Metal Storm logo
Metal and Classic Music

11.06.2013 - 19:16
Paraffin
I dont agree with you. because music is a life styl. i mean every kind of music are making different pulses in ur heart and brain.

metal music brings you youth not make you young or something else. if you feel good and energic you can listen metal music in ur any age ofc. but if u feel so tired and old you cant listen.
11.06.2013 - 23:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have read it in ANUS and well I agree its simmilar, both music nowadays are like underground, only elite and well aducated ppl listens classical, same like metal, total outcats, rest listen radio pop
I think metal rootrs can be connected whit classical music, but not for 100% since it was jazz and blues, who criated rock n roll and then al came,we know history , so
I like classical music , so
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.06.2013 - 23:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Paraffin on 11.06.2013 at 19:16

I dont agree with you. because music is a life styl. i mean every kind of music are making different pulses in ur heart and brain.

metal music brings you youth not make you young or something else. if you feel good and energic you can listen metal music in ur any age ofc. but if u feel so tired and old you cant listen.

age is nothing to do whit years, ppl who live by the book are boring and old at 30, those who live ow life are young at 80,
die young means, we willbe young in mind, boddy dies and gets old, so mind can be saved
----

12.06.2013 - 01:18
ANGEL REAPER
Written by sentenced on 11.06.2013 at 15:41

I think metal and classic music are so similiar everybody i know who listen to metal like classic music and also generally classic music lovers like metal music i like classic music as metal
In metal music first you think there is a big chaos and complexity but then you noticed it isn't like that it is very organized some people think that for classical music too
Metal is not a young style of music is not abaout 45-50 year old i think metal's root comes from classic music
Like classic music lovers metal has elite fans
what do you think abaout it ?

i dont like classic music but i like metal ... your theory falls here ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.06.2013 - 01:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.06.2013 at 01:18

Written by sentenced on 11.06.2013 at 15:41

I think metal and classic music are so similiar everybody i know who listen to metal like classic music and also generally classic music lovers like metal music i like classic music as metal
In metal music first you think there is a big chaos and complexity but then you noticed it isn't like that it is very organized some people think that for classical music too
Metal is not a young style of music is not abaout 45-50 year old i think metal's root comes from classic music
Like classic music lovers metal has elite fans
what do you think abaout it ?

i dont like classic music but i like metal ... your theory falls here ...

Same for me. And most classical music lovers iI know absolutely hate metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.06.2013 - 03:49
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I totally agree! They are VERY similar and also attract many of the same people (though not all, of course).

The reason is: both styles are VISCERAL. Probably the most visceral styles of music I can think of. And so varied. Just as there are many, MANY styles of metal, there are that many styles of "classical" music.

I get something very similar out of both metal and classical music because both can be so damn INTENSE. Of course there is some metal that is less intense, and some classical music that is waaay boring (Mozart string quartets? Snoozefest), but I tend to seek out more dramatic music in general.

I love a dramatic Verdi opera and his grand horn sections and intense stories... people raping and murdering each other. METAL AS FUCK. Or Wagner, of course, and the uniquely dramatic Ring music. Then anything Ravel, but my favourite piece of his is, strangely enough, Daphnis et Chloe. That gets downright spooky at times. I saw it performed once with a symphony and choir and I was on the edge of my seat it was so engaging. Hahaha that never happens at the symphony... ever.

And... any metalhead looking for some intense classical music probably already has the Rite Of Spring in their playlist. Sacrificing virgins!! So kvlt and tr00, dude, hahaha \m/

So, yes, I agree 100%
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.06.2013 - 09:18
Vasil de Shumen
I love Metal and I'm a big fan of early music (XIII - XVIII c.)
12.06.2013 - 12:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 12.06.2013 at 03:49

I totally agree! They are VERY similar and also attract many of the same people (though not all, of course).

The reason is: both styles are VISCERAL. Probably the most visceral styles of music I can think of. And so varied. Just as there are many, MANY styles of metal, there are that many styles of "classical" music.

I get something very similar out of both metal and classical music because both can be so damn INTENSE. Of course there is some metal that is less intense, and some classical music that is waaay boring (Mozart string quartets? Snoozefest), but I tend to seek out more dramatic music in general.

I love a dramatic Verdi opera and his grand horn sections and intense stories... people raping and murdering each other. METAL AS FUCK. Or Wagner, of course, and the uniquely dramatic Ring music. Then anything Ravel, but my favourite piece of his is, strangely enough, Daphnis et Chloe. That gets downright spooky at times. I saw it performed once with a symphony and choir and I was on the edge of my seat it was so engaging. Hahaha that never happens at the symphony... ever.

