Metal Storm logo
Metalcore

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 20.01.2007 - 01:25
So I'm Taking Jesus Punchers Advice and Open a thread About Metalcore. Now This thread is about Metalcore in general, But I would like to Remind people that there is a difference between the crap Like Bullet for My Valantine/A7X and bands Like Shadows Fall and God Forbid. I would ask that any critisism tword this genre be Constructive, and anyone who makes unintelligent remarks will Be either Pwned by Myself or Reported to a Mod if it gets to out of hand.

But anyway, feel free to talk about some good metalcore. Nad if any of you are wondering why this is in the Alt. Metal forum, it's because I got tired of people whining at me about it. But anywho, let the discussion Commense.
21.08.2008 - 06:42
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I think it's obnoxious and it's JUST A TREND WHICH WILL MOST LIKELY BE DEAD IN THE NEXT DECADE!

and then they act like such tough guys, but i find them kind of homo to be honest lol.

i can't take it seriously.
21.08.2008 - 11:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=160] on 21.08.2008 at 06:42

and then they act like such tough guys, but i find them kind of homo to be honest lol.

that also applies for Manowar
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2008 - 06:08
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2008 at 11:56

Written by [user id=160] on 21.08.2008 at 06:42

that also applies for Manowar

Leave it to Marcel to be the antagonist :
14.04.2009 - 14:44
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Even thou there are lots of great Metalcore bands like God Forbid and Shadows Fall, when it comes to this genre I usually prefer a melodic sound. Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu and Killswitch Engage are far my favorite metalcore bands. Albuns like ''Lead Sails'' and ''City of Evil'' are the kind of thing that I enjoy to listen in metalcore.

Of course, there is an remarkable high degree of ''emotion'' in the songs of these bands... and by that I mean that they are very close to be heavy emo bands XD... their first albuns specially. But thats ok... their proximity with metal makes it enjoyable enough.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
14.04.2009 - 20:00
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Avenged Sevenfold is a perfect metalcore band but I prefer deathcore bands like Emmure...Between The Buried and Me is a great metalcore band because they're so much more than metalcore...another band that I always liked was Nothingface...36 Crazyfists and A Perfect Murder too unfortunately the latter band is done...
15.04.2009 - 09:20
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by [user id=2084] on 14.04.2009 at 20:00

another band that I always liked was Nothingface...36 Crazyfists and A Perfect Murder too unfortunately the latter band is done...

Nothingface is an exellent band, to me they deserve even a profile in MS. Too bad they already disbanded, I heard something about a possible new album in 2009, but looks like its not gonna happen.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.04.2009 - 18:57
brapp32
I heard that the nothingface album was coming out later this year.
27.04.2009 - 23:49
brapp32
Is nothingface even considered Metalcore? I think they're a great band. 36 crazyfists is great to. Check out within the ruins and broadcast the nightmare. Both pretty good Metalcore bands. If your more into deathcore check out catalepsy. You might like abacabb to.
04.05.2009 - 06:18
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by brapp32 on 27.04.2009 at 23:49

Is nothingface even considered Metalcore? I think they're a great band. 36 crazyfists is great to. Check out within the ruins and broadcast the nightmare. Both pretty good Metalcore bands. If your more into deathcore check out catalepsy. You might like abacabb to.

I have always associated Nothingface with nu-metal. Cause they have an alternative rock sound, really heavy at some moments and extremly soften right after, a brutal atmosphere followed by the catchiest chorus ever, kinda an ''beauty-meets-brutality approach'' as it is said in a reaview i've read somewhere.

But this association with nu-metal doesn't look right.. It exists because of the time that they appear in the middle of the late 90s rap-metal success playing a similar sound.

About a possible new album, this site show a Self Titled re-release, and I don't remember listening to this one... better check out.
----

----
04.05.2009 - 16:46
brapp32
I'm not sure what happened to the new album. The album on the website is a re- release of their first album.
23.12.2010 - 04:02
CzirjakMan
Sometimes I don't like saying so but I love metalcore. I think there's so many creative possibilities with fusing singing and screaming, thrashing and melody, the only reason it's bashed is cause its "mainstream". If bands like Opeth or Dark Tranquillity had any songs on the radio then they'd have their share of haters too.
16.01.2011 - 22:46
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Darkest Hour is the only metalcore band I frequently listen to, and even then because they sound more like a thrashy melodeath band then anything -core. Their lack of chugachuga-chugchug- breakdowns also makes them much less annoying, to the point of actually being enjoyable. Honestly, if some of these core bands would stop using those boy band chorus's and br00tal breakdowns, they would be decent melodeath bands.
18.01.2011 - 00:38
Sonic MrSumo
Written by CzirjakMan on 23.12.2010 at 04:02

I think there's so many creative possibilities with fusing singing and screaming, thrashing and melody

Agreed. Where would we be if bands just kept writing and playing the same type of music? You can't stop progress, and metalcore will just be a small step in the metal path, that will hopefully lead to bigger and better things.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
25.01.2011 - 14:27
I like metalcore, but I'm actually more twards hardcore. Maybe I'm not the best placing a band into a genre, but I know what I like
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
25.01.2011 - 15:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I havent heard a great deal of metalcore to be honest, but most of it really doesn't do anything for me. Some bands like Shadows Fall and Devildriver have some good stuff that I enjoy, but overall it's not a genre I listen to much.
25.01.2011 - 18:31
ForeverDarkWoods
I actually think this genre is worse than nu metal. No redeeming qualities.

