Metal Storm logo
Favorite Bassist?

04.08.2006 - 07:15
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Greg Christian of Testament would be one of my favorites (fast fucker)
then comes Stephan Fimmers of Necrophagist
Cliff Burton..

my top 3..
04.08.2006 - 07:25
Endoftherainbow
I can't pick just one favorite bass player so I'm going to make a list of all of my favorites and explain why I like them.
Les Claypool - Great style and writes some really crazy songs in all of his projects.
Steve DiGiorgio - Fretless bass master.
Justin Chancellor - Really unique style of playing bass.
Steve Harris - Got me into playing bass.
Michael LePond - Writes really cool bass solos.

Other favorites of mine that I don't feel like going into detail right now about Geezer Butler, Victor Wooten, Jaco, Martin Mendez, and Geddy Lee.
04.08.2006 - 07:40
Wo0dy
Account deleted
yeah Steve DiGiorgio pwns.. he was great when he played for Death..
04.08.2006 - 08:36
Endoftherainbow
Written by [user id=14951] on 04.08.2006 at 07:40

Yeah he was great with Death but my favorite effort from him in on the album Defiant Imagination by a band called Quo Vadis there is some of the best bass on that album ever if you don't know that album you should check it out especially if you like Death.
04.08.2006 - 08:46
Mega-Slayer
Cliff Burton-obviously,no one can play quite the same.
Johnny Lee Middleton-He plays some great riffs.
Steve Digorio-I agree on this choice,I saw him play live(on youtube),wow very fast.
Tony Choy-Excellent work on "Testimony Of The Ancients".
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
04.08.2006 - 09:07
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I would have to agree that Steve DiGiorgio is a madman. I loved his work on Control Denied's 'The Fragile Art of Existence.' I have only heard a few songs from his work in Quo Vadis but it is of course wicked. Of course all his work is worthy of mention. He is so very talented and imaginative, great stuff.
----
The force will be with you, always.
04.08.2006 - 18:54
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by Endoftherainbow on 04.08.2006 at 08:36

Written by [user id=14951] on 04.08.2006 at 07:40

Yeah he was great with Death but my favorite effort from him in on the album Defiant Imagination by a band called Quo Vadis there is some of the best bass on that album ever if you don't know that album you should check it out especially if you like Death.

haha Steve is like a band whore.. why was he in so many bands? he was also in Testament
04.08.2006 - 19:24
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
LAURIE PORRA!! This guy is everywhere in Finland but I fell in love with him last year when Stratovarius toured the US. Laurie did this nearly 5 minute bass solo and I almost creamed myself. I've never seen someone treat a bass like he did. With just that one rhythm instrument he created such an overwhelming piece of music! He can do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING with that instrument. Damn..

Also, I met him after the show and he is VERY nice. Of course I grilled him about the status of the new Sinergy album and state of the band in general, he was just awesome to chat with
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.08.2006 - 21:17
Endoftherainbow
I'm pretty sure Steve DiGiorgio is like a session musician because he's played with like 10 bands including Iced Earth, Sadus, Autopsy, Testament, Quo Vadis, Death, Control Denied, Dark Hall, Vintersorg, James Murphy, Dragonlord, and alot more so I'm thinking he has to have been one but I'm not sure.
04.08.2006 - 22:20
tulkas
el parcero
why hasn´t anyone named John Myung!!!!??? haven´t you seen this guy? he´s just amazing and that solo in Metrpolis is incredible, I didn´t think it was possible until I saw it live Anyway, as you can see he´s my favorite, cheers to him and to Dream Theater
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
04.08.2006 - 23:19
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Markus Groskopf (is the Law) He's the only one who can play at that speed with fingers! After him (in my own opinion) are : Billy sheenan and John Myung, also john Patitucci.
05.08.2006 - 05:44
Endoftherainbow
Oh crap I forgot all about Billy Sheehan when I made my post that guy plays the most insanely fast stuff ever. He has such a great style and his work Vai is pretty amazing. Has anybody heard his solo albums they're not that great but they really show his talent off pretty well. He also looks very odd he's like 6 feet tall and 80lbs and wears tight red leather pants he's quite the guy. I wish I was half as good as he is.
05.08.2006 - 06:48
panchowl
There's only one bassist who unites history and talent: Steve Harris is God
05.08.2006 - 16:22
Alouqua
Account deleted
Steve Harris, off course everyone love this man because he is THE best... in fact is the only one who have my attention in Iron Maiden (for some reasons I start to hate Bruce Dickinson)...
and well I like this man, but don't laugh... I don't know anything about Bassist... OK, so I also like John Paul Jones I don't know... I feel something when he play...
I respect Mr. Burton, my ex make me hear song when he play and... well I don't know how but this man is evil... with a bass
05.08.2006 - 16:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
stever harris man,he reinvented bass
also check out magnus rosen of hammerfall's bass solo.he actually got into the band solely because of that video
also,as non-metal,i like the flea from red hot chili peppers also cliff burton-he's not that pushed up front like harris,but anesthesia is a fucking landmark as far as bass guitars are concerned
05.08.2006 - 18:04
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
1.Steve DiGiorgio, his fingers are like a giant spider moving

