Metal Storm logo
Bass players

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 30.06.2006 - 16:14
Well, I just like to know who the bass players on this forum are, the bass is not to be underestimated ...
I play bass myself, pretty shitty gear actually .. I'm playing exactly one year right now.
An adonis four strings, and a Stagg 80W amplifier, it's just doable to play in a band
Monday I'm recording a demo
I love to play rock and metal (of course) Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy name and Dream of Mirrors are heaven!

So .. What's your gear ? Favorite songs to play on the bass ? Band ?
04.05.2007 - 15:54
tip,sleeve
Account deleted
Hail Bassists!!
I was wondering if you can help me about finding out "the serie" of my bass guitar YAMAHA (5 stringed) the body is really common but the head is not..! I'll upload its picture as soon as possible thx anyway!
07.05.2007 - 22:41
dark awakening
Written by [user id=23586] on 04.05.2007 at 15:54

Hail Bassists!!
I was wondering if you can help me about finding out "the serie" of my bass guitar YAMAHA (5 stringed) the body is really common but the head is not..! I'll upload its picture as soon as possible thx anyway!

it's used or new?
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
09.05.2007 - 22:19
Sunioj
My Bass has gotten kaput for some reason, its like the volume has been reduced by 80%. I checked the pickups and the knobs, the all seem to be in perfect order, my friend suggested that it might a connection problem or that a "breaker" has died....it really sucks because my bass is my life,

any suggestions? I want to get it fixed, but I dont want to get ripped off though...
10.05.2007 - 12:34
Shadowmaker
Account deleted
Holla... I think i play bass for about 3years now. My main bass is Epiphone Thunderbird IV , and i use Behringer BX1200 for rehearsals.
I play hard rock/heavy metal in the ONLY Heavy Metal band in Latvia - Lazarus.
You can listen to one of our songs here : http://www.draugiem.lv/music/musician.php?mid=12447

The stuff i love to play - all kinds of. Iron Maiden and Kiss for their great melodic bass stuff , some excercises and shit. Now im kinda off-bass playing for a while - that means that i play only my own songs in band , and i play only on rehearsals - because i have other shit to do. But sure - i love the bass anyway
10.05.2007 - 12:48
tip,sleeve
Account deleted
Quote:
it's used or new?

It is a used one dark awakening and I think that its production stopped I saw marcus milled playin with a similar one Ill give u the serial number if it can help!
22.05.2007 - 21:12
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Any fretless bassists here?? This instrument fascinates me, Id like to try it some day.... If there are some of you here, say few words about expiriences with this instrument, please.
----
23.05.2007 - 11:04
Sunioj
I never tried it before, but you can check out how it sounds on Death - individual thought patterns. A very distinct clean sound for sliding et.c
23.05.2007 - 16:10
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Sunioj on 23.05.2007 at 11:04

I never tried it before, but you can check out how it sounds on Death - individual thought patterns. A very distinct clean sound for sliding et.c
Hahahah.... Well for first time I really became interested in fretlless bass, was when I heard it in "The Philosopher". Man, DiGiorgio fucking rulles! Its pretty good on Control Denied album "The fragile Art Of Existence" , too.
----
23.05.2007 - 16:12
Sunioj
Yeah, digorgio=mio dio!
18.06.2007 - 23:58
NECURATU
Dude Hellraizer, in case you haven't solved that, open 'er up and see if she's still fresh!
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
21.06.2007 - 16:59
Sunioj
Written by NECURATU on 18.06.2007 at 23:58

Dude Hellraizer, in case you haven't solved that, open 'er up and see if she's still fresh!

Hhaha yeah I finally got it fixed, I forgot to post though the knobs inside the bass needed to be rewired or smth, and surprisingly it only cost me like 25 bucks. Now I just need to re string!
21.06.2007 - 19:00
_Wotan_
I've got a BC Rich Warlock Platinum series with a HARLEY BENTON HB-80B amp. Nice bass with a powrful amp, sounds fucking great. My favourite song to play is Legend of a Banished Man by Amon Amarth, that song is awsome to play.
----
NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
[center][/center]
22.06.2007 - 09:33
Sunioj
Hey a question for you folks...

Im going to restring my basstrings really soon since I believe they are stretched and create string buzz ( its about 3 years old ).

