of course you can edit the information here.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2012 - 10:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by TerrorZone on 13.01.2012 at 10:43

I wish Kreator did something in the vein of Coma of Souls in the 1990s to make use of Frank Blackfire's talent.

I think where the misunderstanding here comes from, is that Tritze is amongst the band members on the album sleeve/booklet. However, the album ("Pleasure To Kill") was recorded before Tritze joined the band. He was a band member at the time of the album's release, but not during it's recording. Which is why he is featured on the album sleeve, but never actually played on it.

And yep, couldn't agree more. His talents were never fully utilised again on a Kreator album, mainly because of the direction they decided to take after Coma. Which is a shame.
13.01.2012 - 10:52
TerrorZone
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.01.2012 at 07:22

After watching the video, I agree with you, Blackfire is pretty much perfect at soloing.
13.01.2012 - 21:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There is no way to tell best al are same, all do their job good, studio all, never have seen band live 10 times whit each to say who's best so ....all
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.01.2012 - 07:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've just looked at my "Pleasure To Kill" cd, and it appears it was actually a guy called (Michael) Wulf who is pictured and credited. But all the guitar tracks were recorded by Mille only, Wulf didn't play on it.
14.01.2012 - 11:10
TerrorZone
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2012 at 07:09

I've just looked at my "Pleasure To Kill" cd, and it appears it was actually a guy called (Michael) Wulf who is pictured and credited. But all the guitar tracks were recorded by Mille only, Wulf didn't play on it.

Looks like the internet's filled with errors.
14.01.2012 - 11:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by TerrorZone on 14.01.2012 at 11:10

And that surprises you?

Anyways, here is the back of the "Pleasure To Kill" album sleeve featuring Wulf. (He's on the far right of the picture)

14.01.2012 - 15:21
RavenKing
I'm not a guitar player, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

I'm not someone who really cares for guitar solos. When listening to metal, my focus is on rythm guitars (riffs), drums and vocals (and the general feeling it creates). Guitar solos simply seem to get over my head easily and not stick in my mind. Usually, after listening to a song, I could not even tell you if there was a guitar solo in it, unless I pay special attention (shifting my focus) to guitar solos.

So, my favorite Kreator guitarist is Mille. He's an awesome rythm guitarist and can play solos too. Imo, he's great live, especially as he also has to perform vocals while playing his guitar parts. I think he's better than Hetfield and Mustaine, even if both are very talented rythm guitarists.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.01.2012 - 16:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 14.01.2012 at 15:21
So, my favorite Kreator guitarist is Mille. He's an awesome rythm guitarist and can play solos too. Imo, he's great live, especially as he also has to perform vocals while playing his guitar parts. I think he's better than Hetfield and Mustaine, even if both are very talented rythm guitarists.

Totally agreed on everything.

Mille is definitely one of the greatest metal rhythm guitar players of all time, and while his soloing isn't up to the standard of any of the other lead guitarists Kreator have had, he has improved tenfold in that department since the first couple of albums. I still remember being perplexed watching the "Live In East Berlin" VHS as a kid, and wondering how the hell he was able to play those riffs while singing at the same time!

It's certainly debateable whether he's better than James or Dave (although I personally think he is marginally better), but it certainly isn't that he's at least of the same calibre. He's an awesome all-round guitar player.
14.01.2012 - 17:10
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2012 at 16:54

Mille is definitely one of the greatest metal rhythm guitar players of all time, and while his soloing isn't up to the standard of any of the other lead guitarists Kreator have had, he has improved tenfold in that department since the first couple of albums. I still remember being perplexed watching the "Live In East Berlin" VHS as a kid, and wondering how the hell he was able to play those riffs while singing at the same time!

It's certainly debateable whether he's better than James or Dave (although I personally think he is marginally better), but it certainly isn't that he's at least of the same calibre. He's an awesome all-round guitar player.

I think Mille is the perfect frontman for a Thrash band and I have lots of respect for him.
There's also a funny thing about Mille. I'm no singer but if I try to perform aggressive vocals, my natural tone and voice sounds a bit like him (though he's of course ten times better than me). With good training, I could perhaps imitate him to some extent. My voice has a natural sharpness kinda like his.

As for being better than Hetfield or Mustaine, I think he is but only slightly. However, it is possible that I believe this because I prefer by far riffs in Kreator than in Metallica or Megadeth (two bands I'm not listening to).
----
14.01.2012 - 20:43
Misfit74
I'm not sure it's a fair comparison for this reason: Kreator has evolved musically and improved as their musical ability over their near 30-year career. What's played on early albums isn't the same level as what is played on much more recent albums. I'd say the current guitarist is possibly the most proficient and dynamic, but he's not necessarily my 'favorite'. My favorite would coincide with my favorite Kreator albums, in which case is a toss-up between 'Tritze' and 'Blackfire'. That said, having seen them live recently, I can say that I have no complaints about the ability of current secondary axe-man, 'Sami'. His play is precise and appears effortless. He's quite good and it would make sense. Mille' Petrozza has gotten better over the years and needed a comparable guitarist's level of skill and ability to play alongside and deliver the music that has been refined over nearly three decades.
----

[URL=http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Misfit74/d.rp,aat,ts,al,o,g,v,r0.0-5.0,n100,oowun]My Music on RYM[/url]
Last.fm
14.01.2012 - 22:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 14.01.2012 at 17:10
I think Mille is the perfect frontman for a Thrash band and I have lots of respect for him.
There's also a funny thing about Mille. I'm no singer but if I try to perform aggressive vocals, my natural tone and voice sounds a bit like him (though he's of course ten times better than me). With good training, I could perhaps imitate him to some extent. My voice has a natural sharpness kinda like his.

