Metal Storm logo
Drums

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 15.07.2006 - 00:33
Talk about everything related to drums. Equipment, best drummers in the world, how long have you played, who are your main influences, and so on.
05.09.2007 - 04:18
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=1445] on 04.09.2007 at 20:49

Written by Savage Messiah on 03.09.2007 at 05:52

Written by Remus on 02.09.2007 at 11:56

Ok, so i need to get new drum heads soon - what do you people recommend? Remo would be the obvious choice, right? But what about those Aquarian ones, anyone ever try those? Any other brands i should consider?

P.S
I seriously think that miss Messiah and i are the only two drummers left here , why are the drum threads dying out?

Shit I know ay, it's like all the ms drummers just vanished or something...
About the skins - my drum teacher swears by Aquarian, and he was quite disappointed when I bought a Remo snare skin... I know a lot of Pro drummers use Remo but I'm starting to think that's only because they're sponsored by Remo.
I vote try Aquarian out my teacher reckons they have a much nicer sound.

I play with Evan's Hydraulics, or Remo Pinstripes, on my toms, and an Evan's st dry on my snare (I think that's it, I'm talking about the one with little pin holes around the edge) and I have Aquarians on my bass heads. Hydraulics are my favorite for the toms, cause they've got two plies with oil in between that gives it a good thump. It leaves less need for artificial muffling.

Does anyone have a set of Iron Cobra bass pedals that they'd like to give a little feedback about? I'm thinking about buying a better double bass pedal, and I'm deciding between that or the Twin Jr.

I used to have a pair of Iron Cobras, I sold them though for some Trick double pedals (similar to Axis but better )
What pedals have you got now? I dont particularly like Iron Cobras, have you tried Axis or Trick? They're built to go shit loads faster...
05.09.2007 - 05:24
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Savage Messiah on 05.09.2007 at 04:18

Written by [user id=1445] on 04.09.2007 at 20:49

Written by Savage Messiah on 03.09.2007 at 05:52

Written by Remus on 02.09.2007 at 11:56

Ok, so i need to get new drum heads soon - what do you people recommend? Remo would be the obvious choice, right? But what about those Aquarian ones, anyone ever try those? Any other brands i should consider?

P.S
I seriously think that miss Messiah and i are the only two drummers left here , why are the drum threads dying out?

Shit I know ay, it's like all the ms drummers just vanished or something...
About the skins - my drum teacher swears by Aquarian, and he was quite disappointed when I bought a Remo snare skin... I know a lot of Pro drummers use Remo but I'm starting to think that's only because they're sponsored by Remo.
I vote try Aquarian out my teacher reckons they have a much nicer sound.

I play with Evan's Hydraulics, or Remo Pinstripes, on my toms, and an Evan's st dry on my snare (I think that's it, I'm talking about the one with little pin holes around the edge) and I have Aquarians on my bass heads. Hydraulics are my favorite for the toms, cause they've got two plies with oil in between that gives it a good thump. It leaves less need for artificial muffling.

Does anyone have a set of Iron Cobra bass pedals that they'd like to give a little feedback about? I'm thinking about buying a better double bass pedal, and I'm deciding between that or the Twin Jr.

I used to have a pair of Iron Cobras, I sold them though for some Trick double pedals (similar to Axis but better )
What pedals have you got now? I dont particularly like Iron Cobras, have you tried Axis or Trick? They're built to go shit loads faster...

