Metal Storm logo
Mayhem

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.11.2006 - 22:30
No official Mayhem thread? Weird.

You all know the band, no need for an introduction. Discuss all Mayhem stuff here.

First, I'd like to start off with a question. Is anyone of you familiar with their live album Live In Zeitz?
I came across it lately, and was wondering if it is good. No, I am not talking about Live In Leipzig. Live In Zeitz has Dead on vocals, so I thought it would be nice to have that one, since there is not much of Dead besides Live In Leipzig and the Morbid/Mayhem split 'A Tribute To The Black Emperors'. Thank you!
03.11.2006 - 21:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Come on kids, stick to Mayhem.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.11.2006 - 10:55
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Saw their interview in the Metal Documentary, Headbanger : A Metalheads Journey, rebellious i should say, the band was in such a state that they wud've killed anyone had they heard them saying "Black Metal is Dying", the fact that they made a chain out of the skull of their old vocalist itself is such a disturbing thing.
04.11.2006 - 21:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Come on, do you believe that?

By the way, wasn't that interview with Necrobutcher who only said 'fuck'?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.11.2006 - 13:00
Basso
Account deleted
Yes it was, and I think it is rather hillarious. The things about the skull fragments n stuff is nothin to discuss we aint going to get the truth anyway.
05.11.2006 - 13:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Exactly. If we are going to discuss the rumours, then we'll need another 20 Mayhem threads.

So, what's everybody's favorite songs and albums? Mine is definatly 'Life Eternal', that song has a damn good scream from my dear Atilla. Mysteriis is my fav. album.
----

05.11.2006 - 19:09
spirit_inblack
harshhead
My favorite song is either 'Freezing Moon', 'Life Eternal', or 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' and my favorite album is obviously De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.
05.11.2006 - 19:28
Basso
Account deleted
Freezing Moon, from Live In Leipzig. and Funeral Fog / De mysteriis dom sathanas from DMDS album.

fav album DMDS ofc. Dont really like their new material, its boring in my opinion
06.11.2006 - 08:49
Zombie, M.D.
Deathcrush is my favorite release by Mayhem, with the title song and Chainsaw Gutsfuck being my favorite tracks. Aside from the goofy lyrics I think its significantly more morbid sounding than their other material. Maniacs shrieks are great on that release.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
12.11.2006 - 09:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=5080] on 01.11.2006 at 23:00

I never heard about that, neither... obviously a bootleg if you ask me, there are thousands and thousands of Mayhem bootlegs around....

And well, I had always been a Mayhem freak, during my long metalhead life... De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is THE Black Metal album, and Live In Leipzig is the darkest shit ever... I personally like everything Mayhem had released since Deathcrush, even the controversial "Grand Declaration Of War" is a masterpiece.

Finally someone who doesnt hate Maniac, I get made fun of by alot of my friends for choosing Maniac as my favorite Mayhem front man. I really enjoyed 'chimera' and alot off of grand declaration.....unlike some elitists.

btw what i didnt get was on the mayhem album 'grand declaration of war' to daimonion prt2 was just talking for a few seconds then silence, and prt 3 was just a 7 second silence....was that just a problem with my disc or is that the way its suposed to be? and if so, why?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.11.2006 - 12:12
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 12.11.2006 at 09:23

Finally someone who doesnt hate Maniac, I get made fun of by alot of my friends for choosing Maniac as my favorite Mayhem front man. I really enjoyed 'chimera' and alot off of grand declaration.....unlike some elitists.

You dont have to be an elitist to find both dead and atila cashir far superior vocalist than maniac.

Have to say that Maniacs vocals on deathcrush is great, but the later efforts... no thanks.
12.11.2006 - 15:27
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 12.11.2006 at 12:12

You dont have to be an elitist to find both dead and atila cashir far superior vocalist than maniac.

Have to say that Maniacs vocals on deathcrush is great, but the later efforts... no thanks.

Maniac's performance in "Chimera" is one of the best vocals in Black Metal history, that used to be my favourite BM release just after it was released... Maniac's dirty voice in Grand Declaration Of War and the extraordianary Mediolanum Capta Est live album are also shocking... on the other hand, I think he's very weak on Deathcrush, sounding like a frog croak.

