Metal Storm logo
Death Magnetic vs Endgame

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 11.09.2009 - 02:54
So everyone always seems more than keen to compare Metallica and Megadeth. Within the last year both bands have released new albums that are a "return" to a thrashier sound. Now they are both released, it is of slight interest to see which of these albums people actually prefer.

Please explain opinions, thanks.

Poll

Which album do you prefer?

Megadeth - Endgame
Metallica - Death Magnetic

Total votes: 103
15.10.2009 - 01:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.10.2009 at 01:29

Well, fair enough. The whole Megadeth/Metallica thing is a minefield.

It is still all schoolyard politics here. But then again so is 95% of the music industry.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2009 - 10:33
renai
Endgame is an album created by 1 oldtimer metalhead + 3 new young guns while Death Magnetic is created by 3 old n tired metalheads. So I go for Endgame.
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
17.10.2009 - 11:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
There's no use debating for me, Death Magnetic is simply a better album, Endgame feels to me a bit rushed, as if Mustaine wanted to retaliate to Metallica's album. quite simply put, Endgame has 3 good tracks(1320, Headcrusher, and the intro+This Day We Fight), the rest feels pretty generic to me, while DM has one EXCELLENT song(My Apocalypse) and even though there are some boring slow moments manages to catch my attention better than Endgame(who imo is also far too much based on technical guitar work masturbation). now Endgame isn't a bad album, but neither DM is a mindblowing one. it's just simply that i enjoy DM a lot more.
17.10.2009 - 11:52
Znoy
So. hm.... Death magnetic is a strange music... no fresh ideas
Lyrics are not fantastic, but riffs in "All Nightmare long" are normal.
I did not listened to Endgame. But I think Megadeth is not better than Slayer or Testament. Of cause, the last two albums of Megadeth is better than fucking "The world needs a hero"
18.10.2009 - 15:36
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.10.2009 at 01:31

Written by Baz Anderson on 15.10.2009 at 01:29

Well, fair enough. The whole Megadeth/Metallica thing is a minefield.

It is still all schoolyard politics here. But then again so is 95% of the music industry.

its indeed a minefield.we will be blown apart by these anti-tank mines.:gunner:
18.10.2009 - 15:37
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by renai on 15.10.2009 at 10:33

Endgame is an album created by 1 oldtimer metalhead + 3 new young guns while Death Magnetic is created by 3 old n tired metalheads. So I go for Endgame.

completely disagree with you.
21.10.2009 - 21:17
soadbyob
Account deleted
END-FUCKIN-GAME death magnetic sounds like "new" metallica (black album, load, reload, st.anger) endgame sounds like good oldschool megadeth (peace sells, RIP, coundown to extiction) death magnetic sucked!!
24.10.2009 - 10:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I really don't get the people saying "Endgame" is like "RIP 2" or something. No it isn't! There is NOTHING on the album that compares to the genius songwriting and cavernous arrangements of "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due" or "Hangar 18". Despite the wealth of solos on the album, none of them come anywhere near the greatness of that album's best solos. Chris Broderick may be technically better than Marty, but as for feel, and putting emotion into the playing, Marty wipes the floor with him! "Endgame" is a good album, don't get me wrong, but on a par with RIP? Never. I prefer "Death Magnetic". "Endgame" feels rushed, and some of the songs feel forced, rather than organic. I find overall, "Death Magnetic" to be far more rewarding, in the long term. Though both are good albums. I also prefer "The System Has Failed" over "Endgame".
24.10.2009 - 21:11
Hanyuchan
After awhile all the songs on Death Magnetic started to sound the same.
21.12.2009 - 08:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Death Magnetic for sure. to be honest I tired to listen to End Game a lot, but Disappointed. I dont say that is a bad album its just not my taste I really hated the solo's not Megadeth type at all. but there was a symphonical song I dont remember the name. I really liked that song.

PS: I have to try "End Game" more. it seems a nice album.
21.12.2009 - 09:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@ The_Gay_God -

"to be honest I tired to listen to End Game a lot, but Disappointed"

"I have to try "End Game" more. it seems a nice album"

WTF

You should stop posting here and register at some Metallica forum.
21.12.2009 - 09:25
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 21.12.2009 at 09:17

@ The_Gay_God -

"to be honest I tired to listen to End Game a lot, but Disappointed"

"I have to try "End Game" more. it seems a nice album"

WTF

You should stop posting here and register at some Metallica forum.

