Metal Storm logo
Your response when people insult your music taste

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 06.02.2012 - 19:49
I often encounter people who either see me listening to metal, hear me talking about it, wearing a shirt etc. and have nothing better to say than something ignorant like "all that metal music sucks" or metal is shit etc., you can fill in the gaps.

Anyway I think this is one of the universal annoyances metalheads have to suffer at least every now and then. And I've noticed that everybody seems to have a different approach to responding. Some people get into music taste bitching battles, some call each other gay, some even claim that metal takes more talent to play than other genres. I'm at the stage where I just ignore it and let them get whatever dumb remarks they want to off their chest.

So what do you guys do when people say this to you?
08.02.2012 - 23:43
Oaken
Hipster
I insult theirs.
No, seriously, I try to explain how much talent and technicality metal requires. I sometimes give them Nile or Suffocation solos (only solos) to listen to. And get bedazzled.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
09.02.2012 - 15:10
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Malphas on 08.02.2012 at 17:50

Adn the thing about headbanging=being on drugs seems to be general knowledge among the people here on the balkan, i get that on almost daily basis, people saying to me "aww you're listening to those drug addicts again!?" cuz the only 2 things that "normal" people notice about metal is 1:harsh vocals and 2:headbanging and if i respond with the words they aren't drug addicts or they aren't taking any drugs or something like that people (always..i mean every single fucking time) say: are you kidding me? look at them/listen to them (depending on whether i'm watching a video from some live show (usually at work when i have nothing better to do ) or just listening to music) you GOTTA be on drugs in order to do things like THAT! ...and i always think how stupid are these people!?

That drug thing is downright laughable I must say. I've never even been drunk nor high in my entire life, and I'm usually in a very calm mood and try to show good manners towards everyone. But if any of these people saw me headbanging/screaming/jumping up and down in the first row, they'd probably change their impressions of me because they don't think music alone can throw you in a powerful trance. But it totally can

Metal (and rock of course) is the first genre where I've come across powerful live performers. I'm not foolish enough to think it's the only one, just using it as an example... you see all those pop performers, even the ones I respect and whose songs I can sing along to anytime, hiding behind the elaborate stage, dozens of dancers, flashy costumes and five backup singers who are really the backbone of the sound, while the star is just the cherry on top. I'm not saying minimalism is key, I'm sure you can have good fun while going to a Beyonce's or Pink's or whoever's show, but still, I'd like to see them entertain thousands of people with just a backing band and a microphone. And entertain them beyond the point of just standing there and bobbing their head to the music. Look 25 years into the past and see Queen doing that, see the whole Wembley stadium sing along to the first lines of Bohemian Rhapsody spontaneously. Or look at any major festival to see metal artists doing that today.
----
7.0 means the album is good
09.02.2012 - 16:34
theFIST
Written by Milena on 09.02.2012 at 15:10

I've never even been drunk

seriously?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
09.02.2012 - 16:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by theFIST on 09.02.2012 at 16:34

seriously?

Well, when I was five year old, I got "drunk" with my twin sister when we had a bet whether she could open a can or not (dunno why we were fascinated with cans). And of course she picked a can of beer, and when she opened it, we drunk the beer together, and, being five-year-old kids, started giggling and later on we had a headache that's as close as I ever got to getting drunk... nowadays I don't even taste alcohol any more. Don't feel the need for it, and the extra calories aren't worth it really, I'm trying to lead a healthy lifestyle and if I want to indulge myself in something, I'll pick something I like better, like a chocolate bar. And stay at a healthy weight.
/end offtopic spam
----
09.02.2012 - 17:59
Slayer666

I've never even been drunk nor high in my entire life

That's kinda sad, really...
09.02.2012 - 18:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 09.02.2012 at 17:59

No, it is not? Why would it be said to have never been drunk in one's life. It's only commandable. No chance of brain cells dying. Actually drinking alcohol before the age of 20 is bad for any person, the damage it does to one's brain is tremendous.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2012 - 18:24
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.02.2012 at 18:18

No, it is not? Why would it be said to have never been drunk in one's life. It's only commandable. No chance of brain cells dying. Actually drinking alcohol before the age of 20 is bad for any person, the damage it does to one's brain is tremendous.