I just bought Iron Cobras today after making that post. I'm pretty happy, but I really haven't had a chance to fully play them yet, so I'll let you know tomorrow. Before those I had cheap Pacific pedals, so this was at least an upgrade. I really would love to have some nice Axis pedals but I can't afford them. I haven't seen anything cheaper than like $499 or so. I got my cobras today for $269 (I got cut a deal at Guitar Center).
15.09.2007 - 02:04
Alex Smith
I became a musician ten years ago, but I still can't understand how it is possible to play fast this rhythm:

H---x----------x--------------------------
S---------x-----------x-------------------
B---x----------x--x-----------------------
16.09.2007 - 19:34
Remus
Written by [user id=1445] on 05.09.2007 at 05:24

I just bought Iron Cobras today after making that post. I'm pretty happy, but I really haven't had a chance to fully play them yet, so I'll let you know tomorrow. Before those I had cheap Pacific pedals, so this was at least an upgrade. I really would love to have some nice Axis pedals but I can't afford them. I haven't seen anything cheaper than like $499 or so. I got my cobras today for $269 (I got cut a deal at Guitar Center).

I think purchasing the Cobras was definately a good decision. Did you get the Power-Glide of Roller-Glide or what? I haven't personally played on Axis or Trick pedals so i can't compare, but i have played on a pair of Gibraltars and the Cobras are much better/faster.

@Savage Messiah: you never did get around to posting a pic of your kit...
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
16.09.2007 - 19:57
Remus
Written by Alex Smith on 15.09.2007 at 02:04

I became a musician ten years ago, but I still can't understand how it is possible to play fast this rhythm:

H---x----------x--------------------------
S---------x-----------x-------------------
B---x----------x--x-----------------------

I'm not sure but i think that's called the "D-beat" or something. It is used a lot in punk-rock. But i would consider this to be a beginner-level beat, nothing difficult about it! Especially if you avoid playing a hi-hat note with the snare.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
16.09.2007 - 20:06
Asphyxia
Account deleted
If you skip the bass note under the second hi hat, it still keeps the same feel but is much easier to play. Personally, I don't find this hard to play but I know that if you drop that bass hit it's a lot easier.
19.09.2007 - 12:22
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 16.09.2007 at 19:34

Written by [user id=1445] on 05.09.2007 at 05:24

I think purchasing the Cobras was definately a good decision. Did you get the Power-Glide of Roller-Glide or what? I haven't personally played on Axis or Trick pedals so i can't compare, but i have played on a pair of Gibraltars and the Cobras are much better/faster.

@Savage Messiah: you never did get around to posting a pic of your kit...

yes...... I'm getting ever closer to taking photos of my kit.. thing is I don't have a digital camera so I'll have to use my shitty manual school camera and develop the photo myself then scan it onto my pc. yummy black and white.
lol
I'M GETTING THERE.
19.09.2007 - 21:23
Carrion
Account deleted
I should buy a new kit.. But with what money? Hmm... I guess I'll have to start saving, and in a year I should have enough cash.. Pearl would be my number one choise, with Paiste cymbals.
20.09.2007 - 11:41
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=13894] on 19.09.2007 at 21:23

I should buy a new kit.. But with what money? Hmm... I guess I'll have to start saving, and in a year I should have enough cash.. Pearl would be my number one choise, with Paiste cymbals.

Yeah I really want a new kit too, I'm sick of the way my Tama swingstar sounds... I need something that sounds better
what kit do you have at the moment?
20.09.2007 - 19:38
Carrion
Account deleted
Written by Savage Messiah on 20.09.2007 at 11:41

Yeah I really want a new kit too, I'm sick of the way my Tama swingstar sounds... I need something that sounds better

I think it has a different name in some countries, but here it is known as Millenium. Really cheap, really crappy and f*ucking heavy pedals. Mine is like 4 years old now..
22.09.2007 - 04:15
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=13894] on 20.09.2007 at 19:38

I think it has a different name in some countries, but here it is known as Millenium. Really cheap, really crappy and f*ucking heavy pedals. Mine is like 4 years old now..

