Metal Storm logo
Jeff Waters (Annihilator) vs Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)

Poll

Who is the better of the two?

Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
Jeff Waters (Annihilator)

Total votes: 85
14.06.2006 - 14:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
A friend of mine and I were arguing one day about this. He says Waters is better, I think Loomis. But since we both don't really know what they can, besides what they show, we kinda got stuck. So, I need your help.

I think Loomis is better, his work on 'This Godless Endeavor' is mindblowing! His sweeps and solo's, also his riffing is great.. And he also contributed on my fav. songs from that album, so I vote him.

Who is better, on every area. So better song-writing, live performance.. etc.

Battle away!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.06.2006 - 05:07
MetalSpider
Waters is a good guitar player but not a very good songwriter imo. Loomis is an awesome guitar player and he writes great songs...especially on This Godless Endeavor. His technique is great.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
15.06.2006 - 12:04
Daniel
I think Jeff joomis,speedy,more so clean,he is extemely good on 'This Godless Endeavor',but Waters deserves much respect.both awesome guitarists on the whole:banger:
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
15.06.2006 - 15:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Thanks for replying. I agree with you, Jeff Waters is surely good, but not in songwriting, IMO.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.06.2006 - 17:58
Daru Jericho
So many people talk about Waters and I do love Annihilator (especially the early stuff) but Loomis is amazing. His work on all the Nevermore albums is classy. Additionally, on This Godless Endeavour he puts emotion in his guitaring as well. Ah, he's one of my favourite gutiarists. I think he's much better than Waters.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

16.06.2006 - 05:58
Masque Of Death
Account deleted
Ya Ya, Loomis is one amazing guitarist, and lyricist, but who really cares all that much about the lyrics. I mean some of the CoB lyrics are kinda dumb, but they are stiil the best band in the world. When it comes to guitar work Waters would blow Loomis out of the water.
16.06.2006 - 06:17
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
This isn't fair Nervel, it just isn't. Mr. Jeff Waters is one hell of a guitar player. He knows how to create those wicked Thrash licks that we love so much, and in every song. I am no big technical fiend either, but he has talent, and a ton of it. I haven't even heard a majority of Annihilator's music and I enjoy him anyways. I loved 'Alice in Hell' and the short other bits I have heard from their albums are all great too.

On the other hand, we have Mr. Loomis. I was fortunate enough to experience this man play live and wow, he sure can shred. Other than that, his riffs, his solos, and just his all around talent are fantastic. It's hard, it really is.

By the way, both men are excellent song writers, in my opinion. I will have to think this one over. Great poll.
----
The force will be with you, always.
16.06.2006 - 07:23
Alastor Scourge
Account deleted
I like more the work of Jeff Waters, it has the talent, and something i-can't-describe that is so amazing, Alice in Hell is one of my favorite Annihilator works.

Jeff Loomis, i've seen live videos, and is great, about the musical composition, Nevermore is interesting, but still i like more Annihilator ...
16.06.2006 - 14:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@C-Dub. Thanks

Well, thank you for replying I'm glad that my favorite (Loomis) is winning.
----

17.06.2006 - 19:38
Man Or Ash
Account deleted
Jeff Loomis
17.06.2006 - 20:46
Stigmatized
Now I'm curious about Jeff Waters....Anyone recommend an Annihilator album?
18.06.2006 - 04:15
Daru Jericho
Written by Stigmatized on 17.06.2006 at 20:46

Alice In Hell is my favourite Annihilator album. Check it out.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

18.06.2006 - 04:19
Stigmatized
Written by Daru Jericho on 18.06.2006 at 04:15

Many thanks.
18.06.2006 - 11:13
rebelos
Account deleted
as everybody said
Waters is an awesome guitar player
Loomis is awesome too but he is an amazing songwriter too
and wehn i saw live Nevermore he didn't do any mistakes!!

so i'll go for Loomis
24.06.2006 - 21:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@rebelos.

Thank you for voting. I'd love to see Nevermore live one day.
----

25.06.2006 - 00:43
Stigmatized
Written by Stigmatized on 18.06.2006 at 04:19

Written by Daru Jericho on 18.06.2006 at 04:15

After listening to this and then listening to TGE, I have to go with Jeff Loomis. He just seems to be a better overall player to me.
Many thanks.

26.06.2006 - 11:39
rebelos
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 24.06.2006 at 21:25

@rebelos.

Thank you for voting. I'd love to see Nevermore live one day.

