Metal Storm logo
Fav lyrics theme

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 26.03.2007 - 18:29
my faves are fantasy and politics, with bands like megadeth, iced earth, maiden and sepultura having my favourite lyrics, like on "dante's inferno", "phantom of the opera", "the bard's song", "the power of one" are all wonderful songs, and "holy wars", "hangar 18", and "refuse resist", just straight out flaming, bitching and lashing about what's wrong and what their problem is.

i choose fantasy though, since it's a more imaginative field, you can just go totally mindfuck random and no one will bother assessing the reality behind your lyrics, not like in politics where most of the inspiration comes from real events.

Poll

which is your favorite lyrical theme in a song?

introspective/psyhological/sentimental
horror/sci-fi/fantasy
politics
norse
"call to arms"-type
historical
satanist
gore
spiritual/religious

Total votes: 150
03.06.2007 - 23:39
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
introspective/psyhological/sentimental.. Actually Dark feelings, suicide, occultiscm and a bit Vampiric lyrics...
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
04.06.2007 - 11:16
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
epic fantasy...bands like Rhapsody and the epic suites like Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness :-)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.06.2007 - 12:29
NaturensGalleri
Account deleted
For me it's norse...I am fascinated by mythology
04.06.2007 - 14:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=3136] on 04.06.2007 at 12:29

For me it's norse...I am fascinated by mythology

well well who is beck member from old forum

Also celitc and slavonic lyric thems has good because of mytology
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.06.2007 - 02:15
matos
Hmm that's a hard one! i'd say it depends on the mood often. But let me try to comment each theme:

satanist - honestly i hate satanic lyrics especially dark funeral, gorgoroth - "satan my master" type
politics - who gives a fuck about politics!? let punk bands deal with this
gore - nothing fits better with brutal death metal, sometimes it's relaxing to hear/read some torturing bloody lyrics
norse - hmm almost woted for this one. but this wouldn't be fair because honestly i usually don't understand (norwegian) language. actually i don't really know why i like i so much, it just fits best with black metal. every time i listen to these kind of lyrics i wish i was born in norway
introspective/psyhological/sentimental - well i voted this. because this kind of lyrics are simply best, i obvious that artist put some work in it. example: Satyricon - rebel extravaganza, devin townsend..
"call to arms"-type - hehe hmmm i'd like this a lot if i was a soldier.
spiritual/religious - also one of my fav. i really agree with Hypocrisy point of view about religion (adjusting the sun), i also like slovanic pagan religious themes..
horror/sci-fi/fantasy - i think that doesn't work that well in metal, maybe Hypocrisy with arrival.
historical - yes this fits metal a lot, especially viking, but it should be about bands own country's history.
----
08.06.2007 - 02:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
could someone explain to me what exactly is meant by "Call To Arms"?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
08.06.2007 - 07:06
Fhuesc
which band sings horror/sci-fi lyrics, ive never heard one.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
08.06.2007 - 07:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Fhuesc on 08.06.2007 at 07:06

Well, not really metal, but The Misfits have horror type lyrics.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.06.2007 - 02:04
orathac
Account deleted
for me its epic lyrics like BloOd Fire Death, Traveler In Time
And mithology like Amon Amarth etc.
About wars like Aces High Child In Time

but generally i like everything exept maybe satanism i just dont agree but the music is POWERFULL so i just listen to it(but i always learn the lyrics about satanism)
09.06.2007 - 02:05
orathac
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 08.06.2007 at 02:56

could someone explain to me what exactly is meant by "Call To Arms"?

Like Manowar there is a song Call to Arms or Bathory You Know Alexander the great
Phrases like "he grap his sword his eyes full of horror and charged at me like a beast", "hail and kill"
09.06.2007 - 10:09
Sunioj

Hypocrisy sings about aliens and stuff, their latest album not so much, but more gore themed.
09.06.2007 - 10:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=24191] on 09.06.2007 at 02:04

but generally i like everything exept maybe satanism i just dont agree but the music is POWERFULL so i just listen to it(but i always learn the lyrics about satanism)

Thank's fille mou

I agree I like simmilat thmes and dont like lirics about satanism
----

09.06.2007 - 13:07
orathac
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 09.06.2007 at 10:24

Written by [user id=24191] on 09.06.2007 at 02:04

Thank's fille mou

I agree I like simmilat thmes and dont like lirics about satanism

no problem re
09.06.2007 - 13:13
orathac
Account deleted
the king of polytics lyrics is Megadeth of course