Oh yeap, I dont think we have Millenium kits over here... I reckon that when I get some cash, I might upgrade to a Tama Starclassic Maple... or possibly even a Pearl kit. It'd be cooler if I got sponsored though
22.09.2007 - 22:30
Carrion
Account deleted
Written by Savage Messiah on 22.09.2007 at 04:15

Written by [user id=13894] on 20.09.2007 at 19:38

Oh yeap, I dont think we have Millenium kits over here... I reckon that when I get some cash, I might upgrade to a Tama Starclassic Maple... or possibly even a Pearl kit. It'd be cooler if I got sponsored though

Pappa betalar, as we finns say. Yeah it would be nice to have some sponsoring out of somewhere, but the only choise for me is to get money through job..
27.11.2007 - 04:23
Asphyxia
Account deleted
I'm so mad, a small piece on my Iron Cobras broke (the piece that holds the beater in place) and now when I play my pedals the right beater gets pushed back towards me. Is there a way to buy a small replacement part for it? How do I go about fixing this problem?
28.11.2007 - 06:30
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=1445] on 27.11.2007 at 04:23

I'm so mad, a small piece on my Iron Cobras broke (the piece that holds the beater in place) and now when I play my pedals the right beater gets pushed back towards me. Is there a way to buy a small replacement part for it? How do I go about fixing this problem?

broken? I'm not exactly sure which part you mean, has the metal cracked or something??
That's really weird... my iron cobras were ancient and they never broke...
can you take a picture of the break and put it up?
11.12.2007 - 04:19
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Savage Messiah on 28.11.2007 at 06:30

broken? I'm not exactly sure which part you mean, has the metal cracked or something??

Yeah, if you look at the part list at the Tama website, its part number is 4-2. Apparently this part breaking under stress happens to a lot of Iron Cobra owners, and it's a well-known problem. So I think the part can be replaced (hopefully free of charge, as this pedal is only a month old), but the problem I'm having is finding out whether I should contact the music store I bought it at (Guitar Center) or should I try to contact Tama directly?

You can see the part list for the Iron Cobras I have here: http://tama.com/drums/tama_link.asp?page=http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/parts/hardware/pedal/../page/HP900prftw_2004.html
11.12.2007 - 05:08
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by [user id=1445] on 11.12.2007 at 04:19

Yeah, if you look at the part list at the Tama website, its part number is 4-2. Apparently this part breaking under stress happens to a lot of Iron Cobra owners, and it's a well-known problem. So I think the part can be replaced (hopefully free of charge, as this pedal is only a month old), but the problem I'm having is finding out whether I should contact the music store I bought it at (Guitar Center) or should I try to contact Tama directly?

You can see the part list for the Iron Cobras I have here: http://tama.com/drums/tama_link.asp?page=http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/parts/hardware/pedal/../page/HP900prftw_2004.html

I'd go to the store first man, if they're no help or want to charge you, say you'll come back later and go contact Tama. They'd probably just send you the part.
Do your pedals have a warranty?
18.12.2007 - 21:14
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Savage Messiah on 11.12.2007 at 05:08

Written by [user id=1445] on 11.12.2007 at 04:19

I'd go to the store first man, if they're no help or want to charge you, say you'll come back later and go contact Tama. They'd probably just send you the part.
Do your pedals have a warranty?

My pedals don't have a warranty, I'm not sure why, but the only warranty I had is the 30-day satisfaction guarantee from Guitar Center. I bought the pedal three months ago so it's too late to get refunded from Guitar Center. However, I took my pedals, and my receipt to them yesterday and they gave me the phone number for Hoshino (they make Tama and Ibanez), and I gave them a call today. I ended up just re-ordering the broken part for $13. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix it myself with the new part. I haven't really had time to figure out the mechanics of my pedal. I guess now is a good time.

Anyway, for those considering purchasing Iron Cobras - don't! Take Savage Messiah's advice and save up for Axis pedals or at least something better than Cobras. I like the pedals, they're comfortable and smooth enough, but they are not durable. I barely got two months of playing out of mine before they broke! And it ended up costing me in the end.
23.12.2007 - 05:59
Christos
I found the Iron Cobra kick pedals to be a bit too small for my mammoth feet. I'm REALLY keen on their HH905 hihat stands tho, I own two of them and they're pretty much the only piece of gear I've been 100% happy with.

