Metal Storm logo
Most Important Metallica Album

Original post

Posted by Black Mass, 03.05.2007 - 05:07
I'm sitting at my desk at work slugging away on a 150 page pavement design report (yawn) when I decided I needed some music to get me going. I pulled out my trusty ipod and chose Metallica. After listening to Kill 'Em All, Master Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All, I began wondering which Metallica album is the most important. And by that I mean the album that had the biggest impact when it was released, the album that made them who they became and who they are today, the album that solidified their fan base and their place in the Heavy Metal music world.

For me, its Master Of Puppets. From the opening riff of Battery to the closing note of Damage Inc, the songs are well structured, powerful and remind me why Metallica were the first band I really got into all those years ago.

I did a search and couldn't find a similiar poll, so if there has been one already I apologise.
I also realise I have left of Garage Days Re-visited and S&M but decided they dont really rate in the poll.

Would love to read what anyone else has to say.

Poll

Which do you think is the most important Metallica album?

Master Of Puppets
Ride The Lightning
Kill 'Em All
Metallica (black album)
...And Justice For All
St. Anger
Load
Reload
Garage Days

Total votes: 255
09.10.2008 - 18:49
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Obviously Ride The Lightning. It doesn't only has my favourite songs (for whom the bell tolls, fight fire with fire, fade to black), but as a whole is the only Metallica album that I would call "flawless". Master Of Puppets, the only album that could match it under some point of view, is obviously overlong, I can't remember the last time I listened to it entirely. Before Orion I already get bored.
09.10.2008 - 18:58
Branzig
I think the answer would have to be Kill 'Em All. I mean there really wasn't anything like it before and it really revolutionized the metal world. I suppose you could say that without Kill 'Em All, there would be no thrash metal...and when we are talking about album importance, it doesn't get any more important to a genre than that.
----
In Grind We Crust
09.10.2008 - 19:32
Southern Wind
Account deleted
How can be still be people who think that Metallica were the inventors of Thrash?
09.10.2008 - 19:33
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by [user id=5080] on 09.10.2008 at 19:32

How can be still be people who think that Metallica were the inventors of Thrash?

If you think that's bad... I know people who think they invented metal...

666POSTAGE
09.10.2008 - 20:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 09.10.2008 at 19:33

666POSTAGE

Starting by themselves, as you must had noted if you saw the "Some Kind Of Monster" DVD

edit: congratulations about your 666
09.10.2008 - 20:34
Branzig

I got dogged on here a while back because I said Metallica was overrated and that I felt Venom and Motorhead did more for the genre of Thrash than any other bands did. I got so much flak that I decided to really check it out.

In my research, I found that most of the major players in the thrash community all state that without Metallica, thrash may not of turned out like it did. So while I am no Metallica fan and certainly don't feel that they were the say all to end all in thrash, I am just stating what I have heard/learned from the big players (slayer, anthrax, exodus, megadeth etc.). And I feel that the people who were there and lived it would know better then I.
----
In Grind We Crust
09.10.2008 - 21:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 09.10.2008 at 20:34

I got dogged on here a while back because I said Metallica was overrated and that I felt Venom and Motorhead did more for the genre of Thrash than any other bands did. I got so much flak that I decided to really check it out.

In my research, I found that most of the major players in the thrash community all state that without Metallica, thrash may not of turned out like it did. So while I am no Metallica fan and certainly don't feel that they were the say all to end all in thrash, I am just stating what I have heard/learned from the big players (slayer, anthrax, exodus, megadeth etc.). And I feel that the people who were there and lived it would know better then I.

Exactly, although both Motorhead and Venom were sort of an influence but Metallica really stepped it up a notch making other bands change their sound (Anthrax, Exodus, Slayer, Overkill) and made them want to play as fast and aggressive as Metallica at the time.

Just check out Get Thrashed: The Story Of Thrash Metal and what the pther thrash players have to say on Metallica's influence.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2008 - 21:31
Scottgun
Written by Introspekrieg on 09.10.2008 at 19:33

666POSTAGE

Probably the oddest claim I've heard is that surf guitarist Dick Dale was the "Father of Heavy Metal." I suppose there is a small kernal of truth in there as he was constantly pestering Fender to make amps that he could not fry with his loud playing.
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp
09.10.2008 - 21:36
Branzig
Quote:
Probably the oddest claim I've heard is that surf guitarist Dick Dale was the "Father of Heavy Metal." I suppose there is a small kernal of truth in there as he was constantly pestering Fender to make amps that he could not fry with his loud playing.

