Metal Storm logo
Death vs. Sepultura

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 29.10.2010 - 13:18
Who is a better band in your opinion? I myself prefer Death, as they have better songs/albums and such (Symbolic, Human etc.) which i think are incredible. Sepultura im not a big fan of, and some of their songs are pretty bad. Whats your opinion?

Poll

Which is a better band in your opinion?

Death
Sepultura
Too hard to decide
I dont like either

Total votes: 220
24.11.2010 - 19:08
Hamird
Lieutenant
Voted for Sepultura, since I personally had a lot of moments with Sepultura. I mean my choice is completely personal. Well I can say that some of Death's songs are extremely boring, something which can't be set for Sepultura in my opinion.
But why should we compare them anyway? I mean nothing between them is common really, except being Extreme!
27.11.2010 - 19:48
blackdoomy
I voted for Death ..
28.11.2010 - 07:24
OF COURSE DEATH!!!!!!! WTF!!!!

I do like Sepultura but they're just an average Thrash band to me, plus new Sepultura sucks.
28.11.2010 - 18:45
Death for sure !!
30.11.2010 - 20:10
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yes Yes.. for me, Its Death of course

But I don't really understand the battle here... Since Sepultura Is Thrash Metal and Death.. is... Death Metal
Anyways, I believe theres not so much to compare between those two bands, yes they're extreme with extreme vocals but
thats about it, the sound is totally different. I love Sepultura but I would never compare them to a band such as Death.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
03.12.2010 - 08:37
What the hell. Death of course. How is this even an issue? I don't actually know how you can compare these two bands. Sure, in theory - scribbled on a piece of paper - it seems almost plausible. But in practice? Specious at best. It just doesn't make any sense.
10.01.2011 - 19:20
Both great bands. Beneath the Remains and Arise are two of my favorite thrash albums ever made, but every Death album is gold so there ya go
20.01.2011 - 17:37
bandido
What kind of question is this ? They're way to different to compare... what are you people going to ask now, who's better britney or deicide?
----
"Rockin' every single piece of metal..."
20.01.2011 - 19:08
I would vote for Death, seeing as they released much more complex and consistent albums, however I think it's sort of rubbish to compare Death and Sepultura. They're both great in their respective genres but they're really too different to really compare. Sepultura did thrash really well on their first 3 albums and they also made some great groove metal on Chaos AD. I actually liked Roots since it was just a good sort of experimental album. I know a lot of people don't like that one since it's really nu-metal influenced, but it's the album Max picked up from when he made the first album with Soulfly. I haven't really heard Sepultura's new albums without Max but I haven't heard many good things about them.

Death on the other hand, never released any bad or questionable albums. Each album was classic I think. Sound of Perseverance was my favorite by them.
04.05.2011 - 17:32
algirdongas
I agree death is so better than sepultura.BTW sepultura are currently sellouts so even mentioning them is bad
04.05.2011 - 20:20
Bulletdodger
Sepultura for me. Death is much better at actually playing and have much more diversity, but Sepultura has(or had) the unique uplifting brutal sound that is characteristic for metal.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
04.05.2011 - 20:27
Yasmine
Brutality is an awful way to measure a bands quality, lol. Obviously Death.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
05.05.2011 - 01:08
Doom Trooper
Too hard for me to decide. They are both 2 of my favorite bands of all time. I don't even know how to compare them against each other.
05.05.2011 - 03:51
Hellios
Account deleted
This is a no contest, It's Death, you can see the progression and Chuck's immense talent in every album from scream bloody gore to the sound of perseverance , While Sepultura's first 4 album were great from the classic black metal pioneering "Morbid Visions" to the death thrash "Schizophrenia" and then the thrash metal essentials "Beneath the Remains" and "Arise", but then came CHAOS A.D and ROOTS which is too commercial and radio friendly.

