Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - And The New Singer Is...

... Anette Olzon! In case this name doesn't tell you anything, here are a few facts about her:

Birthday: 21 June 1971

Musical background:
Was raised in a musical family and been singing since childhood. After she turned 13, she started competing in several talent shows. She joined her first real band when she was 17, it was a cover band and all the other musicians were older. After playing cover songs, she joined a band called Alyson Avenue, first just as a studio singer, later as their leading lady. They've released 2 albums since 2000.

At the age of 21, she played the leading role in a rock opera/musical called "Gränsland" in Helsingborg. After that she got in to the Balettakademien in Gothenburg. In addition to the already mentioned, she's been in several other bands over the years, sung in choirs, done studio work for various projects and even occasionally been a wedding singer. Recently she sang a duet with Michael Bormann (ex-Jaded Heart-singer) on his album "Conspiracy".

Read the entire fact file
Interview
Video greeting

Promotional photos: 1 | 2
Promotional band photos: 1 | 2

'Eva', the first single from the new album, should be released tomorrow. Listen to a short sample

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 24.05.2007 by Ivan

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 95   Visited by: 59 users
25.05.2007 - 10:49
~Nagash~
Account deleted
Yes, finally. A new singer. And she looks good to haha.
And also a new album coming. Can't wait!!!
25.05.2007 - 12:41
NortheRnmost
Written by AntaeusM on 24.05.2007 at 22:37

you know..I don't know if you say this pure out of pervertness or if you mean something serious with this.
but I did notice that the shirts are quite..low, so to say. Something they would never do in the time of Tarja, plus it is a sign of how they are going to use this new singer, let's say, the same way as Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil or Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy are used. I hate it when bands do that.

Ehem.. look at the band photo of Oceanborn. You can see quite a lot of Tarja

The new song is actually better than I expected. Beautiful and emotional music with good vocals. But I agree that both song and vocals remind a bit too much of Within Temptation. In "The Silent Force" there are truly a couple similar tracks. But it's difficult to give any real overview of the band's current position because of just one song. Let's wait for more and hope they haven't moved into too soft rock like Within Temptation.
25.05.2007 - 12:54
Megakiller
Account deleted
The End Of All Hope

I only dream with a future where Tarja and the guys will be playing those fuckin´ goods songs that ´re still running through our veins....and even work on new masterpieces....
Anette might be pretty and actuallly sings well, but Nightwish means to me, in a way, a soprano singer and this is not the right choice.(i know it´s soon, but do you imagine her singing Stargazers? Sleepwalker? Wishmaster? or even Bare Grace Misery? ) I ´ve heard the whole song "Eva", it´s on youtube, as well as Annette previous worksin her space...
As a fan of Nightwish i think now it´s dead and they ´ve becomed another shitty comercial band...
For an adecuate change after being waiting all this time...i think this is the end of all hope, so i´ll be waitin´ for Tarja or maybe an equal or better voice...
25.05.2007 - 13:33
delusionist
When was the last time you heard Tarja sing Sleepwalker, Stargazers or Bare Grace Misery.

As a band they want to progress, and Tuomas loves the old songs and at least he claims Oceanborn is the bast album they have made. And he knows lots of fans think that too. But I'm sure it would be really frustrating to play the old songs over and over while you have all this new stuff done.

With or without Tarja they would never have done those really Opera-heavy songs (except for the Phantom (it was really amazing)) live again.
25.05.2007 - 13:33
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i am not disappointed nor with Anette nor with Eva...of course Nightwish had done many better songs in the past, but it isn't any tragedy and i will be waiting till the new album and only here it will really show...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.05.2007 - 14:07
Ireth Alcarin
Account deleted
I think she looks very nice and sounds excited and enthusiastic the future looks bright but they should have chosen some more interesting song to promote her, i can't really judge from this little bit of melody and strings...
25.05.2007 - 14:36
Kaamos
Account deleted
Written by [user id=23805] on 25.05.2007 at 13:55

She looks alright; I haven't heard her sing, but if there's one complaint I have it's that her breasts are not nearly as full as Tarja's. It's not that I prefer full over visible, but Tarja's impressive display of womanhood was just more suited to the band. Somehow........not quite as epic this way.

Hahahah! Man, you made my day.
25.05.2007 - 15:11
Damned-In-Black
Her voice didn't impress me, but she may sound better on harder songs, later. I guess we'll find out, but honestly - it doesn't seem she has a vocal style that will be holding my interest at all. I'll still give the album a fair chance when it comes, but I'm not expecting much.
25.05.2007 - 15:36
Carrion
Account deleted
The sample of Eva was okay, but it takes time for me to actually understand that it is Nightwish that I'm hearing.
25.05.2007 - 17:44
EquilibriuMTR
Account deleted
The whole 4:24 song is available on torrent(460 seeds )

The new format is different than the old one and with some facts, it's even better.

And by the way, Anette rules the song with her voice.
25.05.2007 - 18:12
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
She looks very nice, her voice is nice too.. But Im concerened about her age, when Nightwish finish tour for next album she will be something like 40... They shouldve picked someone younger..

Btw new song "Eva", total disapoitmend...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
25.05.2007 - 18:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
one half of so-called fans is disappointed, the second one love it...where is then the truth ? :-D
----

25.05.2007 - 18:49
Mariela.
Account deleted
I actually like her voice better than Tarjas! When I heard their new single today on the radio I thought "Hey, I might even start listening to Nightwish now!".
25.05.2007 - 19:07
TheDamned
Account deleted
Ok listening to the full version on Youtube now , not bad at all . Still waiting on a metal song to pass full judgement tho .
Edit : Good solo !
25.05.2007 - 20:46
Ivor
Staff
The sample doesn't offer much. Youtube, however, does. Imo, Nightwish was in for a change quite a while ago. Last two albums haven't been good enough, though there were some exceptions.

