Metal Storm logo
Metallica playing metal again? (set list "rock am ring")

Original post

Posted by yvesson, 04.06.2006 - 13:15
Hej,
yesterday I watched the metallica show at thr "rock am ring" festival in germany live on MTV germany.
I was extremely surprised (a good one), that they played almost only old songs :
Here's the set list :
Creeping Death
Fuel
Wherever I may roam
For whom the bell tolls
Fade to black
Battery
Master of puppets
The thing that should not be
Welcome home (sanatarium)
Disposable heroes
Leper messiah
Orion
Damage inc.
Sad but true
Nothing else matters
One
Entre sandman
Last caress
Seek and destroy

You can see that :
_ except for "fuel", that show could have been played in 1991
_ All of "master of puppets" album is there (After "master of puppets", the song, James said "Master of puppets, 20 years, happy anniversary, Master of puppets, the entire album for you"

Well, so the point of my topic is :
Is metallica coming back the their old days and is there any other sign of it from other shows, or is it just for the 20 years of master of puppets that they played songs which just go well with the 8 songs from "master of puppets" album ?

Well, I wish I was there to see Metallica playing all those songs I love, after all the disappointments of "load", "reload" and "st anger". I felt 10 years younger yesterday !
06.07.2006 - 23:33
Pianoman
Account deleted
Metallica will play metal again. I heard the new song and its totally different of St Crap!
I really hope that they will play thrash metal again.
06.07.2006 - 23:41
Pianoman
Account deleted
The new song is pure Metallica thrash metal of the 80.
07.07.2006 - 00:15
Dam3k
My question is... what's wrong when a band change their style???
----

07.07.2006 - 13:43
RavenLord
Written by [user id=6192] on 06.07.2006 at 23:33

Metallica will play metal again. I heard the new song and its totally different of St Crap!

Forget it. If you're expecting a Metallica thrash album, you'll be waiting a long time. They played thrash for nearly 10 years before becoming first heavy, then hard rock. I expect the new album will be something in the vein of Load, perhaps heavier. If you approach it not as a metal album, let alone a Metallica album, you won't be dissapointed. Even on Load and ReLoad, by treating the songs as simply music I was able to enjoy songs like Ain't My Bitch and Fuel. If, on the other hand, you're expecting another Ride the Lightning you'll just be dissapointed.
----
08.07.2006 - 02:25
Pianoman
Account deleted
Written by RavenLord on 07.07.2006 at 13:43

Forget it. If you're expecting a Metallica thrash album, you'll be waiting a long time. They played thrash for nearly 10 years before becoming first heavy, then hard rock. I expect the new album will be something in the vein of Load, perhaps heavier. If you approach it not as a metal album, let alone a Metallica album, you won't be dissapointed. Even on Load and ReLoad, by treating the songs as simply music I was able to enjoy songs like Ain't My Bitch and Fuel. If, on the other hand, you're expecting another Ride the Lightning you'll just be dissapointed.

I only hope that the album of 2007 will not desapoint me again like St Anger, Load and Reload did.
Until now nothing is clear and we only have to hope that the new album will be the good as posible.
May I be wrong, may I be right but the only thing that we have to do is have hope that the album at least will be something closer to the 80.
13.07.2006 - 22:35
Pianoman
Account deleted
Written by Dam3k on 07.07.2006 at 00:15

Good question ..
I think is good when a band change their style. Some bands like Dream Theater, Angra or Shaaman has changed their style in some albums. Like Dream Theater in TOT, Shaaman in Reason and Angra in Fireworks. That are changes with good albums but when we are talking of changes like in Metallica, then we are talking of bad changes. St Anger is an awful and brutal work of pure nu metal and bad nu metal. Because I like deftones, some songs of linkin park and korn but I just don't like the way Metallica changed their style in St Anger. Load and Reload are good hard rock albums. The bad thing of the changes of Metallica is that this changes are so radical!. I mean you can't compare Load with Ride the Lighting because the styles are too different. If a band changes totally their style that band will dissapoint all their fans.
14.07.2006 - 00:39
Dam3k
Written by [user id=6192] on 13.07.2006 at 22:35

Good question ..
I think is good when a band change their style. Some bands like Dream Theater, Angra or Shaaman has changed their style in some albums. Like Dream Theater in TOT, Shaaman in Reason and Angra in Fireworks. That are changes with good albums but when we are talking of changes like in Metallica, then we are talking of bad changes. St Anger is an awful and brutal work of pure nu metal and bad nu metal. Because I like deftones, some songs of linkin park and korn but I just don't like the way Metallica changed their style in St Anger. Load and Reload are good hard rock albums. The bad thing of the changes of Metallica is that this changes are so radical!. I mean you can't compare Load with Ride the Lighting because the styles are too different. If a band changes totally their style that band will dissapoint all their fans.