If Sepultura retired after the 1st 4 albums MAYBE they can match up with Death's legacy, but Sepultura's credibility was gone with the sell out crap they put out starting with CHAOS AD up until now.
05.05.2011 - 04:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Agreed. Sepultura's integrity suffered from their lack of consistency, whereas Death continued to improve as the years passed (structurally at least, I prefer the sound of Death's first two albums).

Who knows what would have happened though. Death could have turned to shit just the same.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.05.2011 - 07:24
blacktooth85
Written by algirdongas on 04.05.2011 at 17:32

I agree death is so better than sepultura.BTW sepultura are currently sellouts so even mentioning them is bad

Currently sellouts? They definitely aren't as good as they used to be, but they never sold out. Especially their last couple albums, and the new album should be killer. Roots through Nation might be their weakest efforts, but it's not like they were ever "Metallica" sellouts.

Anyway this match is too close to call. Death obviously has more better albums. But Arise and Beneath the Remains are 2 of my all time favorites.
05.05.2011 - 08:55
Yasmine
Too close to call? Nope, 103 to 27.........total knock out by Death.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
06.05.2011 - 04:02
Void_Eater
Account deleted
At their peaks, Sepultura was better, in my humble and always correct opinion, However, Sepultura fucked up their legacy with Roots and every album afterwards. I enjoy every death release on the other hand.
06.05.2011 - 04:18
blacktooth85
Written by Yasmine on 05.05.2011 at 08:55

Too close to call? Nope, 103 to 27.........total knock out by Death.

Yeah i know what the score is. I'm talkin about who I would vote for. I can't decide, Even though Chaos Ad, 1993, was Sepultura's last decent effort, Arise and Beneath the Remains are 2 of my all time favorites like i said. Schizophrenia fuckin' smokes too. Death's discography is definitely better though.
09.05.2011 - 00:36
king_matt
Death by far. And why are people saying they're too different to decide? Sepultura are thrash/groove/death, while Death is obviously death metal. Pretty similar if you ask me.

Also, I don't get all the hate for Roots. I like that album. Sure it's too long with many fillers, but it's a solid album imo.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
17.05.2011 - 01:00
Ghostdancer
Death.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
20.05.2011 - 15:09
Razorback
Maybe not the best choice of bands to compare,but even if i really respect Death and all their work i voted Sepultura,i listening to them since i am into metal music.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
20.05.2011 - 15:21
Bulletdodger
Finally another vote for Sepultura
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
30.06.2011 - 01:05
Damshak
Death. They have better solos, better voice and are mas famous
30.06.2011 - 05:20
blacktooth85
Written by Pap on 29.10.2010 at 15:15

Sepultura have released 3 awesome albums (Beneath the remains, Arise and Chaos AD), 1 decent album (Schizophrenia), 1 album which is innovative but musically uninspired (Roots) and a great - unfortunately - number of tragic records including all their releases after Max left the band as well as their debut EP and LP. On the contrary Death are the absolute fathers of Death Metal- though Possessed fans won't agree with me - and they were evolving their sound from work to work. I find no dilemma in this question

Schizophrenia >>>>>> Chaos AD
30.06.2011 - 20:10
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Death, of course. On their old material, they were far better than Sepultura. And come to look at Sepultura's recent fuck-ups of what they call albums, especially "Kairos", Death wins this by ease.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
03.04.2012 - 19:15
Death is far better than Sepultura. In fact, Death is one of the best death metal bands.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
03.04.2012 - 23:39
bran
Death
they just released constant great albums, sepultura while a great band have been putting out alot of crap since 1993 IMO
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
04.04.2012 - 12:00
adace1
Sepultura have some good stuff, especially during the Cavalera era, but they still don't beat Death. Roots and Chaos AD simply can't compare to legendary albums like Symbolic and TSoP.
08.04.2012 - 18:59
Sentinel65
Both bands are very good, but Sepultura doesn't have enough great albums to compete with Death's discography.