I meant it seems nice cause when a lot of ppl say its nice maybe I have to try it more. metal music is not like madonna's albums or britnehy to be loved at the very first time.
21.12.2009 - 09:26
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@ Negro God - I have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Please register at a Metallica/Madonna/britnehy forum.
21.12.2009 - 09:28
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 21.12.2009 at 09:26

@ Negro God - I have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Please register at a Metallica/Madonna/britnehy forum.

I think you have to go to a good Dr.
21.12.2009 - 09:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@ Lars' Butt Buddy - Well.... can you examine me instead? I mean.. your advice is just so good... I'll even turn my head and cough if you would like that. I won't tell anyone, I promise But hey! don't use a glove, mkay? BTW, no need to quote a post when mine is directly over your's.

On topic - one thing that is so odd about this debate is the production. How can a band, as experienced and accomplished as Metallica, keep on releasing albums with horrible production? I just don't get it. There isn't one Megadeth album where the production ruins the album - it either has good or bad songwriting. I hate to rate an album negatively because of production, but Death Magnetic is recorded so poorly that it hurts the music. Sure, there are other problems with the album, especially the songs being long just for the sake of length, but you would think they'd have more sense. I haven't liked Andy Sneap in the past, but what he did with this Megadeth album is just perfect. Anyways, I guess it doesn't matter, because I'd still like Endgame over Death Magnetic regardless. If DM sounded better, I could give it a slightly higher rating... like 6/10, but even so, would fail when compared to Endgame or even the new Slayer.
21.12.2009 - 09:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ you, I looked at your profile, truly I understand you man. time will solve the problems doesnt matter.

about album's Production: no one gives the worst Award to a bad art. first of all, produce or even right a 10 seconds song (right a line of lyrics); then come and talk about metallica's production. its very funny for me when I see ppl talks about Porduction when they even cant ring a bell.

PS: but even if production is bad its not metallica's fault its rick rubins fault. I dont know how can he product so bad while he has not a bad produce yet. maybe kerry king has gave him money
21.12.2009 - 10:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@ Wolf Cunnilingus Boy - You won't truly understand me until you give me that examination that you so eagerly requested. Dig deep, buddy! No, it's partly Metallica's fault. If they want to act like gay rock stars and just let the producer take over, they have even less credibility than I thought. What do lyrics have to do with production? Are you autistic? haha your Kerry King joke is so funny! Man... maybe with practice I can be as hilarious as you. Seriously, take the user Bad English, make him even more retarded, and we have The_Black_God, sucking Lars' dick any chance he gets.

Another thing that I'd like to mention is the time it took these albums to come out. St. Anger was released in 2003, while Death Magnetic came out in 2008. Megadeth's United Abominations came out in 2007, while Endgame came out this year. Wow, it took Metallica five years to write a shitty album!
21.12.2009 - 10:09
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 21.12.2009 at 10:05

@ Wolf Cunnilingus Boy - You won't truly understand me until you give me that examination that you so eagerly requested. Dig deep, buddy! No, it's partly Metallica's fault. If they want to act like gay rock stars and just let the producer take over, they have even less credibility than I thought. What do lyrics have to do with production? Are you autistic? haha your Kerry King joke is so funny! Man... maybe with practice I can be as hilarious as you. Seriously, take the user Bad English, make him even more retarded, and we have The_Black_God, sucking Lars' dick any chance he gets.

Another thing that I'd like to mention is the time it took these albums to come out. St. Anger was released in 2003, while Death Magnetic came out in 2008. Megadeth's United Abominations came out in 2007, while Endgame came out this year. Wow, it took Metallica five years to write a shitty album!

they have to release more album to earn money while metallica can tour for 20 years man. they dont need to release albums thats why. secondly plz talk polite can you? or it has nothin with production?!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Painted_Blood

why they saw the bad production and used him again?
21.12.2009 - 10:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
You're right, talking politely has nothing to do with production. You should review albums more often! But.... send them to 4chan instead of MS You don't know what you're talking about, but it's ok. Dave has repeatedly talked about how he hasn't received much money at all from album sales, especially with RoadRunner not advertising Endgame enough. Dave is still rich - he just can write better than Metallica.