Mmmm well, I know they've changed and it's true they have decreased their metal level (in a way to express it) but I think is not that bad the people says... Ye, maybe is not the same Metallica but I think there is a lot of pressure to this band... half of people who cricticaze Metallica don't even know why, is like a trend, now is the trend "let's say Metallica suck" and everybody says... just listen to the music but don't blast... I know they ain't the same but they for sure ain't that bad
----

14.07.2006 - 04:34
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer

It is not, that song (which I have baptized as "Death, Not The End" for I know it will be called something like that) is just a St. Anger song with a solo.

Written by [user id=6192] on 06.07.2006 at 23:41

The new song is pure Metallica thrash metal of the 80.

This song can't be considered as a work from that era, it is far from those majestic songs. I am very negative in considering that Metallica will ever make songs in the vein of their first albums because of the loss in the edge of James' voice; their songs now are meant to be more like "sing along" songs for his way of singing.

About the track listing of that show, it could have been that way just because of the mood the band had that day, because they wanted to play those songs in that show. We can expect it to vary given the amount of albums the band has and all the potential songs they can play.
----
Christless
14.07.2006 - 12:57
rocky0
Account deleted
The new song is kinda like Load & Reload meets St.anger meets Ride the lightning. I like it better than any song on St.Anger.
14.07.2006 - 23:14
darksun
Written by [user id=14928] on 14.07.2006 at 12:57

The new song is kinda like Load & Reload meets St.anger meets Ride the lightning. I like it better than any song on St.Anger.

you are right no band can make a worse album than st.anger.I watched rock im ring on tv.Set list was pretty good.I hope metallica will remember they're indeed a metal band
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
09.08.2006 - 23:32
Sakaftor
Account deleted
Personally I liked Load and Reload, it has some really lovely songs in it. But yeah, I've heard the new song that they played in Germany or whatever...it sounds pretty old school style, so hopefully their new album will be along the same lines ^^
15.08.2006 - 15:24
The Mu-Mu Thing.
Account deleted
My opinion? I think it's stupid to expect a thrash album, or even another Kill 'em All.. Metallica have done their things on a metal scene a long time ago, they've lost the inspiration, get into different waters..
Though it's real, that their producer will be Rick Rubin (man, he did an amazing job with Slayer's RiB!!), Bob Rock really sucked..
But anyway, Metallica - thrash again!? Come on! Step into reality?
And on the concerts, they were always playing mostly old stuff as I know.
25.08.2006 - 07:13
blakemcc
Account deleted

its wrong when after the change....they sounds like shit..and shit metallica now sounds like...and ive heard there 2 new songs...the new song and the other new song..u can look em up on you tube...they have live videos....but they both pretty much suck...1 is just like st anger but with a solo..and the other 1 is like old school punk..which i dont mind that much..but its still not great...
25.08.2006 - 08:22
Emperor IX
I saw Metallica at the 2004 big day out in sydney, and let me tell you whoever says that they cant play and they are not thrash metal can go jump, I have seen a lot of gigs by many bands, and metallica wins hands down by a mile. The only other band that comes close in my opinion is Opeth. They had balls to try new things in the 90s, its just a shame the rest of the "mainstream" metal community is so single minded that now they are seen as crap. Metal is about not having any boundaries, I hope they break many more with this new album.

music for life.
25.08.2006 - 11:28
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by [user id=6192] on 13.07.2006 at 22:35

Because I like deftones, some songs of linkin park and korn but I just don't like the way Metallica changed their style in St Anger. Load and Reload are good hard rock albums.

Yepp yepp I totally agree with what you're saying!

I also don't like St. Anger and I listen to nu metal as well, but St. Anger is really nothing important; not a good album in terms of Metallica nor Nu Metal.