I've got a DW9000 double kick pedal, which I love, and yesterday my Axis AL turned up which I gigged immediately. I'll be trying it out again tonight, but it's definitely got a very different feel to the 9000.

I recently played a couple of the high-end Yamaha pedals, and was quite impressed. I also played the Pearl Eliminator and was pretty impressed with that as well. Of course, the DW5000 is an industry standard pedal, and for a good reason.

I don't really know why I just posted about kick pedals. But I've written it now so I couldn't possibly delete it and waste all that effort.
----
ta bi
23.12.2007 - 07:49
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Christos on 23.12.2007 at 05:59

I found the Iron Cobra kick pedals to be a bit too small for my mammoth feet. I'm REALLY keen on their HH905 hihat stands tho, I own two of them and they're pretty much the only piece of gear I've been 100% happy with.

I've got a DW9000 double kick pedal, which I love, and yesterday my Axis AL turned up which I gigged immediately. I'll be trying it out again tonight, but it's definitely got a very different feel to the 9000.

I recently played a couple of the high-end Yamaha pedals, and was quite impressed. I also played the Pearl Eliminator and was pretty impressed with that as well. Of course, the DW5000 is an industry standard pedal, and for a good reason.

I don't really know why I just posted about kick pedals. But I've written it now so I couldn't possibly delete it and waste all that effort.

Pleeeeeeease try out some Trick pedals, they're like Axis only better
02.01.2008 - 19:36
Christos
Written by Savage Messiah on 23.12.2007 at 07:49

Hehe, I did try out a Trick pedal before I bought my Axis. I didn't really get on with it enough to make me feel that the £300 price tag was justified. I actually prefer the feel of my DW9000 to the Trick and I'm really digging the Axis as well.

Did you try an Axis? Or did someone just tell you that "the Trick is like the Axis, only better"? I'm always wary of such absolute statements - "better" is a subjective term. I think the bottom line is that there are a lot of great pedals out there and having a more expensive pedal isn't going to magically make you a better player. I know amazing players who have cheap Pearl, Gibraltar and Yamaha pedals!
----
ta bi
07.01.2008 - 07:12
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Christos on 02.01.2008 at 19:36

Hehe, I did try out a Trick pedal before I bought my Axis. I didn't really get on with it enough to make me feel that the £300 price tag was justified. I actually prefer the feel of my DW9000 to the Trick and I'm really digging the Axis as well.

Did you try an Axis? Or did someone just tell you that "the Trick is like the Axis, only better"? I'm always wary of such absolute statements - "better" is a subjective term. I think the bottom line is that there are a lot of great pedals out there and having a more expensive pedal isn't going to magically make you a better player. I know amazing players who have cheap Pearl, Gibraltar and Yamaha pedals!

Hahaha of course I tried Axis, I tried them before I even knew Trick pedals existed, I was saving up for them when I saw some Tricks in the shop and bought them instead
It was actually George Kollias who confirmed for me what I already thought about Axis pedals, he uses Axis but after talking to him, I found out he only uses them instead of Trick pedals because Axis sponsored him. I told him that I got some brand new Trick pedals and he said something along the lines of "my friend in Australia let me try out his Trick pedals, they're so much better quality than Axis, the hardware is awesome."
You gotta admit the design of Trick pedals beats the Axis design, all the linkage is an all new design, not just the same idea used by every other pedal company. It's freakishly simple to do anything with them.
10.01.2008 - 04:12
Christos
Written by Savage Messiah on 07.01.2008 at 07:12

It was actually George Kollias who confirmed for me what I already thought about Axis pedals, he uses Axis but after talking to him, I found out he only uses them instead of Trick pedals because Axis sponsored him. I told him that I got some brand new Trick pedals and he said something along the lines of "my friend in Australia let me try out his Trick pedals, they're so much better quality than Axis, the hardware is awesome."
You gotta admit the design of Trick pedals beats the Axis design, all the linkage is an all new design, not just the same idea used by every other pedal company. It's freakishly simple to do anything with them.

