Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2015

Original post

Posted by Alex F, 01.12.2014 - 19:17
I've already seen a bunch of 2015 releases being announced, and even streaming in full in some locations, so I figured I'd go ahead and create a place for those releases to be posted. To start we'll have the new Swamp Witch album The Slithering Bog. It's a sludge filled doom album that simply slays, and is streaming in its' entirety on the Swamp Witch bandcamp page. The official release date (for the physical versions) is February 20th, 2015.

24.09.2015 - 15:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Sorry Padz! I was away for a bit though so that's my excuse =P Also I have a habit of going on about something until people finally listen, so that's my secret =P

Written by Vombatus on 24.09.2015 at 14:05

Really really good! I recall listening their debut but never going back, thanks for reminding me of their existence

I was thinking about checking out the debut at some point. I suspect the sophomore might have set the bar pretty high though.
24.09.2015 - 21:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 27.06.2015 at 03:59

Drone+ post rock+ drum machine:

thisquietarmy-Anthems For Catharsis

This is really nice sounding stuff.
25.09.2015 - 12:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This is very nice. Slightly psychedelic blackened sludgeged doom. Or Psychedelicened, doomened, post metalened, sludgened black metal. Or... something like that. Or maybe none of those things. Maybe the link isn't even real and I'm just messing with you.

25.09.2015 - 15:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Can't pinpoint exactly what it is I like about this band; they aren't doing anything out of the ordinary but I'm really liking their songs, sound and melodies. Black metals. 'Angstvrees' is just such a flat out nice song to listen to.

25.09.2015 - 23:11
Skeptic
Below two of my favorite black metal releases this year (well one is a demo, but...)

First Ostara, a demo by the french Nécropole. A high-tempo black metal with melodic riffs and raw production (it's a demo after all). I like how the melodies are buried in the production/blast-beats but still come out as the main focus of their songs. And those suffering french vocals go really well with the melancholic vibe.

Second, a kinda-weird mid/high tempo black metal release by Wederganger that has been recommended in the metal subreddit a bunch of times. Really raspy vocals, varied songwriting and baritone vocals make this release really memorable. I've seen it compared to Urfaust some times, but I can't attest to that because I haven't listen to them much (I probably should fix that).

Oh, and I find the cover pretty cool as well.

26.09.2015 - 01:23
mz
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.09.2015 at 21:44

This is really nice sounding stuff.

Yeah like any other thing with drum machine
Seriously, did you go through all these pages of recommendation?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
26.09.2015 - 15:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 26.09.2015 at 01:23

Yeah like any other thing with drum machine
Seriously, did you go through all these pages of recommendation?

Nah, just skimmed through a few interesting looking ones =3
28.09.2015 - 00:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Haven't listened to much of it yet but sounds damn good from I have heard. Seems like a mixture of black, doom, sludge, post-metal, chilled out instrumental, post-rock sections etc. Loving the vocals; really deep and guttural; a little Opeth-y perhaps.

29.09.2015 - 23:55
LucaProperzi
Http://sweb1.dmit.nait.ca/~aproperzi2/edmontonDeathMetal/

Here's a site I'm working on for the Edmonton Death Metal scene, definitely some note worthy bands on it though.
02.10.2015 - 17:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Some pretty damn snazzy instrumental psychedelic, prog rock. Apparently these guys have been around since the 1970s, and have had variations incarnations, as well as doing soundtrack work, such as stuff on Suspiria etc. Can't really comment on that but this is a fine album. Spacey, even video gamey at times.

04.10.2015 - 17:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
What happens when a post-metal band absorbs blackened sludge elements. Very heavy, sometimes pretty vicious but also has that post-metally spaciousness and contemplativeness. Not bad. I don't think they've quite got the songwriting knack yet.

06.10.2015 - 03:37
Totenlieder
I'm really enjoying Tau Cross' self titled.
Really good crusty metal.
----
Blut & Krieg
06.10.2015 - 18:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Rather liking this. Really huge sounding ambient black metal track of 28 minutes, supposedly an international project between members from France, Switzerland and Belgium. What stands out the most are the vocals which are very Atilla-like, and buried nicely in the mix. Not an album for riff fans I suspect. More about subtle changes in tone and atmospheric nuances really. Probably a great headphone album (too lazy to reach for the headphones though which are just out of reach at this point).