I think Anette may prove to be a good choice. Although I figured Nightwish would end up dead without Tarja, I'm thinking of changing my opinion. I'm starting to see it as a fresh start.

I'll be waiting for the release.

I.
25.05.2007 - 21:44
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I think that nightwish should go progressive like After Forever did, but if they chose to become another evanescence thats their choise.... And Im sure that almost all of the old fans (like myself) will be very dissapointed.
----
25.05.2007 - 23:22
-=FlaurosDagon=-
Account deleted
Her voice isn't actually that bad, I was kind of surprised. Not amazingly awesome, but good... Now, to see who bloodbath's new vocalist is
26.05.2007 - 01:09
Itsemurha
aaahh... I agree with you ,4look4rd, I've heard the samples of the new album... and to tell the truth, I miss Tarja everyday more and more... as they said: "End of an era".:suicide:
26.05.2007 - 12:03
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
but the Begining of anohter...
----

27.05.2007 - 00:47
Icewings
La Luna
Well of course nothing is going to replace tarja because tarja is tarja and Anette is Anette. But I think anette has the experience and is professional about her job , do you think she didn't though she had to take all the bad comments and stuff , of course she did , so good luck to them the past is the past!

Ohh I forgot to say , for some reason she has such the tarja look umm I don't know if that's so good because then they are going to compared her even more.
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
27.05.2007 - 18:57
Breed-Dreader
Written by AntaeusM on 24.05.2007 at 22:37

Written by Breed-Dreader on 24.05.2007 at 22:03

uhm....nice tits?

you know..I don't know if you say this pure out of pervertness or if you mean something serious with this.
but I did notice that the shirts are quite..low, so to say. Something they would never do in the time of Tarja, plus it is a sign of how they are going to use this new singer, let's say, the same way as Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil or Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy are used. I hate it when bands do that.

I am not a Nightwish fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming album will be more mainstream accesible, and maybe even more commercial than they already were. Oh well, we will see, but I don't think it will catch my interest.

just making observation.
I didnt cut her blouse in two.
28.05.2007 - 19:28
BrightNight
Could have been worse. I like her voice and i will give my oppinion when i heard the complete album......unlike some of you here!

I cant believe you guys saying you were a big Nightwish fan and now say its commercial shit. You heard only one song so shut your mouth and say these things when youve heard their whole new music. Tarja will be missed ofcourse i agree, but that doesnt mean that Nightwish is dead! You really are headless to say such things. Tarja was a big part of Nightwish only because of her voice.....furthermore nothing at all. She only did the vocals, nothing more. Music, lyrics, emotions and the whole nightwish vibe is made by the guys. Tarja did only sing.....so dont say Nightwish is dead. The only different thing is the vocals...i know thats a bit thing but the sound will always be the same..."Nightwish sound".

Im eager to hear the new album!
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
29.05.2007 - 01:26
High and Mighty
Account deleted
Her voice is pretty plain... it's nothing special. I gues the one and only feminine voice in this kind of metal remains Sharon Den Adel
29.05.2007 - 13:12
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by BrightNight on 28.05.2007 at 19:28

I cant believe you guys saying you were a big Nightwish fan and now say its commercial shit.

Exactly, and what is commercial in the first place?
I read commentes on the internet, many people wrote: she is hot, but she can't sing, they brought hot singer just to take money from fans... common, what should they do? Bring some 60 years old half-dead, blind rag?
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
29.05.2007 - 13:18
Ernis
狼獾
Written by APOHAKC on 29.05.2007 at 13:12

Written by BrightNight on 28.05.2007 at 19:28

I cant believe you guys saying you were a big Nightwish fan and now say its commercial shit.

Exactly, and what is commercial in the first place?
I read commentes on the internet, many people wrote: she is hot, but she can't sing, they brought hot singer just to take money from fans... common, what should they do? Bring some 60 years old half-dead, blind rag?

If they had brought a 60 years old half-dead, blind rag then the "fans" would still whine "Oh, it's awful...bring Tarja back!!!"
Actually it seems to me that people don't whine because of the new singer nor style nor music nor decisions nor anything....people just whine because of whining itself....because they secretly enjoy it....subconsciously I think.....
01.06.2007 - 17:42
Nazeef
wOw!!! quite charming face.....Let's wait for the voice to be charming too.
I belief in Nightwish guys choice...And the Walk Continue, Great!!!!!:beer:
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
17.06.2007 - 22:45
wasekcz
Account deleted
Nightwish without Tarja isn't Nightwish. But, I believe that Anette is new big start of Nightwish. Good luck!!!
18.06.2007 - 12:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
still there are 4/5 of the crew, which is making Nightwish - and listen to While Your Lips Are Still Red to see, that they really can perform well...even without any Tarja
----

18.06.2007 - 18:46
wasekcz
Account deleted
I know Chris, but Nightwish with Tarja was unique. Nightwish is still one of my favourite band. They do perfect music. Good blog.
26.06.2007 - 21:23
Elodie Artour
Slania
She is so ugly...
And she also imitates both Sharon and Tarja.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...

Hits total: 6428 | This month: 15