Metal Storm logo
Old vs. New In Flames

Original post

Posted by Olli, 03.12.2007 - 14:47
I've seen in real life and on these forums that alot of people have different opinions on In Flames new sound, some say that the introduction of Anders clean vocals were a good idea and other says that the new songs have weaker riffs. For me I can't decide, as I agree with both of these statements, but it would be interesting to see what other people think.

Poll

Do you prefer the new In Flames sound or the old?

Old
Equal
New

Total votes: 163
22.01.2008 - 22:41
deadset61
Account deleted
I think im speaking for everyone when i say old. The new stuff is just like anything out there. The old stuff had its own sound not many bands sounded like it. They are just like any other band out there right now. Unoriginal and money hungry.
25.01.2008 - 06:42
Uller
Old!!! the sold their souls....just like children of bodom, in flames now sounds like some "rude" junior nü
----
25.01.2008 - 18:29
Aebsi
Well for me I like both sounds, that could be explained in a way that I was basically introduced to the newer stuff and I kinda liked it, it at least got me interested. I wanted more and started finding older and older material and found that the old stuff was even better (cursed and lucky I guess to be able enjoy both).:noidea:
----
Just be Yourself
25.06.2008 - 00:35
The Thrasher
Account deleted
of course old i do not like the nu-metal shit they do
27.06.2008 - 23:37
FalseLobster
Account deleted
I voted equal. I'm quite fond of Anders singing style now, but I miss their old guitar work a bit. His new style may not be as 'heavy' as the old, but I wouldn't call it weak. In the newer albums his voice goes from an almost ephemeral scream to an anguished sounding clean style, both of which are easy to understand. I find myself singing/screaming along with In Flames more than most metal. I think it actually contributes some melody to the song that is missing due to the absence of the melodic guitar work. Their new guitar focuses on heavy rhythms that are cool, but not incredibly memorable. It's a different style, but I like 'em both.
28.06.2008 - 01:36
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, while this thread isn't as one sided as I thought it would be, it's still pretty one sided lol.

I voted old.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
28.06.2008 - 02:09
ß
Problem?
I voted old for obvious reasons.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
30.06.2008 - 18:35
austrianbastard
Account deleted
Written by [user id=26778] on 12.01.2008 at 13:13

never liked the old, and hate the new.

30.06.2008 - 18:53
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Voted old. The first 5 albums are just all great and have the original sound that can't be compared to anything.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
02.07.2008 - 22:32
Infurnace
The old In Flames definitely is a lot better than the new one. I don't hate the new In Flames, but it's just not the kind of music I can enjoy. The old In Flames is incredible. "The Jester Race" is a classic.
03.07.2008 - 21:05
Elio
Red Nightmare
the jester race and whoracle are still today among my favourite works of all times...today's stuff is shit...(i mean after clayman)
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
03.07.2008 - 21:46
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Elio on 03.07.2008 at 21:05

the jester race and whoracle are still today among my favourite works of all times...today's stuff is shit...(i mean after clayman)

I like some of the new stuff. specially some tracks on Come Clarity, but in general you are right, today's In Flames is not the band which can be compared with other melodic/gothenburg bands!

I liked new stuff, but new my opinion on this matter has changed, and I think older stuff are better!
03.07.2008 - 21:49
Ka Tet
I've never been a big In Flames fan, but I really liked Whoracle. Then when I was out looking for cd's one day I came across one of their newer ones and gave it a try.

I was sadly disappointed.

Needless to say I voted old.
04.07.2008 - 19:36
Kurzag
Account deleted
Old. Gave up In Flames after STYE. I listen some of the old stuff from time to time.
04.07.2008 - 22:30
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Old In Flames. Come on, do you really need to make a thread about this?

