Metal Storm logo
Best Thrash Band

Original post

Posted by Dreamwar_86, 06.07.2006 - 15:56
Thrash.. is maybe one of the best styles of metal there are many great bands from the US and from germany too , whats your favorite

so give me your opinion what band is faster,more original,more heavy etc.

for me Metallica they are simply brilliant well they were first 4 albums are metal classics

Poll

What band is better?

Slayer
Metallica
Other...
Megadeth
Kreator
Pantera
Sepultura
Exodus
Destruction

Total votes: 456
10.07.2006 - 15:19
Stigmatized
Written by [user id=5724] on 10.07.2006 at 01:08

Written by Mega-Slayer on 09.07.2006 at 09:30

Written by Xtreme Jax on 09.07.2006 at 07:36

Written by [user id=5724] on 09.07.2006 at 07:27

Other- in my opinion Mudvayne is the best. A lot of people would call them Alt-Metal or something...but they seem to encompass the elements of Thrash to me...so there ya go.

Mudvayne?? Thash?? Ooooookay ... how can you consider them to be thrash?

How can you associate mudvayne with great thrash bands,such as the ones listed?

As for the 'great bands' listed...all I see are a bunch of bands with overrated guitarists [i.e. Dave Mustaine, Kerry King, Kirk Hammett] worshipped as false idols by legions of angsty high school kids.

I find that extremely ironic considering you have Alexi Laiho as your avatar.
10.07.2006 - 18:18
.:Jux:.
Testament??? Anthrax?
10.07.2006 - 19:46
Mega-Slayer
Written by .:Jux:. on 10.07.2006 at 18:18

Testament??? Anthrax?

What about them?I already wrote my thoughts on Testament.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
10.07.2006 - 19:53
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 10.07.2006 at 15:19

Other- in my opinion Mudvayne is the best. A lot of people would call them Alt-Metal or something...but they seem to encompass the elements of Thrash to me...so there ya go.

As for the 'great bands' listed...all I see are a bunch of bands with overrated guitarists [i.e. Dave Mustaine, Kerry King, Kirk Hammett] worshipped as false idols by legions of angsty high school kids.

I find that extremely ironic considering you have Alexi Laiho as your avatar.

Let's compare Alexi to those three....they don't even add up; he's far superior in seemingly every aspect [look at it technically]. And he's my avatar because I could find nothing better within the size requirements.
10.07.2006 - 23:16
Stigmatized
I don't know, I think any of those three could hold their own against Alexi. My point was you claimed that "Dave Mustaine, Kerry King, Kirk Hammett are worshipped as false idols by legions of angsty high school kids.", when in fact Alexi is the exact same way. People hear Chidren Of Bodom and they freak out and assume they are the greatest band on the planet. At my high school, people hear one COB song, and claim they know metal and that Alexi is the greatest person to ever live. They assume this without any prior knowledge of metal or guitar playing, and I see that a lot.
10.07.2006 - 23:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Thrash for me is all about musical technique. It's very distinct, and particular playing/vocal style. The basslines and guitar riffs of Mudvayne [especially the newer, faster paced stuff] are quite thrashesque, and Chad Grey's vocals are very much the epitome of the genre. As for the 'great bands' listed...all I see are a bunch of bands with overrated guitarists [i.e. Dave Mustaine, Kerry King, Kirk Hammett] worshipped as false idols by legions of angsty high school kids.

I almost punched a hole in my monitor after I read this post. According to your myspace, you list the bassist of As I Lay Dying and the guitarist of Mudvayne as some of your heroes. Bullshit! Dave Mustaine and Kerry King totally own all of the guitarists in the shitty emo bands that you listen to, which are actually the ones worshipped as false idols by legions of angsty high school kids.

Plus, Chad Grey's vocals are not even close to the epitome of this genre. How can you even compare his vocals to anyone else on the poll?
11.07.2006 - 00:40
Mega-Slayer
Written by Stigmatized on 10.07.2006 at 23:16

I don't know, I think any of those three could hold their own against Alexi. My point was you claimed that "Dave Mustaine, Kerry King, Kirk Hammett are worshipped as false idols by legions of angsty high school kids.", when in fact Alexi is the exact same way. People hear Chidren Of Bodom and they freak out and assume they are the greatest band on the planet. At my high school, people hear one COB song, and claim they know metal and that Alexi is the greatest person to ever live. They assume this without any prior knowledge of metal or guitar playing, and I see that a lot.