That's the lamest thing I ever heard about "only using them cus they sponsor him"! I can't stand it when people go for endorsements simply because they get free or subsidised gear. Play gear that you love and would BUY, not gear you don't like simply cus it's free.

To be honest, I'm sure that Trick make some great hardware and some great pedals, but I just didn't like the pedals enough to buy them. The design of the Trick is great, but so is mechanical design of the Axis. In fact, I'd be very surprised if anything goes wrong on the Axis at all - there's simply nothing to them!

It's interesting you talking about the design - check this out for a new design: http://www.drumnetics.com/pedal.php

I'm sure that the Trick is a great piece of kit, and what's most important is that you're happy with it. Maybe when I need a new pedal I'll take another look at the Trick, but it'll take a lot to beat either the Axis or my Dee-Dubs. The bottom line is that a pedal won't magically make you a better player - like I said before I've seen amazing players using budget gear.
----
ta bi
10.01.2008 - 04:13
Christos
By the way, what specifically are you referring to when you mention the linkage?
----
ta bi
11.01.2008 - 00:27
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Christos on 10.01.2008 at 04:12

Written by Savage Messiah on 07.01.2008 at 07:12

That's the lamest thing I ever heard about "only using them cus they sponsor him"! I can't stand it when people go for endorsements simply because they get free or subsidised gear. Play gear that you love and would BUY, not gear you don't like simply cus it's free.

To be honest, I'm sure that Trick make some great hardware and some great pedals, but I just didn't like the pedals enough to buy them. The design of the Trick is great, but so is mechanical design of the Axis. In fact, I'd be very surprised if anything goes wrong on the Axis at all - there's simply nothing to them!

It's interesting you talking about the design - check this out for a new design: http://www.drumnetics.com/pedal.php

I'm sure that the Trick is a great piece of kit, and what's most important is that you're happy with it. Maybe when I need a new pedal I'll take another look at the Trick, but it'll take a lot to beat either the Axis or my Dee-Dubs. The bottom line is that a pedal won't magically make you a better player - like I said before I've seen amazing players using budget gear.

It's not that lame, considering pedals are very expensive and if they break or get damaged you have to spend $$$s to get them fixed. I don't see it as lame at all that George would use Axis because they sponsor him, obviously Axis pedals are great but I was just saying that they aren't his favourite design.

We all have our preferences for feel when it comes to pedals, I have a very experienced friend who favoured his Iron Cobras (Flexi-Glide) over the Trick pedals. That's interesting, because I used to own some Iron Cobras and they did nothing for me except frustrate me.

Things do go wrong with Axis pedals, it was only a few weeks ago when the Dawn Of Azazel's drummer broke his Axis pedals while supporting Behemoth lol. But this seems to happen with every pedal, so I doubt any of them are perfect.

You've said this twice now: "The bottom line is that a pedal won't magically make you a better player." I didn't say it would... all I'm getting from that comment is that you think I'm an elitist cunt who thinks that because I have expensive pedals I must think of myself as a good drummer.
I probably suck for all I know.
11.01.2008 - 00:31
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Christos on 10.01.2008 at 04:13

By the way, what specifically are you referring to when you mention the linkage?

This:
14.01.2008 - 03:44
Christos
Written by Savage Messiah on 11.01.2008 at 00:27

It's not that lame, considering pedals are very expensive and if they break or get damaged you have to spend $$$s to get them fixed. I don't see it as lame at all that George would use Axis because they sponsor him, obviously Axis pedals are great but I was just saying that they aren't his favourite design.

Of course I can see where you're coming from, I just consider it rather fickle and superficial to allegedly "endorse" a product that one would not actually purchase if it wasn't acquired free of charge.