And second of all, Metallica will never go back to playing thrash again. I mean, people, open you eyes. I still don't know why people keep saying that Metallica before St. Anger were thrash, I mean like, no way. Open your ears, with Load they entered the Har Rock era. And I still believe Re-Load and Gareage Inc. are the best albums they did after leaving thrash behind. So if you have hopes for Metallica playing thrash again, leave it behind.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
25.08.2006 - 11:55
Anathemani@c
I haven't heard Metallica's new song. However it's been two years that I know Metallica don't play much songs from St. Anger. They realised they released an alboum that sucks and now they continue their carrier by playing pld stuff and maybe by returning back to their roots. Allthough, I 'll give it a try to find their new song, I 'll hear it and then I'll post again...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
25.08.2006 - 12:25
Dam3k
Written by [user id=10988] on 25.08.2006 at 07:13

its wrong when after the change....they sounds like shit..and shit metallica now sounds like...and ive heard there 2 new songs...the new song and the other new song..u can look em up on you tube...they have live videos....but they both pretty much suck...1 is just like st anger but with a solo..and the other 1 is like old school punk..which i dont mind that much..but its still not great...

Well... really I don't see that bad the new Metallica stuff, respect me, I truly like the first albums but I think there is a lot of pressure with the last ones... I don't reckon them would be that bad.... I like songs like "Fuel" and "St.Anger" and of course for me "St.Anger" is not "Fade to black" or stuff like that but for sure neither is nu metal...
----

26.08.2006 - 05:13
Miki
Account deleted
I went to see Metallica in Estonia this year and i'd say that this gig made me listen to metallica a lot more. They didn't play almost any new songs (perhaps the reason being of reminding good ol' times). They still have the power in them, but basically you can't expect men that are soon 50 to have the same power as they did when they were 20 or so.

Anyway i'm excited, because right now it's like 50/50. Some people think that the new album is gonna be bs, some hope it's going to be good.

For me what made me not like the St. album was the sound of the drums (as wierd as it may sound), because they really seemed crappier then the old sounded ones to me

anyway thumbs up and lets hope for the best.
26.08.2006 - 06:25
nana.MD
Star-Queen

hmm...it's not that there's something wrong with a band changing style, imo they can change if they r going to do good stuff...but metallica changed and started going down, i know many would prefer them not to change at all...of course, staying at old good times...anyway, i don't expect nothing good about their new album, i'm not excited about it, and not looking forward to hear it...btw, that setlist was amazing, hope i'll get to see them live with a setlist like that (even better) soon...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
26.08.2006 - 15:09
Dam3k
Written by nana.MD on 26.08.2006 at 06:25

hmm...it's not that there's something wrong with a band changing style, imo they can change if they r going to do good stuff...but metallica changed and started going down, i know many would prefer them not to change at all...of course, staying at old good times...anyway, i don't expect nothing good about their new album, i'm not excited about it, and not looking forward to hear it...btw, that setlist was amazing, hope i'll get to see them live with a setlist like that (even better) soon...

look dudes what I try to mean is that the new Metallica style (if it's that new) isn't that bad for sure... I haven't followed the band since the very beginning and maybe I don't feel that mega-suposed-change from thrash to nu metal... but IMO their last albums ain't that bad dudes.. what I try yo mean is that this is going so far... everyone crictize Metallica even don't knowing why... is a fucking trend and I don't like that... u aren't been objective... I cannot believe that people who loves for example "Fade to Black" (like me ) don't like "St.Anger"!!! IS NOT THAT BAD!! maybe it's a little bit dissapointing that a great metal band has became into an average one... but average is not shit....
----

26.08.2006 - 18:57
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Dam3k on 26.08.2006 at 15:09

look dudes what I try to mean is that the new Metallica style (if it's that new) isn't that bad for sure... I haven't followed the band since the very beginning and maybe I don't feel that mega-suposed-change from thrash to nu metal... but IMO their last albums ain't that bad dudes.. what I try yo mean is that this is going so far... everyone crictize Metallica even don't knowing why... is a fucking trend and I don't like that... u aren't been objective... I cannot believe that people who loves for example "Fade to Black" (like me ) don't like "St.Anger"!!! IS NOT THAT BAD!! maybe it's a little bit dissapointing that a great metal band has became into an average one... but average is not shit....

hmm..dude, it's not that there's something wrong with us...it's just that everyone around here has different opinions and that's what make things interesting...it'll be like very boring if everybode around here said the same...if we critize metallica is because we've heard them, and because we know...i can speak for alot ppl around here, we r not going to talk about something that u dont know or havent listened...we r objective, maybe we don't agree with u but that doesn't mean we are incorrect or that this thread sucks...i like ALOT fade to black, but i dont like st anger, imo they r VERY different a that's my opinion...and i know, average is not shit, not all the great bands that have become average bands are shit, but there are some that have...im not saying this is metallica im talking about...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
26.08.2006 - 19:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
Though I think that their thrash period is by far their best, I still hope that they will play the "other" songs live. I love Metallica whether they are thrash, thrash hard-rock or nu.
----
26.08.2006 - 19:24
Dam3k
Written by nana.MD on 26.08.2006 at 18:57