It is the same thing at my school,only with slipknot,dumb-ass poser bands Back to the argument,Kirk,Dave and Kerry are not only faster and better,but way more experienced,than Mudvayne or Children Of Bodom.
----

11.07.2006 - 07:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'd like to see the guitarist of Mudvayne make a song like Hangar 18, Angel of Death, or Fade to Black.
11.07.2006 - 09:07
LethargyMan
Well of course I'm going to vote for Sepultura. Then I'd probably vote for either Napalm Death, Testament, or Slayer.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
11.07.2006 - 15:00
Sunioj
It would either be Metallica, at least half of metallica (pff). Or Slayer, I never really got into any other thrash because I dont find as much aggression or anger in other thrash bands.
11.07.2006 - 17:12
F1R3PR00F
Account deleted
That's a good list you got there (poll that is), but seriously, where's Pestilence? I don't know about any of you guys, but Pestilence are so amazing to me. From Malleus Maleficarum all the way to Spheres, they've been such an amazing band in my eyes, weather they're uber creative or not, every song by them sounds so good to me. Also, I would have liked to see Razor on that list too, because they're a solid band that's been around for a long while also. I do like all of what you listed though, All hail good music!
12.07.2006 - 05:19
Mega-Slayer
Written by [user id=14834] on 11.07.2006 at 17:12

That's a good list you got there (poll that is), but seriously, where's Pestilence? I don't know about any of you guys, but Pestilence are so amazing to me. From Malleus Maleficarum all the way to Spheres, they've been such an amazing band in my eyes, weather they're uber creative or not, every song by them sounds so good to me. Also, I would have liked to see Razor on that list too, because they're a solid band that's been around for a long while also. I do like all of what you listed though, All hail good music!

I always considered Pestilence to be Death Metal?
----

12.07.2006 - 07:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Slayer. They might not be the most musically accomplished of those listed (let's face it, they aren't) - but there is just some incredible intensity about their music and their unparalleled live shows, especially if you were lucky enough to catch them in their true hey-day.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.07.2006 - 08:46
F1R3PR00F
Account deleted
Written by Mega-Slayer on 12.07.2006 at 05:19

Yeah, you're totally right vocally speaking, but the more I pay attention to the drumwork and the guitar harmony, I can't help but think they're a thrash metal band. They're sort of a cross between the two though, honestly because of the growling vocals. But whatever you label it as, it rocks hard either way.
12.07.2006 - 09:38
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
My vote is for Megadeth

But i would like to pay my highest tributes and salutes to Australian Electro/Prog/Thrash band Alchemist.
13.07.2006 - 04:06
Mega-Slayer
Written by [user id=14834] on 12.07.2006 at 08:46

Written by Mega-Slayer on 12.07.2006 at 05:19

Yeah, you're totally right vocally speaking, but the more I pay attention to the drumwork and the guitar harmony, I can't help but think they're a thrash metal band. They're sort of a cross between the two though, honestly because of the growling vocals. But whatever you label it as, it rocks hard either way.

Yeah they are sorta similar to sepultura a Death/Thrash mix.
----

14.07.2006 - 21:33
bangladesh
Fuckin sake, Meshuggah beats any trash band that exists. The tecnic, the riffs, the strangeness of the structures. One of the bests guittarists ever. Nothing on trash world is compared to Meshuggah. Who don´t knows, i recomend to give a listen, but atention, it´s difficult to like it because of that strangeness, only whit more listens.
15.07.2006 - 14:18
X-FrEaK
trash is not my favorite metal style but...i voted for Metallica, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Black Album are Masterpieces ^^ and songs that arent in those albuns like One, Seek And Destroy, Hit the Lights etc
----
15.07.2006 - 18:04
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by bangladesh on 14.07.2006 at 21:33

Fuckin sake, Meshuggah beats any trash band that exists. The tecnic, the riffs, the strangeness of the structures. One of the bests guittarists ever. Nothing on trash world is compared to Meshuggah. Who don´t knows, i recomend to give a listen, but atention, it´s difficult to like it because of that strangeness, only whit more listens.

