Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
20.05.2011 - 20:53
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=113163] on 20.05.2011 at 19:49

Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2011 at 15:47

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.05.2011 at 11:30

Guys.... what is glitch metal?

The closest I can think of would be WHOURKR (has one of the guys from Igorrr who I always go on about) good stuff.

But Glitch by itself is a derivative of breakcore/beat I would say.

Honestly its like Aphex Twin meets anaal nathrakh.

I can't get into Ambient music. Being a metal head, its way to boring.

Wow I don't like this at all
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.05.2011 - 20:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Omg that sounds horrible
20.05.2011 - 21:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ha, proving my point, soon as musicians start fucking around with structure people begin to panic, it messes with their equilibrium, expectations and basic understanding. If it was simply brutal and fast crap people would lap it up probably. I don't listen to WHOURKR very much myself, for me they veer too close to novelty rather than worthwhile music but they're quite fun to show off to your grandparents and whatnot.
20.05.2011 - 21:19
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2011 at 21:17

Ha, proving my point, soon as musicians start fucking around with structure people begin to panic, it messes with their equilibrium and expectations and basic understanding. If it was simply brutal and fast crap people would lap it up probably. I don't listen to WHOURKR very much myself, for me they're more novelty that worthwhile music but they're quite fun to show off to your grandparents and whatnot.

No man its not the structure I've seen fucked up structure its simply the style, the mood, the general aspect of it all that is repulsive to me.
I can't get into this cause I simply don't enjoy it at all... nothing in it makes me happy.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.05.2011 - 21:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 20.05.2011 at 21:19

No man its not the structure I've seen fucked up structure its simply the style, the mood, the general aspect of it all that is repulsive to me.
I can't get into this cause I simply don't enjoy it at all... nothing in it makes me happy.

They're far more spastic and wacky than typical death, tech death or even grind so that doesn't surprise me.
20.05.2011 - 21:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2011 at 21:22

Written by Guib on 20.05.2011 at 21:19

They're far more spastic and wacky than typical death, tech death or even grind so that doesn't surprise me.

what do you mean by spastic and wacky
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.05.2011 - 21:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 20.05.2011 at 21:24

what do you mean by spastic and wacky

The fact they incorporate lots of... actually just read Jup's review, he sums it up perfectly: http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=6495
20.05.2011 - 21:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

I don't listen to WHOURKR very much myself, for me they veer too close to novelty rather than worthwhile music but they're quite fun to show off to your grandparents and whatnot.

Meh, disagree. I don't see them as something to show off to people so they are impressed by your tastes or something. If there's some band you can say that it's just for the chock is stuff like Anal Cunt or Stalaggh.

I see it the other way around tbh. I don't really appreciate Igorrr comapred to WHOURKR.
I'm far more into industrial sounds than baroque stuff.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

20.05.2011 - 21:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.05.2011 at 21:42

I don't listen to WHOURKR very much myself, for me they veer too close to novelty rather than worthwhile music but they're quite fun to show off to your grandparents and whatnot.

Meh, disagree. I don't see them as something to show off to people so they are impressed by your tastes or something. If there's some band you can say that it's just for the chock is stuff like Anal Cunt or Stalaggh.

I see it the other way around tbh. I don't really appreciate Igorrr comapred to WHOURKR.
I'm far more into industrial sounds than baroque stuff.

Well WHOURKH probably fall somewhere inbetween stuff like Stalaggh (who I thought were actually ok but it's been a while since I visited them) and Anal Cunt and the super-quality shizzle of Igorrr. To be honest WHOURKR to me sounds like pretty ordinary death/grind with some breakcore/glitch bits thrown in. It's interesting for what it is but because I'm not a fan of that type of death metal, which still makes up the meat of the music, it puts me off a little. Just kinda one-trick pony. I do happen to like baroque and pretty much everything else in Igorrr which is never about brutality and whatnot, more meshing styles in a pretty organic way. I'd take WHOURKR over The Berzerker et al any day though.
20.05.2011 - 21:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2011 at 21:49

I'd take WHOURKR over The Berzerker et al any day though.

