Metal Storm logo
Slipknot vs Lordi - Mask issue

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 09.02.2007 - 18:06
Although each band has a different musical style and public image, both bands wear masks. The masks are not similar, since Lordi wear a full costume and Slipknot usually simple masks with jumpsuits... Both costumes/masks are homemade and both bands tried to keep their true identity secret...
This whole conversation started with a friend of mine who's a fan of Slipknot and eventually it got serious, so here I am, asking for your opinion. What do you think?
Of course there's the GWAR case too...

Poll

Who originally started the mask thing in your opinion?

GWAR started the whole thing!
I don't care! Both suck!
Slipknot
Lordi

Total votes: 116
25.03.2008 - 13:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I forgot Crimson Glory damn now i shood change all my posts bedcause from grimm think I prefere CG
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.06.2008 - 22:37
Macedonia
Account deleted
Why are the masks so important???The both of bands are good not cause of their masks!
07.06.2008 - 21:57
Torture Killer
Account deleted
i think the whole keeping their identitys secret was started by kiss, they just wear masks
16.11.2008 - 12:29
Metalbound7
Haha so you included GWAR, then my vote go for GWAR of course! GWAR is just far superior than Lordi and Slipknot suck big donkey balls.
16.11.2008 - 13:49
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I'm not that familiar with Gwar, but I would say that they started the mask thing. But anyway I'm no fan of Lordi or Slipknot, but I do prefer Lordi if I have to listen to one of them
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.03.2009 - 00:42
metalhead3
Why they need that masks,it's stupid to sing with masks,ok if you draw something on your face,but masks.masks don't have any connection with music (metal)
21.03.2009 - 14:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Music (metal) is this, what people who are making it will made from it...so...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.04.2009 - 03:27
Nardy7
Both look pretty unique, but Lordi's are more intense.
19.04.2009 - 08:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Nardy7 on 19.04.2009 at 03:27

Both look pretty unique, but Lordi's are more intense.

they are pretty much a rip off of GWAR, who have been around since the 80's...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.04.2009 - 09:36
tulkas
el parcero
Written by metalhead3 on 21.03.2009 at 00:42

Why they need that masks,it's stupid to sing with masks,ok if you draw something on your face,but masks.masks don't have any connection with music (metal)

don't mean to be disrespectuf, but areyou familair with what a mask may simbolize? or what those bands were aiming with wearing masks or full body costumes like Lordi? sure, for some it may be part of a 'show', but it can be a lot more. try to look deeper into stuff and the meaning it may have. just an advice
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
19.04.2009 - 14:28
Smurfophagist
The poll says it all. They both suck.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
20.04.2009 - 00:11
Wyrd
Uh? Mushroom Head?
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
20.04.2009 - 00:43
Ragana
Rawrcat
I was trying to be as original as I could but fuck, I don't care. But I gotta say I like more the masks of Lordi.
20.04.2009 - 05:42
ToMegaTherion
Disregarding the fact that I'm not a fan of either band, they whole mask thing is actually really lame. Seriously it adds nothing to enhance their stage image or their live shows, in fact it makes them look ridiculous. I must admit it is actually a fairly big turn off for a lot of bands for me. It's almost like they are trying to hide something.
20.04.2009 - 15:44
tulkas
el parcero
Written by ToMegaTherion on 20.04.2009 at 05:42

Disregarding the fact that I'm not a fan of either band, they whole mask thing is actually really lame. Seriously it adds nothing to enhance their stage image or their live shows, in fact it makes them look ridiculous. I must admit it is actually a fairly big turn off for a lot of bands for me. It's almost like they are trying to hide something.

well, that is the point of the masks or dress-ups or whatever make up thing, turning themselves into someone else. but i do get the fact that some may not like it. i think it is a good concept, as long as it's used for what it is and not just for esthetic crap
----
20.04.2009 - 20:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

It's almost like they are trying to hide something.

like their identities? so they can still live a "regular" life offstage, perhaps?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.04.2009 - 21:46
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Actually, as far as I know, in rock music, Peter Gabriel was the first to use the mask thing.

Also, Ogre from Skinny Puppy wore his meat costumes way before GWAR learned to form papier mache...
20.04.2009 - 22:05
tulkas
el parcero
Written by jupitreas on 20.04.2009 at 21:46

Also, Ogre from Skinny Puppy wore his meat costumes way before GWAR learned to form papier mache...

wow, that one is pretty amazing. i'd never heard of them beofre, but according to wikipedia, they are in fact 2-3year prior to Gwar. but i was thinking, if it comes to the whole make up and costume thing, wouldn't Alice Cooper count as well? and he is prior to these. but i guess he was more for the show and the performing of stage, but still could've been some source of inspiration, right?
----
20.04.2009 - 22:14
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by tulkas on 20.04.2009 at 22:05

but i was thinking, if it comes to the whole make up and costume thing, wouldn't Alice Cooper count as well? and he is prior to these. but i guess he was more for the show and the performing of stage, but still could've been some source of inspiration, right?