Personal experience speaking here?

Brain cells die either way, drinking only speeds up the process.
09.02.2012 - 18:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 09.02.2012 at 18:24

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.02.2012 at 18:18

Personal experience speaking here?

Noi idea, since I only started drinking alcohol when I went to UNiversity when I was 20, so don't knwo about that effect. But alcohol is one of the worst drugs around and that I do know from experience. Problem is it is a socially accepted drug.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2012 - 18:31
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.02.2012 at 18:26

Noi idea, since I only started drinking alcohol when I went to UNiversity when I was 20, so don't knwo about that effect. But alcohol is one of the worst drugs around and that I do know from experience. Problem is it is a socially accepted drug.

The worst? I don't know about that.

How many people do you know that frequently use cocaine during weekends but feel absolutely no need to do so during the workdays?
My point is that, while alcohol can potentially be just as addictive as any drug, there is less chance of actually developing an addiction to it compared to other drugs.

Of course, that's only based off my own experiences and experiences of people I personally know.
09.02.2012 - 18:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I don't drink, but if you look at my age that shouldn't surprise you, however I have a party coming up so....

Rules may be broken.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.02.2012 - 18:43
Vikingr

Hehe, I once got stoned off fumes at an Aerosmith concert when I was 13, that's my one stoner experiance Good times
09.02.2012 - 18:46
Slayer666
Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.02.2012 at 18:41

I don't drink, but if you look at my age that shouldn't surprise you, however I have a party coming up so....

Rules may be broken.

I was younger than you my first time
09.02.2012 - 18:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Slayer666 on 09.02.2012 at 18:46

Rules may be broken.

Actually I don't even know if alcohol is going to be involved, she was caught at her last party and got in BIG trouble.
Either way it will certainly be a fun time.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.02.2012 - 18:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Slayer666 on 09.02.2012 at 18:46

Rules may be broken.

Actually I don't even know if alcohol is going to be involved, she was caught at her last party and got in BIG trouble.
Either way it will certainly be a fun time.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.02.2012 - 18:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=101272] on 08.02.2012 at 17:56

I have 2 lists in my pocket:
1. A list of amazing and powerful Metal songs that will prove them wrong.

How much I've to pay in order to know your "powerful Metal songs"??
09.02.2012 - 19:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 09.02.2012 at 18:31

...there is less chance of actually developing an addiction to it compared to other drugs.

The chance is as high as with other hard drugs. Because alcohol can make you physically addicted. Btw, what do you think a hangover is? A hangover is withdrawal symptoms.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2012 - 19:01
ANGEL REAPER
Today a my friend's roommate insulted my music taste telling me that "its shitty noise with no talent needed to play-a worthless crap "
i responded : "So because you dont like it it dont mean its crap.Every music have its shit and diamonds.So why do you judge something you dont even whant to understand,and musically you just approach as a listener ,not a musician and concludes that it takes no talent to play it? "
He responded "But its utterly stupid music ,pointless screaming ,random noise,a crap compared to *insert some pop singer here* ! " and raising his voice and turning down some black sabbath song that was on speakers (which me and my friend was analyzing for some guitar sounds,and stuff)!
I responded "Man i knew that you are cunt!"

stupid ,ignorant, arrogant asshole....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
09.02.2012 - 19:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.02.2012 at 19:01

Today a my friend's roommate insulted my music taste telling me that "its shitty noise with no talent needed to play-a worthless crap "
i responded : "So because you dont like it it dont mean its crap.Every music have its shit and diamonds.So why do you judge something you dont even whant to understand,and musically you just approach as a listener ,not a musician and concludes that it takes no talent to play it? "
He responded "But its utterly stupid music ,pointless screaming ,random noise,a crap compared to *insert some pop singer here* ! " and raising his voice and turning down some black sabbath song that was on speakers (which me and my friend was analyzing for some guitar sounds,and stuff)!