As for being better than Hetfield or Mustaine, I think he is but only slightly. However, it is possible that I believe this because I prefer by far riffs in Kreator than in Metallica or Megadeth (two bands I'm not listening to).

Yep, I've always seen Mille as the archetypal thrash frontman. Being a guitar player myself, I think only increased the respect I already had for him. Mille makes it look so easy, playing songs like "Extreme Aggressions", and "Terror Zone" whilst singing, and believe me, it's a lot harder to do than he makes it look.

Well, if you started performing aggressive vocals regularly, you'd improve and hone your natural ability. Though even Mille himself lacks a bit of the bite vocally that he used to have in the old days. Due to a chronic sinus problem I've had since the age of 14, I can't sing without making my throat very sore, and also having my voice break up regularly. But I still try and sing whilst playing guitar. lol

That is possible, but it's still clear that doesn't stop you from acknowledging the talents of James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine as guitarists, despite the fact you don't listen to them. Which is great, seeing as some people must enjoy the music a musician plays to appreciate their talent. I listen to all 3 bands, and I'd say Mille is very slightly better than the other two. Though all 3 are very talented vocalists/ryhthm guitarists.
15.01.2012 - 01:06
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Well, sami surely has proved that he is a great lead guitarist. he's written great solos and leads and he's been tested for many albums and never disappointed. but my vote goes to Blackfire. he has written awesome solos and leads on Coma Of Souls and i love this guy. he was also excellent live...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.01.2012 - 02:11
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2012 at 22:50

That is possible, but it's still clear that doesn't stop you from acknowledging the talents of James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine as guitarists, despite the fact you don't listen to them. Which is great, seeing as some people must enjoy the music a musician plays to appreciate their talent. I listen to all 3 bands, and I'd say Mille is very slightly better than the other two. Though all 3 are very talented vocalists/ryhthm guitarists.

Personal taste and actual talent of a musician are two completely different things. I've always separated the two.
The fact that I don't enjoy something doesn't prevent me to see talent, I believe.
For example, I don't enjoy bands like Nile or Behemoth but will I say that the guys are not talented? Hell, no. They're amazing musicians.
----
15.01.2012 - 03:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 15.01.2012 at 02:11
Personal taste and actual talent of a musician are two completely different things. I've always separated the two.
The fact that I don't enjoy something doesn't prevent me to see talent, I believe.
For example, I don't enjoy bands like Nile or Behemoth but will I say that the guys are not talented? Hell, no. They're amazing musicians.

I've always been able to seperate the two as well, but I'm very well aware that many people are not able to do this.

Most people are blinded to things like talent when they don't actually like the music. I think a very obvious example of this, is many people who don't like metal dismissing it as "just noise", and played by people who "can't play their instruments". But there are also many people who do like metal, who are just as ignorant when it comes to this...
15.01.2012 - 10:11
TerrorZone
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2012 at 11:47

Written by TerrorZone on 14.01.2012 at 11:10

And that surprises you?

Anyways, here is the back of the "Pleasure To Kill" album sleeve featuring Wulf. (He's on the far right of the picture)

Of course not. In New Zealand, metal CDs are expensive and quite hard to find so I am pretty much reliant on the internet for information and music.

Thanks for the pic.
15.01.2012 - 10:18
TerrorZone
I think that the talent of Tommy Vetterli (Coroner) just wasn't pushed to his maximum on Outcast and Endorama.

It's a shame that the potential with Mille and Tommy on guitars was wasted, imagine the outcomes if Tommy had more involvement in those albums.
15.01.2012 - 11:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by TerrorZone on 15.01.2012 at 10:11
Of course not. In New Zealand, metal CDs are expensive and quite hard to find so I am pretty much reliant on the internet for information and music.

Thanks for the pic.

Well, a lot of people use the internet for information, and it is a good source of it. However, there is also quite a lot of misinformation on the internet too, so you need to be wary of that. lol

And you're very welcome.

Couldn't agree more about Tommy Vetterli. He did play a couple of blinding solos on "Endorama" ("Golden Age" and "Shadowland") but in general, his talents weren't utilised to their fullest potential on those albums, "Outcast" in particular. If he was in the band now, I'm sure we'd be seeing the full potential of the Petrozza/Vetterli partnership...
15.01.2012 - 18:04
meister J Steele
Steelemeister
Tommy Vetterli. Even if those albums in which he played on were bad and waste of his potential, doesn't remove the fact that he still was/is a guitarist with an exquisite technique.
----
My vision is augmented
19.02.2012 - 14:32
Written by RavenKing on 14.01.2012 at 15:21

I totally agree with you.Mille also writes most of the music and lyrics.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter