Metal Storm logo
What's the best music to study with?

Poll

When with a book in hands, what's the best music to listen to?

No music at all!
Melodic metal
Instrumental tracks of any genre
Extreme metal
Other - please define
Classical music...
Electronic / EBM / Ambient / Industrial
Rock or glam...
Hardcore / Metalcore

Total votes: 199
27.01.2008 - 14:05
iaberis
Advice Troll
Every year when the exams start, I'm getting into a big dilemma... I don't know what to do when I study! Listen to music or not at all? Well sure it depends on the subject you're studying, but give me your opinions...

I wish I could have every possible genre in the options, but the options are limited, so I think that's the best way to put this poll...
----
Bitch! Please
27.01.2008 - 14:07
iaberis
Advice Troll
I went for the melodic metal option, since I usually put Power Metal on, you know the easy going melodies...
----
Bitch! Please
27.01.2008 - 14:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
instrumental are good ones...because since there are no lyrics, you are not "forced" to sing with (or at least i often do, when listen to "normal" metal songs during learning)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

27.01.2008 - 14:25
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Ellrohir on 27.01.2008 at 14:13

instrumental are good ones...because since there are no lyrics, you are not "forced" to sing with (or at least i often do, when listen to "normal" metal songs during learning)

Yeah, I'm thinking of it too, but I can't find lots of instrumental tracks...
----
Bitch! Please
27.01.2008 - 14:25
Torelli
Music tends to distract me, so I usally skip it when am studying. But If I put music on, I usally go for EBM, as you get sucked in to it, without being totally lost in your own world. Covenant's "Call the ships to part usally goes in repeat. My vote? Electronic / EBM / Ambient, of course!
27.01.2008 - 14:27
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I hope this thread will turn out to be useful... I have no idea what is the best music to use.

I'm the kind of person who sings along to the music more than the lyrics, and I read a hell of a lot of stuff on the net + in reality. Sometimes I lose focus and want to put on music, and sometimes in that situation I will try to put on something I don't know very well so that I don't get distracted into following the music instead of whatever I'm trying to read. Along the same lines, I try music with chaotic rhythms so that it will stay firmly in the background, although I also think it may help to have something with a constant driving rhythm... I have tried slow doom as well as faster things so that I stay "energized", however at school we were taught about the alpha brain wave pattern (I forget the specific details now) where your mind supposedly works best while having a certain constant tempo beating around (preferably not too hard, most likely). So sometimes I chuck on classical pieces that stick to one medium-ish tempo... but yeah, I have no idea if it actually works.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to [url=../bands/album.php?album_id=28982]wind up[/url] on Sundays
27.01.2008 - 14:44
Judas
The Amputator
I chose the 'Instrumental' option, because it's the closest to what actually happens with my musical taste. I don't choose any particular genre to listen to, but I avoid songs/genres that I know will distract me/cloud my mind. This means no classic Power Metal because I'll be forced to sing along, no Death Metal because it creates fuzz in my brain, no Glam because I'll want to get up and rock out, etc etc. I end up listening to lots of Classical Music, Ambient, Atmospheric Black Metal, Qawwali, Doom Metal, and whatever else I've got in my collection that I don't actively listen to on a regular basis. This way, I find I focus less on the music and more on the work, but without becoming bored with the work. If that makes any sense...
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
27.01.2008 - 15:02
addiction
i voted melodic although...i believe it depends what you are reading and how much time you have for it...if there's too much to read and a lot of time, then something easy listening...maybe classical or instrumental or melodic....i would usually go for some really long prog tracks...but if i dont have much time to do something and i need to stay focused the whole time (because to be honest when you read quite a lot of the time you cant stay concentrated) i listen to some harder stuff...
----
alive in the superunknown
27.01.2008 - 15:56
Warman
Erotic Stains
Other. I prefer to study to the mix of Progressive-, Symphonic-, Gothic Rock and classical- and folk music... in short: Devil Doll. Mr. Doctors wonderful atmospheric music is awesome to have in the background while studying.
----
27.01.2008 - 16:12
iaberis
Advice Troll
I can imagine pyroleprechaun studying under grindcore music!
I'm waiting for his opinion
----
Bitch! Please
27.01.2008 - 16:13
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Probably Industrial/EBM/Electro.......Preferably the artists with indecipherable lyrics so that you don't sing along and get distracted lol. Indecipherable or instrumental is more effective. btw, check out my industrial thread in the general music forum .
27.01.2008 - 16:14
Stalker
Lone wanderer
OH.. This is very interesting thread iaberis!
Anyway, although I rarely study at all, I voted for other: - I cant study with Progressive Metal, or something complex, like Haggard, because it would draw all the attention on music, so its better to stick with something light, easy listening, that does not require so much attention.
----
27.01.2008 - 16:43
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I had to go with other on this one. For me, it depeneds on what I am studying which in turn determines what I have playing. For general studying, I tend to have a play list made up of a lot of Trip Hop and Ambient material. This of course includes Brian Eno, Massive Attack, Portishead, Lamb, Paatos, etc.

When I am studying the Bible, I actually find myself puting on Metal, typically Christian/Christian-Oriented Metal such as Stryper, Demon Hunter, Living Sacrifice, Saviour Machine, Dream Theater, Killswitch Engage, Kekal, Extol, etc.