The songs are so much better and that is what it is, old songs are great.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.08.2008 - 03:46
thesabbathfan
I enjoy the new stuff, but the old stuff is the greatest.
----
26.08.2008 - 19:07
devildriver86
I voted old, their older music just was a lot more origanal and unique then what they are playing now.
27.08.2008 - 20:19
sq_xeper
Old definetely!!! new stuff its fucking gay as fuck!!!! stop with the winning and emo shit Anders!!!
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
17.11.2008 - 10:36
Metalbound7
Old by far. I love old and new in flames, new stuff is what get me into In Flames and i love post Clayman songs like Take this life. But yeah Old stuff is much better specially Jester race, Whoracle and Colony and the new album is really bad only good songs are Alias and Sleeples again but after a few listenings you get bored.
27.01.2009 - 18:45
In_tallica
The old albums that in flames did is the best shit ever imo. The Jester Race is the only album that i consider completely perfect. Although i respect that they tried out this new sound, I'm still a bit dissapointed that their music became SO much worse...
27.01.2009 - 18:56
Luciferion
Personally i enjoy both the New and Old In Flames. That being said, i do prefer older In Flames albums more, as it seemed that the albums were stronger then their newer material. Looking at their live performances (unfortunately i have only seen them after their Come Clarity was released), i think they perform their newer material better live, which is probably due to the fact that is what they are most comfortable with now.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
27.01.2009 - 18:58
Ragana
Rawrcat
I don't like any of these. New, old... by listening to In Flames I get bored anyway.
28.01.2009 - 01:03
Thrashard
Old In flames is the shit. I love Lunar Strain, Jester Race, Whoracle. Clayman etc. New In Flames is horrible alternative emotional shit.
28.01.2009 - 06:26
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Elio on 03.07.2008 at 21:05

I agree 100% with this
----
Coldgrits
28.01.2009 - 19:02
ForeverDarkWoods
There isn't even any competition. The old In Flames mutilates, molests and devours the new shit, as well as sodomizing it's babies at the same time.

New In Flames is some of the worst shit there is. They were good once, but not anymore.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
31.01.2009 - 22:09
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I guess I cant top the post above me lol
03.03.2009 - 08:43
ms68
What's your intention from new in flames?a sense of purpose or come clarity? last 2albums has not similarity.come clarity was a good album but sense of popularity was a bullshit album. but of course old in flames was better than new. there were more melodies, more riffs, more emotions, good lyrics and everything u want from melodeath. if u ask in flames' members what is better of course they will say old. because they know new album is just a business album and andres frieden became someone like axl rose in last album. someone who just want more popularity and never satisfy
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
03.03.2009 - 16:24
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by ms68 on 03.03.2009 at 08:43

if u ask in flames' members what is better of course they will say old.

No. They'll say new. Their drummer is a Linkin Park fan nowadays and they've said they don't even listen that much to (real) metal anymore since they find it boring. I believe I once read that Anders Friden called Lunar Strain a piece of shit (or could've been Jester Race) and that he was ashamed to ever have released it and a bunch of craptalk.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
03.03.2009 - 20:25
ms68
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 03.03.2009 at 16:24

No. They'll say new. Their drummer is a Linkin Park fan nowadays and they've said they don't even listen that much to (real) metal anymore since they find it boring. I believe I once read that Anders Friden called Lunar Strain a piece of shit (or could've been Jester Race) and that he was ashamed to ever have released it and a bunch of craptalk.

Daniel Svensson is just drummer in band and nerver does a thing for band but drum.
but about andres frieden i think what u said is kind of rumor from new-in flames-fans because a musician never criticize against himself whereas jester race is one of the melodeath albums and still people buy that. besides i have a dvd concert from 2004. they played more their oldsongs than newsongs.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
03.03.2009 - 21:01
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by ms68 on 03.03.2009 at 20:25

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 03.03.2009 at 16:24

Daniel Svensson is just drummer in band and nerver does a thing for band but drum.
but about andres frieden i think what u said is kind of rumor from new-in flames-fans because a musician never criticize against himself whereas jester race is one of the melodeath albums and still people buy that. besides i have a dvd concert from 2004. they played more their oldsongs than newsongs.

Maybe, but I'm actually quite sure I read this in an official interview (prior to the release of Come Clarity IIRC). They've defin itely said that the new stuff is better though. That much I can sure as hell vouch for and I'd prolly be able to drag up a bunch of interviews where they say the new stuff is better and that they're quite uninterested in metal nowadays.
----