Metal Storm logo
Best Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal band

Original post

Posted by Valmont, 13.07.2006 - 01:37
One extremely important piece of the melodic death jigsaw puzzle is the Gothenburg style, named after the city from which it originated. It is not certain what band originally started the Gothenburg sound, but it is widely accepted that In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are the three major popularizers of the style, and some of the only widely known bands to practice it, with newer bands such as Arch Enemy and The Haunted being offshoots of Carcass and At The Gates respectively. -Wikipedia
I thought i can just give a little info. Not that you need it tho. Anyways so, which one is it for you? I guess this will end up Amon Amarth being the leader. I don't know maybe because they stayed pure from the beginning but my choice is Dark Tranquillity. They are giving the little signs of turning out like In Flames tho but i follow them!

Poll

Which one is the best Swedish "Melodic Death/Gothenburg Metal" band?

Dark Tranquillity
Amon Amarth
In Flames (pre-Clayman)
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Edge of Sanity
Other
Soilwork

Total votes: 429
18.07.2006 - 06:19
Surtur
Dark tranquility is great band but sometimes it seems that their music has to many synths, that's why I chose Amon Amarth, they have great guitars and powerful growls...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
19.07.2006 - 14:25
lordz
IzZo
did anyone hear of a band called "At Dawn They Sleep" ?
I downloaded some songs from their album "Paradise Lust"
they sounded Real good !!!!! I would say they have the Gothenburg Sound
19.07.2006 - 17:06
Stigmatized
Anyone mentioned Insomnium yet? I know they're from Finland, but they're considered Melodic Death/Gothenbrug....
19.07.2006 - 20:00
Valmont
Written by Stigmatized on 19.07.2006 at 17:06

Anyone mentioned Insomnium yet? I know they're from Finland, but they're considered Melodic Death/Gothenbrug....

But this is focused on the Swedish Melodic Death/Gothenbrug bands. =P
19.07.2006 - 20:03
Stigmatized
Written by Valmont on 19.07.2006 at 20:00

Oh...whoops. Forgot about that....Thanks.
19.07.2006 - 22:41
Valmont
Written by Stigmatized on 19.07.2006 at 20:03

Hehe, it's okay. Hey maybe you should start a topic about Finnish bands on some other genre.. Cause they don't even have enough Gothenburgers to fill the nomination thing. =P
19.07.2006 - 23:42
Stigmatized
Written by Valmont on 19.07.2006 at 22:41

Hehe, it's okay. Hey maybe you should start a topic about Finnish bands on some other genre.. Cause they don't even have enough Gothenburgers to fill the nomination thing. =P

There is a best band from Finland poll already though. It's not for melo-death though.
20.07.2006 - 00:04
Valmont
Written by Stigmatized on 19.07.2006 at 23:42

Written by Valmont on 19.07.2006 at 22:41

There is a best band from Finland poll already though. It's not for melo-death though.

Hmm yeah. =P
28.07.2006 - 04:08
Pyro
Account deleted
Out of those, and out of every scandinavian band of any genre, I'll say At The Gates.
09.08.2006 - 14:39
rebelos
Account deleted
before and after Clayman In Flames

DT come second
11.08.2006 - 02:23
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
I voted In Flames but Clayman-era included....In Flames 1994 - 2000 was for me the best Melodic Death band.

Soilwork was fantastic on their first couple of albums including Natural Born chaos, but they took an unbelievable nose-dive after that and went from great to fuckin horrible in a matter or 3 years...

Dark Tranquillity has always been great eventhough I never really got into them as much as i did with In Flames (not sure why). "Damage Done" and "Character" are two class albums though.

At the Gates released probably one of the best albums with "Slaughter of the Soul" in 1995, but thats the only album of theirs that i really liked so I couldnt really vote them as the best.

Ive never been a huge fan of Amon Amarth, probably because its so slow and sort of bores me. Sure its probably heavier than the bands mentioned but still not really my cup of tea...

Arch Enemy - Cant stand them...