I would have punched him out to be honest, If i was recording and stuff like that, and some arrogant asshole came up and started disturbing me and my recording process.

and I'm usually a pretty laid back guy.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.02.2012 - 19:35
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Milena on 09.02.2012 at 16:56

Written by theFIST on 09.02.2012 at 16:34

seriously?

Well, when I was five year old, I got "drunk" with my twin sister when we had a bet whether she could open a can or not (dunno why we were fascinated with cans). And of course she picked a can of beer, and when she opened it, we drunk the beer together, and, being five-year-old kids, started giggling and later on we had a headache that's as close as I ever got to getting drunk... nowadays I don't even taste alcohol any more. Don't feel the need for it, and the extra calories aren't worth it really, I'm trying to lead a healthy lifestyle and if I want to indulge myself in something, I'll pick something I like better, like a chocolate bar. And stay at a healthy weight.
/end offtopic spam

Cool story ya'. Anyways, that was one of the most horrible offtopic spam you can ever smash.
09.02.2012 - 19:37
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.02.2012 at 19:05

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.02.2012 at 19:01

I would have punched him out to be honest, If i was recording and stuff like that, and some arrogant asshole came up and started disturbing me and my recording process.

and I'm usually a pretty laid back guy.

believe me was thinking the same thing....you know i was not pissed off because what he said but the thing what he did : to turn off some song me and my friend was discussing ,only to turn on some random internet radio with some random talk show...
the worst thing is that this dude is on same faculty as me ,therefore a future engineer -part of intellectual "elite " in my country,and that he is not the only one...
btw if he done that while at my place i would kick him out ,but i was at his "domain"so the laws of hospitality did not allowed me to do such disrespectful act
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
09.02.2012 - 19:38
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Slayer666 on 09.02.2012 at 17:59

There's a lot of sad things about me but this ain't one... I think getting shitfaced and expecting other people to take care of my safe return home, and making sure I don't do anything too stupid would be extremely selfish of me I only wish I was as disciplined as I am with alcohol in other areas of my life, like in battling my internet addiction or adhering to my healthy eating formulas for more than a month at a time. If that makes me boring, oh well.
----
09.02.2012 - 19:57
Slayer666
Written by Milena on 09.02.2012 at 19:38

There's a lot of sad things about me but this ain't one... I think getting shitfaced and expecting other people to take care of my safe return home, and making sure I don't do anything too stupid would be extremely selfish of me I only wish I was as disciplined as I am with alcohol in other areas of my life, like in battling my internet addiction or adhering to my healthy eating formulas for more than a month at a time. If that makes me boring, oh well.

Haha, you remind me sooo much of a buddy of mine. I absolutely admire his (and your) dedication not to touch any substances until you're.... 40, or something, but yeah, it does get a bit annoying from time to time.

But don't mind me, it's a potential junkie you're talking to here, after all.
09.02.2012 - 20:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=101272] on 09.02.2012 at 19:58

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.02.2012 at 18:53

Well, hang on

Till when??
09.02.2012 - 22:32
Zombie94
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.02.2012 at 10:10

The thing that I find funny and more than a little ironic, is that some of the biggest posers in metal fandom come from that demographic.

@Cill94: Zombies (...Ate My Neighbours in the US) is an awesome game! <3

Hell yeah it is! Doesn't get much better than fighting gigantic babies and going through crypts with the trusty water pistol. And the music. I fucking love the music in that game so much.
09.02.2012 - 22:42
Zombie94
Written by [user id=114505] on 08.02.2012 at 21:07