We all have our preferences for feel when it comes to pedals, I have a very experienced friend who favoured his Iron Cobras (Flexi-Glide) over the Trick pedals. That's interesting, because I used to own some Iron Cobras and they did nothing for me except frustrate me.

Absolutely - each to their own. I'm not too keen on the Iron Cobra pedals, mainly due to the abnormally short footboard.

Things do go wrong with Axis pedals, it was only a few weeks ago when the Dawn Of Azazel's drummer broke his Axis pedals while supporting Behemoth lol. But this seems to happen with every pedal, so I doubt any of them are perfect.

Yeah, I don't doubt it. There's always the possibility of a manufactoring defect, regardless of the strength of the design. Plus sometimes things just break.

You've said this twice now: "The bottom line is that a pedal won't magically make you a better player." I didn't say it would... all I'm getting from that comment is that you think I'm an elitist cunt who thinks that because I have expensive pedals I must think of myself as a good drummer.
I probably suck for all I know.

It's a shame you took that comment personally since it wasn't meant to be offensive. I suppose my intention was simply to highlight the issue to anybody else reading the thread, however unlikely that is given the lack of activity in this particular section of the forum. I generally go for the really top-end stuff, which is usually more expensive, but I'm simply saying (to anybody, not you in particular) that gear does not make the player (although it can certainly improve the experience and enjoyment) and also that there is quality gear out there that doesn't require one to take out a new mortgage.
----
ta bi
20.01.2008 - 01:52
Remus

So, you saw Amon Amarth live, man you don't know how much i envy you!

Ok ok, did you get to see what pedals the drummer used? I assumed he had 2 bass-drums, were they triggered? Was the whole set triggered? What cymbals did he use, did he use many? How was his drumming - timing, double-bass, rolls/fills, blasting?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
21.01.2008 - 01:46
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 20.01.2008 at 01:52

So, you saw Amon Amarth live, man you don't know how much i envy you!

Ok ok, did you get to see what pedals the drummer used? I assumed he had 2 bass-drums, were they triggered? Was the whole set triggered? What cymbals did he use, did he use many? How was his drumming - timing, double-bass, rolls/fills, blasting?

Aww dude you have to see them live! It was such an awesome gig, such a cool atmosphere!
I didn't get to see which pedals he used... sadly... I couldn't see much of the kit
I -think- he was using Paiste cymbals, I took a photo of the kit, it's not great but it's all I could get before they came on stage and my view got blocked -.-
Yeah he did a bit of blasting, I don't recall a solo though... didn't notice any odd time sigs....
here's the pic:

27.01.2008 - 10:15
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
This thread will have to do. I finally ditched the drum program b.s. and got a real kit today. It's a mix of a Tama Rockstar and DW, in black of course!

2- 10" Toms
1- 12" Tom
1- 14" Floor Tom
1- 22" Bass drum
1- 14" DW Natural Maple Snare
1- 14" Sabian HiHats
1- Paiste 16" Crash
1- 8" Zildjian A Custom Splash
1- 10" Sabian (don't recall what type)
1- 16" Sabian Paragon crash (Neil Peart model)
1- 18" Zildjian A Custom crash
1- 20" Zildjian Ping ride
1- DW 5000 double bass pedals
1- DW 5000 HiHat stand

No photos yet, it's not even entirely set-up since I just got it today/yesterday but I am very excited about the prospect of having real drums for my music project and I even picked up a new interface/mixer today.
29.01.2008 - 01:35
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
I have a really dumb question. I have a Pearl double bass pedal (122TW) and I can't figure out how to adjust it so that the beaters are closer to the skin but the footboard stays the same height. I've had it for a few years now but it's pissing me off, there's no rebound so it makes it really difficult to play fast (actually it makes it a lot more difficult to play in general). Maybe I just need new springs but I might look for some some different pedals. My friend used to have some Big Dog ones and I could play way better with those...