YO DAWG, WE HERD U LIKE BREAKDOWNS; SO WE PUT A BREAKDOWN IN A BREAKDOWN SO U CAN JERK OFF WHILE U JERK OFF
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
25.01.2011 - 19:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 25.01.2011 at 18:31
YO DAWG, WE HERD U LIKE BREAKDOWNS; SO WE PUT A BREAKDOWN IN A BREAKDOWN SO U CAN JERK OFF WHILE U JERK OFF

I actually think this meme is worse than Kanye West at the VMAs. No redeeming qualities.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
25.01.2011 - 19:34
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by vezzy on 25.01.2011 at 19:29

I actually think this meme is worse than Kanye West at the VMAs. No redeeming qualities.

It doesn't exist as far as I know. I made it up in two secs and it's supposed to suck.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
25.01.2011 - 19:38
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 25.01.2011 at 19:34

Written by vezzy on 25.01.2011 at 19:29

It doesn't exist as far as I know. I made it up in two secs and it's supposed to suck.

I actually think this comment is better than plenty of other possible comebacks. Redeeming qualities.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.03.2011 - 19:56
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
As much as people want to hate on metalcore I think that for a lot of people, including me, metalcore was the gateway into the metal community. Bands like Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, Demon Hunter, Atreyu were the first "metal" bands that I listened to. I soon realised that there was much better stuff out there but I still feel like I owe it to those bands for getting my foot in the door.

Also to be fair there are a few metalcore bands out there that are actually good like protest the hero, becoming the archetype etc. The biggest problem is that bands like becoming the archetype sound absolutely nothing like a shitty metalcore band like Miss May I or Asking Alexandria. So making a general statement like "Metalcore sucks!" is extremely ignorant IMO.
02.03.2011 - 12:59
JD
Account deleted
Am so into "Glass Casket" this while amazing band!
31.03.2011 - 04:07
Webimpulse
Dunno if this counts as thread necromancy, but when I think of metalcore I think of bands that sound more along the lines of Hatebreed. I.e. metal that has a definite hardcore punk ancestry to it, and not of the more melodic variety like Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu. Something that sounds more like this:

[URL]http://www.hearjapan.com/store/album_info/FAR_EAST_EVIL_2010[/URL]

I'm not saying bands such as A7X and Atreyu are necessarily bad, I just don't consider them metalcore.
01.04.2011 - 09:08
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'm starting to think that metalcore and deathcore may not just be a trend, and that it may be a part of mainstream music for many years to come... Maybe it's just my ignorance, but didn't nu metal rise and fall in a matter of 5 years or so? And metalcore has been going on for at least 7 years now if I'm correct, and is still growing in popularity... Sigh...
01.04.2011 - 11:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Webimpulse on 31.03.2011 at 04:07

Dunno if this counts as thread necromancy, but when I think of metalcore I think of bands that sound more along the lines of Hatebreed. I.e. metal that has a definite hardcore punk ancestry to it, and not of the more melodic variety like Avenged Sevenfold and Atreyu. Something that sounds more like this:

[URL]http://www.hearjapan.com/store/album_info/FAR_EAST_EVIL_2010[/URL]

I'm not saying bands such as A7X and Atreyu are necessarily bad, I just don't consider them metalcore.

You got it right. Metalcore was originally a portmanteau of the words "Metallic Hardcore". Over the years it's adopted elements from melodeath which made it what it is today.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.04.2011 - 22:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=111774] on 01.04.2011 at 09:08

I'm starting to think that metalcore and deathcore may not just be a trend, and that it may be a part of mainstream music for many years to come... Maybe it's just my ignorance, but didn't nu metal rise and fall in a matter of 5 years or so? And metalcore has been going on for at least 7 years now if I'm correct, and is still growing in popularity... Sigh...

Mmm metalcore has actually been going since the mid Eighties already
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.04.2011 - 06:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2011 at 22:27

Written by [user id=111774] on 01.04.2011 at 09:08

Mmm metalcore has actually been going since the mid Eighties already

I think he means in the more modern incarnation of it.

And Nu Metal never really fell. Things get cycled in and out of popularity. Nu Metal is still around, it just hit its crest of popularity I suppose.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.04.2011 - 06:07
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Yeah I do mean the modern incarnation. If I'm correct, metalcore in the 80's reffered to crossover thrash, which love. I also recently got into the metalcore bands Arkangel and Congress-which sound nothing like the current mainstream metalcore. Metal and hardcore fusing isn't a crazy idea, it's just being done so badly these days.
30.05.2011 - 05:48
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Metalcore wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the vocals. That wah wah emo vocals piss me off.
31.05.2011 - 08:57
brapp32
Check out August Burns Red and Parkway Drive. Neither band features emo vocals.
29.09.2011 - 13:49
Sevenfold were decent back in the days of the first album and Waking The Fallen. After that they turned rubbish, and Nightmare is NOT a return to form like some people say, but it in actual fact a travesty