Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
24.03.2007 - 14:01
darksun
I think the most difficult genre is thrash cuz people can find it a bit boring and repetetive at first listening though it is among the greatest things in the metal world
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
24.03.2007 - 14:04
Carrion
Account deleted
Doom metal would be that genre for me. It's even painful to listen to sometimes! But there are many good bands in this genre, it just takes time and time getting into them.
24.03.2007 - 15:54
Vunts
-core music for me, generally. Some bands pull the music off in a way i enjoy, but most have an appalling vocal style and since i consider vocals to be one of the main musical instrument (well...it's the loudest sound in songs, so it makes sense), i don't listen to them alot.

I also think that death metal is more difficult than black metal. Black metal is more oriented towards creating an atmosphere, whereas death metal just pounds away at you. I say this because that's how it worked for me. I liked death metal a long time ago, but just recently i've started fully appreciating it and noticing the little things.
24.03.2007 - 17:18
SteTech
Written by darksun on 24.03.2007 at 14:01

I think the most difficult genre is thrash cuz people can find it a bit boring and repetetive at first listening though it is among the greatest things in the metal world

I totally agree, thrash was the last sub-genre I managed to appreciate, now I love it!
24.03.2007 - 17:40
..HumanError..
Account deleted
Hmmm... Id rather say Black Metal. It took me two years to get into that . I couldnt bear the vocals before. But now its ok.. my ears got used to it, and i like it.
But, it's surprising to read that people consider Thrash as a diffucult genre to get into... I started listening to that right after my Industrial period. I think Thrash is even the easiest genre to get into... its fast and catchy...and the vocals are usually not too harsh..
24.03.2007 - 18:35
Baz Anderson
Staff
well I suppose it differs from person to person which genré is harder to get into..
for myself progressive and avant-garde stuff was the harder stuff to get into that I do actually like now.. I can enjoy progressive metal now
for myself, I cant stand gothic metal or doom metal - so they would be the hardest for me I guess..
but like I said it will differ for individuals
24.03.2007 - 23:24
Ernis
狼獾
I think that avant-garde is indeed a tough genre for lots of people. When I bought my first Aesma Daeva album, I liked some parts of it but the rest was at first too hard for me to understand thoroughly....it sounded abnormal and strange....too many shades at first so I couldn't differ the all kinds of aspects it had....But now Aesma Daeva is one of my most favourite bands....however...I don't claim their music suits every mood...its rather specific...for example an aqcuaintance of mine was rather shocked when she heard Aesma Daeva and she still thinks of it as of some sort of stupid medieval classical boring chamber orchestra with weird sound effects......

Extreme metal has never been difficult for me to get into....I always liked it....I don't listen to it often on CDs....this sort of music is best in live...that's a fact.....
25.03.2007 - 03:16
l33t_sas
Account deleted
For me it would be brutal death, first wave of black metal and grindcore. I still haven't gotten into them yet
25.03.2007 - 08:53
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by [user id=22600] on 25.03.2007 at 03:16

For me it would be brutal death, first wave of black metal and grindcore. I still haven't gotten into them yet

brutal death and raw(first wave?) black metal ... I've finally entered these two, but it took me about an year to do get into it.. since I myself don't like grindcore I don't suggest you to listen to it, but about B-DM and R-BM, you'll get into those after certain time (gradually), but only if you have interest in them.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
26.03.2007 - 02:51
Corvus
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 24.03.2007 at 23:24

I think that avant-garde is indeed a tough genre for lots of people. When I bought my first Aesma Daeva album [..]

As I know - Aesma Daeva is considered as darkwave not avant-garde. Avant-garde is David Thomas, John Cage and like that.
26.03.2007 - 19:23
Ernis
狼獾
Right....I knew AD was darkwave...however...when I read some people's opinions about them then I heard them called avant-garde once....hence the reason....
28.03.2007 - 23:13
Sunioj
Written by Paganblood on 25.03.2007 at 08:53

Written by [user id=22600] on 25.03.2007 at 03:16

brutal death and raw(first wave?) black metal ... I've finally entered these two, but it took me about an year to do get into it.. since I myself don't like grindcore I don't suggest you to listen to it, but about B-DM and R-BM, you'll get into those after certain time (gradually), but only if you have interest in them.