But my main question was: Is there a certain brand or type of string I should get since I play metal and I downtune?
22.06.2007 - 17:19
Pagan Revival
Account deleted
Ever Tried GHS Bass Boomers ?
22.06.2007 - 17:27
Sunioj
Written by [user id=16511] on 22.06.2007 at 17:19

Ever Tried GHS Bass Boomers ?

Never have, Im looking at their website rite now and it sounds tempting. I wonder if my local shop has it, thanks for the suggestion!

Do you have an opinion on DR strings? I think De'angelo from Arch Enemy uses that type...
22.06.2007 - 20:52
NECURATU
I'm not really too much into strings, but that's because more than 50% of your tone doesn't come from the instrument itself, but from THE FINGERS. Remember that, it's really important. Your hands do absolutely everything. I use the cheapest possbile fender strings given my lack of resources, but hey, they really fuck when you play with your heart
----
22.06.2007 - 21:56
Sunioj
True, I play alternating two fingers with occasional three when more speed is required...fingers IS the way to go IMO. Im going to learn how to master 4 alternating since I found a good source of learning...the guy that fixed my bass suggested that I really should fix the strings, I mean I havent changed it since I got it from the shop which was almost 3 years ago!

Do you downtune? Im a fan of standard D, good for Death metal!
23.06.2007 - 00:35
NECURATU
Yey. I still have a long way to go, have been playing for just an year. Anyhow, I really like the way the tone changes when I downtune, it sounds so dirty but I don't do that often. Someone told me that with enough patience and work you can make it sound anyway you want regardless of tunning and I belive it's true. Right now I managed to get this strong tone from my 4 string Fender P-Bass Squire rip off by plucking a few centimeters to the right of the pickups, and by adjusting the EQ from the amp this way: bass half way through, middle three quarters (really brings the balls in the sound) and treble one quarter.
I don't play that much death metal really. I like playing...weird stuff I'll show you when I get some decent recording equipment (read a microphone that doesn't distort everything up)
----
23.06.2007 - 11:04
Sunioj
That sounds like an interesting EQ, usually I put the bass knob part almost 3 quarters and middle on half or one quarter. getting the sound without downtuning eh? I honestly never heard that before...sounds interesting though, because downtuning can be a bitch, well unless I dont mind playing the song an octave higher or a even a fifth higher to avoid downtuning...
23.06.2007 - 12:18
NECURATU
Well, you see, i think it's a bit impossible to make it sound br00tal like Suffocation or the likes because the frequencies themselves are not that low. But tunning (or how you play) has nothing to do with WHAT you play. You can just as well play happy tunes in D tunning or do the most disturbing music in standard tunning. I keep it in E mostly because of Metallica . I picked up the bass because of Cliff Burton and i like to play a song along once in a while. Also, I think that the way I play isn't really suited for D tunning. I like high tones and stuff. Anyhow, just remember it's equally important what you play and how you play, though these two things don't aren't really dependent one of another. If D tunning makes you happy then just play it like that. Also if you like that very strong sound a pick makes, use a pick! I can't really feel my guitar with a pick, I guess that's because i'm a lefty but play on a normal guitar (i don't have to money for lefty, they are more expensive ffs o.O ), but again, once in a while I sit down and pull some chords and stuff, and they really sound strong! Nails produce a somewhat similar effect, but a pick really sounds like a fist in the nuts!

I just tried your EQ setting...that's death metal stuff too low a tone for me, and in my case the sound also gets weaker, since i dont' have that strong a bass.
----
25.06.2007 - 12:45
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Sunioj on 22.06.2007 at 09:33

Hey a question for you folks...

Im going to restring my basstrings really soon since I believe they are stretched and create string buzz ( its about 3 years old ).

But my main question was: Is there a certain brand or type of string I should get since I play metal and I downtune?

Rotosound strings are the best ever
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.06.2007 - 12:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
anyway, i haves a contrasting set up. i have a MusicMan StingRay 4 playing through a GK110 combo. the bass is heavenly but the amp is too small for a band setting with guitar players playing through half stacks. favorite songs to play are mainly Iron Maiden songs. To Tame a Land is probably my all time favorite. oh and i dont play with a pick.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
25.06.2007 - 13:13
Sunioj
Written by NECURATU on 23.06.2007 at 12:18

I just tried your EQ setting...that's death metal stuff too low a tone for me, and in my case the sound also gets weaker, since i dont' have that strong a bass.

