Metal Storm logo
Mayhem

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.11.2006 - 22:30
No official Mayhem thread? Weird.

You all know the band, no need for an introduction. Discuss all Mayhem stuff here.

First, I'd like to start off with a question. Is anyone of you familiar with their live album Live In Zeitz?
I came across it lately, and was wondering if it is good. No, I am not talking about Live In Leipzig. Live In Zeitz has Dead on vocals, so I thought it would be nice to have that one, since there is not much of Dead besides Live In Leipzig and the Morbid/Mayhem split 'A Tribute To The Black Emperors'. Thank you!
10.02.2007 - 22:07
Dead Ohlin
Mo.Panahi
Dead is without a doubt the best - no, the definitive - Mayhem vocalist,
and one of the best in the genre.
R.I.P Dead Ohlin
----
A man's dead body must always
have been a source of interest to
those whose companion he was while he lived ...
10.02.2007 - 22:38
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yes, Dead is best Mayhem vocalist but I still think that DMDS is their best album, beside Dead Mayhem had many great vocalists, best of the genre
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.02.2007 - 07:30
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Yeah but Dead was definitely my favorite vocalist of the lot.. Amazing vocals and so much bleeding too..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
11.02.2007 - 13:55
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Tomorrow night at 8 there is going to be an unofficial tribute concert to Necrobutcher. I am with the organizers and one of the others say that Necrobutcher will be making an appearance as well. Its at the student building that is directly opposite Nidaros-Domen in Trondhiem. Its not a very big show but all are free to come. Entrance at the side gate..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
11.02.2007 - 14:02
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Himann on 11.02.2007 at 13:55

Tomorrow night at 8 there is going to be an unofficial tribute concert to Necrobutcher. I am with the organizers and one of the others say that Necrobutcher will be making an appearance as well. Its at the student building that is directly opposite Nidaros-Domen in Trondhiem. Its not a very big show but all are free to come. Entrance at the side gate..

I want to live in Norway
11.02.2007 - 14:10
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I like the older Mayhem albums, especially their "DE Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", its a masterpiece for me.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
11.02.2007 - 14:23
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by [user id=5394] on 11.02.2007 at 14:02

I want to live in Norway

Me too ! (a joke, and not because I hate my country!)
----
that which shines without names and forms...
11.02.2007 - 18:38
Angelstorm
Account deleted

My friends and I are planning on going. I heard about this and even though its a small show comparatively, there's some buzz about Necrobutcher actually coming there. PM me, we can meet there or something.
12.02.2007 - 07:48
Himann
Orm KrigGud
The following is what Necrobutcher says about the issue with Varg and Euronymous;

Øystein was always sending death threats to people,' says Necro Butcher. 'It was his reaction to everything. But he didn't put so much into it. And then when he met you, he was like, "OK. You're cool!". Then you were best friends. So when eventually he got to be unfriendly with Varg, he threatened him like he did everyone else. Øystein told him, "I'm going to send some people to torture you. Until you die." But Varg Vikernes saw this as a real threat. He probably thought, "better him than me.

This is pretty much what Varg says in the Burzum story as well so we can assume its probably true.

The following is a bit about Maniac from the same source:

Another frontman, called Maniac, left the band in 2004 through mutual consent. But not before Blasphemer had made his displeasure known, at what he felt was Maniac's lack of commitment, by kicking him down a flight of stairs as they came off stage - and twice slamming his head facefirst into a wall. 'Blasphemer actually came and asked my permission beforehand,' an amused Necro Butcher confides. 'Maniac had terrible stage fright. He'd get so drunk beforehand that he couldn't remember the words.' Perhaps not surprisingly, that was his last show.

The following is about Dead and what happened when he was around.

'When Dead first arrived in Norway, Necro Butcher took it upon himself to make sure their new singer had somewhere to live and was looked after. Euronymous, on the other hand, apparently did his best to make him feel uncomfortable. 'He tried to psych him out,' says Necro Butcher. 'He would tell Dead, "We don't like you. You should just kill yourself." Stuff like that.'

And then, one day in the spring of 1991, Dead did just that. Euronymous came back to their house to discover his body slumped against a wall. He had slashed his wrists with a butcher's knife and blown his brains out with a shotgun. His suicide note had a morbid humour . It read, 'Excuse all the blood. Let the party begin.' For reasons best known to himself, Euronymous took pictures of Dead's remains before notifying the police.

'Øystein called me up the next day,' recalls Necro Butcher, 'and says, "Dead has done something really cool! He killed himself." I thought, have you lost it? What do you mean cool? He says, "Relax, I have photos of everything." I was in shock and grief. He was just thinking how to exploit it. So I told him, "OK. Don't even fucking call me before you destroy those pictures."'

Several years later a lurid photo of Dead, lying in a shabby room in which the only splash of colour was provided by his blood, somehow found its way onto the cover of a Mayhem bootleg produced in South America. By resigning as bassist of Mayhem, Necro Butcher fatefully left his position open for Varg Vikernes, Euronymous's eventual killer, to enter the picture.

'In retrospect,' Butcher muses. 'I think Øystein was shocked by Dead's suicide. And taking the photograph was the only way he could cope with it, like, "if I have to see this, then everybody else has to see it too".'
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
12.02.2007 - 08:02
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by [user id=20559] on 11.02.2007 at 18:38

My friends and I are planning on going. I heard about this and even though its a small show comparatively, there's some buzz about Necrobutcher actually coming there. PM me, we can meet there or something.

Spoke to everyone and there's no fuss with the tickets. See you guys there!!

