Metal Storm logo
Bands that you prefer their newer stuff

Original post

Posted by selken, 17.07.2008 - 07:21
it's almost an unwritten law (and a Metalstormer law) that in order to be a true metalhead you have to like only old stuff from bands, and loathe their new stuff, but we know there are few bands that you maybe prefer their newer stuff. who knows, better production, more mature lyrics, more skilled musicianships, anything.

These are my bands

Exodus: I prefer their last 3 albums over their old stuff, of course their old stuff is OK, but I find the new ones more technical, with better riffs and more agressive. Sometimes touching the borders of melody.

Kreator: I'm a fan of old-school and melodic extreme, but in this case, I prefer their lastest 2 albums, I like a lot the melodic yet agressive riffs.

Behemoth: starting from the normal, almost generic black metal, these dudes later developed a brutal sound for the atmospheric black metal.

Hypocrisy: their latest album Virus is my fav of them all, it has better riffs IMO and more catching songs

so, post ! xD
22.08.2008 - 10:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Hardcore Superstar for me, before they were pretty weak pop-punk-glam, now they actually have memorable songs, heavy and more powerful. The old material was kind of lacking...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.08.2008 - 00:00
owl
I like Amorphis' "Eclipse" and "Silent Waters" better than their earlier albums. I think they accomplished a better job in that different kind of sound.

I also prefer Primordial's "To The Nameless Dead" above all other albums they made in the past.
----
23.08.2008 - 00:25
Ernis
狼獾
For sure it'd be The Gathering.....their early doom death stuff was indeed promising (considering their brilliant later career) but for instance compared to fellow doom death act Beseech (also developed into rich mellow goth style later) their first works are weak. Also the album "Almost A Dance" was a step towards the Entwine style but the unsureness and overall raw impression make this even weaker than the doom death era. Anneke was the one who picked the band up and made them ascend amongst the best ones. Anneke was the best gift and choice for the Gathering dudes....I do hope they'll pick equally good and talented singers to produce more music (and for sure playing the old stuff...)...
As someone once stated....the hopes are high....
23.08.2008 - 01:37
Warman
Erotic Stains
Deathstars made Termination Bliss which is one of my favourite albums. They keeped the Synthetic Generation sound but made it better, catchier and more... sad?

Watain did maybe the best Black Metal album of all time with Sworn to the Dark.

Shining has always been excellent but with every album they've taken a step further.

I guess Månegarm is better now than then. Havets vargar, their second album, is their best but Nordstjärnans tidsålder and Dödsresa can't stand up against Vredens tid and Vargstenen.

Dark Tranqullity is a band which IMO didn't do much great before but ever since Haven have created awesome music.

Kreator and Celtic Frost are hard ones. Both bands could have made their best work with the latest album, but their other "new" albums (yeah here I'm counting Vanity/Nemesis and Cold Lake as new which is totally unfair, but it is their later work) have seriously been shit while their old stuff is amazing.
----
23.08.2008 - 14:03
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Ernis on 23.08.2008 at 00:25

For sure it'd be The Gathering.....their early doom death stuff was indeed promising (considering their brilliant later career) but for instance compared to fellow doom death act Beseech (also developed into rich mellow goth style later) their first works are weak.

You can't compare the two bands cause they aren't contemporaries. The Gathering is one of founding fathers of doom/death (together with Winter, MDB, Paradise Lost...) whereas a band such Beseech came along later and started making music they had already heard.
And IMO ...Always is far superior to any other The Gathering work (or Beseech albums) cause it was ORIGINAL and brilliant, never herad before, whereas later The Gathering was too heavily inspired by a band such as Pink Floyd thus taking away from its originality, and their newer stuff just sounds weak to me.

oh yeah, how can The Gathering move towards the Entwine style (not that I like ALmost A Dance) when the first releases by Entwine came years after Almost a Dance?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2008 - 14:43
RhysTerk
Shining: Halmstad is just a pure fucking masterpiece and one of the best albums of the 2000s

Kreator: Their albums after they experimented with goth and stuff is often better than the early releases

Amon Amarth: With Oden On Our Side is probably better than their early releases, it's a real masterpiece.

Then there is a lot of bands that releases as good albums now that they did earlier but not better, like Motörhead, Testament, Exodus, Slayer, Children Of Bodom, Celtic Frost, Death Angel etc.
23.08.2008 - 14:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by RhysTerk on 23.08.2008 at 14:43

Then there is a lot of bands that releases as good albums now that they did earlier but not better, like Motörhead, Testament, Exodus, Slayer, Children Of Bodom, Celtic Frost, Death Angel etc.

