Metal Storm logo
Ensiferum

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 18.05.2006 - 03:59
Here is the new topic for the new forum. The DVD is due out in June and the new album is supposedly set for a February 2007 release. Enjoy!
03.09.2009 - 15:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"Battle Song" and "Into Battle" are good, but "Victory Song" is much more epic imo

and btw - whats wrong with Calgary?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

03.09.2009 - 16:16
VPeter
Gave the new album a listen and it's just what I expected it to be... Average with just 3 good songs just like every other album they made. If it wins the MS 2009 awards I will lose all faith in humanity.
03.09.2009 - 21:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I suppose this is called "the voice of majority"...learn to live with unless you wanna became a dictator with power to say which music should win awards and which cannot...or you will have to convince enough people to create majority with you
----

03.09.2009 - 22:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 03.09.2009 at 15:07

and btw - whats wrong with Calgary?

Inside joke. I got into an argument with a fellow Canadian in the shoutbox, and he tried insulting me by saying "Your from Calgary, how can I take you seriously?". Theres actually a lot thats wrong with Calgary, but nothing that would be too relevant in a metal discussion.

And I agree about Victory Song, I find the build up to probably be the best thing they've done so far...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.09.2009 - 20:36
FeskarN
New video online now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALrjjJdmxgA Well, its epic landscape, effects, the vikings etc. but they arent moving at all. Looks really boring, just Petri with his fists. The video would be so much better if they were headbanging and playing their intruments. But I'm in love with this song. Looking forward to the album so much.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
04.09.2009 - 21:44
Fhuesc
Written by FeskarN on 04.09.2009 at 20:36

New video online now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALrjjJdmxgA Well, its epic landscape, effects, the vikings etc. but they arent moving at all. Looks really boring, just Petri with his fists. The video would be so much better if they were headbanging and playing their intruments. But I'm in love with this song. Looking forward to the album so much.

On the contrary i like the videos where the band isn't pretending to play their instruments, if wanted to the see band playing i would watch live videos. But i agree that standing there is kinda silly. Also i was expecting some cheesy/cheap lighting battle at the end, but lucky it didn't happen.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
04.09.2009 - 23:56
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I find the video quite nice...and of course the song rocks off everything
----

05.09.2009 - 01:32
MetalSpider
I actually like this video. I think if they actually did play their instruments and were head banging in this video, the video would be ruined.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
05.09.2009 - 02:57
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really liked it. when the dead dudes came out I was like FUCK!!!!!!!, you know the gut feeling, specially when it looks like you're getting surrounded man I felt like i was going to get fucked up and I was really reassured when Petri dogged them I know shit went down afterwards I wish I could have seen the smirkish though, anyway I'm gonna go celebrate what was surely a victory for ours heroes Ensiferum
06.09.2009 - 18:57
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Hmm i was pleasantly surprised when I heard the album....the start to the song "From Afar" blew me away sounded like Wintersun meets Bal-Sagoth lol Very impressed with the MUSIC, yet Im not convinced by Petri on vocals. He doesnt have the flexible vocals that the band needs, and the lyrics are very predictable. So im in two minds....good music, better than Victory songs and somewhat reminds me of the earlier albums yet to me vocals are extremely important and until Petri does something drastic about his singing I wont be regarding Ensiferum as highly as I used to.
16.09.2009 - 00:05
Janne
Hugin
Okay it seems that I fell in love with the new album I must listen to it every day twice. it's so fucking great! my favourite song is The Longest Journey atm.
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
16.09.2009 - 00:08
Mahler
My favorite album was dragonheads until i heard from from afar, it blew me away, especially "Tumman Virran Taa," it reminded me of tyr's "Turið Torkilsdóttir." I've been searching for more songs sung that way, does anyone know any other good songs like those two?
16.09.2009 - 00:14
Janne
Hugin
Written by Mahler on 16.09.2009 at 00:08

My favorite album was dragonheads until i heard from from afar, it blew me away, especially "Tumman Virran Taa," it reminded me of tyr's "Turið Torkilsdóttir." I've been searching for more songs sung that way, does anyone know any other good songs like those two?

yeah there are some more songs like those ones from tyr
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
16.09.2009 - 00:24
Mahler
Written by Janne on 16.09.2009 at 00:14