And yes, wurzel, the silence after To Daimonion is part of the CD, don't ask me why
12.11.2006 - 15:39
Basso
Account deleted
I found chimera an incredibly mediocre release, Mediolanum is boring, and so is Grand declaration. I do look forward to hearing the new album with Atila on vocals though.
12.11.2006 - 18:47
Trifixion
Account deleted
Yeah I can't wait for the new release either, I've been looking foward to it for a while now. On that question my favorite songs are Freezing Moon, Funeral Fog, and Necrolust to name a few. Freezing Moon is my top favorite for sure though. It has so many of the eeriest, darkest riffs I have ever heard all on one song. And Atilla is the perfect vocalist for such a song.
14.11.2006 - 09:52
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I woke up with De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas this morning and damn, I love it more and more. The creepy riffs, the haunting vocals. One of the best BM albums ever, if you'd ask me.
----

15.11.2006 - 11:34
AntaeusM
Elite
Mayhem was never anything special to me. I remember I only really like their band logo, but that's all. Every black metal fan is praising "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", but I don't understand why. The album becomes boring so quickly. Yes, it is kinda atmospheric, on a few songs. Funeral Fog is a classic indeed, but all the other songs? I don't know..to me it is pretty obvious that other bands of that time, such as Burzum, Immortal or Emperor, clearly outmatched Mayhem. Mayhem suffers the same syndrome as Darkthrone has. They are praised by the scene, but honestly, are they really that great?

About their new stuff, it is just horrible. I even bought the original cd of A Grand Declaration of War; I really want my money back. Even when it was just 15 euro. That album was so..awful compared with other black metal releases. Chimera was even worse in my opinion. So overall, why do people like a band so much, when their releases are debatable?

Maybe it is just the entire tr00ness, and wild stories around them. It is fun for a few months, but it gets old quickly.
15.11.2006 - 15:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Well, I haven't heard much of their new stuff, actually I think nothing at all, so I have no opinion on that. I have heard the old stuff though.

What I love so much about DMDS is the very special atmosphere that you don't seem to notice. Can happen. I don't like Darkthrone that much either. But for me, DMDS is a different story.

As someone stated about 'Freezing Moon': 'this song contains some of the most creepy riffs I've heard', that goes for me for the entire album. The riffs are so damn memorable, legendary and amazing! BUt the best part is the vocal work. Damn, Attila has a really unique voice. And very flexible too.

But well, if you don't like, my story wont convince you, we both know that for sure.
----

05.02.2007 - 21:54
Damnated
Churchburner
the new track "Anti" of their new album Ordo Ab Chao can be downloaded here http://www.moonfrost.net/mayhem/download/anti.zip
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
06.02.2007 - 16:19
Hyvaarin

btw what i didnt get was on the mayhem album 'grand declaration of war' to daimonion prt2 was just talking for a few seconds then silence, and prt 3 was just a 7 second silence....was that just a problem with my disc or is that the way its suposed to be? and if so, why?

I agree that Maniac has his moments, but his performance of 'Freezing Moon' at Wacken 04/05 (can't remember which) is so hilariously awful that I can't consider him a contender for best Mayhem singer. The clip's on youtube, it's worth checking out haha.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
06.02.2007 - 17:40
Sunioj
I hadnt really the heart to look into their recent stuff, but DMDS is one behemoth of a good album. If I like DMDS would their other stuff be as good? ( Not if it has Maniac doing vocals, not my cup of tea )
07.02.2007 - 01:54
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
Mayhem is my all time favorite Black Metal band. It really sucks that Dead and Euonymous are gone now though:(

There's no way anyone in Metal can hate them.
07.02.2007 - 02:30
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Well Deathcrush was my favorite album although evry bootleg with Dead on it is just amazing. I definitely agree that their recent albums have been nothing to write home about but their old stuff is just amazing. Maniac's vocals are nothing compared to what they used to be, and Dead's vocals are (if possible) even better. Pity that everything more or less fell apart after DMDS..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
07.02.2007 - 13:45
APOHAKC
The Bard
I aslo like Deathcrush, it is real fucking Black Metal, but my favorite is surely De Mysteriis Dom Satanas, I mean this is real masterpiece, I also know millions thinks like me but that is how things work, this album is cult and I realy can't find someone serious if he/she called himself Black Metaler and don't like this album, those vocals, thin riffs and incredible production, I am in awe of production on that album, really impressive, after I hear De Mysteriis Dom Satanas I can't think of any Black Metal album which influenced me more. All Mayhem albums were good, I will say nothing about new materials bcause I don't like it but I don't hate it, it is just not Mayhem, they should never continue Mayhem after Euronymous died.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
08.02.2007 - 01:01
Himann
Orm KrigGud
I agree that DMDS was a masterpiece. I mean the list of people who played in it are a who's who of Black Metal. Attile on vocals, Hellhammer on drums, Euronymous and Varg on guitars and Dead's lyrics.. Thats just killer. The album is terrific with a unique sound and atmosphere which couldn't really be reproduced efficiently. I agree that Mayhem was better off to have stopped at that time once Euronymous died but I think Euronymous himself would have wanted the band to go on..