Who wouldn't?

Tastes differ but I get your point.
----

Rod, let me love you.

20.05.2011 - 22:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.05.2011 at 21:55

Who wouldn't?

WHOURKR are pretty unique though, I can't think of many bands that do what they do to that extent. Maybe The Amenta?
20.05.2011 - 22:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2011 at 22:03

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.05.2011 at 21:55

Who wouldn't?

WHOURKR are pretty unique though, I can't think of many bands that do what they do to that extent. Maybe The Amenta?

Hmm probably but still... The Amenta has way more structure and a more metal sound. They sound a bit more "normal"
n0n is still some seriously good and intense shit....
----

Rod, let me love you.

20.05.2011 - 22:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.05.2011 at 22:13

Hmm probably but still... The Amenta has way more structure and a more metal sound. They sound a bit more "normal"
n0n is still some seriously good and intense shit....

It is, but it's also incredibly dense in sound, makes me think what Blut aus Nord (or maybe The Axis of Perdition) might sound like if they made death metal. I crave stuff like that but can never find it.
21.05.2011 - 01:33
Zombie94
I'd have to say that for me, as is probably the case with most people who are relatively new to metal, black and death metal sound the most alien, abstract and just brutal in general of all the genres the first time you hear it. They're both acquired tastes and both are pretty much shunned and stereotyped immediately by the mainstream. I'm beginning to like Black Metal though. The only band I have at the moment is Mayhem, who I'll get round to listening to eventually but atm I'm kinda building my base with bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth. But come winter time, I'll be completely immersed in black metal.
23.05.2011 - 17:37
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by [user id=116405] on 19.05.2011 at 02:26

Written by [user id=114505] on 19.05.2011 at 01:36

Written by [user id=116405] on 16.05.2011 at 23:50

Death Metal. I enjoy Melodeath, but it's really hard to get into things like Cannibal Corpse.

Exactly as i though! Amon Amarth is the best band for me in the death metal and it's sub-genres, but all the genres need to be listened, so try cannibal corpse "make then suffer". I think it's the best song from the band!

Thanks man! I really like Amon Amarth, especially for their slow melodic riffs. Like in "Where Silent Gods Stand Guards". In your opinion, which is their best song??

Well, "With Oden On Our Side" is the first song i heard from AA, and it's the best song from the band for me The guitars are the best i've ever heard, too catchy.
"Where silent guards stand guards" is awesome too, but from the album "Versus the world" i vote in "thousand years of oppression" for the best
24.05.2011 - 03:02
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Written by [user id=114505] on 23.05.2011 at 17:37

Death Metal. I enjoy Melodeath, but it's really hard to get into things like Cannibal Corpse.

Exactly as i though! Amon Amarth is the best band for me in the death metal and it's sub-genres, but all the genres need to be listened, so try cannibal corpse "make then suffer". I think it's the best song from the band!

Thanks man! I really like Amon Amarth, especially for their slow melodic riffs. Like in "Where Silent Gods Stand Guards". In your opinion, which is their best song??

Well, "With Oden On Our Side" is the first song i heard from AA, and it's the best song from the band for me The guitars are the best i've ever heard, too catchy.
"Where silent guards stand guards" is awesome too, but from the album "Versus the world" i vote in "thousand years of oppression" for the best

For me, it's "Death In Fire". My second one would be "Where Silent Gods Stand Guard". Insanely great songs.
25.05.2011 - 00:11
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by [user id=116405] on 24.05.2011 at 03:02

Written by [user id=114505] on 23.05.2011 at 17:37

For me, it's "Death In Fire". My second one would be "Where Silent Gods Stand Guard". Insanely great songs.