Edge of Sanity - Never bothered listening to them
11.08.2006 - 06:00
tattootildeath
Account deleted
arch enemy is one of my fave bands even though i cannot fucking stand gossow's grotesque singing. early soilwork fucking slays, dark tranquillity are great as well.....ever hear their cover song of sacred reich? they totally nailed it, man. at the gates were great, as well as the haunted! what other bands from there that were not on the poll?:banger:
11.08.2006 - 06:00
tattootildeath
Account deleted
arch enemy is one of my fave bands even though i cannot fucking stand gossow's grotesque singing. early soilwork fucking slays, dark tranquillity are great as well.....ever hear their cover song of sacred reich? they totally nailed it, man. at the gates were great, as well as the haunted! what other bands from there that were not on the poll?:banger:
11.08.2006 - 06:38
Metalguaska
Definitely Arch Enemy is by far, the best band of the listed above, it just a great band, with a great singer, and a really good song-writing, this makes Arch Enemy the full package, i really don't have anything to criticize to them, and they are one of my favorite bands... the other bands are quite good, but none of that bands has affected me the way Arch Enemy has done it...
----
Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea
11.08.2006 - 23:12
Valmont
Written by [user id=1909] on 11.08.2006 at 02:23

I voted In Flames but Clayman-era included....In Flames 1994 - 2000 was for me the best Melodic Death band.

Soilwork was fantastic on their first couple of albums including Natural Born chaos, but they took an unbelievable nose-dive after that and went from great to fuckin horrible in a matter or 3 years...

Dark Tranquillity has always been great eventhough I never really got into them as much as i did with In Flames (not sure why). "Damage Done" and "Character" are two class albums though.

At the Gates released probably one of the best albums with "Slaughter of the Soul" in 1995, but thats the only album of theirs that i really liked so I couldnt really vote them as the best.

Ive never been a huge fan of Amon Amarth, probably because its so slow and sort of bores me. Sure its probably heavier than the bands mentioned but still not really my cup of tea...

I enjoyed the way of replying here. lol No one replied like that. =P
12.08.2006 - 01:01
lordz
IzZo
Written by Valmont on 11.08.2006 at 23:12

@K7 always replys like that!!
12.08.2006 - 01:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Arch Enemy for me. Probably solely because of Wages Of Sin, awsome album.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.08.2006 - 01:26
arwestromen
In Flames for me
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
13.08.2006 - 01:10
DIE_by_my_HAND
I voted for At The Gates because Slaughter of the Soul is an amazing album and is one of my favorites. They are really heavy and melodic, just a great band, and it's shame that thye are no more. Second would be DT of In Flames, and Arch enemy right after that...
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
13.08.2006 - 11:53
marinBG
In Flames, including Clayman! ...and mainly Clayman - it's just one of my favourite albums of all time...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
18.09.2006 - 17:11
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
For me it's just impossible to vote. I love every one of those bands listed. Great influence for my own music (even every album after Clayman with In Flames). Especially my vocals, but that's mainly influenced by Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity, ex-In Flames).
18.09.2006 - 21:18
Synical
Account deleted
I voted for At the Gates.

Slaughter of the Soul is a pretty good album, but I think With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness and Terminal Spirit Disease are extremely good albums.

Don't get me wrong, I love In Flames, but At the Gates are just one of those bands for me. I don't find any of their albums dissapointing.
19.09.2006 - 00:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by lordz on 12.08.2006 at 01:01

Written by Valmont on 11.08.2006 at 23:12

@K7 always replys like that!!

Etliest i try do it if i can, specely in that kind of treads
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.09.2006 - 13:47
Wo0dy
Account deleted
amon amarth...these guys are very underrated...they have alot of great songs like "death in fire", "versus the world", etc
19.09.2006 - 14:00
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Cause AA are sooooo underrated I have voted them. Seriously, I really like them the best.
20.09.2006 - 03:14
HelplessHysteria
Account deleted
The only valid answer to this question is Dark Tranquillity, but I suppose if In Flames' career was only one song, they could make a case.
20.09.2006 - 16:17
Sunioj
My cult favorites are In flames - Jester race, Clayman, and whoracle,
And Arch enemy - Burning bridges, Wages of Sin and Anthems. Plus these two bands got me into extreme metal.

I never found Amon Amarth to be that great, they are catchy, nice listening, but compared to Arch Enemy IMO isnt as extreme.
21.09.2006 - 15:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
Amon Amarth, I just started listening to them and love them! In Flames are very close to have my vote but I am so tired of them right now.
----
21.09.2006 - 16:45
Eight
Shapeshifter
A tough call, ill go with old Flames coz im a fan and thats the reason , but other bands are awsome too, it is very dificult to deside...
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
23.09.2006 - 23:06
Remus
Arch Enemy hands down, the best band in this group! I would say best band period but some people might dissagree...
----
Procrastinate, NOW!