@Basso and PaganBlood, some guys are planning to make a video somehow if they are sober lol. Will try and get this video for you guys somehow and hope it makes u feel a bit better heh..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
12.02.2007 - 12:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Himann.

You know, reading all that.. I am really getting the feeling that all those people just needed a bit more love and attention from their moms..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.02.2007 - 13:08
Himann
Orm KrigGud
@Nervel, specially Euronymous lol. But i think she was really upset abt Varg's name being on DMDS. And Dead was homesick so he probably missed his mom rather than not having enough love and attention lol.. Anyway I had an awesome time reading through the source of this. There was so many details abt other bands and stuff too. Have a show tonight and about to leave for it. Its kinda a Necrobutcher tribute and sounds so awesome that everyone's started drinking already even though its still work hours.
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
12.02.2007 - 15:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yeah, I read that. Have fun, and maybe the man who was always in the shadows in the only one sane (and alive. )

Then I'll rather be in the shadows too.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.02.2007 - 07:33
Angelstorm
Account deleted
Show was awesome last night and Necrobutcher turned up as well. He played bass for 3 songs towards the end and threw one of the pigs head to the audience although he said he wouldn't lol. He played on Necrolust, Pure ****ing Armageddon and another track(cant remember) while drinking moonshine all the time.

@Himann: loved the bass and the party after that was really good too really good show and great to hang out with all of you alcoholics lol. PS: thanks for the tickets.
13.02.2007 - 12:11
Himann
Orm KrigGud
@Nervel, I actually saw the guy up close and he seems more like a fun loving guy than a guy in the shadows. Anyway being in the shadows sounds better lol. Anyway hes the only one sane and alive as you said.

@Angelstorm, no probs. You people left halfway through the party though!! It was just starting up over there. By the way, you were probably the most sober person in the hall lol! By the way you guys made the place look really nice heh!

Anyway Butcher played in three tracks and the other track was Deathcrush. Everyone was jealous of the guy who got the head but thats typical of a Mayhem concert although this wasn't one..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
13.02.2007 - 22:01
Angelstorm
Account deleted
Ah I knew it was something like that, Deathcrush huh. You guys drink way too much lol (specially you). Thanks for the compliment lol. People were saying the Kvitfavn (spelling?) was there as well although I never saw him. We left cause it was a school night and 2am is not early lol.

I was really happy that I wasn't covered in blood. Any idea why these Mayhem guys do the pigs head thing? Is it just for the image or does it mean something like death to traitors?
14.02.2007 - 18:13
Basso
Account deleted
Well I think the pighead thing is just for entertainment nowadays. I mean it isnt to unusual that black metal lovers have a disturbed sense of humor when it comes to violence and gore.

I myself am a proud lover of gore and violence for the sake of entertainment, and would love to see more stageshows involving acts like the ones mayhem put up.
15.02.2007 - 05:16
Himann
Orm KrigGud
I agree. I think it also has become a bit of a norm now. I doubt its for their image. I mean Mayhem dont really need anything much to spur on their image.
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
15.02.2007 - 05:40
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Thats quite possible and I would have agreed except that their last 2 albums or so haven't really been anything remotely like their old stuff. Now that Atilla's back however they may sound a bit more DMDS.
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
15.02.2007 - 09:31
Marilin
Account deleted
I really hope their new stuff would sounds like DMDS For me it is the best that Mayhem has done!
15.02.2007 - 14:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
For me too. I have some serious doubts if they can do it, though. And if they could, musically.. the metal-world will look upon it differently.. no doubt.
----

15.02.2007 - 15:18
Sunioj
The track they put up sounded promising IMO, I just want to know how that reflects the rest of their new release when that comes out.
15.02.2007 - 15:25
Etn_KlrJ
Account deleted
Deathcrush is so good ^^
I love the evolution from Deathcrush to DMDS !! They create their own visions
But I'm sad because I don't understand "grand declaration of war" and the following albums :/
15.02.2007 - 19:45
Angelstorm
Account deleted
I listened to Anti, I think someone posted it and it does sound a bit promising. I dont think the song writing will be that good but the overall sound may not be so bad. Cor will somehow try and get the new album if I have cash!
15.02.2007 - 21:12
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Yeah I though so as well. It could be really good. Then again, we have to wait and see as the idea that they will be coming up with an album like DMDS is almost too good to be true. We can always hope for the best.
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
17.02.2007 - 06:15
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Question: does anybody here knows any information about Blasphemer's sexual orientation? Is he homosexual?
----
Christless
17.02.2007 - 06:15
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Question: does anybody here knows any information about Blasphemer's sexual orientation? Is he homosexual?
----
Christless
19.02.2007 - 13:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I got no idea.

Where does a question like that come from? What makes you think he is?
----

20.02.2007 - 05:24
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
It isn't as if I am coming with this idea out of nowhere, you know? Perhaps it isn't enough reason to consider that Blasphemer has this sexual preference, but, if you take a look at the Black Metal Documentary from the Norwegian TV program Lydverket and from the European Legions DVD, you will see that Blasphemer has these manners, these way of expressing himself with movements and gestures such as when moving his hair, the way he acts when he is sitting, and the way he puts up the paint in his face, that make you believe that these gestures may be a reflection of his sexuality.

Not all homosexuals behave this way, I know, and all the men that behave this way are not necessarily bound to be classified as such, I also know, but since the thought came to my mind I am trying to either accept or deny that possibility and thus I am asking you people here if you know something about his sexuality.
----
Christless
20.02.2007 - 14:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Ok, I thought your hopes and fantasies took you on a drift. just kidding.

Well, I haven't seen both programmes, so I can't answer it, sorry.
----