2.Alex Webster, how many bass guitarists in death metal are playing with fingers and not with a pick

3.Martin Eric Ain, if you have seen Celtic Frost live you know what i mean

4.Jim Sheppard, because his bass guitar sounds so fucking heavy
05.08.2006 - 18:13
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
In no order:

- Steve Harris, obviously
- Cliff Burton, obviously
- Les Claypool from Primus
- Adrian Lambert, Ex DragonForce
- Fred Leclercq, new DragonForce
- Paul D'amour, Ex Tool
- Justin Chancellor, from Tool
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
06.08.2006 - 04:55
Aresius
Account deleted
Written by tulkas on 04.08.2006 at 22:20

why hasn´t anyone named John Myung!!!!??? haven´t you seen this guy? he´s just amazing and that solo in Metrpolis is incredible, I didn´t think it was possible until I saw it live Anyway, as you can see he´s my favorite, cheers to him and to Dream Theater

maybe cause hes not that good...nowdays the standards are too high...he is so overated...dont get me wrong, im not sayin he sucks, just that he is not the best...there are thousands of bass players way better than him...jazz bassists are beyond all these newbies...seriously...listen to these guys, and then tell me what do you think of them...Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius...I know you're gonna get mad at me...so nevermind

06.08.2006 - 05:37
tulkas
el parcero
john myung a newbie? yeah, sure. over 20 years playing bass not only in Dream Theater but in various side projects of different styles. Sure, jazz bassists are good, but not way better than him as you say. It´s just a different style, and comparing to see who is best is very difficult
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
06.08.2006 - 06:10
Endoftherainbow
No he's right they are way better then him they could play anything John Myung has wrote no problem and he'd have a really tough time keeping up with anyone of those bass players mentioned. Myung really is quite overrated he really hasn't done anything that innovative and special. He is quite talented though don't get me wrong he just isn't even in the same league as someone like Wooten or Jaco. As a bass player I also know you can compare their styles against each other because Dream Theater is a pretty jazz oriented band.
06.08.2006 - 07:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Steve DiGiorgio easily is the best bassist out there. I've always thought he was amazing, but when I saw him live playing in Sadus not too long ago I was completely blown away.
06.08.2006 - 22:56
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
My favorite bassist is Pete Perez from Spastic Ink...he's also been in Leatherwolf and Riot...the shit he comes with is amazing...he's very technical and progressive and blows me mind with his erractic pentatonic scale runs...another bassist that is crazy and out there and is possibly one of the best would be Lars K. Norberg from Spiral Architect...
07.08.2006 - 01:46
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)- an absolute god on the bass
Markus Grosskopf (Helloween) - underated,and quite good
Frédéric Leclercq (DragonForce,ex-Heavenly)
Chris Squire (Yes)
Mike Rutherford (Genesis)
Cliff Burton (Metallica) RIP
Billy Sheehan (ex-Mr.Big,Steve Vai [touring])
Jari Kainulainen (ex-Stratovarius)
Lori Porra (Stratovarius)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
and of course who could forget Lemmy
08.08.2006 - 04:28
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Steve Harris- Absolutely amazing! A god of bass.

Alex Webster- Fast Fingers

Steve DiGiorgio- Insane

Greg Christian- another fast one
08.08.2006 - 05:04
tattootildeath
Account deleted
steve harris, tony choy, sean malone, alex webster, john entwistle, steve digiorgio, rex brown
08.08.2006 - 05:19
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 08.08.2006 at 04:28

Steve DiGiorgio- Insane

finally someone mention greg christian lol
08.08.2006 - 11:57
LeDruide
Felipe Andreoli from Angra is quite good.
Heavy from Lullacry is not the best bassist but he's an awesome guy, especially on stage (take a look at the Fire Within live video on www.lullacry.com to see)
08.08.2006 - 17:10
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by [user id=14951] on 08.08.2006 at 05:19

Written by spirit_inblack on 08.08.2006 at 04:28

Steve DiGiorgio- Insane

finally someone mention greg christian lol

Greg Christian is a very underrated bassist.
08.08.2006 - 19:26
Dam3k
-Stuart Hamm, amazing sonority
-Billy Sheehan, just the best
-Steve Harris, fast
-Alessandro Lotta (ex-Rhapsody, Wingdom), great performance in Wingdom
-Niko del Hierro (Saratoga), great live performance
-John Myung, complex bass lines
----

09.08.2006 - 04:51
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
My Favorite Metal Bassist is Probably Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. He is incredibly Skilled Technicaly, and yet it's almost like his Bass Lines Come Naturally from his heart, Aside from the Fact that he's also extremly fast, and no pics for him, he maintains that speed with his Fingers!! Speaking of fingers, he plays with Three Of Them!!
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.