Written by Mahler on 16.09.2009 at 00:08

yeah there are some more songs like those ones from tyr

I knows, i meant in other bands, i want to broaden my horizon, i LOVE listening and looking up new bands, that style of song is just so amazing to me for some reason, not sure why though. I normally go for complex orchestras and stuff in songs.
16.09.2009 - 22:12
Angel Of Mercy
I just discovered these guys. What's thier best album?
----
Your time will come.
16.09.2009 - 22:48
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
You might want to check the Favorite Ensiferum Album topic for some insight. But all their albums are good if you ask me.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
17.09.2009 - 00:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Newest release is missing in the poll...
----

17.09.2009 - 14:57
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 16.09.2009 at 22:12

My favorite is their last one, at the moment. But overall their first nameless album is really great.
17.09.2009 - 15:20
Angel Of Mercy
Written by [user id=37538] on 17.09.2009 at 14:57

Written by Angel Of Mercy on 16.09.2009 at 22:12

My favorite is their last one, at the moment. But overall their first nameless album is really great.

It's not on Spotify, I've been listening to "From Afar". It sounds like wintersun. Any connection?
----
Your time will come.
17.09.2009 - 15:28
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
The singer that parted with Ensiferum formed Wintersun.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
17.09.2009 - 16:40
Baz Anderson
Staff
So you found Wintersun before Ensiferum? What is the world coming to? Oh well, at least you have Ensiferum now.

Most people tend to agree their best album is the first one, "Ensiferum".
17.09.2009 - 18:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I always said their best is Victory Songs, but now i am doubting...the new album is fine and i had also got more into both older ones...probably i cant decide now, all are worth to be listened
----

17.09.2009 - 18:37
Janne
Hugin
Hahahha 'all are worth to be listened' XD lol
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.09.2009 - 18:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What is so funny about that?

should i rather wrote "you would shit in your pants from all of Ensiferum albums" or something?
----

17.09.2009 - 22:10
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 17.09.2009 at 18:55

What is so funny about that?

should i rather wrote "you would shit in your pants from all of Ensiferum albums" or something?

indeed. but at least you know what you should have said
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.09.2009 - 22:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I would say this about Summoning or Moonsorrow album...Ensiferum is still far from being that majestic
----

25.09.2009 - 15:45
iamnotananimal
Account deleted
Ok, this is my first post on this website and this is my favourite band. Just listened to "From Afar" for the first time and I'm really disappointed. Apart from "Stone Cold Metal", "Smoking Ruins" and "The Longest Journey", nothing really stood out to me.

My favourite album is probably their self-titled.
26.09.2009 - 13:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by [user id=40271] on 25.09.2009 at 15:45

i never expected to say so before, but now i would probably agree
----

05.10.2009 - 14:18
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 26.09.2009 at 13:55

Written by [user id=40271] on 25.09.2009 at 15:45

i never expected to say so before, but now i would probably agree

Yeap same here...well its a close call between the self-titled and "Iron" - and then the other albums follow FAR FAR behind.
11.10.2009 - 13:46
vapotrini
Wow!! I'm not sure what to say here. Except for the fact that I'm EXTREMELY surprised that this album is not being more widely appreciated. When I first heard 'from afar' I wasn't all that impressed, tbh. However, having given it time, I can say now with 100% confidence that a couple songs on this album are EASILY without a doubt their best work yet. Having followed them from their inception I would put 'The longest journey' and 'Heathen throne' against ANY of their previous music. I'm not talking about the garbage that was Dragon Heads and to a degree, barring 1 maybe 2 songs that was Victory Songs either... I mean against their very best (Self titled and Iron). Those 2 songs (only 2 songs yes but close to 24 mins of music which equals 5-6 songs for anyone else) are epic beyond belief! And while for my money Petri will NEVER EVER replace Yari, he does a very admirable job here. They are maturing VERY MUCH to my liking...

I dunno, maybe I'm just starving for this sort of music as I haven't heard anything even close to this lately in this genre, but with those 2 songs I WOULDN'T CHANGE A SINGLE THING! They are perfect in my eyes. LONG as hell and epic as ever!

That's the great thing about music... some people prefer Wintersun, personally... I can't stand 'em.