Master of Puppets
Number of the Beast
Made in Japan

Total votes: 31
29.09.2007 - 01:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
As many of you may know, Dream Theater has been covering classic albums during their tours for the past 5 years. While many bands might do a cover song here or there, Dream Theater will cover the entire album from begining to end.

These albums have all been mastered and released for fans, and have grown rather popular. So not here comes the qustion, which one did they do the best?

For me, I pick Darkside of the Moon. This amazing Pink Floyd album was something I never thought anyone could touch...untill I heard Dream Theater do it. All five members nail the album. James LaBrie is esspeccially amazing on this preformance, and at times I forgot I was listening to Dream Theater and thought I was listening to a live Pink Floyd recording.

So what about you?
----
(space for rent)
29.09.2007 - 10:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know only Darkside of the Monn I dont know otjers, if thay are IM or Met I wanna em, but japan album what is that?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.09.2007 - 23:01
Damnated
Churchburner
Darkside of the Moon. they played it perfectly. Waters should be proud.

oh, and what's Made in Japan?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

29.09.2007 - 23:39
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Damnated on 29.09.2007 at 23:01

Made in Japan?

A cover of Deep Purple's classic live album.
----
30.09.2007 - 12:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Warman on 29.09.2007 at 23:39

Made in Japan?

wow, i should really get that.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

01.10.2007 - 05:35
selken
Irreligious
I voted for MoP, that's the hardest album to play, harder if played live, but tNotB has a better sound quality
----
01.10.2007 - 05:47
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Damnated on 30.09.2007 at 12:19

Written by Warman on 29.09.2007 at 23:39

Made in Japan?

wow, i should really get that.

It is really good. My dad, who is a big Deep Purple fan actually thought it was Deep Purple playing. Also Glover mixed the album for Dream Theater.
----
(space for rent)
01.10.2007 - 18:24
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I had no idea they did this...sounds like some killer albums...think I'll have to look some of them up and then return with an opinion
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
03.10.2007 - 09:44
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
MOP for sure - ive got the album - its so freakin awesome played to perfection, with the added spice of keyboards brilliant
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
03.10.2007 - 10:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
though all those albums are good. Not a single one captivates me like the orginals did. Dream Theater tries to play them all note perfect and doesn't add anything to the originals plsu all of the DT versions are totally lacking in the emotional department. Technically perfectly executed but withoput the orignal emotion to it. But then again DT lacks a load of emotion on their work too IMO.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2007 - 11:55
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2007 at 10:33

though all those albums are good. Not a single one captivates me like the orginals did. Dream Theater tries to play them all note perfect and doesn't add anything to the originals plsu all of the DT versions are totally lacking in the emotional department. Technically perfectly executed but withoput the orignal emotion to it. But then again DT lacks a load of emotion on their work too IMO.

Agree 100%
Besides, I can hardly stand James LaBrie's voice so I certainly don't enjoy these covers as much as the originals.
03.10.2007 - 12:46
Too many fail.
Just out of curiosity, who does the vocal solo on the great gig in the sky on the cover album?
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
05.10.2007 - 12:12
Thrashy
Account deleted
Dark side of the moob of course they revived the album giving it a new feeling

they just dont fit in metallica or iron maiden

deep purple was awesome too
08.10.2007 - 07:55
Anthem
This has got to be the Mooooooost acomplished technical band as a whole. To pull off Master, Dark side, Made in Japan and Number of the beast along with touring --side projects --solo projects -- is a phenominal feat

I would say that musically the projects are flawless, vocally they have leave some to be desired. Not to any fault of James because he sings fine, its just that these albums are timeless and recognizable. a must for any fan
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
24.10.2007 - 03:48
Pianoman
Account deleted
Dark side of the moon is the one of the most classical albums of the history of prog rock and Dream Theater plays it perfect and with a new vibe.
07.05.2008 - 16:15
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
my vote is Master Of Puppets - i dont even like Dark Side Of The Moon's original album and in my opinion its not one of the best album's of Pink Floyd.
but even i cant say that master of puppets is my favorite cover cause i didnt hear other covers or albums of Dream Theater cause their voice disappoints me as well!
08.05.2008 - 01:28
Metal_Militia
//I voted Mater of Puppets because that us my fav album on the list and that just happened to be the one I enjoyed the most,. I especially like the way they did Damage Inc.//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

10.05.2008 - 05:20
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
I have only tried Dark Side, I didnt know about the others, looks good....
16.12.2008 - 23:09
trogdizard
Account deleted
I might be unassisted in this thought, but I didn't really like any of Dream Theater's cover albums. It seems weird to me that such an epic band covered multiple other epic albums by other epic bands and I didn't like them, but I really didn't. Hmmm....I need to go back and read the 101 rules of prog again...maybe I just need to hit myself in the head with a hammer until I like them.
17.12.2008 - 06:52
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by [user id=36489] on 16.12.2008 at 23:09

I might be unassisted in this thought, but I didn't really like any of Dream Theater's cover albums. It seems weird to me that such an epic band covered multiple other epic albums by other epic bands and I didn't like them, but I really didn't. Hmmm....I need to go back and read the 101 rules of prog again...maybe I just need to hit myself in the head with a hammer until I like them.

I will personally beat you within an inch of your life with No Exit and Promised Land untill you understand what it means to be a true Prog fan. Then when I am done I'll carve the Majesty symbol into your chest with the case of Colors.
----
(space for rent)
05.09.2009 - 05:42
Dane, I'll pay you to carve the Majesty logo into my chest.
05.09.2009 - 09:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Maybe i am ignorant, but where is the point in covering whole albums by other bands? i have nothing against covers itself, but whole albums?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.09.2009 - 21:08
terrorist
Hmm i think Master,but the vocals just don't fit right to me.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
06.02.2010 - 06:35
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Even though James really couldn't do Ian Gillan's screams, I have to say Made In Japan, being that only DT could pull off Deep Purple so well. JP does a better job of playing Blackmore material than Yngwie Malmsteen even.
29.12.2011 - 11:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 17.12.2008 at 06:52

I will personally beat you within an inch of your life with No Exit and Promised Land untill you understand what it means to be a true Prog fan. Then when I am done I'll carve the Majesty symbol into your chest with the case of Colors.

This goes into my siggie.

Edit: It can't fit.
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.12.2011 - 16:16
Pennywise
Account deleted
Didnt know that this cover albums exist, but i am sure i will be more pleased by them than DT last albums, especialy with Darkside of the Moon.