Written by Dam3k on 26.08.2006 at 15:09

hmm..dude, it's not that there's something wrong with us...it's just that everyone around here has different opinions and that's what make things interesting...it'll be like very boring if everybode around here said the same...if we critize metallica is because we've heard them, and because we know...i can speak for alot ppl around here, we r not going to talk about something that u dont know or havent listened...we r objective, maybe we don't agree with u but that doesn't mean we are incorrect or that this thread sucks...i like ALOT fade to black, but i dont like st anger, imo they r VERY different a that's my opinion...and i know, average is not shit, not all the great bands that have become average bands are shit, but there are some that have...im not saying this is metallica im talking about...

well I really feel some things as u do, I see vids of the Metallica stuff in the 80s and omfg... it's emotional... that hair that kind of metal-level and now I check out some vids and their style it's quite disgusting but, all of u maybe don't like the new stuff that's right, but I think u extrapolate it and make a trend... :S
----

02.09.2006 - 11:56
deadman666
Account deleted
I think that Metallica peaked in 88 with and justice up to then from kill em all to justice they were getting better and better both in the studio and live. But in my opion Justice is probably the best metal album period. After that they set themselves an impossible task of trying to top it and have up to now failed. They have turned out dissapointing album after album with one or two decsent tracks but by no means as great as there previous. St anger was just over aggressive fast crap. Not using there talents they posses. The lyrics were to be fair good but it could have been so much better. But with all the turmoil they had in the band it is not that surprising really.
08.09.2006 - 22:26
Gothya
metallica has always played metal, i just dont understand why people doesnt like them after black album or ...ajfa, or maybe a reason could be cause they cut their hair on their latest albums, so people might think they are over, but that's no true, metallica has great stuff so far and just because they change their own style doesnt mean they dont play metal anymore, i mean wich of their songs is not metal? all of them are; they're always changing their style since their first album but always into metal so their music has been always metal
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS
08.09.2006 - 23:53
RavenLord
Written by Gothya on 08.09.2006 at 22:26

metallica has always played metal, i just dont understand why people doesnt like them after black album or ...ajfa, or maybe a reason could be cause they cut their hair on their latest albums, so people might think they are over, but that's no true, metallica has great stuff so far and just because they change their own style doesnt mean they dont play metal anymore, i mean wich of their songs is not metal? all of them are; they're always changing their style since their first album but always into metal so their music has been always metal

Mama Said.

Well, I'm not entirely against you on this one. I loved the Black Album, then was pretty lukewarm about it, and am growing to love it again, and I like Load/ReLoad, but I despise St. Anger. Just because it's 'metal' doesn't make it good. There are many bands that are not metal that I enjoy very much-I'm not one to say 'Metallica are shit because they're not metal anymore'. They're metal again (after a brief flirt with slightly lighter rock), but the fact is that I find it shit. The general consensus is not that change is bad, but that the change they took was not the greatest with regards to their fans. At the very least they could have continued the hard rock direction. But I'm rambling again.
----
09.09.2006 - 00:13
Gothya
RL
i know metal doesnt mean 'well done' i also know there are a lot of songs non metal wich are great, but my point was because of this

now, metallica has always played metal, no matter if most of the people didnt like st anger or load, reload, or if they talk bullshit about metallica 'cause that doesnt susprise me most people could say that, but i was talking about this, 'playing metal again just because metallica is playing most of their old stuff lately?' that's why i said, in their music they have been into metal all the time, right?
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS
14.09.2006 - 09:07
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i think that the new song is better than post black album stuff but i still dont think it is quite up to their 80's stuff, which is pure brilliant. maybe theyre getting ready for a final album that will rock!!!!!!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
14.09.2006 - 15:01
Warman
Erotic Stains
I actually think that Metallica will do a Sepultura (kind of), they have now released a lot of disliked albums but they're next album will be a pretty good one. Like when Sepultura suddenly released a good album (Dante XXI) after some bad Derrick Green albums.
But my own opinion is that it will be an amazing album since Metallica have only done good albums
----
15.09.2006 - 04:08
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
its kinda cool that they might make another album like and justice for all,However this might seem petty but they're not Exactly being very sincere about it. they see bands like Shadowsfall and the whole Thrash/extreme scene becoming popular again...so they're cashing in..but hey if its good..its good...if its not its not...Metallica already hit rock bottom... so the only direction they CAN go is up...