I second that as well, it was hard for me to get into raw BM, but eventually on a grim and frostbitten day it clicked and it sounds great....which my point is that atmosphere is key, if you are in the right mood, it will click with you too.
29.03.2007 - 23:08
Philaenas
Account deleted
Actually, for me personally it was quite hard to get into power and progressive metal. At first I couldn't stand the high-pitched vocals. Then suddenly it turned around and I almost exclusively listen to this stuff. Dream Theater, Circus Maximus, Kamelot, Angra, DragonForce and Freedom Call being among my current favourite bands. I have come to appreciate it very much. Other genres I find it very hard to get into, and still haven't 'cause I'm not really willing to try, are grindcore and black metal. This music just annoys me...
30.03.2007 - 02:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Prog can be really hard to get into, it takes alot of patience to get used to, sitting through a 12 minute song can get tedious, especially if your not particularly interested in the band.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.03.2007 - 15:13
SteTech
Doom metal is another for me, particularly traditional doom like Sabbath and Candlemass, it just doesn't do anything for me
30.03.2007 - 17:05
Harikiri
Account deleted
Personally, I think Alternative Metal is very hard to get into. My friend told me about this band called "Betty X"...So I bought their album. Almost every song was the same. Playing music myself, it had no musical compostion whatsoever. It sounded like a bunch of shit in like 5 off the wall key signatures. I didn't even think it was metal (after listening to Tiamat and Emperor).

Oh, and this is my first post. ^^
30.03.2007 - 20:16
nihan
i think post metal. isis, neurosis, pelican etc.

but now i like them..
30.03.2007 - 20:42
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@nihan: Post metal? All of those bands you mentioned belong to a sub genre of metal called "atmospheric hardcore"
30.03.2007 - 21:13
nihan
@Kap'n Korrupt: thanks for the info
31.03.2007 - 00:04
Crow_Princess
Power metal!!!
Damn, I will never understand it.. I can't listen to it in fact... I have cramps when I hear Power metal...
It difficult for me to understand Brutal Death...

But I have no problems with Doom... Especially with Funeral Doom...
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*
02.04.2007 - 04:33
Corvus
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2084] on 30.03.2007 at 20:42

@nihan: Post metal? All of those bands you mentioned belong to a sub genre of metal called "atmospheric hardcore"

Those bands indeed contain some elements of progressive metal, industrial, art metal and another stuff, but is widely considered that - Isis, Neurosis, Cult of Luna IS post-metal.
02.04.2007 - 06:07
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Of course its Black Metal, because people just arent kvlt enough to get it

You may also consider Nu metal as the hardest one to get into, at last for some one who knows what true metal is
----
02.04.2007 - 08:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by [user id=22623] on 02.04.2007 at 04:33

Written by [user id=2084] on 30.03.2007 at 20:42

Those bands indeed contain some elements of progressive metal, industrial, art metal and another stuff, but is widely considered that - Isis, Neurosis, Cult of Luna IS post-metal.

I believe the term atmospheric hardcore to be a more representative name for those three bands who helped to pave the way for said sub-genre of metal. The three bands in discussion are hardcore and tend to have many moments of "ambient/atmospheric quiet" parts which are fused together quite well. I would believe that the term 'post metal' is not a sufficient term to use for these bands as post metal is a description of metal bands that use musical elements that do not usually appear in metal. I would suggest that you leave the term post metal to refer to the more eclectic metal bands. The description that many informative websites give to the term post metal I find most incorrect.

EDIT: This is not the Genre Definitions thread...if you would like to debate this further, I would be more than happy to in that thread...however, I made my point...
03.04.2007 - 03:15
APOHAKC
The Bard
Speaking from personal experience Grind Core, I need some time to get into this, I got some Anal Cunt albums when I was about 12, I was listening those songs (million of them) for mounths, and nothing happend, just like eating orange. After almost five years I started to like this genre and now bands like Exhumed are always on my playlist, alright almost always...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
03.04.2007 - 04:17
Empress
death metal and heavy thrash metal will have me leaving the room in after a few minutes.
03.04.2007 - 05:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Nu metal in a way, not the music itself, but its usually fairly n00bish (sorry lack of a better word) metalheads that seem to be really insecure about looking like a poser so they treat nu metal like a plague, it takes a fairly mature metalhead to accept and say some nu metal is actually ok.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.04.2007 - 06:49
villain
i can't listen to doom - fucking boring
and it took me many years to appreciate good death metal
nu metal? what's that?
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
03.04.2007 - 11:30
ironman2002
Early norwegian black (mayhem, burzum, emperor) was really hard for me to get into. Even now it takes some time to analyze some mayhem and burzum songs..
13.06.2007 - 08:26
Uller
Brutal death i cant stand it

nü metal i just hate it.....

and the worst..... lullacry.....
----
20.06.2007 - 07:02
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I imagine Black Metal can be quite hard to get into... But once your into it, you can listen to anything. I'm a huge BM fan, but it took me 3-4 years to really get into it from when i first heard it... Which would have been Emperor - Into the Nightside Eclipse