And... any metalhead looking for some intense classical music probably already has the Rite Of Spring in their playlist. Sacrificing virgins!! So kvlt and tr00, dude, hahaha \m/

So, yes, I agree 100%

Good post and besides metal and classicam music is way to piss ppl of on wild and polite way
Try ordinary radio pop listener and put classical music on, he will be pissed of hehehehhehe

and I agree whit your statement about it, I also prefere classical music sometimes
----

12.06.2013 - 13:34
ANGEL REAPER
Written by sentenced on 12.06.2013 at 11:07

İ didn't say all metal lovers certainly like classical music i said generally metal listeners i know like classic music

that means that you are within group of people who like metal music and classical music but that is narrow ground to make a more general observation ... that is way why wrote my previous objection
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.06.2013 - 23:10
Vasil de Shumen
I think Beethoven, Wagner and Mussorgsky are metal composers, while the music of Led Zeppelin and Rush has nothing to do with metal (hard rock - yes, prog rock - yes, but metal - definitely NOT).
12.06.2013 - 23:59
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 12.06.2013 at 23:10

I think Beethoven, Wagner and Mussorgsky are metal composers

I could agree with this! I mean... Bach basically invented jazz so why not put some of that brutal, intense late period Beethoven in with metal? Love it.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
13.06.2013 - 00:33
Vasil de Shumen
Written by Susan on 12.06.2013 at 23:59

I could agree with this! I mean... Bach basically invented jazz so why not put some of that brutal, intense late period Beethoven in with metal? Love it.

Bach is my favorite composer, but he is too contemplative and bemused to be metal composer. The passion in his music is strong, but contained, which isn't typical for the metal spirit ...
13.06.2013 - 03:28
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 13.06.2013 at 00:33

Written by Susan on 12.06.2013 at 23:59

Bach is my favorite composer, but he is too contemplative and bemused to be metal composer. The passion in his music is strong, but contained, which isn't typical for the metal spirit ...

Who said Bach was metal He was one jazzy dude
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
13.06.2013 - 06:00
theembryo
Great thread, this - for example, Randy Rhodes studied very much Classical music. Classical and rock styles seem to go together in general quite well. As evidenced by Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "Pictures at an Exhibition", Metallica's S & M, Symymphonic Yes, even back to Pink Floyd in like, '71 performing "Atom heart Mother", with symphonies from the various cities they visited.

Valid points all posted here, Bravo!
17.06.2013 - 19:42
Akula
Blues + Classical = Metal
18.06.2013 - 01:14
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Akula on 17.06.2013 at 19:42

Blues + Classical = Metal

...And how on earth did you come up with that logic?
18.06.2013 - 01:42
IronAngel
This is just something people like to say to bolster their identity. Classical music has an established status as "high culture" and "art music" (something which I would contest in the modern world), and so I see claims like the OP's as a deliberate or subconscious strategy to legitimate metal by its supposed affinity to classical music. By appealing to the close resemblance of the two genres (which is not that well-founded on musicological facts alone, I think), you are effectively saying that metal is "just as good" as classical and laying a claim to that status as high culture.

I don't think that's a very credible strategy. If we accepted that classical music had such a status, it wouldn't be so easily transferred on metal. Metal, on average, is a rather straightforward genre of music with few structural similarities to classical music. You couldn't properly analyze a metal song with the same theoretical apparatus you would apply to a concerto. But the big problem is the assumption of hierarchical value to begin with: classical music as a genre is not better or more artistically legitimate than country, soul, j-pop, krautrock or sea shanties. Not simply by virtue of being "classial", anyway. Trying to look for a connection like this (something almost certainly motivated by a conscious or subconcious desire to feel better about the genre) is misguided and implies an arrogant conception of genre hierarchy.

That's my take on it, anyway!
18.06.2013 - 02:41
Bulletdodger
I'm listening to classical music more and more, love it so far.

I think Beethoven, Wagner and Mussorgsky are metal composers, while the music of Led Zeppelin and Rush has nothing to do with metal (hard rock - yes, prog rock - yes, but metal - definitely NOT).

Nice observation, especially the mentioning of Led Zeppelin and Rush, I get pretty much the same "feels" from listening to 2112 like I get from listening to classical music.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
19.06.2013 - 03:15
Jtbmetal123
I can agree with you. Metal grew from other genres of music.
25.06.2013 - 21:41
ANGEL REAPER
Written by IronAngel on 18.06.2013 at 01:42

This is just something people like to say to bolster their identity. Classical music has an established status as "high culture" and "art music" (something which I would contest in the modern world), and so I see claims like the OP's as a deliberate or subconscious strategy to legitimate metal by its supposed affinity to classical music. By appealing to the close resemblance of the two genres (which is not that well-founded on musicological facts alone, I think), you are effectively saying that metal is "just as good" as classical and laying a claim to that status as high culture.

I don't think that's a very credible strategy. If we accepted that classical music had such a status, it wouldn't be so easily transferred on metal. Metal, on average, is a rather straightforward genre of music with few structural similarities to classical music. You couldn't properly analyze a metal song with the same theoretical apparatus you would apply to a concerto. But the big problem is the assumption of hierarchical value to begin with: classical music as a genre is not better or more artistically legitimate than country, soul, j-pop, krautrock or sea shanties. Not simply by virtue of being "classial", anyway. Trying to look for a connection like this (something almost certainly motivated by a conscious or subconcious desire to feel better about the genre) is misguided and implies an arrogant conception of genre hierarchy.

