Metal Storm logo
70's Proto-Metal Guitar Battle

Poll

Which is the most influencial guitarist out of these?

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)(Rainbow)
Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
Jimmy Page (The Yardbirds)(Led Zeppelin)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
Angus Young (AC/DC)
Eric Clapton (The Yardbirds)(Cream)
Mick Box (Uriah Heep)
Leslie West (Mountain)

Total votes: 36
30.04.2008 - 15:47
Hangar XVIII
All of these bands were highly influencial to the developement is heavy metal, who had the most influencial guitarist?

I go with Ritchie Blackmore, since he was the first to use many classical themes in his guitar work, and has written some of the heaviest guitar riffs out there. (Pictures of Home, Man On The Silver Mountain, Stargazer, etc.)
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
30.04.2008 - 19:57
Hamird
Lieutenant
i've voted for Jimmy Page because i like his style of playing guitar. he's creative and so talented.
30.04.2008 - 20:33
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Wow, this is a good poll. Thank you so much Hanger for making it. They are all amazing musicians and all highly respected. Leslie West has always been one of my personal favorites with his innovative playing. His work in Mountain was so overdriven it is sad that more people don't know his name. He also was part of a side project "West, Bruce and Lang" where he show a lot of skill. Alex Lifeson is another under-rated musician as most people focus on Geddy and Neil and tend to ignore him. Alex is one mind blowing guitarist and writer. With Clapton, he does not rank high on my list of best players, mostly due to his lack of good writing and original material, but his tone is far better than anyone I have ever heard.

But my vote goes for Jimmy Page. While Hendrix did more "experimentation", Page's innovations were more applicable. More people copied what he did, and still copy him today. He really reworked the guitar from just being a lead instrument into being center piece of musical achievement. Page incorporated so many different styles and sounds it still amazes me to hear the variety on Physical Graffiti. Page took the guitar solo to new hights and made it more than just the pinical of a song. Couple that with some sick rhythm playing and Page wins my vote.
----
(space for rent)
30.04.2008 - 21:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
the only two i haven't heard in that list are mountain and rush's guitarists. my personal favourite is Ritchie Blackmore, for his great riffs and real badass solos, but Jimi Hendrix must take the cake for his incredible innovation, and for his unique touch he adds to the music(all the while being incredibly technical). he just sounds like no-one else!
30.04.2008 - 21:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good and hard
I wont wite

Jimi Page are good guitarista nd I like his work and early Led Zeppelin are awsome, firts 4 albums , pure amsterpiece, and his guitar play are awsome pure, simple, like simple dance
Havnt hear The yarbirds so much

R. Blackmore - I love realy Deep Purple, early works and albums when thay was in roots also Rainbow but I can not forgive him taht he fired Dio and comercised Rainbow

Jimi Hendrix - Realy greta guitarist and vocalist only one in lsit who sings all the way, and i realy love this kind a bluesy sound of music, one of best guitarist ever and also one of unhapyest in life
Jimi was GOD

Tomy Iommi - One who play whit left hand and also one ofg talantesta nd best guitarist ewer, maybe one of best who rise from nothing till top, hard child hood in Bimrinhham and nowdays glory, I like his styale how he's playing

Alex Lefeson - Guitar master, much much beter how Yngwie but soemhow his indivudual work isnt so mentioned in media nowdays how abnd RUSH

Mick Box - I know werry litle Uriah Heep so can not tell much

Leslie West - I know only one Mountain song

Angus - alcoholic, neve rhad finished school, from rainy cloudy scotland till sunny australia , what a story and his type of playing hehhe yeah he never will finish school

Eric - he sucks I prefere only Cream days

You forgot Garry Moore, Hawkwind guitarist too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2008 - 22:49
totaliteraliter
Page and Hendrix are maybe the most influential in general, with Clapton and Blackmore not too far behind. But if we're talking about the most influential to metal, then Iommi is the answer. He defined the metal riffing style.
01.05.2008 - 01:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm going with Toni Iommi. He invented doom, and metal in general.
01.05.2008 - 02:18
Hangar XVIII
Written by Bad English on 30.04.2008 at 21:25

You forgot Garry Moore, Hawkwind guitarist too

Oh phooey.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
01.05.2008 - 20:30
marillionfan
Account deleted
Great poll; it's almost impossible to choose, I'm stuck between Page, Blackmore and Iommi, but as the question is who is the most influential, I think Blackmore is the one with Iommi as close second. Page is my favourite guitarist from the list and i think Lifeson is the most skilled, yet not the most influential.

K7: Clapton sucks?? that's a silly statement, don't say he sucks just because you don't like his work, it's not the same thing.
01.05.2008 - 21:42
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I voted for Jimi Hendrix although he was dead by the time 70ies started... He simply was the most influential guitarist of his time, and that continues even today... Before him, that was Eric Clapton, who was considered THE guitarist, and was influence even to Hendrix...
Also, from the list, Richie Blackmoore and Jimmi Page were/are pretty influential, the others more or less unimportant...
----
01.05.2008 - 23:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Angus - alcoholic, neve rhad finished school, from rainy cloudy scotland till sunny australia , what a story and his type of playing hehhe yeah he never will finish school

Since when is Angus an alcoholic? Just because someone is originally Scottish means he is an alcoholic. I don't know if he drinks nowadays but when he started playing with AC/DC he didn't drink at all. So I really don't understand why you call him an alcoholic. The ONLY member of AC/DC that one might have considered and alcoholic was Bon Scott, but he is dead.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.05.2008 - 23:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.05.2008 at 23:30

The ONLY member of AC/DC that one might have considered and alcoholic was Bon Scott, but he is dead.