Digging deep to somehow keep this on topic - One thing that I was looking forward to with Death Magnetic was Robert's contribution. I thought that after he became a band member, his punky roots would maybe... somehow.... inspire Metallica to write good stuff again, but they managed to drown out his bass lines. I was really looking forward to that, but they just killed it :/
21.12.2009 - 10:18
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@you, now its better so you can talk polite thankz god! no one is Dave's enemy, he has money? Im so happy, its beautiful to see a metalhead with a bunch of money. I was in Ankara where I couldnt find Slayer's "World Painted Blood" (when I was there). but End Game was in the shops more than Turkish albums. even more than DM!
21.12.2009 - 16:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 21.12.2009 at 10:14

Dave has repeatedly talked about how he hasn't received much money at all from album sales, especially with RoadRunner not advertising Endgame enough.

That is bullshit on the part of Mustaine, cause Endgame has been and is still being advertised ALL over the place. It seems like Dave's ego got in the way once again. It is logical that both United Abominations (which was quite abominable) and to a lesse extent Endgame haven't sold incredibly brilliantly, cause imo also endgam is quite a poor album which is totally spoiled by the pointless solos being played in the songs.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2009 - 16:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
It's "Death Magnetic" for me. Both albums to me are flawed, but overall I find "Death Magnetic" to be a more captivating listen. "Death Magnetic"'s production isn't great, but it's hardly terrible enough to turn good songs into bad ones. The production could have been better, and 2 or 3 of the songs could have done with being shortened. In the main though, "Death Magnetic" really surprised me with it's high quality, and them ramping up the aggression and including thrash, without it sounding forced. Just it's opening track "That Was Just Your Life" is better than anything on "Endgame". Which is a good album, don't get me wrong, but "Death Magnetic" is a way more adventurous album, and sounds less forced than elements of ''Endgame'' do. Perhaps part of it is, I wasn't expecting much from "Death Magnetic", but was expecting a lot from "Endgame". Parts of "Endgame" sound forced, like some of the solos. I also think "The Hardest Part Of Letting Go..." feels unfinished, and as a result is a merely good song, when it had the potential to be great.

I like both albums, but I do prefer "Death Magnetic". In saying that, I'm just happy that two of thrash's most classic bands can still release albums of the quality of their latest.
21.12.2009 - 18:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 21.12.2009 at 16:58

It's "Death Magnetic" for me. Both albums to me are flawed, but overall I find "Death Magnetic" to be a more captivating listen. "Death Magnetic"'s production isn't great, but it's hardly terrible enough to turn good songs into bad ones. The production could have been better, and 2 or 3 of the songs could have done with being shortened. In the main though, "Death Magnetic" really surprised me with it's high quality, and them ramping up the aggression and including thrash, without it sounding forced. Just it's opening track "That Was Just Your Life" is better than anything on "Endgame". Which is a good album, don't get me wrong, but "Death Magnetic" is a way more adventurous album, and sounds less forced than elements of ''Endgame'' do. Perhaps part of it is, I wasn't expecting much from "Death Magnetic", but was expecting a lot from "Endgame". Parts of "Endgame" sound forced, like some of the solos. I also think "The Hardest Part Of Letting Go..." feels unfinished, and as a result is a merely good song, when it had the potential to be great.

I like both albums, but I do prefer "Death Magnetic". In saying that, I'm just happy that two of thrash's most classic bands can still release albums of the quality of their latest.

Im agree with you, all of us know that DM's production is not so great and its second problem is songs which were written for St.Anger (I think there are at least 2 songs and one of them is "That Was Just Your Life". even the name of the track reminds me St.Anger. yes everyband has some tracks which belongs to the ex album which is not released. anyway.