Dick Dale was the king of speed or tremolo picking...which is used a lot in both death and black metal, so...

Tremolo picking = black metal = kvlt = Dick Dale is necro
----
In Grind We Crust
09.10.2008 - 21:41
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Branzig on 09.10.2008 at 20:34

Now, with the explanation, I get your point and even agree with you... it was that quote of you saying that "without Kill'em All" there would be not thrash metal" what pissed me off at first. There would be thrash metal without Metallica, but of course it would be pretty different to what the genre is today.
11.10.2008 - 12:03
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I cant understand why most people dont like the black album I think it's metallica's best album
26.01.2009 - 20:44
Umideath
Master of ... is the greatest album.
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
26.01.2009 - 21:09
Luciferion
I went with ...and justice for all, that for me was the album they perfected, it was the perfect evolution of their music.

On a side note. how is St. Anger beating and justice in this pole? I guess shitty sound and recording are more important then one, if not the, best album they released.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
26.01.2009 - 22:07
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Luciferion on 26.01.2009 at 21:09

I went with ...and justice for all, that for me was the album they perfected, it was the perfect evolution of their music.

On a side note. how is St. Anger beating and justice in this pole? I guess shitty sound and recording are more important then one, if not the, best album they released.

St. Anger was a catharsis for the band, and the sound is not that shitty. I do agree that drums might sound annoying, but the songs are great generally speaking. ...And Justice For All had production problems too as we all know, but I can't see anything significant about this album for the band in any facet.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
26.01.2009 - 23:30
Luciferion
Written by K✞ulu on 26.01.2009 at 22:07

Written by Luciferion on 26.01.2009 at 21:09

St. Anger was a catharsis for the band, and the sound is not that shitty. I do agree that drums might sound annoying, but the songs are great generally speaking. ...And Justice For All had production problems too as we all know, but I can't see anything significant about this album for the band in any facet.

Are we listening to the same album? I'm not sure if you heard, He's madly in anger with you, or any of the other 500 horrid lines from St. Anger, but i assure you, they are there. Everyone always just writes that album off to drums only, but seriously the lyrics and vocals we're horrid, the riffs we're unimaginative and boring. Somehow that's better then AJFA? Which had ridiculous riffs, and the drumming was over 100x better then st. anger. Sure lyrically there may be some weak points (has Metallica ever been known for having decent lyrics [?]); but in AJFA the vocal tones, and delivery were miles above the trash that was st. anger.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
26.01.2009 - 23:38
Thrashard
Kill Em' All. It's probably my favorite and most played album from Metallica. The album set the standard for Thrash in America, and influenced countless bands in the Bay Area, California, and so on. In 'Get Thrashed' I remember hearing that Slayer was a cover band called 'Dragon Slayer' before Kill Em' All was released, and that all the bad bands all of a sudden got good after it came out.
27.01.2009 - 02:02
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
I say ride the lightning. im not a huge metallica fan, but ride the lightning is brilliant, and its not as boring as master of puppets.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
27.01.2009 - 09:15
Eeric
Account deleted
Kill Em' All. Only decent album they've made
28.01.2009 - 22:11
_HIV_
Kill 'em all! one of the heaviest albums that was done to that time! classic traxx like seek and destroy, whiplash and the 4 horseman are just awsome!
29.01.2009 - 10:34
The Butt
Account deleted
For me it's ...And Justice for All. I love the three albums before it, obviously, but for me, Justice was just such a step up. The guitar harmonizations, the really progressive song structures, the time-signature changes... it gave the band class. The material on Justice just screams "sophisticated" thrash to me.
04.02.2009 - 07:13
IronBlackZepp
I picked Ride the Lightning because at that time their were very few people who knew what thrash was and then along comes Ride the Lightning. Although no other Metallica album really sounds like it, it helped shape the band because it had a kind of maturity to it that Kill em all didnt have. All of the great Metallica albums after RTL had that maturity to them. Not that Kill em all was bad because I think it is great, but RTL was the begining of Metallica's polished sound and great lyrics.
04.03.2009 - 11:59
dunkelheit_13
Black Album is the best album of metallica for me. and I know that a lot of ppl think that Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning is. I like this album cause James has a better voice on it and Guitars Riffs in this album make me like the album more.
----
war is over if you want
21.03.2009 - 21:37
metalhead3
The most important is black album,i think,but my favourite is kill em' all
02.04.2009 - 02:02
BuzzPhil
...And Justice For All, Master Of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Black Album are all so importants... But I vote for Master Of Puppets.
03.04.2009 - 10:58
Brave
Written by Elio on 09.10.2008 at 16:49

Kill'em All is their most important album IMO...thash till the bone.
But, you know, The Black Album made them rich and worldwide famous.