Having said all that on DMDS however, Deathcrush and Live in Leipzig are still among my favorite albums by them though.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
08.02.2007 - 01:29
APOHAKC
The Bard
Why would I get upset I was upset only when some chick here said that she was embaressed to be seen on Grave Digger, that was stupid, but anout this, it is normal that you have your opinion but as I see you are not some black metal freak like many people I know, for me Atila is greatest, I like Aborym also, and he is great guy too, he was in Serbia couple of times and he is real non-complex guy, I mean I just love his vocals, thay are so conviencing, not the case in many bands today, and De... Sathanas is my all time album, I don't know, just love it.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
08.02.2007 - 01:47
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Dead (Per Yngve Ohlin) - Vocals
Euronymous (Øystein Aarseth) - Guitar
Necrobutcher (Jørn Stubberud) - Bass
Hellhammer (Jan Axel Blomberg) - Drums

This was the best lineup that Mayhem came up with and is known as the the classic lineup by most of Mayhem's fans here. Its the lineup in Live in Leipzig. Even though my favorite album has to be Deathcrush, this album is right up there, followed closely by DMDS and Dawn of the Black Hearts..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
10.02.2007 - 08:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Hyvaarin on 06.02.2007 at 16:19

I agree that Maniac has his moments, but his performance of 'Freezing Moon' at Wacken 04/05 (can't remember which) is so hilariously awful that I can't consider him a contender for best Mayhem singer. The clip's on youtube, it's worth checking out haha.

Wow now that I look back on that post I realise what a stupid post I made, dont get me wrong, I still think Maniac is better than Attila, but 'elitist' was a stupid word for me to use. I apologize, but anyways yeah I found that clip, pretty embarassing.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.02.2007 - 09:45
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Well I was just watching a rerun of an old Black Metal show where they interviewed Darkthrone, Emperor, Satyricon and more importantly Mayhem. In this show they asked Mayhem about Black Metal in the 90's and well they were saying that lots of bands played Black Metal at that time because it was cool. Necrobutcher however added a little bit to it. He actually sounded bitter when he said "It was cool to them but it wasn't to us as it was our band members who died".. There was something about the way he said it. It made me realize that he's the only surviving member of the original Mayhem and he's both seen and been through all the lows and the highs that the band had been through from the start.. We idolize Euronymous and Dead and even Hellhammer a lot but we rarely give credit to one of the only remaining members of the true Mayhem.. Hail Necrobutcher!!
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
10.02.2007 - 10:36
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Himann on 10.02.2007 at 09:45

Well I was just watching a rerun of an old Black Metal show where they interviewed Darkthrone, Emperor, Satyricon and more importantly Mayhem. In this show they asked Mayhem about Black Metal in the 90's and well they were saying that lots of bands played Black Metal at that time because it was cool. Necrobutcher however added a little bit to it. He actually sounded bitter when he said "It was cool to them but it wasn't to us as it was our band members who died".. There was something about the way he said it. It made me realize that he's the only surviving member of the original Mayhem and he's both seen and been through all the lows and the highs that the band had been through from the start.. We idolize Euronymous and Dead and even Hellhammer a lot but we rarely give credit to one of the only remaining members of the true Mayhem.. Hail Necrobutcher!!

I agree, I have also seen that show and it really hit me that he is an underestimated member of mayhem...
10.02.2007 - 13:51
Angelstorm
Account deleted
Written by Himann on 10.02.2007 at 09:45

Cor this is so true. Necrobutcher has been there for so long and theres so much history that went on in this band yet he's been there throughout. Past all the deaths and riots and stuff.
10.02.2007 - 21:41
Death Is Fate
Account deleted
Mayhem Is the Best Black Metal Of The World!!!

Are You Listen "A Tribute To Mayhem - Originators Of The Northern Darkness (2006)" ?