Now, if I am reading a great novel, let's say something by Stephen King, Sunn O))) is one of my favorites to put on. At other times, it is something like Hem that I'll play over and over while I read.
----
(space for rent)
27.01.2008 - 17:46
Thrashette
I can listen to any music that I like when I'm studying or reading, but I usually find that classical music, instrumental music, or melodic metal is the best. I just have to make sure that the volume is loud enough for me to hear, but quiet enough that it doesn't distract me. I usually just put my playlist on shuffle, so I don't have to worry about changing the CD or finding songs.
27.01.2008 - 18:18
Harmonic
Account deleted
Melodic metal, for sure. Keeps me awake and focused without demanding too much attention. Classical is not good for studying; there's too much variation in the sound and that becomes distracting.
27.01.2008 - 18:23
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by [user id=22888] on 27.01.2008 at 18:18

Melodic metal, for sure. Keeps me awake and focused without demanding too much attention. Classical is not good for studying; there's too much variation in the sound and that becomes distracting.

yeah, exactly my point!
----
Bitch! Please
27.01.2008 - 18:43
selken
Irreligious
When we talk about study, we talk about focus on something, relaxed, and for those purposes I prefer Doom, is slow and relaxing.

For working in something, a program, a report or something that requires the use of knowledge instead of absorbing it, I prefer really fast music.

If you listen to extremely complex stuff you won't study well or you won't enjoy the music IMO.

And I love listening to lo-fi melodic black while working in midnights.
----
27.01.2008 - 19:00
Abattoir
Staff
Interesting question. Well, nowdays I rarely study without of listening music along...
I vote for melodic, but more slowly kind of music.
But, it still hapens, that sometimes I get to carried away. Than I usually start to sing along the song...and it sounds crappy, like an old broken CD
27.01.2008 - 19:23
Damnated
Churchburner
this thread reminds me that i have to study from now on. i have exams in the summer. damn.

anyways, if i'm doing maths or any programming extreme metal is the best. i can really get my thoughts together and i can see things clearly. if i have to memorize something, i usually go for some dark ambient or post-rock. anything that is not catchy suits me just fine,
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

27.01.2008 - 20:32
Sunioj
Extreme metal, because it gives you motivation but sometimes you get carried away with some bands. Otherwise I usually put something chill on thats not metal...
27.01.2008 - 20:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i think instrumental is the best(at least for me) for studying, as anything with words might get me to sing along and stuff.
27.01.2008 - 20:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I voted for other... Because I can study while listening to any kind of metal [ecept those band that i don't like of course.]
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

27.01.2008 - 21:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Definaly instrumental tracks and classical music on the second place because I dont have to focus on the lyrics and can do the things I'm doing with a clean background.

I stopped studying at the same thing I'm listening to music though, at this point I just need to focus enterily on one thing or another.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.01.2008 - 21:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
minimal/techno/house is also to me one of the worst to study to, as the whacky tempo changes, repeated rhythms and mindless jabbering are as good as blackboard scratching to me
27.01.2008 - 23:53
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Torelli on 27.01.2008 at 14:25

Music tends to distract me, so I usally skip it when am studying. But If I put music on, I usally go for EBM, as you get sucked in to it, without being totally lost in your own world. Covenant's "Call the ships to part usally goes in repeat. My vote? Electronic / EBM / Ambient, of course!

WTF man? How can you focus on your studies with Covenant in the background?? I can't even focus on sitting still with that song playing

Gotta agree with Damnated here. For any kind of reproduction, i.e. applying your knowledge like doing maths, programming, writing up a report and stuff like that, extreme metal is great, preferably brutal death metal and norsecore for me, as long as it lacks emotion. When studying my mind tends to drift away with stuff that bothers me - anti-emotional music helps me to crush any of those thoughts and keep my focus on what's really important in that very moment. Cryptopsy in particular has been a great learning companion in the past.

When memorizing stuff I prefer total silence though. Nothing calm, ambient or classic, just total silence.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
28.01.2008 - 00:10
Inlé
No specific genre. Just more generally "laid back" stuff in my collection (Summoning , Antimatter etc). Especially the former.

... Not that I study much. Haha
28.01.2008 - 00:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I can't listen to music when studying because I tend to focus solely on the music rather than thinking about what I'm reading.

Sorry iaberis, but I listen to grindcore at night to put me asleep and give me nice gorey dreams.
28.01.2008 - 00:55
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Inlé on 28.01.2008 at 00:10

No specific genre. Just more generally "laid back" stuff in my collection (Summoning , Antimatter etc).

Oh man, Antimatter is some of the most relaxing music I have ever heard, I tend to mix it with Sigur Ros and Geoff Tate for a fantastic mix.
----
(space for rent)
28.01.2008 - 01:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I wont vote because ususlay if I studdy I listen classical music, jazz or indian music , only instrumental music because whan i need to concentrate i lsiten instrumental music moustly jazz or classical, sometimes indian, no metal, it will take my mind away
Alos simple accustic guitar, keyboards and so on
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.01.2008 - 04:59
DreamWeaver
Elite
Post-rock for me. It's so relaxing that helps me focus. Also ambient or industrial music are great for studying. What's not good is prog or technical death, those two tend to distract me. Specially prog, since I love the genre so much I tend to pay more attention to the music than to what I'm studying.
----