@Marcel, Im totally agree with you about Endgame it has a lot of useless and technical solo's which dont fit with Megadeth.
21.12.2009 - 18:12
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Angelic Storm, have vote for DM? cause if you voted after me it has to be 12 at least.
21.12.2009 - 18:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Dangerboner on 21.12.2009 at 09:35

On topic - one thing that is so odd about this debate is the production. How can a band, as experienced and accomplished as Metallica, keep on releasing albums with horrible production? I just don't get it. There isn't one Megadeth album where the production ruins the album - it either has good or bad songwriting. I hate to rate an album negatively because of production, but Death Magnetic is recorded so poorly that it hurts the music. Sure, there are other problems with the album, especially the songs being long just for the sake of length, but you would think they'd have more sense.

i agree the production is baffling. to have a budget like they do and going with "push all the knobs up to 10" approach is like living in a house with a 52 inch 1080dpi Hi Def TV and cable while watching the football game on a 15 inch B&W using rabbit ears to tune in...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.12.2009 - 19:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=31891] on 21.12.2009 at 18:06
Im agree with you, all of us know that DM's production is not so great and its second problem is songs which were written for St.Anger (I think there are at least 2 songs and one of them is "That Was Just Your Life". even the name of the track reminds me St.Anger. yes everyband has some tracks which belongs to the ex album which is not released. anyway.

@Marcel, Im totally agree with you about Endgame it has a lot of useless and technical solo's which dont fit with Megadeth.

None of the songs on "Death Magnetic" were written for "St. Anger". The lyrical content in places is reminiscent of "St. Anger", but that's just coincidence. "That Was Just Your Life" sounds nothing like anything on "St. Anger" to me. The production on "Death Magnetic" isn't great, but it's hardly the abomination that "St. Anger"'s production was!

To me, "Death Magnetic" is a great album, with just enough niggling flaws to prevent it from being a classic. "Endgame" is a decent album, but it feels like it should be much better than what it is. "Death Magnetic" is too ambitious in places, whereas the problem with "Endgame" is lack of ambition, and feeling rushed in places. Some tracks are really good, but nothing to match up to the magnificence of any of the songs on "Rust In Peace". I know it's not "fashionable" to be a true metalhead and stick up for Metallica, but I'm going to anyway! "Death Magnetic" is the sound of a band finding it's way again, and is a huge step forward to them becoming great again. Megadeth had found it's way again with the mostly awesome "The System Has Failed". Which is an album definitely superior to "Endgame". Metallica takes it in this battle!
21.12.2009 - 20:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 21.12.2009 at 19:01

None of the songs on "Death Magnetic" were written for "St. Anger". The lyrical content in places is reminiscent of "St. Anger", but that's just coincidence. "That Was Just Your Life" sounds nothing like anything on "St. Anger" to me. The production on "Death Magnetic" isn't great, but it's hardly the abomination that "St. Anger"'s production was!

are you sure or its just you feeling? cause really I dont know about it. just guess.
21.12.2009 - 23:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by [user id=31891] on 21.12.2009 at 20:31

are you sure or its just you feeling? cause really I dont know about it. just guess.

In this interview James says it was "two years writing..." So no, none intended for St. Anger. But I think it's pretty obvious anyway.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
21.12.2009 - 23:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 21.12.2009 at 23:12

Written by [user id=31891] on 21.12.2009 at 20:31

In this interview James says it was "two years writing..." So no, none intended for St. Anger. But I think it's pretty obvious anyway.

3 years* I think he says 3.
22.12.2009 - 23:30
Mindheist
No Longer Human
As I've always said, Megadeth and Xasthur have practically the same spirit, as both of them tend to release many records within a short period of time and that every single album rarely deviates from the past efforts. As for the four horsemen, the lacklustre guitar riffs and the rough-sounding drumbeats of St.Anger are gone which is a good thing, I enjoyed the record pretty well but considering what they produced in the past, what their glorious pandemonium holds from Kill'Em All to ...And Justice For All, this record pales and seems weak, relatively dense in consistency, but weak.

Back to Megadave, there's one thing I like about this guy, is that he never lies when it comes to defining his music. "I'm a legend", "James is jealous of me", "We are the Uncle Sam of metal", "my proudest moments since Rust In Peace"...Oh please give me a break, if you're a legend then what about Diamond Head? All Nightmare Long is better than the whole Endgame. Period.