Metal Storm logo
Seasons In The Abyss vs Arise

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 26.08.2010 - 01:34
2 great albums from 2 great Thrash bands in 90's ! IMO Seasons In The Abyss was the end of the line for great Slayer albums and also Arise is the Best Sepultura album with Max Cavalera.
I voted for Arise because it was the first Thrash album I ever heard and I really like it.

Poll

Which?

Seasons In The Abyss
Arise

Total votes: 113
26.08.2010 - 21:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by sq_xeper on 26.08.2010 at 20:22

Voted for Seasons in the Abyss, but IMO the best Sepultura record is Beneath the Remains, period

Why is the orthodox opinion that Beneath the Remains is their best? Personally, I like Schizophrenia the most.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
26.08.2010 - 22:02
sbgmetal
By far arise
28.08.2010 - 22:18
@gent_-_orange
Written by sbgmetal on 26.08.2010 at 22:02

By far arise

Agreed
29.08.2010 - 08:55
thesabbathfan
Arise is just plain heavier and faster...no contest
----
29.08.2010 - 20:23
Written by thesabbathfan on 29.08.2010 at 08:55

Arise is just plain heavier and faster...no contest

Not that I'm criticising your opinion on either of these albums, but faster and heavier =/= better. /nitpick
29.08.2010 - 21:40
The_Apostate
Now that is a tough choice. They both are incredible albums that warrant a full listen through when played. I voted for arise though, "Dead Embryonic Cells" is undeniable.
29.08.2010 - 21:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I like Sepultura more than Slayer...so there
----
rekt
01.09.2010 - 16:35
-Soulreaper-
Written by The_Apostate on 29.08.2010 at 21:40

Now that is a tough choice. They both are incredible albums that warrant a full listen through when played. I voted for arise though, "Dead Embryonic Cells" is undeniable.

Couldn't agree with you more. Arise to me is a more solid album. And well it just fucking kicks ass.
07.09.2010 - 19:45
Meller
Sleazy Rider
Arise is a solid piece from then solid band, but in my books loses the competition compared to Seasons in the Abyss. In my ears Arise is more uneven, whereas Seasons has only one filler (namely Skeletons of Society). Seasons sounds to me also a bit more timeless, and from all my teenage years classics, is one of those albums I still listen to on very regular basis.
And I'll have to agree with VezzyRattlehead: Schizophrenia is Sepultura's best album. (Another of those teenage faves I keep playing again and again.)

Kinda funny, as stated earlier, that Death Metal tag has been offered from time to time to Sepultura, as only Morbid Visions shows huge influence from early Death Metal. (Actually, when checking the year it was made, Hell, it IS early Death Metal!) Morbid Visions in my opinion has also hints (or even more) of early Black Metal in it. So in my books there are more misleading tags in the world, though I can't put my name on claims that Sepultura is a Death Metal band - my vote would be on Thrash label. (Damn labeling... makes discussion easier but also so restricted and one-track minded... )

Anyway, I've seen Sepultura's Schizophrenia, Beneath The Remains and Arise as protoypes of and certainly influence for later 90's Deathrash bands. And influences go on at least one Black Metal, too , since Mika Luttinen has stated that Morbid Visions has been one influence on Impaled Nazarene's first album. Definitely in many wys one of the bands that lead the way in the late 80's and early 90's, with way more than one of their albums.

(Yeah, and I still voted against them on this one... But can't help it - the other guys to choose from were Slayer!)
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."
27.09.2010 - 23:05
Yojimbo
Written by sq_xeper on 26.08.2010 at 20:22

Voted for Seasons in the Abyss, but IMO the best Sepultura record is Beneath the Remains, period

I agree, Beneath the Remains is definitely their best album. Half the songs are classics. I also put it above Seasons in the Abyss. (I picked Arise in the vote)
27.09.2010 - 23:08
Yojimbo