While I may agree on Exodus and Death Angel, I really think Testament, Slayer and COB were much better in the begging than they are now.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.08.2008 - 13:48
Inlé
Ah, this is always an interesting one to think about, as the old tends to be better than the new 99% of the time (well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration but that's how it feels sometimes haha), but there are a few bands whose newer stuff I do prefer to the old.

Vesperian Sorrow
Bolt Thrower (I agree with BitterCold, I don't like using this word but Bolt Thrower ar one of those bands that seem to have "Matured" as they went along, not that their earlier stuff is bad, it's all good, it's just that most of their best material seems to be later stuff imo)
Protector (I like their whole discography but the last two albums are the best)
Negura Bunget (yes they haven't got a huge discography backing them up but I reckon Om is and will remain their peak)
Wuthering Heights (like with Negura, their latest album, the Shadow Cabinet, is their peak imo)
Avathar (just seem to be improving all the time)
Manegarm (always been pretty solid but their latest two are my favourites from them)
25.08.2008 - 13:51
Warman
Erotic Stains

Kreator: Their albums after they experimented with goth and stuff is often better than the early releases

Are you talking about Endorama here? That is IMO one of the most underestimated albums ever, I think it's really good and very beautiful.
----
25.08.2008 - 15:19
RhysTerk
Written by Warman on 25.08.2008 at 13:51

Are you talking about Endorama here? That is IMO one of the most underestimated albums ever, I think it's really good and very beautiful.

Yeah, it's quite good, but i think albums like "Enemy Of God" are better
25.08.2008 - 23:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by RhysTerk on 25.08.2008 at 15:19

"Enemy of God" is IMO one of the best Thrash albums ever!
----
26.08.2008 - 08:29
5.T.4.L.k.E.R
Opeth
----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
26.08.2008 - 09:25
RhysTerk
Written by Warman on 25.08.2008 at 23:17

Written by RhysTerk on 25.08.2008 at 15:19

"Enemy of God" is IMO one of the best Thrash albums ever!

Yeah, it is
29.08.2008 - 21:27
Nazeef
Written by owl on 23.08.2008 at 00:00

I like Amorphis' "Eclipse" and "Silent Waters" better than their earlier albums. I think they accomplished a better job in that different kind of sound.

Hi, take a look at 1999 Tuonela.. you shall laugh at eclipse....
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
29.08.2008 - 21:35
Nazeef
"Textures" last two albums are a revolution comparing to their debute "Polars"...
"Katatonia" got better year after year...
"Dying Fetus" war of attrition is a sign of a new page (a higher level)
"Lamb of God" explosed through ashes of the awake and sacrament albums, yet they were just kidding..
I'll mention "Pantera", since everybody knows that they used to play glam and heavy before they grooved..
----
29.08.2008 - 22:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Nazeef on 29.08.2008 at 21:35

I'll mention "Pantera", since everybody knows that they used to play glam and heavy before they grooved..

They never played glam They looked glam but played US power.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.08.2008 - 19:51
Nazeef
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.08.2008 at 22:42

Hey dude they played Glam for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you've got just to take a look at "Metal Magic", "Projects in the jungle", "I am the night" and even "Power Metal" album wasn't a power metal thing you know...check it out!!:)
that's why they called "Cowboys from hell" their revolutionary album. we can admit that their Glam was heavier than bonjovi's glam but it was quiet glam.

this is an extract of their biography: "..........When Terry Glaze wanted to stay with the glam sound, his influence in the band diminished. Darrell took over a lot of the vocals live, especially on covers by Metallica and other thrash bands (they also had Van Halen and Keel covers, as well as Anthrax). However, the reason he left the band was due to his father objecting to The Elder having a 1/5 stake in the band (same as a full member) due to his recording and .........."
----
01.09.2008 - 12:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Nazeef on 31.08.2008 at 19:51

you've got just to take a look at "Metal Magic", "Projects in the jungle", "I am the night" and even "Power Metal" album wasn't a power metal thing you know...check it out!!:)
that's why they called "Cowboys from hell" their revolutionary album. we can admit that their Glam was heavier than bonjovi's glam but it was quiet glam.

Do you know diference between euro flower metala nd us power?

Pantera wasnt glam metal, it was us power , even thay looks like glam, but thay wasnt, GnR loocked glam too, but wasnt , and here Pantera played almoust all time thrash , we know them because og thrash, so newer albums, I dont think this band counts here
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.09.2008 - 17:37
owl
Written by Nazeef on 29.08.2008 at 21:27

I've listened to Tuonela as well... I still prefer Eclipse.
----
02.09.2008 - 15:47
Nazeef
Written by Bad English on 01.09.2008 at 12:42

Written by Nazeef on 31.08.2008 at 19:51

Do you know diference between euro flower metala nd us power?