That's my take on it, anyway!

i was thinking about the same thing too...
----
26.06.2013 - 16:46
Thrashette
Just to be sure we're all on the same page, by "classical", do you mean all western art music or specifically music of the Classical period? I'm assuming you meant the former, since I'm seeing composers of the Romantic period being mentioned here.
It's true that a lot of metalheads will appreciate and respect classical music, if not enjoy it, and that many metal bands are influenced by it. But there's a lot of metalheads who listen to metal just for the aggression and the image, not because they're intellectuals who appreciate the finer things in life. As for myself, I don't really go out of my way to listen to classical music, but I've studied music history and played some of it so I do have more knowledge and appreciation for it than the average person. And if I'm stuck listening to the radio, I always choose to listen to the classical music station rather than top 40, radio rock, or even some station playing the over-rated new singles from popular metal/metalcore bands.
29.06.2013 - 17:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Thrashette on 26.06.2013 at 16:46

Just to be sure we're all on the same page, by "classical", do you mean all western art music or specifically music of the Classical period? I'm assuming you meant the former, since I'm seeing composers of the Romantic period being mentioned here.
It's true that a lot of metalheads will appreciate and respect classical music, if not enjoy it, and that many metal bands are influenced by it. But there's a lot of metalheads who listen to metal just for the aggression and the image, not because they're intellectuals who appreciate the finer things in life. As for myself, I don't really go out of my way to listen to classical music, but I've studied music history and played some of it so I do have more knowledge and appreciation for it than the average person. And if I'm stuck listening to the radio, I always choose to listen to the classical music station rather than top 40, radio rock, or even some station playing the over-rated new singles from popular metal/metalcore bands.

nowadays who can tell diferences between classical, barq, romantic and other periods
----

29.06.2013 - 19:06
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Bad English on 29.06.2013 at 17:36

nowadays who can tell diferences between classical, barq, romantic and other periods

Lots of people.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
29.06.2013 - 19:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 29.06.2013 at 19:06

Written by Bad English on 29.06.2013 at 17:36

Lots of people.

I can because I studiet in school, I can tell pretty good diferences, but c mon, nowadays kids dont know that potatos grow under soil, and they think Iceland moss is a weed what grows in iceland and you rull it and smoke
----

12.07.2013 - 01:18
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
My feelings on this matter are very similar to the what Thrashette and Iron Angel have said. Sure, there's a decent number of people who like both metal and classical-type music, myself included, but that doesn't mean that liking metal means you'd probably like classical, or vice-versa. There's also a great many number of lovers of the classical music who think that metal is too noisy and a ton of metalheads that think classical is too slow, quiet, and/or boring. Trying to make this connection just seems to be a subconscious attempt at making metal seem more special.
----
12.07.2013 - 06:57
Malphas
I feel like i should leave this here

article

and this is the song they are actually talking about, they put the wrong one in the article lol

----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
13.07.2013 - 05:37
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Malphas on 12.07.2013 at 06:57

I feel like i should leave this here

article

That may be because progressive rock/metal has a little bit more in common with classical than your standard metal genres. Much of prog is inspired by not only rock or metal, but also by jazz and classical music as well.
----
06.10.2014 - 04:36
Creativinity
I was always the weird one at school and with my family for listening to classical music, instead of whatever was on the radio. When I discovered a lot of metal bands have the same affinity for classical music, it was a match made in heaven. The challenges, beauty, and intricacies of being able to listen to and play classical music, apply to metal, as well.
06.10.2014 - 09:38
Ganondox
Interestingly enough, studies have shown that metalheads and fans of classical music tend to have very similar Big 5 personalities, the main difference being on neuroticism, where metalheads were likely to be neurotic, while classical fans emotionally stable, and outside of those scores the largest difference was merely the age difference, classical fans were older. Of all the different groups, they were the most similar.

Anyway, metal has similarities to classical music, especially certain subgenres, and it takes more from classical music than most popular genres, but at the roots metal is "pop music", and classical is "art music". I saw an article once where a metalhead explained all the ways metal was different than classical music and how classical music was superior in terms of complexity, but I can't seem to find it.
07.10.2014 - 06:28
Ganondox
Written by deadone on 07.10.2014 at 01:45

Written by Ganondox on 06.10.2014 at 09:38

Anyway, metal has similarities to classical music, especially certain subgenres, and it takes more from classical music than most popular genres, but at the roots metal is "pop music", and classical is "art music".

Classical was originally popular music i.e. popular music for Europe's aristocracy.

Classical music was never considered popular music, even when it was popular among aristocracy. That is exactly what made it art music back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music