I'm agree whit this. KEA is not mature thrash but it's okay. KEA is their "who can play fast heavier" thought.
And i'm first litsen Metallica (Black Album) then joined their music
06.04.2009 - 02:26
TormentoR.
..almost gave it to MoP .. but I gave vote to Ride The Lightning
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
25.04.2009 - 04:06
GULCH OF ROT
Mop is a game changer but rtl is less boring
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
29.04.2009 - 20:36
Xeros612
Written by Powerslavex on 11.10.2008 at 12:03

I cant understand why most people dont like the black album I think it's metallica's best album

Because the Black Album is when Metallica decided to sell out and become hard rock 'tallica. The Black Album is what started the sinking ship that didn't end until Death Magnetic(which basically put them in a lifeboat). I mean... just listen to the very simplified rhythms and boring whammy-bar whacking solos. It's the beginning of the downfall.
30.04.2009 - 07:43
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by BitterCOld on 16.04.2008 at 00:03

Written by Clintagräm on 15.04.2008 at 22:13

Written by Black Mass on 03.05.2007 at 05:07

...the album that had the biggest impact when it was released, the album that made them who they became and who they are today, the album that solidified their fan base and their place in the Heavy Metal music world.

While I'm not really a fan of Metallica, I can say with confidence this thread, like most "battle" threads, has become a favorites thread. Obviously, nothing had the impact, according to Black Mass' definition, that their self-titled release had. Nothing. Sure, maybe 'Kill 'Em All' made their name, 'Ride the Lightening' solidified their place in Metal, and 'Master of Puppets' was their magnum opus, but it was 'Metallica' which had the biggest impact, made them who they are today, and solidified their fan base. (I take "impact" to mean the influence and affect on people; I take "who they are today" to mean the money grubbing, lame composers they are today; and I take "solidified their fan base" to mean that it garnered them the most fans, though probably angered many.)

I don't really know how this is arguable. I'd say even 'Load' and 'Reload' are right behind 'Metallica' and they even charted better too. But I guess it just comes down to opinion as all polls do.

I agree with your assessment on this thread degenerating to favorites, rather than answering the question.

I would say it's mildly debatable, though as to which is most important.

"Metallica" (Black Album) was the most important to the band and their place in the world (and size of their bank accounts), but "Kill 'Em All" had a big hand in kick-starting the emergence of the thrash movement, which was in-turn partially responsible for helping spawn more extreme metal.

Ultimately I'm giving the nod to "Kill 'Em All" for it's role in the burgeoning thrash movement. I'll take the album that helped shape extreme metal rather than the radio-friendly hard rock which lined their bank accounts.

My favorite, "Master of Puppets" is probably the fourth most influential.

i posted this a full year ago and it still rings true now.

the thread is asking the MOST IMPORTANT Metallica release.

re-read that.

re-read that again.

re-read that a third time.

open your freezer, stick your head in, and repeatedly slam the door shut on your skull while repeating "Most Important. Most Important. Most Important" until you pass out on the floor with a concussion.

when you are released from the hospital, re-read that point a-fucking-gain.

MOST IMPORTANT <> your favorite metallica album.

i really couldn't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut what any of your favorite Metallica albums are. it is only slightly more relevant to this poll question than what your favorite food is or whether or not you have a superfluous third nipple.

it doesn't matter.

it asks which is the most important... not which is your favorite. and with that the case there are really only 2 or maybe 3 conceivable answers. "Kill 'Em All", "Metalica" or maybe "Ride the Lightning." How "Ride the Lightning II" is winning this poll blows my freaking mind. Or rather, it reassures me that the bulk of the respondents simply lack a brain of their own.

this poll is rendered useless and moot by people who simply do not get it.

reading comprehension for the win.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.04.2009 - 08:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Thrashard on 26.01.2009 at 23:38

In 'Get Thrashed' I remember hearing that Slayer was a cover band called 'Dragon Slayer' before Kill Em' All was released, .

You certainly gotta rewatch Get Thrashed cause NOWHERE in that documentary was that claimed. Btw Slayer were NEVER EVER called Dragonslayer.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996