Certainly, although Alice, just like Kiss, seems somewhat different. Maybe because ha was a specific, singular and concise character.
21.04.2009 - 02:40
ToMegaTherion
Written by BitterCOld on 20.04.2009 at 20:41

It's almost like they are trying to hide something.

like their identities? so they can still live a "regular" life offstage, perhaps?

But everyone already know what Corey Taylor looks like so it kind of failed miserably if that is indeed the case. In some cases sure i can understand that, but when it is purely just to try an make themselves look tough, it really is lame.
21.04.2009 - 02:43
ToMegaTherion
Written by tulkas on 20.04.2009 at 15:44

well, that is the point of the masks or dress-ups or whatever make up thing, turning themselves into someone else. but i do get the fact that some may not like it. i think it is a good concept, as long as it's used for what it is and not just for esthetic crap

But why be something that your not. I can understand is black metal where it is more or less for showmanship to create the atmosphere of not being human. But as i said in my previous post, the whole tough guy hiding their identity thing is a bit of a lame excuse.
21.04.2009 - 05:46
tulkas
el parcero
Written by ToMegaTherion on 21.04.2009 at 02:43

But why be something that your not. I can understand is black metal where it is more or less for showmanship to create the atmosphere of not being human. But as i said in my previous post, the whole tough guy hiding their identity thing is a bit of a lame excuse.

well, i guess this kindof conversation is the type of converstaion that goes on foever and never reaches anywhere but i still think it is a good concept. you can be someone else when you go and perform on stage. wearing a mask sets you apart form who you are and you can become anything you want to be. imo that's the whole thing, not some lme excuse for i don't know what
----
21.04.2009 - 13:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ToMegaTherion on 21.04.2009 at 02:43

Written by tulkas on 20.04.2009 at 15:44

According to this reasoning bands also shouldn't dress differently on stage compared to real life.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.04.2009 - 01:53
Wyrd
All of these bands are just trying to be like Kiss.

And Slipknot is the biggest load of horse Cum I have ever seen!
----
24.04.2009 - 03:08
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Wyrd on 24.04.2009 at 01:53

I'm not so sure about that. What makes you think that, if I may ask?

Because...
----
24.04.2009 - 04:11
GULCH OF ROT
I THINK IT IS POINTLESS TO WEAR MASKS JUST SOUND GOOD AND I WILL BE HAPPY
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
27.04.2009 - 01:11
Wyrd
Written by tulkas on 24.04.2009 at 03:08

I'm not so sure about that. What makes you think that, if I may ask?

Because...

What makes me think that you ask? Because if my band sucked as much as Slipknot and Lordi, I'd be looking for a something to draw attention away from my shity music and song writing too, and what better way of doing that then using Kiss' idea of dressing up in costumes.

And why is Slipknot a load of horse cum? It's because everywhere I go and everyone I met thinks there a metal head because they have one Slipknot T-shirt that they bought at the mall and talk about how super
Fucking awesome Slipknot is, and then is i say "Then way not go to one of there shows if there soo good" and of course there to scared to go because it's to extreme. But it is really because there Fucking posers, and the only Metal bands they have ever heard of is Slipknot, Metallica and Disturbed.
----
27.04.2009 - 03:04
tulkas
el parcero
@falconer: well, first of all, like jupitreas showed above, dressing up wasn't a concept that Kiss came with.sure, they were 'revolutionaries' on the subject or someting, or made it popular, whatever, but it's not like they came up with that and everyone else that does it is copying them.
and i think you may be mistaking what a bad band is. having poser fans doesn't make a bad shitty. otherwise i guess all metal bands would be shitty, because sadly ther's too many posers out there. and you should check their lyrics, really read them well, understand them, and then have an opinion to say why they are shitty.
----
27.04.2009 - 03:22
Galar
Wicked Mung
I dont care they both suck. seriously, nuff said.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
29.04.2009 - 02:23
Wyrd
Written by tulkas on 27.04.2009 at 03:04

@falconer: well, first of all, like jupitreas showed above, dressing up wasn't a concept that Kiss came with.sure, they were 'revolutionaries' on the subject or someting, or made it popular, whatever, but it's not like they came up with that and everyone else that does it is copying them.
and i think you may be mistaking what a bad band is. having poser fans doesn't make a bad shitty. otherwise i guess all metal bands would be shitty, because sadly ther's too many posers out there. and you should check their lyrics, really read them well, understand them, and then have an opinion to say why they are shitty.

let it go man, I hate slipknot. and I have read some there lyrics and there Retarded, no offense to the mentally ill.
----