07.10.2015 - 02:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Nice. Reminds me of Aborym

Yay, relatively new Nagaarum album and I haven't seen it:
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.10.2015 - 02:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
^ You sure that's not another Slugdge record?
07.10.2015 - 02:31
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ I clam that it is not
----
- Reimu Hakurei
07.10.2015 - 07:16
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Balmog - Svmma Fide

Black Metal from Spain, I can hear some Deathspell Omega and a little bit of Shining here and there. Pretty good.

----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
10.10.2015 - 18:07
Candlemass
Defaeco
Terminal Function - Clockwork Sky

Another quasi-Meshuggah album. I'm enjoying it.

11.10.2015 - 08:32
no one
Account deleted
Veldes - Descent

Atmospheric bm

https://veldes.bandcamp.com/album/descent
11.10.2015 - 15:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Haven't listened to much of this yet but sounds pretty good. Post-black, but a bit more emphasis on groove and melodies than your usual stuff. Lots of interesting, offbeat punctuation going on.

Ultra-epic blackened hardcore with pronounced orchestral and shoegaze elemements. It's quite unique to my ears, and really good as well.

12.10.2015 - 09:52
no one
Account deleted
New Kall.... one track teaser

15.10.2015 - 00:36
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
AFOS going doom with a lawsuit potential in the cover, but the mixing on this one does quite bother me at times to the point of it turning me off.

----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

15.10.2015 - 01:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alakazam on 15.10.2015 at 00:36

Here's something that I found to be sorta interesting to put out here. Especially the album cover for all you Alien / Giger fans out there. As for the music, it's sorta like a doom-ish equivalent to that apparent narrative style that A Forest Of Stars do, if you're familiar with them. It is actually more interestingly better contrived as a single song album instead of many, but the mixing on this one does quite bother me at times to the point of it turning me off of it.

That was pretty good actually. Was listening to it on laptop speakers so can't really comment on the mix, but I liked it nonetheless.
15.10.2015 - 01:52
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by [user id=4365] on 15.10.2015 at 01:38

That was pretty good actually. Was listening to it on laptop speakers so can't really comment on the mix, but I liked it nonetheless.

When I listened to it, it was on my headphones instead and the drums seemed to be revved up to at least double what everything else was, making it relatively distracting.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

15.10.2015 - 01:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alakazam on 15.10.2015 at 01:52

When I listened to it, it was on my headphones instead and the drums seemed to be revved up to at least double what everything else was, making it relatively distracting.

Too prominent drums is definitely a no-no. Hopefully won't put me off the record when I listen to it properly.
15.10.2015 - 05:16
MoonProgeny
So, I've noticed a lot of people recommending albums but not really asking for recommendations ... is there a separate thread for the latter (I didn't see one on the first page) or is everyone just too rapidly excited by their current favorites? Oh, and to stick with the spirit of the thread, I can say that I recommend the latest Between The Buried And Me album - Coma Ecliptic - to those who enjoy progressive rock with modest amounts of heaviness, screams and what have you. I know it's such an obscure album so ...
15.10.2015 - 07:13
no one
Account deleted
No ones asking for recommendations, the threads just for recommending
15.10.2015 - 16:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
You could open an official thread for recommendation though, it would be helpful. I'd use it
----
- Reimu Hakurei
15.10.2015 - 20:41
no one
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 15.10.2015 at 16:14

You could open an official thread for recommendation though, it would be helpful. I'd use it

i don't reckon it would be as useful as the MA one though.
15.10.2015 - 21:17
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by [user id=136611] on 15.10.2015 at 20:41

Written by Karlabos on 15.10.2015 at 16:14

i don't reckon it would be as useful as the MA one though.

Unless there was one rec thread for every genre like there is there.
Besides there are so much more users there... so I think the recs would spawn slower here than thery do there
----
- Reimu Hakurei