Pantera wasnt glam metal, it was us power , even thay looks like glam, but thay wasnt, GnR loocked glam too, but wasnt , and here Pantera played almoust all time thrash , we know them because og thrash, so newer albums, I dont think this band counts here

I didn't speak about your Pantera, I've been spoken about "Pantera", I am a Pantera die-heart fun, and I hold almost everything about them, you shall discover "Dime Vision" DVD or "Vulgar Video" DVD, you'll find some clues to what I've said, did Pantera sound like DIO? they wheren't Motley crue as wall, but it was glam or us power or heavy something or as you want.. but Pantera has a clear biography, they were the guys who played glam,us power or whatever and they are those who switched through the cowboys from hell album to be more Masculin!! in deed, it was a darell/hetfield encounter that changed something into the mind of Diamond, anyway, I like "Vulgar Display of power" more that "Project in the Jungle"..
----
02.09.2008 - 15:49
Nazeef
Written by owl on 01.09.2008 at 17:37

I've listened to Tuonela as well... I still prefer Eclipse.

Here we come to subjectivity
Enjoy Amorphis anyway!!
----
12.11.2008 - 20:14
BrightNight
I think this "metal law" is ridiculous. Why cant a band improve or change their sounds? If they do they are not true anymore? Yes ofcrouse, some bands who go commercial and sell out and therefore change their sound. But there are also a lot of bands who just try to do something new or want to improve, without being sell outs.

For me, like "selken" who started this post i agree, I like the newer stuff from Kreator more then the old stuff. And i like Hypocrisy's newer albums more to. Also i like the way the sound evolved with the band Death. I like all their releases but all the album after their first two i like the most.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
13.11.2008 - 05:07
Demigodc
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.07.2008 at 16:22

Immortal, Satyricon & Emperor's later stuff easily pisses all over their early output.

I do agree with Immortal, Sons Of Northern Darkness is their best work and it is a Black Metal classic.
13.11.2008 - 08:34
Nightmare^
Written by Demigodc on 13.11.2008 at 05:07

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.07.2008 at 16:22

Immortal, Satyricon & Emperor's later stuff easily pisses all over their early output.

I do agree with Immortal, Sons Of Northern Darkness is their best work and it is a Black Metal classic.

Immortal yeah, i also like their last 3 albums faaaaaaaar more than the previous, rawer ones Satyricon IMO sucks now. I only listen to their first 2 works, i hate their latest stuff. As for Emperor, well, each album they released is different from the previous one, and for me they're all equally rated

For bands that i like their newer stuff more...I guess i'll name Kreator, Shining, Behemoth, there are some more and definately Nevermore. Their last album is a fucking masterpiece.
----
13.11.2008 - 11:41
DanielViking
Arch enemy, satyricon, vader, behemoth, unleashed, samael... so many actually... but these ones are the ones that came in mind right know...
14.11.2008 - 16:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by DanielViking on 13.11.2008 at 11:41

Arch enemy, satyricon, vader, behemoth, unleashed, samael... so many actually... but these ones are the ones that came in mind right know...

Actualy those bands what you mentioned I like only odkler staff ok Satyricon is good even new one, but still true olod satyricon are much better and name Satyricon for me are only old, even I love new stuff to
Others ONLY OLD
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.11.2008 - 22:41
DanielViking
Written by Bad English on 14.11.2008 at 16:13

Written by DanielViking on 13.11.2008 at 11:41

Actualy those bands what you mentioned I like only odkler staff ok Satyricon is good even new one, but still true olod satyricon are much better and name Satyricon for me are only old, even I love new stuff to
Others ONLY OLD

i like all things satyricon have made... they fucking rock and i don't like at all samael before ceremony of the opposites, after that is great IMO.
unleashed in the beggining was good but now it's even better
21.11.2008 - 00:12
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat

I wouldn't say that. IMO they're just different, not better or worse. I still can't decide between teh albums with Pasi Koskinen in the vocals and the ones with Tomi. they're completely different.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
23.11.2008 - 19:09
sq_xeper
Right now I can only think in Septic Flesh 'cause I dont like too much their early doom start, IMO they've evolved into something better
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
27.11.2008 - 11:28
laid2rest
Account deleted
Lamb of God.

I like their old stuff but Sacrament was a really good fuckin' album. I quite liked the blues influence that Mark adds to it at times, especially at the end of More Time to Kill. That's fucking awesome!