Death In Fire... Many peoples say it's the best band song... i think it's cool, but it's too much to say the best
25.05.2011 - 00:16
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Zombie94 on 21.05.2011 at 01:33

I'd have to say that for me, as is probably the case with most people who are relatively new to metal, black and death metal sound the most alien, abstract and just brutal in general of all the genres the first time you hear it. They're both acquired tastes and both are pretty much shunned and stereotyped immediately by the mainstream. I'm beginning to like Black Metal though. The only band I have at the moment is Mayhem, who I'll get round to listening to eventually but atm I'm kinda building my base with bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth. But come winter time, I'll be completely immersed in black metal.

Two with me!! I used to think Black and Death was trash, but now i'm listening often to Bathory old albuns, and the day of the Death Metal will come soon...
25.05.2011 - 00:29
Zombie94
Written by [user id=114505] on 25.05.2011 at 00:16

Two with me!! I used to think Black and Death was trash, but now i'm listening often to Bathory old albuns, and the day of the Death Metal will come soon...

yeah I found it tough to really take black and death metal bands seriously the first few times I heard them. What Bathory album would you recommend?
25.05.2011 - 02:37
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted

Exactly. I think that the thing that the main thing that keeps metal off the mainstream is the harsh vocals, whether death growls or black shrieks. It was the same for me. I can stand, and enjoy death metal, but I never got into black metal.
25.05.2011 - 18:20
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Zombie94 on 25.05.2011 at 00:29

yeah I found it tough to really take black and death metal bands seriously the first few times I heard them. What Bathory album would you recommend?

Well, i absolutely recommend their debut album, "Bathory". You can check the review for this album in this link, it was me that write this review :

http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=9134

Well, for more black metal albuns of bathory, check "Blood Fire Death" too! Peoples say it's the best black metal album of bathory, but i still preffer "Bathory".
25.05.2011 - 20:12
Zombie94
Written by [user id=114505] on 25.05.2011 at 18:20

Well, i absolutely recommend their debut album, "Bathory". You can check the review for this album in this link, it was me that write this review :

Well, for more black metal albuns of bathory, check "Blood Fire Death" too! Peoples say it's the best black metal album of bathory, but i still preffer "Bathory".

Damn that looks like a cool album. Nice review btw. And the idea of it being produced in a garage actually sounds cool to me cheers man
25.05.2011 - 20:25
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Zombie94 on 25.05.2011 at 20:12

Written by [user id=114505] on 25.05.2011 at 18:20

Damn that looks like a cool album. Nice review btw. And the idea of it being produced in a garage actually sounds cool to me cheers man

Thanks man!
31.05.2011 - 00:30
Tetravirulence
Pure raw black metal for me like Nattens Madrigal one by Ulver, its tough to listen to such albums
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
03.06.2011 - 15:57
ANGEL REAPER
I find that indeed Black Metal is most difficult genre to get into,even more difficult than "brutal" death metal....
BTW i listen BM the most.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.07.2011 - 16:44
Death Metal 456
Account deleted
Raw BM......... Impossible to get into.
02.07.2011 - 16:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=119833] on 02.07.2011 at 16:44

Written by [user id=119833] on 02.07.2011 at 16:46

3 months..........

you know raw BM .... what asle you know about BM have you ever listened BM at all
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.07.2011 - 17:13
Death Metal 456
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.07.2011 at 16:50

3 months..........

you know raw BM .... what asle you know about BM have you ever listened BM at all

Some Emperor from their first album. It doesn't sound like music at all. It sounds like every band member is in his own world. The only thing that made sense was the symphonic sound.
02.07.2011 - 19:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=119833] on 02.07.2011 at 17:13

Written by Bad English on 02.07.2011 at 16:50

3 months..........

Some Emperor from their first album. It doesn't sound like music at all. It sounds like every band member is in his own world. The only thing that made sense was the symphonic sound.

Empereor never have played RAW BM
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.07.2011 - 20:02
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Stoner metal,
i tried my best to like it and i just couldn't
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832