T-H-E-Y K-I-C-K A-S-H!!!

i love them veeeeeeeery much
and it was the best live i've ever seen!
so passion and power by the whole band...
dude... no words can describe this show...

i wish you to see them
don't loose the chance
it's one a lifetime
27.06.2006 - 06:58
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I've decided on Loomis. I am much more dedicated to Nevermore than to Annihilator. Loomis' guitar work is just staggering, I love it. Of course, all respect to Jeff Waters, the man is a monster also. Loomis for me.
----
The force will be with you, always.
28.06.2006 - 00:27
Endoftherainbow
I think Jeff Loomis is a much better guitar player then Jeff Waters. I like Annihilator alot especially the album Alice In Hell but Nevermore is so much better there is so much more emotion in their songs. I prefer the riffs of Loomis even at soloing I prefer Loomis his technique is awsome and there's alot more feeling to his solos. I don't think there is really even a comparison here between them. I've seen Nevermore live and they were amazing but I haven't seen Annihilator live although I would if I got the chance so I can't say who's better live but I know Loomis' shredding live was amazing and he played the songs almost flawlessly.
28.06.2006 - 01:30
SilentScream
Blasphemer
To be honest with you, I never really noticed that Jeff Loomis was such a good guitarist. There is also the fact that I am a bigger fan of Annihilator then I am of Nevermore, therefore I have heard more Annihilator. Anyway, that's why I am going to vote for Watters.

Come on, his solos on the first albums is just awesome.
28.06.2006 - 09:46
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
But what about the solo's on This Godless Endeavor? I find that one of the best releases ever, every aspect of that album is genious. His solo's too.

But, each to his own. Glad Loomis is winning though.
----

28.06.2006 - 18:47
rebelos
Account deleted
Loomis solos have passion and feeling!
something that's missing from Watters solos...
because he is palying fast and dissicult it doesn't mean he is sooooo good!
he is amazing! his technic is magnificant!
but Loomis is a better songwritter...
and his solos are truly amazing
30.06.2006 - 02:00
nick35
Account deleted
jeff water all the way
01.07.2006 - 15:39
X-FrEaK
to be honest i dont know Annihilator so i voted for Jeff Loomis of course...

anyway...in the "Who is the best Guitarrist Thread" Jeff Loomis wasnt there and i "voted" for him...

one such who listens to "This Godless Endeavor" is forever cursed by Loomis' riffs, those solos...oh god...just listen to final product solo..it starts on 2:34 and goes to 2:25 more or less...oh god...the harmony...the power...the perfection...

Jeff Loomis is my favorite guitar player!
----
02.07.2006 - 14:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@X-FrEaK.

Man, you should check him out. I don't really like him, but you cannot deny that he is a good Thrash-Guitarist.

But yeah, Loomis is god.
----

24.07.2006 - 04:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I read this thread the day it was made and I couldn't make up my mind until now. I think Jeff Loomis is better because of the technicality and the crazy solos. Jeff Waters basically is the driving force behind Annihilator and I almost voted for him, but in the end I think Loomis is better.

I'm about to go to a Nevermore concert next month and I have the opportunity of being there when they film their DVD. Plus, it's at a ridiculously small club so that makes it even better.
28.07.2006 - 03:56
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 15.06.2006 at 15:54

Thanks for replying. I agree with you, Jeff Waters is surely good, but not in songwriting, IMO.

Annihilator's Alice In Hell beats any other work that Nevermore or Sanctuary had released before. And all the songs there are by Jeff Waters. At guitarist skills, I still consider Waters to be best, after all Annihilator was Technical Thrash metal. But, in songwriting, I can't think of a better songwriter than Waters.

When it comes to thrash metal, and you mention Annihilator, who the hell are Nevermore?

BTW, was this poll created because they're both named Jeff ?
28.07.2006 - 11:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Nah, not really.

But, I don't agree with you. I do not like Annihilator song's at all, so that's why I do not think he is a better songwriter. And you can't just forget about This Godless Endeavor, dude. That one is kick ass.
----

28.07.2006 - 23:47
Pyro
Account deleted
Nevermore is not a bad band at all, and what I've heard of This Godless Endeavor, is not bad either, but doesn't appeal to me very much.

But as I said before, when it comes to THRASH metal bands, who the hell are Nevermore.

Now, if you excuse me, Thrash n' Bash radio is playing my request, Surf Nicaragua by Sacred Reich. I'll come back later.
06.08.2006 - 04:54
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Loomis is the new guitar hero. His work with Nevermore is awesome, he is an amazing songwriter and he is one of the best shredders in the world. Watters is a really good guitarist but Loomis is way better than him. Listen to Nevermore second album, Politics Of Ecstasy which is Nevermore most technical moment and you'll know what i am talking about.