and only Megadeth can make it so real

remember we call Mustaine President
10.06.2007 - 15:59
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I also went with the majortiy. I guess my tendency towards such motives and subjects comes from the fact I used to (and I still do) read a lot of ppetry with such ideas and subjects. It's somehow closest to me, I prefer introspective themes because I am more fond of lyricism than epicism. And of course, it's a wide matter of subject that can be given to the listener in thousand methaphores; touching surrealism, including horror isnpired motives, political, anthropoligcal and such. Even ''satan'' is sometimes just metaphore for a destrucitve human being.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
10.06.2007 - 17:18
Opium
Account deleted
I'm going to have to vote Introspective/Psychological/Sentimental. This is because I find I can relate most to such kinds of lyrics and the majority of artists I listen to cover this in general or for the most part. I also find such lyrics to be intriguing in the way that they can contain more complex meanings as to why they were specifically chosen and thus making the overall experience of an album much better.
10.06.2007 - 18:32
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I don't understand why everyone hate Satanic lyrics, I find it's just another cliche to complain about satanic lyrics, weirdest of all is that many people who say that Satanic lyrics are stupid like Gore type lyrics, I mean Satanic lyrics at least have a meaning to them, also people tend to think that all Satanic lyrics are stupid, which is as good as to say that all power metal lyrics are about dragons and hobbits etc. Still I have to say that I dislike bands who call themselves "slaves of Satan" or whatever, but all Satanic lyrics are not ike that, and for Gorgoroth the Satan means personified freedom in man, not a deity as such, that they worship, at least according to my knowledge of their views.
10.06.2007 - 19:02
Pinusar
Account deleted
I don't hate satanic lyrics but I don't like them for a few of reasons. Although I have nothing against intelligent or interesting lyrics which are satanic, I'm not keen on the typical bland approach, which seems to be most common among such bands.

Maybe it's the best way for them to express themselves and their points of view but I think that bands that use satanic lyrics often tend to be uninspiring and maybe even with a bit stupid lyrics. I also don't like the "slaves of Satan" approach, because I don't like hierarchical relations but if they choose to be slaves(or however they call it) its their choice.

Such lyrical themes are so common and work different bands create is sometimes so identical that it becomes strange and the artists' own identity may drown in it.

Another reason why I don't like satanic lyrics very much is because they are usually hostile and hateful and I don't like it. So I get no enjoyement from listening to more traditional or generic stuff.

I agree, that in some way these may be compared to other lyrical cliches, so I don't see a lot of reasons to prefer one type of uninteresting lyrics over others, it is a matter of taste.
11.06.2007 - 14:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=23267] on 10.06.2007 at 18:32

I don't understand why everyone hate Satanic lyrics, I find it's just another cliche to complain about satanic lyrics, weirdest of all is that many people who say that Satanic lyrics are stupid like Gore type lyrics, I mean Satanic lyrics at least have a meaning to them, also people tend to think that all Satanic lyrics are stupid, which is as good as to say that all power metal lyrics are about dragons and hobbits etc. Still I have to say that I dislike bands who call themselves "slaves of Satan" or whatever, but all Satanic lyrics are not ike that, and for Gorgoroth the Satan means personified freedom in man, not a deity as such, that they worship, at least according to my knowledge of their views.

Its so stupid like gore lyrics

For example

GORE - kill, i cut her vains
fuck her, stab her bla bla

Same about satanism - Satan, my life
Call me my number are 666

Its idiot type of lyrics i prefere more inteligent lyrics even Elend has satanic lyrics but thay are inteligent, poetical then i liek read them
----

11.06.2007 - 21:21
Trifixion
Account deleted
I voted for introspective/psychological, but really I like anything with meaning to it the most. This can also be Satanic if it's INTELLIGENT, like Deathspell Omega. Also as long as it fits the music I'll usually like it. Anything deep for me.
12.06.2007 - 09:34
Torture Killer
Account deleted
"Call to arms" is the theme i love and find myself writing about in my songs, and Sepultura is a great influence in that spectrum.
13.06.2007 - 20:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast

horror:
king diamond-all songs
iced earth-horror show album

sci-fi:
judas priest-abductors
14.06.2007 - 13:41
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I've voted for spitritual/religious because I'm more interested in myths, mysticism etc. although historical themes are also great.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
23.09.2007 - 06:14
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Introspective/Psychological/Sentimental - easy to relate to and actially has a meaning
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
23.09.2007 - 07:03
selken
Irreligious
Well, my fav theme isn't here, altough I like all metal genres, my fav is thrash, and one of the things that I like the most from it is the Hate/Criticism/Despising, I like a lot when the music deals with controversial issues and people gets offended, cause they think they have the right.

For example, Slayers' God Hates Us All, isn't their best album, but I like a lot the lyrics, actually one of my fav songs is Slayer's Cult (yes, I know, its from Christ Illusion), many hate against relligion!!!, but also can be criticism of conservative thoughts or something
----
23.09.2007 - 10:26
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Its tough but it really depends on how it's done. I would say fantasy and psychological because those are the two Fates Warning did and they have some of the greatest lyrics. Some bands suck with fantasy and others are good, it really depends on the band..
23.09.2007 - 10:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 13.06.2007 at 20:50

horror:
king diamond-all songs
iced earth-horror show album

sci-fi:
judas priest-abductors

JP are cheep lyrics but KD its man lile lil horror story of old school horror movie
----

25.09.2007 - 23:14
Ernis
狼獾
Well....usually the music plays the biggest part for me but lyrics, especially if I'm able to understand them, add a lot....I think that the best ones are those which correspond to my current mood, to my dreams or hopes.....
25.09.2007 - 23:35
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Ernis on 25.09.2007 at 23:14

Well....usually the music plays the biggest part for me but lyrics, especially if I'm able to understand them, add a lot....I think that the best ones are those which correspond to my current mood, to my dreams or hopes.....

Kind of my thinking.

I voted for middle one, as most did, as I can see. (introspective/psychological...)
Generally, I like lyrics which provoke thoughts, not impose them.
----
23.10.2007 - 16:47
Abattoir
Staff
I vote for for horror/sci-fi/fantasy lyrics...it attracts me most from all other themes...but I don't like too much of exaggeration and repeatting in lyrics...