...because he was an alcoholic.
----
(space for rent)
01.05.2008 - 23:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 01.05.2008 at 23:41

The ONLY member of AC/DC that one might have considered and alcoholic was Bon Scott, but he is dead.

...because he was an alcoholic.

Some would say Bon was an alcoholic others would say he wasn't
But judging form the stories about Bon in the AC/DC Maximum Rock & Roll biography I would say he was. But it is an urban myth that he choked on his own vomit. No vomit whatsoever was ever encountered in the car he died in.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.05.2008 - 23:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Since when is Angus an alcoholic? Just because someone is originally Scottish means he is an alcoholic. I don't know if he drinks nowadays but when he started playing with AC/DC he didn't drink at all. So I really don't understand why you call him an alcoholic. The ONLY member of AC/DC that one might have considered and alcoholic was Bon Scott, but he is dead.

But he drunk in 80ties I saw 'behind of music' about Ac/Dc and in 80ties he drunk a lot of and even there in movie he had Bell's whisky but I dont kno nowdays
Well Lemmy still drinks , and if you had your limit all life its good
But he is exelent Guitarist, this band never change
----

02.05.2008 - 00:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 01.05.2008 at 23:57

But he drunk in 80ties I saw 'behind of music' about Ac/Dc and in 80ties he drunk a lot of and even there in movie he had Bell's whisky

I also drink a lot, but that doesn't mean I am an alcoholic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.05.2008 - 00:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.05.2008 at 00:03

I also drink a lot, but that doesn't mean I am an alcoholic.

Me to, but about Angus I shood say ''alcoholic'' or better musican who likes drink sometimes
Woundering if Neil Young drinks in nowdays?
----

02.05.2008 - 01:08
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, because Iommi sort of invented metal (Not single handedly, other members of Sabbath also had a hand, but he was the most responsible for it) then I vote for him. I don't really think you could call him prot-metal though, seeing as how, well, he IS metal, not a predecessor to it. If I had to vote for someone other than Iommi, I would probably vote for Ritchie Blackmore or Jimmi Page.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
02.05.2008 - 18:50
Demonmayonnaise
I voted of Alex Lifeson. He is an amazing guitarists. Hes very underrated as far as his talent goes.
03.05.2008 - 12:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Hendrix for sure. he was the inventor!
28.08.2008 - 15:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i should have voted for Ritchie Blackmore, Hendrix might be one of the best guitarists in history but this guy made some incredible music(Kill the King sounds like an 80s song ffs) i might say that he is the most influential guitarist of modern times(post 60's), he basically invented badass riffs and dual solo's with Jon Lord, took prog rock and simplified it(smoke on the water anyone?) and helped create extraordinary music with awesome arabic(Stargazer) and medieval(16th Century Greensleeves) influences. also his ballads are among the best slowish stuff i've ever heard(Child in Time, Rainbow Eyes, Catch the Rainbow, Soldier of Fortune)
28.08.2008 - 15:34
Elio
Red Nightmare
Wow It's almost impossible to vote, so I won't but, hell, these guys are gods.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.08.2008 - 18:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Oh come on, how I am suppose to vote here?
What I can say is this, if someone had a gun pointed at my brain and my life depended on it, I would answer Jimmy Paige.

But only in that occasion.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.08.2008 - 19:17
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
La Villa Strangiato - greatest song ever?

Lifeson!!!
28.08.2008 - 19:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Actually for a short period of time I believe it was Malcolm Young who became an alcoholic because he felt extreme guilt after an audience member got crushed to death at one of their shows, and they had to keep playing or else there would have been a big riot on there hands, but he overcame his addiction. Angus only drinks tea according to Lonn Friend, even when hes at bars with friends...I know Lonn Friend is full of shit but I wouldn't see the point in bullshitting about something like that. As for the rest of them, there probably just normal guys who like to have a few beers every now and then.

As for my vote, I voted Iommi, his riffs are just far too heavy, and after seeing him perform live twice, there's some weird presence about him on the stage, he does'nt move around much, but hes got stage presence.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.08.2008 - 19:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 28.08.2008 at 19:40

Actually for a short period of time I believe it was Malcolm Young who became an alcoholic because he felt extreme guilt after an audience member got crushed to death at one of their shows, and they had to keep playing or else there would have been a big riot on there hands, but he overcame his addiction. Angus only drinks tea according to Lonn Friend, even when hes at bars with friends...I know Lonn Friend is full of shit but I wouldn't see the point in bullshitting about something like that. As for the rest of them, there probably just normal guys who like to have a few beers every now and then.

Yeah Malcolm was an alcoholic and, like you said, Angus only drinks tea. Both things are mentioned in their biography as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2008 - 19:50
Abattoir
Staff
Ok, I voted for Angus Youny. I just like watching him playing the most...and for me he is just the best from above mentioned guitarists.
Although of course, all of them are pretty damn good guitar players...no doubt about that
28.08.2008 - 21:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.08.2008 at 19:17

La Villa Strangiato - greatest song ever?

Lifeson!!!

that shit's awesome, it's been a while since i saw someone with such feeling. and he's one of the more technical guys on this poll
28.08.2008 - 23:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
I really don't know. My personal favourite is by far Alex Lifeson. Artists of Progressive music often rely to much on their skills than feeling. But Lifeson manages to combine these two in a great way. But I guess Page and Young are the most important for most Metal artists out there.
----
16.05.2011 - 21:00
Ghostdancer
Tony Iommi. Heavy gloom and doom riffs...and it just sounded so good.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
26.05.2011 - 01:38
king_matt
Both Iommi and Page were legends, but I went with Iommi because he was more influential in metal.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt