Metal Storm logo
Favorite Death Metal Drummer

Original post

Posted by Dangerboner, 03.06.2006 - 06:28
I chose Kevin Talley. His work in Dying Fetus is quite amazing. He can go from insane blast beats and instantly change and play a technical beat. His best stuff is in Grotesque Impalement.

Poll

Who is your favorite?

Inferno (Behemoth)
Other
Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel)
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)
Tony Laureano (ex-Nile)
Derek Roddy (ex-Hate Eternal)
Kevin Talley (ex-Dying Fetus)
Tim Yeung (Vital Remains/Decrepit Birth)
David Haley (Psycroptic)

Total votes: 147
28.06.2006 - 03:50
vallhalen
Account deleted
it seems i'm the only one who voted for tim yeung. i didn't know anything about him until i found the Vital Remains stuff, then i got fucking impressed by him. i though "this guy has to be a sort of machine-human being". if i'm right he also did some job in Hate Eternal
28.06.2006 - 05:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Tim Yeung is my second favorite, behind Kevin Talley. Tim is faster, but Kevin makes everyone in the band better.
04.07.2006 - 13:29
Glen_Doom
Anyone mention George Kollias (Nile) Maybe not the best but he's up there close to them.
----
Spitting in the face of mainstream music !!!
04.07.2006 - 15:33
Stigmatized
Written by Glen_Doom on 04.07.2006 at 13:29

Anyone mention George Kollias (Nile) Maybe not the best but he's up there close to them.

Yeah, we talked about him a little on the first page. I agree with you, he is insane. I mean, he plays with Nile.....so he has to be.
05.07.2006 - 12:26
Samuel
Hamster wheel
Marco Pitruzzella From Los Gatos California

He has toured with Vital Remains and he is in a local band called Vornagar and another called brain drill

watch his videos and see for yourself

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=3033616

ive said this before but he does death metal and its sick
06.07.2006 - 05:48
Asat0r
I had to go with Tony, the man is fucking insane
06.07.2006 - 05:55
Alfo
Account deleted
First thing I noticed the first time I listened to Cryptopsy was the drumming. Flo is a fucking maniac !!! technical and lightning fast with touches of jazz drumming, sounds cool and all but he's good but don't tell him to do slow stuff he's not that good for that kinda stuff seriously.
Thought it's not death metal, there's still Hellhammer from Mayhem who's mega-giga-extremely-good. Have a little listen to his stuff you'll see he's great and his fills are also really good
06.07.2006 - 06:05
Invoked
Account deleted
I agree with Alfo, Flo has a style that's a lot more "in your face". For many of us, we knew Flo was amazing before we even heard Cryptopsy. I'd vote for Flo or "Commando" Sandoval out of this list, but you must give major props to Sean Reinert for being in Cynic (considering "Focus" is as complex as 3 Dream Theatre discs playing at the same time).
06.07.2006 - 06:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Does anyone think that Gene Holgan should be considered? I just thought about that as I was listening to the new SYL cd last night. Strapping Young Lad isn't death metal, but Gene is a fucking beast and could play death metal easy. He practically already does.
06.07.2006 - 07:18
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
@ pyroleprechaun:
I agree that Gene is a sick drummer and could do alot if in a death metal band... still some of the drumming in SYL could almost border line death metal or close to imo.

I still think Mike Smith from Suffocation is a worthy mention. Hes a beast, very fast blast beats. I dont think hes got a worthy mention in drumming now days though.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
06.07.2006 - 07:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, I realized I forgot Mike Smith not too soon after I created this thread. I was hoping no one would notice...
06.07.2006 - 07:25
Stigmatized
Try looking at it this way. This is a thread about Death Metal drummers. Last I looked, DM was FULL of great drummers. It's not an easy task to narrow the list down to a mere 8 choices.
06.07.2006 - 07:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
For sure. I was just trying to think who I could take out to fit Vitek (Decapitated), Max Duhamel (Kataklysm) and Mike Smith in, but it's just too hard.
06.07.2006 - 07:34
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I noticed pyroleprechaun

Well no matter, I was stoked that Dave Hayley was on the list and considered with the rest of these machines
----

Hellcunt Smurf
06.07.2006 - 08:02
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
How 'bout the guy from Atheist? Not very fast but his style is definitely noteworthy. One of the most unique drummers I've ever heard.
06.07.2006 - 08:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
How about the guy from sssshhhhhuuuuuuut uuuuuuup

I know people were missed. I actually thought about putting him in, but if I added him I would have to add the dude from Cynic and I just wanted to stay out of the super technical scene.
13.07.2006 - 21:30
lordz
IzZo
Written by Dangerboner on 06.07.2006 at 06:18

Does anyone think that Gene Holgan should be considered? I just thought about that as I was listening to the new SYL cd last night. Strapping Young Lad isn't death metal, but Gene is a fucking beast and could play death metal easy. He practically already does.

I voted for Pete Sandoval a great drummer like his work in god of emptyness
I like Gene Holgan cause he was in Symbolic.. fantastic work
14.07.2006 - 01:31
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, speaking of Gene, I think he would be a good addition for Hate Eternal, since Derek left. It's looking like SYL might break up so Gene Holgan could definitely do it.
14.07.2006 - 08:47
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Dangerboner on 14.07.2006 at 01:31

Well, speaking of Gene, I think he would be a good addition for Hate Eternal, since Derek left. It's looking like SYL might break up so Gene Holgan could definitely do it.

That would be pretty cool. He would add a lot of creative juices to Erik Rutan's Hate Eternal. His drumming on SYL's latest is really good too. Don't talk about them splitting though, maybe only just resting.
----
The force will be with you, always.
17.07.2006 - 00:39
bangladesh
Can we consider Mastodon a death metal band If yes i say that Brann Dailor is the best death metal drumer, if not, he is "only" the best of the world, but not the best death metal drummer
17.07.2006 - 01:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
No, they're definitely not death metal. He is an amazing drummer though.
17.07.2006 - 02:23
Stigmatized
I suprised Derek Roddy has no votes. The guy's practically a legend, I hear his name everywhere.
29.07.2006 - 21:37
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 14.07.2006 at 01:31

But of course. Gene "The Machine" Hoglan. I think he should be considered in the poll. He easily could beat any drummer mentioned. And don't forget Richard Christy.
30.07.2006 - 03:54
Mega-Slayer
I have really been enjoying Bill Andrews work latley,even though he's not one of the greatest drummers.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
30.07.2006 - 07:26
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by Mega-Slayer on 30.07.2006 at 03:54

I have really been enjoying Bill Andrews work latley,even though he's not one of the greatest drummers.

That's another great drummer forgotten in this poll. I really enjoy Massacre's From Beyond and Death'd Leprosy. He may not be "the greatest" but surely one of the greatest IMO.
30.07.2006 - 07:45
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Tim Yeung... he is pretty fast with his hands..
30.07.2006 - 07:56
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
and his feet!
30.07.2006 - 20:15
Mega-Slayer
Written by [user id=5584] on 30.07.2006 at 07:26

Written by Mega-Slayer on 30.07.2006 at 03:54

That's another great drummer forgotten in this poll. I really enjoy Massacre's From Beyond and Death'd Leprosy. He may not be "the greatest" but surely one of the greatest IMO.

Massacre's "From Beyond" is and extremely overlooked classic,and it gets no recognition,but its great death metal.Have you noticed that the track "Corpse Grinder" was also an early death demo song remember?
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
31.07.2006 - 01:04
Stigmatized
This hasn't really been a poll so much-as a complain-fest about drummers that weren't mentioned.
31.07.2006 - 01:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I know. I've been thinking about having this thread removed.