Personally, I like Meaningless Movements most on this album.
02.11.2010 - 13:25
Metalbound7
Arise may be faster and heavier, but that doesn't mean it's better. IMO Season in the Abyss have better riffs, solos and Araya's voice is way better than cavalera screams. I like Sepultura, but IMO Arise is just a good album, Season in the Abyss is a classic and my favorite Slayer album. Beneath the remains on the other hand is fucking Amazing.
17.01.2011 - 06:24
Sonic MrSumo
Arise...by a lot! But I could be bias, I don't really get into Slayer.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
18.01.2011 - 03:21
Kratos
I find "Season" much better, imo, one of Slayers best. The rifts, lyrics and drums are all very great. Also probably the most memorable album by them aswell. I find Arise (and Sepulturain general) boring in general. I've listened to it a few times and I always am bored as hell.
23.03.2011 - 20:29
blacktooth85
Under a Pale Grey Sky We Shall ARISE... by miles!! This is one of my all time favorite thrash albums. Arise is way more aggressive and heavier than Seasons. Not to mentions Igor's drumming crushes Dave's drumming on that album. Both amazing drummers though. The guitar work is also better. Seasons gets boring after awhile and probably is Slayer weakest
24.03.2011 - 08:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by blacktooth85 on 23.03.2011 at 20:29

Seasons gets boring after awhile and probably is Slayer weakest

Make up your mind... in another thread you say World Painted Blood is their weakest
But i do agree Seasons is pretty weak. And it certainly is their most overrated.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2011 - 10:01
rudski
Seasons
Personally i prefer Chaos AD for the Max era Sep
24.03.2011 - 22:17
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Do these albums have anything in common other than year released? Regardless, I pick Arise. Season's has too many slow tracks, with Expendable Youth, Dead Skin Mask, and Skeletons of Society really dragging the whole thing down. Of course, the title track is quite possibly their best song, rivaled only by Angel of Death.
25.03.2011 - 22:27
blacktooth85
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2011 at 08:05

Written by blacktooth85 on 23.03.2011 at 20:29

Seasons gets boring after awhile and probably is Slayer weakest

Make up your mind... in another thread you say World Painted Blood is their weakest
But i do agree Seasons is pretty weak. And it certainly is their most overrated.

Yeah what i meant by WPB, the effort they put into it was weak, or should i say half-assed. And by Seasons is "weak" i meant it's their least heaviest. Those are the only Slayer albums i hardly listen too.
02.05.2011 - 04:22
Doom Trooper
These are both two of my favorites but Arise doesnt have nearly as much filler as Seasons.
20.05.2011 - 16:01
Razorback
This was easy question Arise
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
11.07.2011 - 01:14
siscanator
Sepultura from 1987-1996 was the best thrash/death metal band in the world. The only Slayer album that comes close touching Arise or Beneath the Remains is Reign in Blood. Schizophrenia is a good album too, but if it had the production quality of Arise, it would be great.
12.07.2011 - 01:03
blacktooth85
Written by siscanator on 11.07.2011 at 01:14

Sepultura from 1987-1996 was the best thrash/death metal band in the world. The only Slayer album that comes close touching Arise or Beneath the Remains is Reign in Blood. Schizophrenia is a good album too, but if it had the production quality of Arise, it would be great.

Yeah i kind of agree with you about Arise and Beneath the Remains, but Sepultura quit writing thrash/death metal after Arise. Not in '96 when Max left.
12.07.2011 - 01:20
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yeah we're not talking about it being heavier than the other you guys are totally mixing up things...
Yeah sure Arise is heavier... but talking bout quality, its Seasons In The Abyss all the way.
Its all opinions sure but I believe SITA is more mature and complete. Its an album that is not lacking in creativity, complexity and maturity.
IMO, Arise is less thought through and more straight forward. Idk, I found Seasons to be more enjoyable when listening from A to Z than Arise
This doesn't mean Arise is a bad album, of course not ! its a masterpiece... but for me Season wins.

@Void_Eater: Maybe, Expandable Youth, Dead Skin Mask and Skeleton sounds boring to you but personally... I love em all. All opinions like I said
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
17.07.2011 - 21:28
Xenosimian

i don't need to post anything after this statement...
----
This body holding me, reminding me of my own mortality
We are eternal, this pain is just an illusion...
18.07.2011 - 01:15
ravendeath
"Seasons In The Abyss" it's amazing album, but I voted for "Arise" because in my thrash days back then, it gave more good feelings.