Meshuggah are a very insane band (i think the word Meshuggah actually means crazy). This band has put out some great stuff with the masterpieces that were Chaosphere, Contradictions Collapse, and Destroy Erase Improve. Fredrick Thordendal (guitars) and Tomas Haake (drums) are amazing metal musicians but in my books, this band doesn't even come close to Slayer.

Slayer is the best thrash metal band. They have so many amazing and legendary albums (Show No Mercy, Haunting The Chapel EP, Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Seasons In The Abyss, Divine Intervention). How many bands can put up 7 classic releases? My favorite album and the one that really got me into Slayer is South Of Heaven. Lombardo is the best thrash drummer, and when you add the vocals of Tom Araya and two of the best guitarists in metal, you get an insane thrash metal band.
15.07.2006 - 20:57
bangladesh
It´s just a matter of taste...i think Slayer is very regular compared to Meshuggah (specialy Catch 33)...like almost trash bands....but from that list i think that Slayer is the best
28.07.2006 - 04:13
Pyro
Account deleted
There should be a thread about Bay Area Thrash Metal bands, only for well-informed thrashers, to avoid having commentaries like the ones fom "the mudvayne-kid". Anyhow, my fav thrash band is Forbidden.

And I highly recommend Sabbat, now disbanded. By the way, Sabbat from the UK!, there's a japanese crap with the same name.
28.07.2006 - 05:23
Mega-Slayer
Written by [user id=5584] on 28.07.2006 at 04:13

There should be a thread about Bay Area Thrash Metal bands, only for well-informed thrashers, to avoid having commentaries like the ones fom "the mudvayne-kid". Anyhow, my fav thrash band is Forbidden.

And I highly recommend Sabbat, now disbanded. By the way, Sabbat from the UK!, there's a japanese crap with the same name.

Yeah your right,anyway the best trash is always from the bay area with the exception of Kreator,Anthrax,Whiplash and Overkill.
----

28.07.2006 - 09:17
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by Mega-Slayer on 28.07.2006 at 05:23

Written by [user id=5584] on 28.07.2006 at 04:13

Yeah your right,anyway the best trash is always from the bay area with the exception of Kreator,Anthrax,Whiplash and Overkill.

Not necessarily, I preffer technical thrash, and there are several groups I like that are not from the bay area, like the belgian Cyclone or the well known Artillery, or Rigor Mortis, which is Texan I believe. But without any doubt the bay area is the more productive scene.
29.07.2006 - 10:06
Wo0dy
Account deleted
where is Forbidden?? Testament?? they should be on that list..
29.07.2006 - 11:41
BlackMin
Account deleted
From those band listed above, i would pick Slayer. Thought i cant understand why such legendary bands like Dark Angel and Vio-Lence aint in the list.

np: Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
30.07.2006 - 03:51
Mega-Slayer
Written by [user id=2431] on 29.07.2006 at 11:41

From those band listed above, i would pick Slayer. Thought i cant understand why such legendary bands like Dark Angel and Vio-Lence aint in the list.

np: Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
\
There are too many great thrash bands to fit on a list,that is why.
----

30.07.2006 - 12:26
dark awakening
I think Metallica in the first part of their work ('82 till '90) then Slayer and Testament
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
30.07.2006 - 19:11
MetalSpider
I voted Megadeth, because I really enjoy just about everything they do. Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman (Chris Poland as well) are awesome. Old Metallica...their first 3-4 albums are great but they went downhill after that...as most people here have established.

Slayer also has some good stuff, but for the most part I dont enjoy them. I really like Dave Lombardo and Paul Bostaph's drumming. Both are excellent. Cant say that Ive really listened to Kreator, Exodus, Sepultura or bands like Dark Angel, Vio-Lence, Testament that much.

I see no one has voted for Destruction. I like them quite a lot.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
31.07.2006 - 03:20
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Out of that list definitely Metallica. All the other bands are great too

but where is Anthrax
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
31.07.2006 - 04:01
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
My vote is for Testament! my favorite thrash band.