Haha yeah lol thats what Im talking about! I like the thick tone of the bass on DM, but when Im jamming with friends or smth I like doing smth similar to yours, a more pleasent and rockish sound. The reason I like using fingers, is because of the brighter sound of the note, the differrence is pretty apparent when you use a pick. If I ever use a pick, I use like 2 mm?
25.06.2007 - 17:23
NECURATU
No ideea about picks really. I only played around with picks made for strumming an acoustic guitar so you can imagine the outcome. They sound punchy but also give a scraching sound that dissapears I guess when the pick is thicker.
----
02.07.2007 - 16:24
Phase
Account deleted
I try to play bass, never want to play in a performing band or to look cool, just love the sound... but can't exactly afford a teacher. Never taken a music class in school, so I have no idea about scales, notes, proper tuning... Can hardly even recall how to play things I learned just a day before on tab. Only started playing last month and have a few good internet resources, but I feel thoroughly lost and would appreciate any and all tips or suggestions that you have to give.
I have a standard Fender P bass and can play a few simple songs, but If anyone knows any other easy-ish songs or anything i would be very grateful!
~
02.07.2007 - 17:40
Sunioj
If you practice a good amount of time each day ( like an hour ) then you will start remembering better. You shouldnt worry about scales and chord theory just yet, take the time to practice and know your bass before reading all the garble. After you have a good feel for where the notes are on the fretboad, then I would say learn a scale or two such as a major scale or minor pentatonic.

Heres some things that I would recommend:

Alice in chains - the rooster
Rage against the machine - killing in the name of
Ac/DC- back in black
Accept - metal heart

Theres also lots of good suggestions on the "easy and good bass lines"
03.07.2007 - 01:12
Majesty
Account deleted
Written by [user id=19140] on 02.07.2007 at 16:24

I try to play bass, never want to play in a performing band or to look cool, just love the sound... but can't exactly afford a teacher. Never taken a music class in school, so I have no idea about scales, notes, proper tuning... Can hardly even recall how to play things I learned just a day before on tab. Only started playing last month and have a few good internet resources, but I feel thoroughly lost and would appreciate any and all tips or suggestions that you have to give.
I have a standard Fender P bass and can play a few simple songs, but If anyone knows any other easy-ish songs or anything i would be very grateful!
~

Dont go to a music class,instead ask any bassist for tips. Hellraizer is right, you should first familiarize your fingers on the fret board and know what notes you're playing. play everyday, one basic exercise is to do the chormatic scale up and down the neck... I dont recommend tabs but if u like to learn songs in a fast approach its ok,.. about easy ish songs..i suggest u choose any song you like that u think is easy by listening carefully. Train your ears. plus, whatever song u chose u will enjoy it more while u play it. , Dont get frustrated if you made mistakes. wanting to play bass just because u love the sound of it is a great start.
03.07.2007 - 01:45
NECURATU
Hehe, i can't afford a teacher either, but it's got to work one way or another. If you haven't found it already, try www.studybass.com It helped me out a hell of a lot. I love these people that can make you play better by talking about anything except playing the bass.

Anyhow, I had a really ugly start about an year ago when I picked it up. Ffs, I couldn't even play eight notes like ding, ding, ding, ding. I felt like a total loser and I still have that feeling a lot when I hear a good bass player actually knowing how to use the instrument hehehe. But then again, I look out the window and I realise...we're talking about sound waves here...nothing is safe from my wrath So be patient and take advantage of every minute you've got and marry that bass. Who knows where it's gonna get you

P.S. I wrote this earlier but anyhow, I have a standard Squire P Bass , I think it would actually serve better as a baseball bat than a musical instrument but in time you'll starting making things sound the way you want them to sound, regardless of your tools. Just be patient with yourself and play!
----
03.07.2007 - 16:33
dark awakening
another good thing that can help you without a teacher is the software Guitar Pro 5; it's a great programm! with it you can easily learn lots of songs.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
03.07.2007 - 17:14
Sunioj
Written by dark awakening on 03.07.2007 at 16:33

another good thing that can help you without a teacher is the software Guitar Pro 5; it's a great programm! with it you can easily learn lots of songs.

Thats true...guitar pro is a really good way of learning, alot of instruments. It also has notation, and you can edit and set up your own drums to create your own beat as to replace a metronome.