I usually don't give attention if they say "you muisc is for crazy peoples" or "worthless noise". In these times I try to explain the differences between the modern metal bands and the whole genre. The people don't want to believe that there's a massive number of metal/rock genres, they just know slipnot horrible sound and already label metal as worthless screams and noise. In these times I try to make them listen to simple and easy, like Judas Priest's "Angel", Sonata Arctica's "Shy" or Angra's "Bleeding Heart". These slow and emotionally songs can at least make then think a bit different. I also compare these songs to extreme things like Napalm Death and early Bathory, for a little more effect. Few of them understand this tiny explanation (or at least try). If they still insist with prejudice, I calmly say things like... "Ok! So this is just nonsence scream, right?So this is satanic music? Then ask me: You can scream better? Metal is mentally retarded because you put your personal thoughts ahead of trying to understand the lyrics, the history or the artist of metal music? Try to convince me that metal is satanic, cite just one satanic music your know. Rammstein??? You think they are satanic just because of their stage presence? You have a limited mind, that's all. Now my turn: How many groups funk carioca has influenced? Where a music that implies that woman is just a sexual object or that everyone should be a thief is better? How many albums these groups have sould? Oh, I forgot! Tey don't record albums!! So why they are better?(everyone here in brazil listen to "funk carioca"... You surely don't know it, and don't want to..).

I certainly haven't heard of 'funk carioca' lol.

Well to be honest if they don't like Slipknot or other nu metal bands like them I tend not to think there's much potential for them liking other metal bands. Just because it's bands like that which tend to be gateways for people into heavier stuff. I started off with bands like Slipknot and Disturbed and it doesn't seem heavy at all now. Back then I thought it was as hardcore as it gets ahaha.

In general though I'm not really for the idea of trying to 'convert' someone into a metalhead. Maybe if the person is already listening to hard rock or something to that effect, then you could ween them on to bands like Maiden, Priest, Saxon, Black-album-Metallica. But not if they're the kind of person who insults your taste when all they listen to is what the radio feeds them. They're not worth any metalhead's time when it comes to conversion. I find the crossover into being a metal fan tends to either be with 'emos' or people who were into hard/classic rock. At least that's what I've noticed from past experience.
09.02.2012 - 22:48
Zombie94
Written by [user id=113163] on 08.02.2012 at 20:23

There really is no reason to argue with the ignorant. It's a waste of time.

That's the approach I've come to adopt too. Dragging yourself down to the level of baseless petty insults that the other person is using rarely tends to achieve much, if anything.
09.02.2012 - 23:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie94 on 09.02.2012 at 22:32
Hell yeah it is! Doesn't get much better than fighting gigantic babies and going through crypts with the trusty water pistol. And the music. I fucking love the music in that game so much.

"From the depths of the earth.... ANTS!" For some reason, I never ever forgot that level intro, but can't recall any of the others...

The music was wonderfully macabre and fiendish, but presented in a fun way, which was awesome. The one thing I didn't like in the game, was that huge pink boss spider that you had to defeat twice... I hate spiders anyway, and the fact it was so hard to kill meant it was on-screen for ages! brrr...
10.02.2012 - 00:37
Zombie94
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.02.2012 at 23:12

"From the depths of the earth.... ANTS!" For some reason, I never ever forgot that level intro, but can't recall any of the others...

The music was wonderfully macabre and fiendish, but presented in a fun way, which was awesome. The one thing I didn't like in the game, was that huge pink boss spider that you had to defeat twice... I hate spiders anyway, and the fact it was so hard to kill meant it was on-screen for ages! brrr...

I would actually love to see a metal cover of this. Or any of the songs from that game!

10.02.2012 - 08:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie94 on 10.02.2012 at 00:37
I would actually love to see a metal cover of this. Or any of the songs from that game!

If I was in a metal band, I would definitely cover a tune or two from Zombies! This was a really awesome one!

I'm sure some people might find it amusing that I love a lot of video game music, and hold it in high esteem, although I've yet to have anyone insult that musical taste.
10.02.2012 - 16:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by [user id=101272] on 09.02.2012 at 21:24

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.02.2012 at 20:18

Written by [user id=101272] on 09.02.2012 at 19:58

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.02.2012 at 18:53

Well, hang on

Till when??

Don't hold your breath, but here are a couple so far:
1. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
2. Mastodon - Oblivion
3. Death - Scavenger Of Human Sorrow
4. Mirrorthrone - So Frail
5. Bathory - One Rode To Asa Bay

Pretty good. Okay, I'll tell Mitt Romney to give you some bucks for the songs you gave access to me.